Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Jets Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
    thanks for posting. always nice to have outside opinions to mitigate all the Jet bias

    I'm really happy with the Revis signing. i was worried when we traded up incase they took Hall, which would have been fine, but i've liked Revis alot more. Solid pick, especially with all the anti the Pats have (even pre-Moss). hopefully he turns out the way i think he can.

    Harris is a nice pick, really happy with it and i think we know the value and what is expected of him.

    I'm not to familiar with the lower picks, but from others descriptions, and considering some of the solid picks the last 2 years, i'll have faith.

    I saw someone else say, and i also thought about it, that i was hoping that the Jets could have made a play for Alan Branch just because he dropped so far and would be a nice NT. but i'll happily stay with what we got, and i'm always worried about dropping Tackles with apparent bad work ethic
    I don't buy Branch at NT, I think he could play it but I don't think he would be anything special. He's a big guy and a good 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE, but he plays a little too high to anchor the line at NT. The best NT prospect in this draft IMO was Tank Tyler. He's stout and really strong. What happened with Alan Branch this year is kind of what happened last year with Gabe Watson who coincidentally, also went to Michigan. Fat and lazy could just be the way Michigan DT's are meant to be seen.

    This year now that the LB's all fit the system (except Vilma but I expect he will play better in it this year with an improved supporting cast) it'll be pretty apparent what the final weak spots are that need to be fixed. NT is the icing on the cake for good 3-4 defenses, you guys can probably get a good one in next years draft, and then the Jets 3-4 will be on the same level as the Steelers has been and the Chargers has been.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by cunningham06 View Post
      I don't buy Branch at NT, I think he could play it but I don't think he would be anything special. He's a big guy and a good 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE, but he plays a little too high to anchor the line at NT. The best NT prospect in this draft IMO was Tank Tyler. He's stout and really strong. What happened with Alan Branch this year is kind of what happened last year with Gabe Watson who coincidentally, also went to Michigan. Fat and lazy could just be the way Michigan DT's are meant to be seen.

      This year now that the LB's all fit the system (except Vilma but I expect he will play better in it this year with an improved supporting cast) it'll be pretty apparent what the final weak spots are that need to be fixed. NT is the icing on the cake for good 3-4 defenses, you guys can probably get a good one in next years draft, and then the Jets 3-4 will be on the same level as the Steelers has been and the Chargers has been.

      One thing I'm glad we didn't do in this year's draft was go after a 3-4 DE/OLB tweener. There were some definite good ones, but no Great ones. Since we took an LB (I still would have preferred we went O-line, but I like Harris) I'm glad it was an ILB and not an OLB. We solidified the interior and still have those good but not great OLB's. Hopefully next year we can get a great NT or OLB depending on the bigger need, what's availible, our draft position, etc. But there simply was NO great NT's or 3-4 OLB's in this year's pool.

      Next year in FA and the Draft, we'll need the RT, NT, and and maybe OLB upgrade. But they simply weren't able to be filled this year while still getting good value on the picks.


      Comment


      • Ya, i'v ebeen talking about Gabe Watson as Alan Branch with my dad, in the sense that they slowly and gradually both dropped after being considered top talents. Branch didn't fall as far obviously. I wasn't sure if Branch could play it, but thanks for clearing that up. That would be my only nit pick, not getting that NT, and i think the Jets may have drafted Woodley as that edge rusher had he not been takin one pick ahead of our seconds rounder


        Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

        Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
        You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
          One thing I'm glad we didn't do in this year's draft was go after a 3-4 DE/OLB tweener. There were some definite good ones, but no Great ones. Since we took an LB (I still would have preferred we went O-line, but I like Harris) I'm glad it was an ILB and not an OLB. We solidified the interior and still have those good but not great OLB's. Hopefully next year we can get a great NT or OLB depending on the bigger need, what's availible, our draft position, etc. But there simply was NO great NT's or 3-4 OLB's in this year's pool.

          Next year in FA and the Draft, we'll need the RT, NT, and and maybe OLB upgrade. But they simply weren't able to be filled this year while still getting good value on the picks.
          Nice insight. I'll admit though, I would've liked Anthony Spencer but I do think Revis was a much better prospect and pick. I hope next year therell be a true NT for us in the draft, if not a good OLB. My question is...now that we didnt draft a pass rushing OLB, does that mean David Bowens may start opposite Bryan Thomas.

          DChess...youre the man!

          Comment


          • no. hobson will be our starter across from thomas. im happy about that too. i wasnt crazy on the idea of moving him inside with vilma. the harris draft makes that unlikely now. Thomas will be our primary pass rusher with hobson on the other side rushing the passer and playing the run some. with hobson behind ellis...we have a side that will get enough pressure on the qb between the two and will still be stout vs the run. I just want a DE to suck up blocks on the other side to fully free thomas on the other side to go QB hunting every play like merriman can.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ncstateviking View Post
              no. hobson will be our starter across from thomas. im happy about that too. i wasnt crazy on the idea of moving him inside with vilma. the harris draft makes that unlikely now. Thomas will be our primary pass rusher with hobson on the other side rushing the passer and playing the run some. with hobson behind ellis...we have a side that will get enough pressure on the qb between the two and will still be stout vs the run. I just want a DE to suck up blocks on the other side to fully free thomas on the other side to go QB hunting every play like merriman can.
              Hopefully Kenyon Coleman can be that guy, the coaching staff is very high on him and he has experience as a 3-4 DE coming from Dallas.

              DChess...youre the man!

              Comment


              • any1 wanna post what our defense excactly is for this upcoming year- we brought in so many people it's hard to sort them all out

                For me:
                DE-Ellis
                NT-Robertson
                DE-??

                OLB-B. Thomas
                MLB-Vilma
                MLB-Harris
                OLB-??

                CB-Dyson
                FS-E. Coleman
                SS-Rhodes
                CB-Revis


                ^^Sig From Nvot9
                J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by throwback54milkman View Post
                  any1 wanna post what our defense excactly is for this upcoming year- we brought in so many people it's hard to sort them all out

                  For me:
                  DE-Ellis
                  NT-Robertson
                  DE-??

                  OLB-B. Thomas
                  MLB-Vilma
                  MLB-Harris
                  OLB-??

                  CB-Dyson
                  FS-E. Coleman
                  SS-Rhodes
                  CB-Revis
                  Just a guess by me

                  DE-Ellis
                  NT-Robertson
                  DE-Coleman

                  OLB-B. Thomas/Hobson
                  MLB-Vilma
                  MLB-Harris
                  OLB-Barton/Bowens

                  CB-Dyson
                  FS-E. Coleman
                  SS-Rhodes
                  CB-Revis

                  And my only real problem with the Revis pick is this, if there is one problem I'm worried won't be able to pull his weight, its Robertson at NT and I think Alan Branch could.

                  Comment


                  • robertson had a strong second half of the season from what i remember, hopefully that can continue for one more year, but yes, he's a little out of his natural position to say the least


                    Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

                    Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                    You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

                    Comment


                    • I am a Giants fan, but not a Jet hater at all. gonna throw my 2 cents on your draft.


                      Darrelle Revis- I think the guy is a good player, but I think that you guys gave up far too much to move up and get him

                      David Harris- I think mid second round was his actual value. I think he was overrated. Again, I think he is a good player and a solid value at the position but not a player worthy of trading up to get.

                      Jacob Bender- A project pick that I like on the line. solid value and could develop into something nice.

                      Chansi Stuckey- This was a very nice pick. The guy should turn into a solid #3 reciever and should be a nice pick from a value perspective. my favorite Jets pick of the draft.

                      I've been a casual Jets fan over the years, but I plan on watching more Jets games this season to watch some of the players I really like play.



                      I think all the guys the Jets drafted are solid, but I didnt like any of the trades you guys made. It was unnecessary, and I think that if you didnt trade up, you could have probably had Aaron Ross, Brian Leonard, and David Harris with your top 3 picks which would have been a lot better then what you ended up with, plus you would have a lot of later picks

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
                        robertson had a strong second half of the season from what i remember, hopefully that can continue for one more year, but yes, he's a little out of his natural position to say the least
                        He has all the natural skills needed to play NT. He's just learning the position. He's always been told to get by the Center, lock on and plug the hole on either side of him. He has all the physical skills needed to be a good NFL NT. He gets this year to see if he can complete the transition.


                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Shockey80 View Post

                          I think all the guys the Jets drafted are solid, but I didnt like any of the trades you guys made. It was unnecessary, and I think that if you didnt trade up, you could have probably had Aaron Ross, Brian Leonard, and David Harris with your top 3 picks which would have been a lot better then what you ended up with, plus you would have a lot of later picks
                          We would have not been able to get Ross, as he went before the 25th pick. And Revis would have been taken by the Steelers, so the CB order would have been the same.

                          I don't understand how you think David Harris would have fallen to the late 2nd. Same with Leonard. They both went way before our late picks.

                          If we'd had stayed put, we'd have had something more like:
                          Chris Houston
                          Buster Davis
                          Sabby Piscitelli



                          And as for the late round picks.... when you are a team like the Jets who don't need to add major amounts of depth. What's the point in having 10 2nd day draft picks when you only have room for 5 total draft picks? Teams like the Jets with lots of depth don't need the late rounders. True, they may get lucky and strike gold, but playing the lottery isn't the way to run an NFL franchise.


                          Comment


                          • so ive been hearing that the jets were shopping kendall in the draft; who would be replacing him on the O-line this year? I was a little shocked cause he had a pretty good year last year between D'brick and mangold. Also, where is Haynes, Wadsworth projected to play? they both have solid size for a 3-4 DE, but it seems that Ellis and COleman will be our starters, are they planning on slimming down and playing OLB or just competition for the DEs?

                            "When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

                            Comment


                            • Haynes and Wadsworth will be playing DE, they'd backup at linebacker anyway so there's no point in slimming down. Bowens I'd imagine will play LB though. And I would assume if we gave away Kendall we would have taken a guard with that pick.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
                                so ive been hearing that the jets were shopping kendall in the draft; who would be replacing him on the O-line this year?
                                Boy it sure would have been good if the Jets had drafted a guard or something.


                                Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
                                I was a little shocked cause he had a pretty good year last year between D'brick and mangold. Also, where is Haynes, Wadsworth projected to play? they both have solid size for a 3-4 DE, but it seems that Ellis and COleman will be our starters, are they planning on slimming down and playing OLB or just competition for the DEs?
                                David Bowens is 265. OLB
                                Michael Haynes is 283. DE if a little undersizd. Yes, 283 is a little undersized for 3-4 DE.
                                Andre Wadsworth is 272. I'm gonna have to say OLB.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information