Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in order to do the 3-4 we NEED a dominant NT. i mean that position is the most important in the 3-4 because it is the anchor of the defense. robertson is a good DT but not a NT. without having a NT we should not be using the 3-4 the majority of the time.
    Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• I thought you guys would be the best people to ask, what is going on with Thomas Jones? I expected massive things from him this year, he was good last year with the Bears and i thought your O-Line was even better than theirs. Is it his calf, the O-Line or something else? Thanks for the help.

p.s Im a Steelers fan, and seems i know the 3-4 prety well, i can safely say, that this year your D' would be much better playing a base 4-3. You have to have a plugger as NT, and Robertson is more of a penetrator.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jakey View Post
        I thought you guys would be the best people to ask, what is going on with Thomas Jones? I expected massive things from him this year, he was good last year with the Bears and i thought your O-Line was even better than theirs. Is it his calf, the O-Line or something else? Thanks for the help.

p.s Im a Steelers fan, and seems i know the 3-4 prety well, i can safely say, that this year your D' would be much better playing a base 4-3. You have to have a plugger as NT, and Robertson is more of a penetrator.
        I would say it is mostly the line not consistently opening up holes and possibly play calling? I really think that the idea for bringing him here would be to open up the play-action that pennington runs second to only peyton manning in my eyes. THe problem is, we havn't run the ball or passed the ball extremely well on a consistent basis, so the defense doesn't really have to key in on anything. As of now I would say the opposing defenses dont have to game plan around one particular aspect of our game and until we are consistently hurting teams with a particular part of our offense it is going to stay that way.
        As for your assesment of our defense, i would say a large group of us would 100% agree. Although I would like to think that the coaches know more about football than us and wouldn't do anything stupid just to fuel their ego.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• I think another major problem with Thomas Jones and our passing game as well is our inability to get the ball downfield. Teams are able to stack the box to stop the run and have more defenders in the area of our where our short passes are going to go, because they don't fear us going over the top and getting a big play. It hurts both the pass and run game, the only reason we're able to pass the ball is because Pennington is unbelievably accurate, and even so our receivers often get hit hard after making catches because defenders can anticipate the short passes.

Comment

• Cheers for the info man, Good luck against the G-Men.

Comment

• I was upset to learn that coleman's head injury was updated to a concussion. However, I am looking forward to see what Eric smith can do if he does indeed start. From everything that I heard during preseason, he had the starting job all but locked up until he hurt his hammy.

I know he's been doing some ST and whatnot, but is his hammy 100% and if it has been why hasn't he been starting? Is it cause he missed too much practice or what?

and in unrelated jets news. if you guys love guitar, check out duane allman's multiple solos on derek and the domninoes, they'll change your life hah.
              Last edited by BroadwayJoe10; 10-05-2007, 12:56 AM.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• We need to beat the Gmen today. I live in NJ so i hear so much from Giants fans, and today better be the day where they all shut up. I have a bunch of money plus a week straight of jersey bets (if gmen win i have to wear giants jerseys to school for a week), so the Jets better come out on top.
                Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• we just flat out are not going to win games when pennington makes careless errors like that. This is the 2nd week in a row he pretty much gave the game away towards the end. He makes nice plays and calls throughout the game, then it seems at some points you just can't fahtom what he just did. Now, I love chad, always have but 2:5 td:int ratio the last two game is unacceptable. Especially since they were two very winnable games. Now, I'm not hating on chad becuase we lost, I just hate seeing these turnoevers late in the game that we can't come back from. I feel that Clemens deserves his shot now that we are 1-4.

Some good things however; Dbrick and the line played pretty well against a giants team that had double digit sacks in the last game. Up until that last sack where osi hurt himself, dbrick looked good against him. I did like seeing chris baker being more involved in the pass game, he has terrific hands.

This is the 2nd straight week where chad took a hit after he released the ball, and you know if that was on Tom brady it would have been called in a second. There was no excuse for a no-call considering it was right in front of the ref. Oh well, I will be looking forward to hearing what everyone else thought about the game.

Comment

• 21 unanswered points? Give me a break

After Eli's interception, weren't we on the 30 with around 35 seconds left? How come we didn't take a shot at 6? I think we had at least one TO.

Nugent has to get his act together. It was nice to see him make that last one (barely), but these are really costing us. Last week, we could have been driving for the win not the tie.

Pennington's play has really declined these last two weeks. Last week wasn't terrible but his turnovers are killing us. The first and 3rd picks were not nearly as bad as that second pick.

EDIT: Also, to be perfectly honest, I wasn't really worried at all with the loss of Miller when it happened and am not worried at all now.

Defense had a few big stops, especially giving us an opportunity on that last drive before the 3rd INT, but they seemed like they could not stop the Giants offense. Giants first possession in the second half, they scored in like 8 plays.
                    Last edited by AlexDown; 10-07-2007, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• I can't believe how much this team has regressed from last year. Last year this kind of game would've been in the bag at half-time. I'm already starting to lose faith in Mangini. Going by last year, games like this would never have even been imagined.

I certainly didn't expect this team to win very much this year, but to lose like this is just ridiculous.

Comment

• That is the thing that is bothering me. If Chad had thrown for 3 tds or gotten us into the endzone more, than his ints, although terrible, wouldn't be absolutely crippling. However, he is just flat out not getting us into the endzone. His int's are coming at the worst possible times; not that they really can come at a good time, but late in the game when we need points on the board. His play, like Alex said, is just declining it seems. I know our line isn't opening any real holes for the running game, but they were doing a pretty good job of pass blocking. He is still very efficient, but the ones that aren't going to our recievers are getting picked off lol and you can't win like that, especially when we don't have a high-powered offense.

edit: I don't think mangini can be blamed too much for this, the play calling and prep seemed to be fine. I really feel that when our QB/leader of the team coughs up the ball 3 times you start to feel "what do we have to do to win this game," it takes a lot out of you. I truly feel it is now time to put clemens in; I really just don't feel that Chad gives us the best chance to win anymore, sorry. I beleive that Kellen is going to be our future and I think that we ought to give him the experience he needs now.
                        Last edited by BroadwayJoe10; 10-07-2007, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• On two of his picks, disregarding the pick that was just AWFUL decision making and an even worse throw which hung up in the air for at least 10 seconds, I think Chad's decision making was fine. But I think this has shown that Chad simply does NOT have the arm to be a great NFL QB. Even when he makes good decisions, he just doesnt have the velocity to get the ball to the sidelines and CBs have consistently been jumping his routes as the ball hangs in the air for deflections and picks. It also leaves the WRs very vulnerable to big hits, which is something that always scares me.

So, with that said, let the Kellen Clemens era begin!

DChess...youre the man!

Comment

• I am pretty sure that mangini said that Chad was going to be the starter next week anyways. Is mangini's reason for naming Chad as the starter, that he doesn't want to act like they are conceding the season? Because, I dont think it would look like that; actually I think as of now he would give us a better shot. I beleive teams would underlook at us as a 1-4 team with a young qb. Anyways, I want to know everyone's opinion now on who they would like to start the rest of the season?

Comment

• We can't give up 35 points a game. A lot of the blame is on the defense, probably even more so then on offense. Also, Nugent has to start making kicks consistently.

Comment

• I love, absolutely love Chad Pennington. But I think eventually, somewhere around the midway point, we're going to have to strongly consider starting Clemens. I think he gives us a better chance to run the ball because safeties have to play deeper, the ability to stretch the field with the pass, and keeps our wideouts from getting hit hard. He deserves a shot at some point this season, and I think he does need to start for us relatively soon. Again, I love Pennington but Clemens is the future and we may as well see how he's doing.

By the way, I wrote something up on players I think we may take a look at come draft day in the what positions should we take thread, if anybody gets a chance I'd like your thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information