This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
    Also, there's a little Vilma/Rodgers deal discussion in the Lions forum, hasn't really gotten going yet but its worth checking out.
    No, it doesn't seem worth checking out at all.

Originally posted by Lions WMD
    Maybe before Vilma's injury we would've done that.. but not now.
    Originally posted by TacticaLion
    Exactly. Before? Hell yeah. Now? Not worth a day 1 pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
      No, it doesn't seem worth checking out at all.
      Interesting. Maybe the Lions fans don't want it to happen, but it's known that Rodgers wants out so they have little to no leverage for it. I'm beginning to wonder if we're going to deal Vilma though, because his value is just so low it seems like he's only going to get a 2nd or 3rd rounder back.

Comment

Interesting. Maybe the Lions fans don't want it to happen, but it's known that Rodgers wants out so they have little to no leverage for it. I'm beginning to wonder if we're going to deal Vilma though, because his value is just so low it seems like he's only going to get a 2nd or 3rd rounder back.
        I wouldn't be so sure about his value. His value is only valued/undervalued by guys (even kids) who have no affiliation with either the lions or jets. Now, i'm not saying we have any affiliation other than being fans just like them, but there is a reason why those people in the FO make the decisions. And that is because they know things we do not. The only thing we know about vilma's knee is that it wasn't a microfracture surgery, which is a great thing, so other than that we have no idea what it is. For all we know he could come back stronger and than his value should be a first. But as far as the talk of lions fans saying they wouldn't give a 3rd or even 4th for vilma is just ridiculous, because they are basing it on the idea that he will be innafective for the next couple of years. I have a feeling that if we move vilma it will be becuase he is healthy and we can get good value for him.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
          I wouldn't be so sure about his value. His value is only valued/undervalued by guys (even kids) who have no affiliation with either the lions or jets. Now, i'm not saying we have any affiliation other than being fans just like them, but there is a reason why those people in the FO make the decisions. And that is because they know things we do not. The only thing we know about vilma's knee is that it wasn't a microfracture surgery, which is a great thing, so other than that we have no idea what it is. For all we know he could come back stronger and than his value should be a first. But as far as the talk of lions fans saying they wouldn't give a 3rd or even 4th for vilma is just ridiculous, because they are basing it on the idea that he will be innafective for the next couple of years. I have a feeling that if we move vilma it will be becuase he is healthy and we can get good value for him.
          I guess, we can only really speculate at this point. However, I wouldn't trade him for anything less than an early second, and that's probably even stretching it a bit. At this point if we're getting less than that we're probably better off seeing what he can do next to Harris and possibly with an actual defensive line.

Comment

I guess, we can only really speculate at this point. However, I wouldn't trade him for anything less than an early second, and that's probably even stretching it a bit. At this point if we're getting less than that we're probably better off seeing what he can do next to Harris and possibly with an actual defensive line.
            True. In recent news, it has already been reported that bob sanders has gotten a new contract, a very large contract. One, it sets a bit of precident for kerry rhodes new extension, but more importantly to me is the state of their contract discussions with Scott lilja and jake scott and dallas clark. I think that the colts will franchise or lock up clark and than their most important FA will probably bee scott. However, i think they will let scott and lilja hit the market, because i beleive they have some pretty competent backups that they most likely can insert into their system. Jake scott is a fantastic right guard, however i'm sure that he can play LG; i would like to bring him in for some talks as well as Stacy Andrews.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Definitely, one of the Colts guards would be a big sign. And I really hope we extend Rhodes this offseason, we can't afford to let the guy go he's a leader and possibly our best defensive player as well.

Comment

• A little update on the d-coordinator front;

- Rob Ryan, Jetting To New York?
                Thursday, December 27th, 2007 by Gary Grund

When Eric Mangini was announced as head coach of the New York Jets in January of 2006, speculation arose as to whether or not Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan would join Mangini’s coaching staff and run the defense. Despite all the rumors, the job went to one of the in-house candidate’s, former linebacker’s coach, Bob Sutton.

In his tenure here with the Jets, Sutton hasn’t exactly made an impact with his defense that ranked 20th in total defense in 2006 and 22nd so far in 2007.

In 2006, Rob Ryan’s Raiders’ defense was 3rd best in the NFL in total defense. This year? The Raiders defense is full of underachieving players and is ranked 26th in total defense in the league. Oakland didn’t exactly address all the needs the defense needed in the offseason either. With that said, Raiders head coach Lane Kiffin was noncommittal as to whether or not Ryan would return next season as the defensive coordinator. There is speculation that has led us to believe that he might be let go.

If Ryan becomes available this offseason, you would have to believe the Jets could make a serious run to bring him in as their defensive coordinator. He does have a history with coach Mangini while with the Patriots. The two worked together in Ryan’s four-year tenure in New England with Mangini working with the defensive backs while Ryan coached the linebackers. Ryan left the Patriots prior to the 2004 season to join the Raiders.

Update - 1:01 p.m. - Rob Ryan is scheduled to meet with Raiders owner Al Davis to evaluate the situation and he could be released as early as Wednesday. Rob Ryan commented on any job concerns. “I’d be out of a job for two minutes. I mean, who are we kidding? I’m not worried about it. Love the Raiders. If that happens, so be it. I’d be out of a job for two minutes.”

I still am a very big supporter of bringing him in if it is possible. He certainly knows his 34 defense and will be a big draw for high caliber free agents who will want to play for him. I've heard that his players LOVE to play for him and that is something i think our coaching staff needs.

Comment

• great find saw somthing similar and I was going to post it. I really want him...he's a coordinator he doesnt count against any cap get into a bidding war overpay him, go for it, it will be worth it.

If the Jets are committed to getting "there" they will need him
                  QB, OG, OLB, WR, CB, MLB, RB, FS

Exactly Why The Jets were the Coolest Team in the NFL under Rex, but Bowles is the man-see Arians speech:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Comment

• I can't remember where i read i read it, but i honestly like Rob Ryan over his brother in baltimore. It seems as though Rob has "made a great meal with cheaper/less ingrediants compared to his brother's meal that was prepared with the most expensive and best ingredients." the idea is that not only does he know his 34 but he can utilize all players, which our defense has some stars in the making and other solid players. I think good ole woody needs to open up his purse (he'll get a wallet when he proves to me he isn't a cheap little girl) and spend some money on bringing ryan here if he becomes available. I also definately need to see rhodes get a contract extension this offseason, because even though sanders just signed a huge contract, rhodes will only get more expensive at the end of next years free agent year and after adrian wilson the the rest get their contracts. I have heard rumors (rotoworld & tannenbaum's interview on jet 24/7???) that tannenbaum is going to uncharacteristically spend money this offseason. One can only hope and i honestly don't like getting my hopes up, so we will see. I am really just keeping my hopes up for Stacy Andrews who could play guard or tackle and is a monster as well as jake scott and possible max starks and lilja. I think signing a guard and tackle could open up the entire draf for us, allowing us increased flexibility.

I also cannot wait to see Groves and the other DE/OLB tweeners come combine time. I know everyone is extremely high on gholston, i am definately one of them. But, groves and blake were seen as surefire first rounders at the beginning of the year and it seemed it was more injury/"illness" that sidelined them and not just poor play. I think if we miss out on gholston we still have a chance for a top end pass rusher. And i still feel blake is going to end up being the steal of this draft.

Comment

• your comment made me think...if ryan comes to the Jets he might also bring some of his huge 34 DEs with him...its a thought and theyre good and at a chepaer price this just keeps making more and more sense. Bring him in soon and get things going for the draft so him Mangini Tannenbaum and whoever our OC is can get cooking on a masterful plan to beat the Patriots and get to the playoffs.
                      PLEASE ROB RYAN I AM BEGGING COME TO NY.

If we lose tomorrow: Trade down and stock pile
                      If we win tomorrow: Vernon Gholston (if not then trade down)

If we miss out on gholston Im completely with you BLAKE #1 Pass rushing priority. If we could get a Malcolm Kelly I would love it.

Oh and if we could somehow get 2 high #1 picks for next year I'd like Kevin Smith RB UCF and George Selvie OLB SFU...you guys know they will be ridiculous on Sundays....Smith fits our mold too hes staying in schoolto finish his degree for his mom.... Selvie, "academic achievements: ----. activites: enjoys lifting" fast strong awesome. Both break records and will get mad money!
                      Last edited by hcbrad08; 12-30-2007, 02:08 AM.

Exactly Why The Jets were the Coolest Team in the NFL under Rex, but Bowles is the man-see Arians speech:

Comment

• http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...schuening.html
                        I like the comparison to Logan Mankins...says he's smart...all of our picks have had that tag so i like his chances.... don't be surprised if we take him late in 2nd rd or early 3rd. (I know we have an early second I think its too high but I d like him anywhere mid 2nd to early 3rd. I dont know the demand for guards or our FA stance on lilja or faneca)

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...enschmitt.html
                        another guy to look at for the later rounds...I like his style he's a bada$$, who likes to hit people.

Comment

• I just was asking around the bucs and raiders board and it seems as though they beleive that the hole Monte kiffin to play under his son and forcing rob ryan to leave is a big rumor. I for one hope that isn't the case, but as of now it could be another one of those things us jets fans just wish happened. I like schuening alot and really am excited about our draft, because as of now there doesn't seem to be any sure fire pick to the jets. Last year everyone thought revis, hall etc. but this year there is constant speculation that i know will play itself out in the next months, but it is still quite intriuging.

Thomas jones plays extremely well with a fullback and i'm tired of running trick plays on 3rd and short. I've seen schmitt play numerous times and although he isn't the greatest athlete or runner, he can pick up short yardage as well be a bruising blocker for TJ. I definately love his style and would not mind seeing him on this team. After seeing McLain have success lead blocking for Mcgahee in baltimore i would not mind at all seeing schmitt.

Comment

• I think today's game showed a lot, coming out of it with the 6th overall pick in the draft. Draft wise, it kinda hurt us, but I think we learned a lot about our team, and it's always nice to come away and end the season with a victory. I'll be the first to summarize my feelings on the Jets as the season concludes.

First, I think it's very important to keep our heads up as Jets fans. Everyone should know, that this is not a bad football team, the Jets could be one of the best teams with a losing record. It's unfortunate I had to tack on that "with a losing record" but what are you going to do. We've got a solid team with some great up and coming players who look to be superstars. That being said, we do have some blatant holes that must be filled.

The coaching staff presented us with some big problems this year. Last year, Mangini was a god among men, this year...not so much. I think he's gut the necessary guts and "balls" that a coach needs (unlike Herm) and I do believe he is still a terrific coach, with a great idea for where this team needs to be headed in order to succeed, and anybody calling for his head after this year would be stupid and oblivious to the future. Offensively, Brian Schottenheimer was hailed as an offensive guru. He was supposed to make our TE a tops in the league like he supposedly did with Gates, and Clemens was supposed to grow under him, like Brees supposedly did. Well, none of that really happened. His play calling, in my mind, was and has been atrocious. His trick plays were not tricky, because we used them right in a row (along with many other players right in a row, leading to Thomas Jones getting stuffed at the line numerous times) and our offense left something to be desired (like points) nearly every time they stepped on the field. Overall, I think Schotty MUST be fired for this team to succeed offensively, I truly believe he hinders our offense. On the defensive side, Sutton's not been so bad. I think he's gotta go to, because he doesn't strike me as a defensive genius that all the top teams have, but after a solid performance this year by our defense, I think he stays. I also think Mangini makes him look better than he really is, but w/e.

On offense, I think we have some good things, but mainly bad things. Our offensive line is nauseating. Mangold is the a stud, we know this, but besides him, there's not much else. D'Brick looked amazing the first 6 games (don't know much about the OL, but I know he handily blocked some of the games top pass rushers) and for a while, was looking worth the pick. He ended of slowly though. Still a solid player with plenty of room to get better, I think he can help anchor our line. He needs help though. It's tough to play well, when you've gotta worry about your man, and the LG's man. Montgomery looked solid today, but he's not the answer, simply a formidable backup. A veteran is necessary to aid D'Bricks growth, whether it be Faneca or someone else via FA/trade. RT is a big gap too. I think that can be addressed in the draft. I can totally see us trading up in the draft to acquire a second first rounder and take a guy like Clady or Otah, I'd love to get Otah on our squad, but if we can sign Stacy Andrews, he can play RG and RT for us. Basically, I think changes on the OL MUST be made. I'd love to get a big guy like Andrews on our team, and address another position on the line through the draft. That would be ideal.

I think the way our run game played today, showed why McFadden CANNOT be our choice. Two years ago I wanted Deangelo Williams, not D'Brick, and towards the beginning of this year I wanted DMac, and despite my stubbornness, you guys were right and I was wrong. There are so many reasons against taking McFadden. Our RB's played phenomenally tonight and despite an unflattering 3.8 YPC, they got us 1,700 yards total this year, and that's damn impressive given the lack of a passing attack and the lack of a line. In addidition, RB's are a dime in a dozen. Every big analysis says it, RB is the easiest position to find in the later rounds. Plus, there seems to be a "can't miss" prospect EVERY YEAR.

Our passing game was pretty poor overall. Pennington's my boy, I'd love to bring him in as a QB coach eventually, but we all know he's done as a Jet. He wants to start, we don't want him to start. I'd love to work something out with him, and I wouldn't rule it out of the question, but there are too many teams in need of a starting QB, we might as well get what value we can out of him. Clemens...to me, looks no good. I say we start him next year, only because we have no other choice. He looks like a great leader who can storm down the field, but he makes bad decisions too often, and that looks, to me at least, incurable. Next year is his judgment year. Either he grows and impresses, or we draft a QB first round. Just to elaborate a bit, I still feel he can be a good QB, but I've lost a little faith, keeping in mind he had a poor OL and never had Coles and Cotchery at the same time. He's got a cannon for a arm and is pretty accurate, but his decision making is very sloppy, and that's the one thing I think a QB needs most, but at the same time, I feel is the hardest to teach. As far as our WR's go, I love Cotchery. He's a fantastic WR, but he can't be a #1...yet, and I don't think we can depend on Coles to be that #1 anymore. I mean the guy leaves his body on the field, but that's clearly affected him. With retirement and trade rumors swirling around him, I think we thank him for our services and ship him out this off-season. I'd like to see us spend a 2nd rounder on Bowman or a late rounder on Marcus Smith or Marcus Monks. Brad Smith showed he's not a great WR with poor hands and I think he's more of a situational player, we need to utilize him correctly though, and that's something we did not do at all this year. One guy who I really like though, is Wallace Wright. I'd love to see him get more touches as our #3 next year. J Mac...gotta go bud, sorry. As for TE, I think Baker really emerged this year. A big physical TE, I think he can be a big red zone target, I think he can get something like 600-700 yards next year with 6-7 TD's. I really like Baker and think we're solid at TE.

Kicking wise, I think we're good. Nugent started off very poorly , but really only missed 1 or 2 after that. Inside the 40 yard line he is absolutely money, but outside that he has trouble, and I think he really should work on that this off season.
                            I'll make a new post with my defensive thoughts...
                            Last edited by nvot9; 12-30-2007, 09:16 PM.
                            Glenn Dorsey will slip...

Jets will not take McFadden...

Comment

• Now to the defense. I expected worse from our defense to be honest, and was pleasantly surprised.

Our pass protection stood up very strong this year, despite looking rough on paper. At safety I think we are very solid. Rhodes is a top 3 S in the NFL, and a Eric Smith/Abram Elam duo should match him pretty formidably. I'm sick of seeing some mocks with us getting Kenny Phillips. I would be very frustrated if that were to happen. It would possibly improve our duo, but there's not reason to when there are so many other needs. I truly believe that safety is the last position on our team we should worry about. Erik Coleman performed well rookie year, but slowed up as of late, I think he can be let go. As for as our CB's, well I have mixed feelings. Revis is a stud, with Law's guidance, and his own ability, this kids gunna be a perennial pro-bowler for some time. I dnno about 10 ints, but I can see him having a similar season to Cromartie next year...by that, I mean a very good one...I also like Poteat. I don't think he's a true number 2, but he's a very solid player, and very well could be our #2. I think we're gunna need to pick up an extra CB somehow this off-season, I really like Randall ***. I think between him, Poteat, and Dyson, we'd have a terrific combo of CB's...of course Revis too. You'll notice I left David Barrett out. It's because he sucks. Every time the Jets get burnt, or the team picks up a first down, it's his man. I want him gone this off-season....

Our LB situation is tricky too. We've got Harris, who's a stud, but not much else. Thomas took the year off I guess, apparently he no longer had anything to prove after he got his contract. His overall lackluster player this season, opens a huge gap on the Jets defense. The pass rush was very poor and I feel bringing in Gholston with our first round pick would be a tremendous move. However, with Oakland now in front of us, I worry at the likelihood of that. Not much of a fan of Suggs, but I love, LOVE Dansby. I sense the cards will tag his though, if they can't sign him long-term. As far as our other underachievers, we need to loose either Barton, or Hobson. I like Hobson as an ROLB a lot, and would like to keep him over Barton. ILB is now our only hole. With rumors swirling about Vilma's return, we have a huge ? there. Whether he comes back or not, is not the issue. Truly underachieving in the 3-4, Vilma could be traded, but after his injury, I'm worried that value and compensation for him won't be there, which makes me wonder if he will have more success next year with us, seeing that Harris has emerged and can support Vilma. Not really sure what we do or what we should do here...

Our D-Line was our biggest trouble though. The third worst team in the NFL against the run, Dewayne has truly proven that NT is our BIGGEST need. With not many, if any, solid options in the draft, a trade for Shaun Rogers (or someone else) might be our only option. Coleman, Bowens, and Mosely are real good backups, but it doesn't do much when the starters aren't good. Ellis starting playing better as the season went along, and looks like a player we can use. I like him dropping back and rushing as an LB on certain plays, and I like him standing up on the line against the run as well. I think RDE is a big need, to stop the run. Chris Long is an ideal player for the number 1 pick, but at this point, I don't see him falling to 6th overall. Basically, we need someone to take on two blockers, and someone to stop the run. Our D-Line, similarly to our OL, needs to be revamped this offseason.

EDIT: I just re-read everything, and realized I made a TON of typos. Kinda got tired of writing after a while, so that played a factor, but it's prolly a little confusing considering the amount of typos. If anyone wants clarification or wants me to elaborate on something, let me know.
                              Last edited by nvot9; 12-31-2007, 02:00 PM.
                              Glenn Dorsey will slip...

Jets will not take McFadden...

Comment

• Nice write up. It was awesome to see the Jets pull out that win yesterday, although they still liked to make it close as always....

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information