Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i would happily take that trade. Penny is as good as done as the starter, and Coles has talked about retirement many times. Why not get value while you can? I would hate to lose Coles, as he is our best playmaker/WR, but if he goes through with the retirement talks in even 2 years, we are in trouble anyways. If i could say with certainty that Coles will not retire soon, then i'd think twice.

as for the 2 top 10 picks, we could surely trade one down if cap was an issue

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
    You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
      i would happily take that trade. Penny is as good as done as the starter, and Coles has talked about retirement many times. Why not get value while you can? I would hate to lose Coles, as he is our best playmaker/WR, but if he goes through with the retirement talks in even 2 years, we are in trouble anyways. If i could say with certainty that Coles will not retire soon, then i'd think twice.

as for the 2 top 10 picks, we could surely trade one down if cap was an issue
      The cap wouldn't be an issue, which is nice. We are currently roughly under the cap 20 mill and with the potential trade of Chad and Coles we would be an additional 7 mill under, that is including the cap hit we would take for trading them. The following year, we would save more around the range of 13 mill, so we definately would have the cap space.

A topic that was brought up earlier this week was the idea of trading vilma for shaun rogers. But, from was what i was reading it seems possible that he may be released. Now, i wouldnt rule out a possible trade, maybe vilma for shaun rogers and one of their draft picks so as we dont have to outbid anyone else who may want to take a risk with rogers. He is fat and lazy at times, but other times he is simply dominant. It all depends on if mangini thinks he can get him in shape and play and if Shaun actually wants to get in shape and play.

I feel that even though he may be a bit taller than ideal, when he plays he is very stout against the run, is massive so is sheer size alone will squeeze the gaps and can more than definately take a double team. The same thing could be said for Fat al, but I feel that we have a better shot at landing Rogers, and moreso on the cheap side. I think most people are in agreement that with the addition of a solid, maybe not spectacular, but solid NT and say Vernon Gholston as an OLB our defense would change fairly drastically.

Here was the source; "Mike O'Hara of the Detroit News says the Lions may part ways with two-time Pro Bowl DT Shaun Rogers and DE Kalimba Edwards after this season.

The out-of-shape Rogers had only one unassisted tackle in Week 14 and has zero sacks in his last five games, while Edwards was a healthy a scratch against the Cowboys. Both have time on their contracts, but might need a strong close to avoid being salary cap casualties. The Lions face LT and the Chargers in Week 15."

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Wow Rodgers getting cut would be huge news. As you said if we think we can get him to play...that's a great sign right there. And he's unhappy in Detroit right? So who knows, maybe he'd give a better effort here. I would love to see our defense with a nice pass rusher on the outside and a big dude in the middle...Rodgers is unbelievably talented and as you said could come relatively cheap, if he's a FA I think he tops my wish list.

Comment

• Statlines

Comparing Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens this season:
          -PENNINGTON---------CATEGORY--------------CLEMENS-
          ----1-6---------------Won-loss-*----------------2-5
          -----9-----------------TD passes------------------4
          -----7----------------Interceptions----------------10
          ----153----------------Completions----------------117
          ----228----------------Attempts-------------------225
          ----67.1------------Percent completed-------------52.0
          ---1,503-----------------Yards--------------------1,414
          -----20------------------Sacked--------------------24
          ----85.8-----------------Rating---------------------59.0

*Jets record in games this QB has started (win/loss can not and should not be an individual statistic in football, it should be noted but a STAT NOOOOO)

whoever said it couldnt get much worse...It got MUCH worse..Clemens needs to ride the bench the rest of the season (we saw plenty of what he can do with a sh!tty OLine, lets develop the team and hope his numbers improve in normal game situations when the talent level around him gets better) [then again you could also say what if you did that for Pennington, but we have a youth movement going and I think we are going to deal Chad and not release him bc Mangini has constatnly talked about Chad's "value" in press conferences....why would he release him instead of getting something for him, and these last few games will be auditions] we should put an OL in front of him and trade pennington for a pick that will help his development and let him fight for his job as QB in camp.

Also I do not want to sign an expensive vet back up like SEXY REXY...Id prefer keeping tuiasosopo and giving B Smith more reps as the emergency QB passing the ball so we can save roster spots and still have him as our option if catastrophe strikes, but with a better OL im sure we wont sustain 45+sacks next season which undoubtedly has adversly affected both QBs and prob Clemens more bc he is still getting used to the speed of the pro game
          Last edited by hcbrad08; 12-19-2007, 02:13 PM.
          QB, OG, OLB, WR, CB, MLB, RB, FS

Exactly Why The Jets were the Coolest Team in the NFL under Rex, but Bowles is the man-see Arians speech:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Comment

• Notes&quotes from the paper: Laveranues Coles (ankle) said he wants to play Sunday despite being able to play only one down against the Patriots. "Any time that you have an opportunity to go out and play," he said, "you want to because you never know when it will come to an end." He'll especially want to be on the field for what could be one of his final chances to play with close friend Pennington ... Former Jet Kevin Mawae, one of the first players cut by the Mangini-Tannenbaum regime in 2006, said he's heard secondhand that some Jets veterans are unhappy playing for Mangini ... S Kerry Rhodes said he thought he had a chance to make the Pro Bowl this year. "Not as much as last year," Rhodes said, "but it was definitely there." Rhodes had a slow start this season but so far has more interceptions (5) than last year when many believed he was snubbed from the all-star game ... Though it won't be officially announced until as late as Monday, next Sunday's game against the Chiefs will be played at 4 p.m. instead of the scheduled 8:15 p.m. ... The Jets signed offensive linemen Clint Oldenberg and Robert Turner from the practice squad to the active roster.
            QB, OG, OLB, WR, CB, MLB, RB, FS

Exactly Why The Jets were the Coolest Team in the NFL under Rex, but Bowles is the man-see Arians speech:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Comment

• Originally posted by hcbrad08 View Post
              Notes&quotes from the paper: Laveranues Coles (ankle) said he wants to play Sunday despite being able to play only one down against the Patriots. "Any time that you have an opportunity to go out and play," he said, "you want to because you never know when it will come to an end." He'll especially want to be on the field for what could be one of his final chances to play with close friend Pennington ... Former Jet Kevin Mawae, one of the first players cut by the Mangini-Tannenbaum regime in 2006, said he's heard secondhand that some Jets veterans are unhappy playing for Mangini ... S Kerry Rhodes said he thought he had a chance to make the Pro Bowl this year. "Not as much as last year," Rhodes said, "but it was definitely there." Rhodes had a slow start this season but so far has more interceptions (5) than last year when many believed he was snubbed from the all-star game ... Though it won't be officially announced until as late as Monday, next Sunday's game against the Chiefs will be played at 4 p.m. instead of the scheduled 8:15 p.m. ... The Jets signed offensive linemen Clint Oldenberg and Robert Turner from the practice squad to the active roster.

I wouldn't doubt that some of the vets are unhappy playing for mangini, most of them at their age don't want to go through the rigorous offseason workouts as well as the tough conditions he places them in. But, the one thing that I have heard about mangini, from players the one in mind is curtis martin, is that he is more prepared for every game then any other coach that they have played for. I would rather a coach be so involved in preparation and giving the team a chance to win than being a pushover like herm. Basically it probably would be Ellis, Drob and possibly some of the lineman that Mawae still talks to. I can guarantee that the younger players are not bugged by it nor do i suspect chad to be a player to complain about hard work. Personally, i think the players who are arguing will be gone this year; most likely these will be the holdovers from the herm regime, considering everyone loved playing for him because he just let them dick around half the time.

I am trying to guess if Chad plays very well this weekend whether he will be sat for the final week so as not to ruin his trade value or if they'll let him play again. I am eager to see the game no matter what.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Looks like we've just put LC on IR. Big blow for a team trying to build some momentum heading into next season.

Also the Parcells to Miami move could help or hurt us in a few ways. I don't think he's going to look McFadden. If they decide to clean out the coaches Ryan could get a look which I think would be a mistake but I wouldn't complain at all. Dorsey I don't think is a fit. Long is the pick if they think he can fit IMO, but if they pass on him I don't know how comfortable I am with taking him since we both run the 3-4. The thing I'm worried about is that Gholston becomes the pick there. IMO best case scenario the Parcells-Cowboys and Jerry Jones-Arkansas connections come together. Parcells likes to move down if he doesn't have his guy (traded down with Orlando Pace on the board when trying to rebuild our team) and Jones loves to make a big splash. Parcells still has some of his guys in Dallas that aren't getting play time (Bobby Carpenter comes to mind) and the Boys have two first rounders to play with. Plus the depth of this draft combined with low value at the top could make trading down pretty far a legit option. I'd love to see a deal between the Boys and Phins involving the two firsts, Carpenter, and perhaps some future picks in a move to get DMC. If we stay top 3 it guarantees us Long or Gholston (perhaps a choice), and otherwise we have some interesting decisions to make but there's still some good guys on the board. Plus it's tough to pass on McFadden but could be in the best interest of the team. We'll see what happens but it's an interesting possibility that I know has been brought up a few times, but Parcells being at Miami just increases the chances of it happening IMO.

Comment

• I agree that the parcells moving to Miami could help or hurt us. He has always been helpful towards tannenbaum and mangini, but i'm not sure if he still will or maybe even moreso, who knows. I still think if dallas were to trade up they would look to do it with us rather than miami who has the #1. The jump from our spot to theirs is considerable and would probably make more sense, but you never know what with Parcells' connection with jerry jones. We'll see, as long as we get gholston haha (or c.long if he tests outta the roof). Having though about it more i am extremely interested to see if mangini brings in Stacy Andrews and Randal Gaay as soon as the season is over. Those were the two RFA he brought in last year; if he does bring them in I will be extremely impressed. It shows he did all of his grunt work last year, seeing their personality, whether they wanted to join the jets and the direction they were going in etc.; so this year all he had to do was watch their performance, so that he could invite them in the first time he could and offer him a contract and beat out the bidding wars.

Comment

• I would definitely be very impressed if we got Andrews and ***, though either would be great. The more I've been thinking about it, I think Andrews should be the free agent we really go after. He's massive and would definitely help the run game a ton but his big upside is that he has the ability to play inside at guard or outside at right tackle. That would be huge for us because it gives us the flexibility in the draft to go guard or tackle depending on who is the best player on the board, instead of signing a guy that could play only one position and being locked into going with a guard or tackle. The flexibility he would offer is invaluable and I'd love to see us go after him. Then on draft day you're talking about needing OLB, DE, WR and G or RT as the big needs. Offers a little more flexibility as far as going with a BPA type strategy and it could really work to our advantage (especially if we keep LC around, because we could really wait for a wideout).

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                      I would definitely be very impressed if we got Andrews and ***, though either would be great. The more I've been thinking about it, I think Andrews should be the free agent we really go after. He's massive and would definitely help the run game a ton but his big upside is that he has the ability to play inside at guard or outside at right tackle. That would be huge for us because it gives us the flexibility in the draft to go guard or tackle depending on who is the best player on the board, instead of signing a guy that could play only one position and being locked into going with a guard or tackle. The flexibility he would offer is invaluable and I'd love to see us go after him. Then on draft day you're talking about needing OLB, DE, WR and G or RT as the big needs. Offers a little more flexibility as far as going with a BPA type strategy and it could really work to our advantage (especially if we keep LC around, because we could really wait for a wideout).

That's the same thing that i was thinking, he gives us flexibility in the draft. The other positive that I loved about him was that he doesn't have that much wear and tear on him; he played only his senior year in college and didn't play much in his first year or so in the NFL, because he was basically playing behind allpro Willie Anderson. I didn't really pay much attention to them bringing him in last year, but i remember reading that they were probably doing early scouting for the following year. I hope that is the case and we go hard after him, he seems like a perfect fit.

Another guy that i have been reading about was Carl Nicks; very good passpro skills as well as the good size to be a good run blocker. He has played LT in college but seems RT is a better fit, but from what I am reading it seems as though he has the ability to play OG as well. I'll be watching him at the senior bowl, as well as a few other players.

Comment

• Nicks looks like an intriguing fit as well, toonster had him going to us in his most recent mock. Same with those guards that you and boredofeducation mentioned in that thread. Regardless some flexibility in the draft would be fantastic there's some really good guys we could get that would help us out in the 3rd and 4th round range.

Comment

• Anthony Clement just got pancaked by a 274 pound defensive end. If we don't address RT this offseason I will cry.

Comment

• One of the reasons I want the Jets to sign Alan Faneca: Because you know that pick they could use to draft a left guard? They could use that pick on a right tackle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                              One of the reasons I want the Jets to sign Alan Faneca: Because you know that pick they could use to draft a left guard? They could use that pick on a right tackle.
                              I'd rather take a swing guy so we can take the best guy that fills either one of those positions, but at least we're on the same wavelength generally.

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                                Anthony Clement just got pancaked by a 274 pound defensive end. If we don't address RT this offseason I will cry.
                                The OL in general today has been really bad. Pennington has had zero time to throw the ball and Jones is getting stuffed at the line.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information