Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was just thinking about our defense and I had an idea that intrigued me even though i recognize it may not be the best course to take. What if we draft gholston and sign Suggs. Granted, Suggs has seen his production decline as the talent around him has declined and perhaps his effort would decline once he is rewarded with a long term deal. Both points are valid, but perhaps with Gholston and Suggs coming off the edge, we could create a tandem similar to Phillips and Merriman in San Diego. After all, Suggs production might increase if teamed up with another dynamic pass rusher. Additionally with possible scenarios for safety blitzes from Kerry Rhodes, our defense could instantly go from merely solid to becoming a terror in the backfield. Obviously though, we still need a nose tackle, but pouha has been solid at times and perhaps we can team him up with someone in the the mid to late rounds. finally, all of this is predicated on Suggs' contract demmands and availability, but I just found it interesting to think of our defense centered around a young, athletic, versatile core of lb.

Comment

• I think the tandem of gholston and thomas has potential as well. The main reason for thomas' lack of production was that his roles had switched; i don't know why they did that. He was forced to play more in coverage this year than the last couple. In a few games you did see his ability to speed rush off the edge and i think with more focus on gholston and harris he could have his 2006 season again.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/turn2/ci_7856024

according to that article Rob Ryan is headed your way and he has done a great job getting production out of young LBs so I guess the last 2 scenarios posted would make a lot of sense if he's already been accepted to the staff.

Comment

• I sure hope that it's true, but if it is that means it's really good news. And being extremely pessimistic by nature when it comes to the jets, I will just assume that it won't happen until it does haha. Anyways, i've heard Ryan is supposed to meet with Al Davis this wed so i guess we'll see what's up. Thanks for article bud.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
            I sure hope that it's true, but if it is that means it's really good news. And being extremely pessimistic by nature when it comes to the jets, I will just assume that it won't happen until it does haha. Anyways, i've heard Ryan is supposed to meet with Al Davis this wed so i guess we'll see what's up. Thanks for article bud.
            no problem, Ryan is great coach and his player love him. He does have 3-4 experience obviously and tried to run it here in Oakland year 1 but we didn't have the right players, so he adjusted and ran with Davis' man coverage in the 4-3. I'm not sure if he's going to be the D coordinator though, I've heard he's just going to be a defensive assitant as well as D coordinator, either way he'll be a great addition.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
              I think the tandem of gholston and thomas has potential as well. The main reason for thomas' lack of production was that his roles had switched; i don't know why they did that. He was forced to play more in coverage this year than the last couple. In a few games you did see his ability to speed rush off the edge and i think with more focus on gholston and harris he could have his 2006 season again.
              I agree that pairing Thomas with Gholston is probably the smarter decision because of the risk involved with signing Suggs, but Thomas makes me even more nervous than Suggs. While there is a chance that Suggs will shut down after getting a long term deal, It seems that Thomas already has. Until his contract year he really hadn't done anything to prove himself, granted, he was in the 4-3, but I just have lost faith in Thomas for now.

Comment

• NT Dewayne Robertson removed the nameplate above his locker. Hmm. His cap number balloons to $12 million in '08; the Jets almost certainly will try to rework his contract. Interestingly, Mangini raved about backup NT Sione Pouha, calling him one of the bright spots of the season. ...AS THEY SAY THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL Mangini also praised DE C.J. Mosley, DE Shaun Ellis, (I think with those comments drafting a DE is becoming less of a possibility) RB/KR Leon Washington, Baker, C Nick Mangold and rookie LB David Harris. "I didn't realize he could rush the passer that effectively," Mangini said of Harris, who shared the team lead with five sacks. ... Mangini declined to shed any light on the Jonathan Vilma situation, except to say Vilma and Harris could both play inside linebacker at the same time in the 3-4 scheme.
                Last edited by hcbrad08; 01-01-2008, 04:50 PM.
                QB, OG, OLB, WR, CB, MLB, RB, FS

Exactly Why The Jets were the Coolest Team in the NFL under Rex, but Bowles is the man-see Arians speech:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Comment

• Originally posted by hcbrad08 View Post
                  NT Dewayne Robertson removed the nameplate above his locker. Hmm. His cap number balloons to $12 million in '08; the Jets almost certainly will try to rework his contract. Interestingly, Mangini raved about backup NT Sione Pouha, calling him one of the bright spots of the season. ...AS THEY SAY THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL
                  Yeah, unfortunately, the writing seems less like trade and more like release. :(

Comment

• That info on Dewayne is very perplexing...I wonder what that means? I can't imagine they'd cut him...

Also, I agree, Long seems less likely to me, after this info. Although if he's still available at 6, I can't imagine we pass on him (unless Gholston is ALSO available.)
                    Glenn Dorsey will slip...

Jets will not take McFadden...

Comment

• Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
                      Also, I agree, Long seems less likely to me, after this info.
                      In the words of Bill Parcells "But that's a good thing. Not a bad thing." Unless Chris Long shows he is going for 3-4 linebacker and not d-end.

What worries me is this makes it seem less likely that a deal for Shaun Rogers is a possibility.

Comment

• I dont see Long lasting to 6 bc Oak at 5 needs help up front and their DE is a FA. KC could also grab him at 4 if Jared allen leaves. I hope no one grabs up Gholston I could see Oak taking him for some reason I dont know why but it scares me I WANT HIM and if hes not there I want a trade NO MCFADDEN! Arkansas 7 points.

What all of those quotes and stuff say to me is that within a week or so there will be shakeups within the org. players & coaches
                        QB, OG, OLB, WR, CB, MLB, RB, FS

Exactly Why The Jets were the Coolest Team in the NFL under Rex, but Bowles is the man-see Arians speech:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Comment

• I know Drobs contract is monsterous, but i really can't see letting him go. I am sure something will get worked out, i just hope that it doesn't get ugly.

The same thing goes for Baker. I just read that he wants to rework his contract and that he said he was "promised" that they would do so when he restructured it earlier this year. It was on rotoworld. Also, apparantly rumors are that the jets are leaning towards keeping chad around as opposed to trading him. This could either be to raise the asking price or because they are not sure about clemens.

Also, there are more papers saying that vilma just had bone chips and fragments removed and it 100% wasn't microfracture surgery. That is a great sign.

Comment

• I'm hearing that Javon Walker wants out. Vilma for Javon straight up?

^^Sig From Nvot9
                            J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

Comment

• Originally posted by throwback54milkman View Post
                              I'm hearing that Javon Walker wants out. Vilma for Javon straight up?
                              I definitely wouldn't be happy with that. In a year or two, unless its New England or Indianapolis, I think Javon Walker is going to want out of wherever he ends up.

Comment

• I would not be happy either. He's too darn whiney and never seems to be happy with where hes playing. I want a guy who'll just shut up and produce; i guess thats asking a lot from a prima dona position, although cotchery and coles do it well.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information