This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOLY SH*T!! HUGE NEWS

Chad Pennington & Laveranues Coles to be Traded to Kansas City?

JetNation.com has learned that the Jets have had conversations with the Kansas City Chiefs about a blockbuster trade. The Jets would send both Chad Pennington and Laveranues Coles to Kansas City in exchange for the Chiefs 1st round pick. The Jets would also receive a 4th rounder and a possible 2nd day pick in the 2009 draft. The 2009 pick would be tied in some way to performance. We are told that a deal is essentially in place and it will be announced in the off-season.

Max notes that this is the same story that broke the information on Andre Wadsworth … so take that for what it’s worth …

Ok, first off i want to say how much i absolutely love coles and think he is a player that everyone should be modeled after. That having been said, pennington is as good as gone after this season and like HCBRAD pointed out, tonight showed that he is most definately starting QB material who can bring u deep if you have the right surrounding cast. Coles on the other hand, is our best offensive weapon. Hell, he could be our only offensive weapon really. Coles isn't staying for much longer anyways, and I am always one for trading stars for good value before they decline. I think this trade works out well for both teams, but we would almot certainly have to look for a reciever in the first day to take his place. Becuase as of now, it would be cotchery, smith, wallace wright and good sweet lord Justin Mccareins. Oh and chris baker, which is helpful. So, I want to know everyones opinion and thoughts on this. I for one think this would be a good trade for us and we'd be getting a pick around #20 and an extra 4th rounder, which we always seem to pick well at that spot.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Sorry for the caps I wasn't yelling at you or any comments you made I closed the statement with CAPS because i hit it by accident and didnt want to retype it. that said i do think we should look at the FA list and see whats viable. Thats all
      QB, OG, OLB, WR, CB, MLB, RB, FS

Exactly Why The Jets were the Coolest Team in the NFL under Rex, but Bowles is the man-see Arians speech:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Comment

• Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
        HOLY SH*T!! HUGE NEWS

JetNation.com has learned that the Jets have had conversations with the Kansas City Chiefs about a blockbuster trade. The Jets would send both Chad Pennington and Laveranues Coles to Kansas City in exchange for the Chiefs 1st round pick. The Jets would also receive a 4th rounder and a possible 2nd day pick in the 2009 draft. The 2009 pick would be tied in some way to performance. We are told that a deal is essentially in place and it will be announced in the off-season.

Max notes that this is the same story that broke the information on Andre Wadsworth … so take that for what it’s worth …

Ok, first off i want to say how much i absolutely love coles and think he is a player that everyone should be modeled after. That having been said, pennington is as good as gone after this season and like HCBRAD pointed out, tonight showed that he is most definately starting QB material who can bring u deep if you have the right surrounding cast. Coles on the other hand, is our best offensive weapon. Hell, he could be our only offensive weapon really. Coles isn't staying for much longer anyways, and I am always one for trading stars for good value before they decline. I think this trade works out well for both teams, but we would almot certainly have to look for a reciever in the first day to take his place. Becuase as of now, it would be cotchery, smith, wallace wright and good sweet lord Justin Mccareins. Oh and chris baker, which is helpful. So, I want to know everyones opinion and thoughts on this. I for one think this would be a good trade for us and we'd be getting a pick around #20 and an extra 4th rounder, which we always seem to pick well at that spot.
        we would pick around 6 as of now and have 2 top 10 picks
        gholston and slight trade down for kelly? I like the value esp bc coles has been injured, but considering we would use the pick to draft a wr that helps.

ONLY PROBLEM IS MONEY guaranteed money that comes with top 10 1st round picks.

I would love this to happen but Ill believe it when I see it. No offense I believe your story that its a possibility but Im a Jets fan I expect to get dissapointed..you know the drill
        QB, OG, OLB, WR, CB, MLB, RB, FS

Exactly Why The Jets were the Coolest Team in the NFL under Rex, but Bowles is the man-see Arians speech:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Comment

• Originally posted by hcbrad08 View Post
          we would pick around 6 as of now and have 2 top 10 picks
          gholston and slight trade down for kelly? I like the value esp bc coles has been injured, but considering we would use the pick to draft a wr that helps.

ONLY PROBLEM IS MONEY guaranteed money that comes with top 10 1st round picks.

I would love this to happen but Ill believe it when I see it. No offense I believe your story that its a possibility but Im a Jets fan I expect to get dissapointed..you know the drill
          Yaa, i'm an idiot on that one hah. I knew it said kansas city and i looked at the skins. I even checked it over twice too. Anyways, i think a slight trade down is definately in the picture, especially because of the money. And you are right, i will believe this when i see, becuase as of now it seems a bit too good to be true.

Edit: I just realized how badly i want that trade to happen and now this is gonna be another one of those times where i fall in love with a certain pick or trade scenario and when it doesn't go through i just get depressed hah.
          Last edited by BroadwayJoe10; 12-17-2007, 01:10 AM.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Originally posted by hcbrad08 View Post
            Sorry for the caps I wasn't yelling at you or any comments you made I closed the statement with CAPS because i hit it by accident and didnt want to retype it. that said i do think we should look at the FA list and see whats viable. Thats all
            Heh, I was being completely sarcastic, guess I was to subtle.

I really don't know what to say about this trade. I would be really surprised if it happened though.

Comment

• I think from our team's standpoint that would be a pretty good trade. Coles is on the way out soon IMO and Pennington is probably not going to be starting for us much longer. Obviously personally I don't like this trade very much because LC is a real leader for this team, amazing ballplayer, our best offensive player, and a truly good person. Pennington I really like a lot as well, but LC has always been one of my favorite Jets. Also it kind of sticks us into total rebuilding mode and we lose a couple of our best offensive players, especially off the line. That said I think this is a really good deal for the future of this football team if it does happen, it'd just be disappointing because it does show we're rebuilding and I would miss having LC on the team though I'd certainly hope both of them have great success in KC. Not sure I see it happening, but those are my thoughts if it does.

Comment

• A QB who obviously would be dealt and a WR who is about to turn 30 in a couple weeks, and has already started grumbling about retirement, and coming off an injury filled season, for a top 10 pick?

I don't know if I believe it...

Comment

• Originally posted by CannedToast View Post
                  A QB who obviously would be dealt and a WR who is about to turn 30 in a couple weeks, and has already started grumbling about retirement, and coming off an injury filled season, for a top 10 pick?

I'm with you there.

Only thing that makes me think there's any chance that this is true is we have Herm Edwards on the other side of the deal. From the Chiefs standpoint I guess it makes some sense because Herm obviously wants to win now or else he's going to get fired. They have a defense that is playing well right now and LC and Penny would give them a solid offense as well. LJ is very good at RB, and would set up Penny's playaction which is a big strength. LC and Bowe are two very good receivers on the outside and could open things up for Tony Gonzalez in the middle. If they feel they can address the OL in FA or with their second and third round picks, it could make sense. That said, the OL is the big weakness on this team and the deal kind of seems like a desperate attempt to compete again and they'd be left with their problem anyway, a weak offensive line.

Only time will tell I guess. A big concern for me is what we're going to do with the wide receiver position especially with a young QB. Obviously there's going to be some big names out there in trades (Roy Williams, one of the Bengals' starters?) but FA doesn't offer much and all of those guys have some question marks from character or something else. Another thing we have in our favor is Chad's solid performance against the Pats, could certainly drive up his value a tad.

Comment

• Originally posted by CannedToast View Post
                    A QB who obviously would be dealt and a WR who is about to turn 30 in a couple weeks, and has already started grumbling about retirement, and coming off an injury filled season, for a top 10 pick?

The only thing I can personally think of is maybe do to the very thing FA class at WR coles could be considered a very late first and early 2nd? I mean Welker, who is a few years younger, went for a 2nd and a 7th, so I guess it is possible to rationalize getting roughly a first for coles. And pennington, due to the other thing FA class for QB's could garner a high 3rd; remember, miami gave a 5th for Trent Green who was 37 and injury prone, which could have escalated to a 4th if he reached certain incentives. That having been said, I can somewhat see the 1st and 4th, but I really don't see it happening. I wonder how long ago they were in talks, becuase it could have been when kansas city was more in the middle of the 1st round. Additionally, I don't think it will be money and worrying to sign draft picks, because they are considerably under the cap; roughly 20 mill or so. So, while i am a huge fan of this trade, I just don't see it happening.

Comment

The only thing I can personally think of is maybe do to the very thing FA class at WR coles could be considered a very late first and early 2nd? I mean Welker, who is a few years younger, went for a 2nd and a 7th, so I guess it is possible to rationalize getting roughly a first for coles. And pennington, due to the other thing FA class for QB's could garner a high 3rd; remember, miami gave a 5th for Trent Green who was 37 and injury prone, which could have escalated to a 4th if he reached certain incentives. That having been said, I can somewhat see the 1st and 4th, but I really don't see it happening. I wonder how long ago they were in talks, becuase it could have been when kansas city was more in the middle of the 1st round. Additionally, I don't think it will be money and worrying to sign draft picks, because they are considerably under the cap; roughly 20 mill or so. So, while i am a huge fan of this trade, I just don't see it happening.
                      Like I said in my post above, only reason I see this deal happening is for Herm to take a last ditch effort at saving his job and trying to build the offense. The thing is, a late first/early second and a third in value only get you another mid-late first, not a couple top 10 picks and change. Only things I see possibly driving this deal are our leverage and their desperation, but I just don't see it happening like everyone else. It'd be amazing though.

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                        Like I said in my post above, only reason I see this deal happening is for Herm to take a last ditch effort at saving his job and trying to build the offense. The thing is, a late first/early second and a third in value only get you another mid-late first, not a couple top 10 picks and change. Only things I see possibly driving this deal are our leverage and their desperation, but I just don't see it happening like everyone else. It'd be amazing though.
                        Yaa, I'm just gonna go ahead and chalk it up to not happening so I don't go getting upset when it doesn't. Meanwhile, I'll go ahead and get my hopes up about drafting vernon gholston and the beastly numbers he will put up at the combine and how he'll bury brady when we play him twice a year. <-- That's the type of wishful thinking that lets me go to sleep at night

Comment

• Here's my question: if somehow we do manage to pull off this trade where do we go with the two first rounders assuming we don't deal down? You have to figure one of them is going to be a defensive guy, but are we going to take two defensive guys or are we going to go offense-defense? And if we do grab an offensive guy, are we looking at a right tackle like Jake Long? Doesn't make sense to grab a top 10 pick for any position on offense really, unless we decide we need a QB but in that case why trade Pennington? And if we go defense-defense, are we talking front 7 secondary? Presumably we're taking a linebacker with one of the picks, both maybe? That's assuming Chris Long isn't a DL. Is Thomas locked into a starting spot or could we go Long, Gholston and grab two pass rushing OLB's? Could one of those guys flip inside? Maybe a Gholston Laurinaitis giving us a LB corps of Gholston-Harris-Laurinaitis-Thomas? Maybe LB/secondary where we'd grab Gholston/Long and then Jenkins/Phillips?

I mean obviously the top 10 pick is nice but there must be something we're looking to do if we want it because there's no guarantee of a trade down, so what would we be looking to do if we're trying to grab another high pick?

Comment

• Personally, I'll start to speculate if it actually happens.

Sorry for being a Debbie Downer. I'm sure others are going to post their thoughts though. Would be interesting to hear....

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexDown View Post
                              Personally, I'll start to speculate if it actually happens.

Sorry for being a Debbie Downer. I'm sure others are going to post their thoughts though. Would be interesting to hear....
                              My question wasn't really what would we do if it happened, but why would we want the top 10 pick anyway? If there was any contact I'd imagine it was us to them, because I have a hard time imagining they came to us with that trade. Who knows, but I doubt it. So if we proposed that deal to them, or somebody with the Jets in mind floated it, my question is why? What would we actually do with those picks anyway?

In all honesty trading your #1 receiver and the most reliable threat on your team offensively along with your best veteran QB doesn't make much sense when you're trying to groom a young guy anyways, unless we're going QB top 10 (in which case, why not keep Penny to groom him?) or we have a deal in place for a very good wideout (Roy Williams, Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh), you're looking to add offensive weapons and linemen (Jake Long?), or you're committed to long-term rebuilding while risking the development of your supposed franchise QB, I'm not thinking this makes all that much sense for us either. The top 10 pick is nice, but I think this could seriously hurt Clemens' development unless we're sure we can bring some reliable wideouts and a good veteran presence into place this offseason.

Comment

HOLY SH*T!! HUGE NEWS

Max notes that this is the same story that broke the information on Andre Wadsworth Ö so take that for what itís worth Ö
                                I don't buy this. This sounds like all of the rumors I read in my youth in Newsday of players coming to the Knicks who alwyas signed with other teams. Except for Derek Harper. That one was true.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information