Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Jets Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I am not a huge fan of Max starks, he is great in run blocking, but his pass protection needs plenty of work. He would definately be an upgrade over clement and could be someone callahan could mold. I think right now he would be my third RT choice, behind Stacy Andrews and Jordan Gross. I think for LG, my ideal situation would be sign Floyd Womack for couple year dear for decent money; he has a problem of getting hurt and is a tad old at 31 (i beleive) so he could be had for less and then also draft an OG to groom behind him. Maybe a converted neil cousins or someone in the middle rounds.

    "When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

    Comment


    • Womack's only 29, but he's not very good. Just trust me there. We'd be much better off drafting some random guy the second day of the draft. As for Andrews, I didn't know he was a free agent. I'd only want him as a LG, though, because he really wasn't that great at RT. He'd be a great pick-up though and probably the only guy I'd be interested in at OG.

      With Starks though I think he'd develop fine within our system. I just don't think enough emphasis was put on pass protection over there. And really, we're not heavy on the pass anyway. Ideally, we'd get Andrews and Gross, but that seems to be asking a bit too much.
      Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

      Comment


      • Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
        Womack's only 29, but he's not very good. Just trust me there. We'd be much better off drafting some random guy the second day of the draft. As for Andrews, I didn't know he was a free agent. eI'd only want him as a LG, though, because he really wasn't that great at RT. He'd be a great pick-up though and probably the only guy I'd be interested in at OG.

        With Starks though I think he'd develop fine within our system. I just don't think enough emphasis was put on pass protection over there. And really, we're not heavy on the pass anyway. Ideally, we'd get Andrews and Gross, but that seems to be asking a bit too much.
        Yaa, mangini brought andrews in prior to this season but didn't sign him becuase it would have cost us a 2nd rounder, which landed us david harris. Maybe you didn't see all of Andrews' games at RT, becuase he is a lot better at passpro than max starks, not to mention he is still fairly raw. I would love to have Andrews and Starks at LG and RT, respectively, but both are going to get very large contracts. Besides the bengals i see us as the favorites to land andrews, because of him coming in earlier last year.

        However, I am worried that the he may just stay with the bengals. They have a better QB, WR etc. and are under the cap more than we are. Now, i don't know if they have anyone to sign to contract that will take up the space, but it seems they have the means to sign him long term as wll.

        "When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

        Comment


        • Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
          Yaa, mangini brought andrews in prior to this season but didn't sign him becuase it would have cost us a 2nd rounder, which landed us david harris. Maybe you didn't see all of Andrews' games at RT, becuase he is a lot better at passpro than max starks, not to mention he is still fairly raw. I would love to have Andrews and Starks at LG and RT, respectively, but both are going to get very large contracts. Besides the bengals i see us as the favorites to land andrews, because of him coming in earlier last year.

          However, I am worried that the he may just stay with the bengals. They have a better QB, WR etc. and are under the cap more than we are. Now, i don't know if they have anyone to sign to contract that will take up the space, but it seems they have the means to sign him long term as wll.
          Oh, I might've mislead you there. I don't think Starks is by any means better than Andrews in terms of pass-protection or maybe even as a RT in general, but considering our need at both LG and RT, I'd rather put Andrews at his more natural position with Starks as a fine consolation.

          And while continuity with the system, the QB, and the rest of the OL should be important to him (if Chad leaves though, I'm not necessarily sure they'd be better at WR, and I don't think WRs really factor into the decision with OL anyway), I think there's some things going for us. One would be him staying a Bengal. Their troubles have been widely publicized and I'm not so sure many players would want to stay there given the opportunity to leave. Another is money. While you say they're more under the cap than us, they also spend less. Cincinnati isn't a big market and they're penny-pinchers. Realistically, if we were that interested, there's almost no way they'd spend more on Andrews than us. They're already not that happy about all the money they've had to spend on Carson, the receivers, and Levi.

          So if we were in fact the leading candidate of the other 31 teams, I'd have to stay there's a very strong chance he'd choose us.
          Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

          Comment


          • 2008 FA

            QB Marques Tuiasosopo UFA
            FB Stacy Tutt RFA
            TE Sean P. Ryan UFA
            C Wade Smith UFA
            LB Victor Hobson UFA
            CB Hank Poteat UFA
            FS Erik Coleman UFA

            Got his list from

            http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/featu...By+Team&y=2008

            I think Ryan, Hobson, and Coleman are definitely gone.
            Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

            Comment


            • I'll agree with that, although i would personally like to see hobson slide on into ILB next to harris, but that wish hasn't come true for a couple years now. I think tui will stay, he knows the offense and is a decent 3rd stringer. I also have a feeling wade smith will stay due to his ability to play everywhere on the line, especially center. I also see poteat hanging hangin around. Man i can't wait till free agency starts.

              "When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

              Comment


              • I like Hobson (Michigan guy) and I think he has real potential. But even though OLB is one of our biggest needs, ILB is basically stacked. We have 4 guys that are ILBs and we're making 1 of them play outside. Vilma, Harris, Barton (who did real well inside this year), and Hobson (who we force to play outside). If Vilma leaves, we should keep Hobson because it gives us depth and versatility in the LB position.
                Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

                Comment


                • In case you guys didn't see this. I posted this in another thread. Your thoughts, please.

                  Originally posted by TimDris View Post
                  New York Jets

                  Head Coach Weeb Ewbank

                  All-Time Team:
                  QB - Joe Namath ('65-'76) HOF
                  RB - Curtis Martin ('98-'06)
                  FB - Richie Anderson ('93-'02)
                  WR - Keyshawn Johnson ('96-'99)
                  WR - Al Toon ('85-'92)
                  WR - Wayne Cherbet ('95-'05)
                  OL - Joe Fields ('75-'87)
                  OL - Winston Hill ('63-'76)
                  OL - Kevin Mawae ('98-'05)
                  OL - Dan Alexander ('77-'89)
                  OL - Marvin Powell ('77-'85)

                  DL - Joe Klecko ('77-'87)
                  DL - Gerry Philbin ('64-'72)
                  DL - Mark Gastineau ('79-'88)
                  DL - Marty Lyons ('79-'89)
                  LB - Mo Lewis ('91-'03)
                  LB - Larry Grantham ('60-'72)
                  LB - Greg Buttle ('76-'84)
                  DB - Marcus Coleman ('96-'01)
                  DB - Aaron Glenn ('94-'01)
                  DB - Darrol Ray ('80-'84)
                  DB - James Hasty ('88-'94)

                  K - Pat Leahy ('74-'91)

                  Honorable Mention:
                  QB - Vinny Testaverde ('98-'03, '05)
                  RB - John Riggins ('71-'75) HOF
                  WR - Don Maynard ('60-'72)
                  OL - Randy Rasmussen ('67-'81)
                  OL - Paul Crane ('66-'72)
                  DL - Abdul Salaam ('76-'83)
                  DL - John Abraham ('00-'05)
                  DB - Ronnie Lott ('93-'94) HOF

                  Current Players:
                  (who have a chance at this list)
                  WR - Laveranues Coles ('00-'02, '05-?)
                  WR - Jerricho Cotchery ('04-?)
                  OL - Nick Mangold ('06-?)
                  DL - Shaun Ellis ('00-?)
                  LB - David Harris ('07-?)
                  LB - Jon Vilma ('05-?)
                  DB - Kerry Rhodes ('05-?)
                  DB - Darrelle Revis ('07-?)
                  Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by TimDris View Post
                    I like Hobson (Michigan guy) and I think he has real potential. But even though OLB is one of our biggest needs, ILB is basically stacked. We have 4 guys that are ILBs and we're making 1 of them play outside. Vilma, Harris, Barton (who did real well inside this year), and Hobson (who we force to play outside). If Vilma leaves, we should keep Hobson because it gives us depth and versatility in the LB position.
                    i agree with you on hobson..sign him now and let him play along side harris on the inside..he won't demand a ton of money because he has had his ups and downs i think as a jet, but this will give him a chance to prove that he can control the ILB position. the jets i think can still get pretty good value for vilma so they are going to shop him around..however, since we are at #6 and the 3 or 4 desired picks will most likely be gone, there isn't much to move up for if youre another team thinking of making a deal with vilma involved. jets can easily get a 2nd rounder for him.
                    "Somewhere in the world Ken O'Brien is laughing."

                    Comment


                    • Well, apparantly the report outta the probowl is Chad Johnson is causing some problems out their in hawaii. Half of me is wondering if he is trying to be the biggest pain in the a*s in order to force the bengals hand to trade him. He used to be one of my favorite players not on the jets and he's quickly falling down the list.



                      Chad Johnson shoved a Bengals media relations employee following Pro Bowl practice Thursday, according to FOXSports.com's Alex Marvez.
                      T.O. II? Marvez, with Bengals employee Michael Lipman beside him, asked Johnson if he felt better after venting at the Super Bowl last week. Johnson walked away, and when Lipman tried to ask again, Chad reportedly shoved Lipman and "stared him down." Johnson proceeded to admit on the NFL Network that he's "gotten out of line every now and then" behind the scenes, adding "what great one doesn't? Find me a great one that doesn't do the same things I've done and I'll stop playing. Period."

                      "When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
                        Chad Johnson shoved a Bengals media relations employee following Pro Bowl practice Thursday, according to FOXSports.com's Alex Marvez.
                        T.O. II? Marvez, with Bengals employee Michael Lipman beside him, asked Johnson if he felt better after venting at the Super Bowl last week. Johnson walked away, and when Lipman tried to ask again, Chad reportedly shoved Lipman and "stared him down." Johnson proceeded to admit on the NFL Network that he's "gotten out of line every now and then" behind the scenes, adding "what great one doesn't? Find me a great one that doesn't do the same things I've done and I'll stop playing. Period."

                        DON'T DO IT CHAD!!!!!! THATS WHY BARRY RETIRED!!!!!!!!!
                        Not really.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                          DON'T DO IT CHAD!!!!!! THATS WHY BARRY RETIRED!!!!!!!!!
                          Not really.
                          I am leaning towards him being a pain just to get traded, but i don't see that working to his advantage. I find it hard to beleive that any team in the NFL, let alone the AFC would actively try to improve the pats; i only mention pats, because that's what he's mentioned most. Ahh well, I can't wait for the dammn combine to roll along and then free agency.


                          I don't think there's a player i've grown more attached to getting in the draft or FA than Stacey Andrews. If we a team that isn't the bengals ends up gettinng him I know i am going to be miserable for atleast a couple of days.

                          "When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
                            I don't think there's a player i've grown more attached to getting in the draft or FA than Stacey Andrews. If we a team that isn't the bengals ends up gettinng him I know i am going to be miserable for atleast a couple of days.
                            Eh, I'd still prefer Alan Faneca and drafting a right tackle. Yeah, Stacey Andrews is younger, but assuming the Jets do draft a right tackle, they will have plenty of youth all along the offensive line. Faneca can provide veteran leadership to the Jets OL and IMO, I think to a slightly lesser extent, Faneca would provide to the Jets offensive line what Steve Hutchinson does for Minnesota.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                              Eh, I'd still prefer Alan Faneca and drafting a right tackle. Yeah, Stacey Andrews is younger, but assuming the Jets do draft a right tackle, they will have plenty of youth all along the offensive line. Faneca can provide veteran leadership to the Jets OL and IMO, I think to a slightly lesser extent, Faneca would provide to the Jets offensive line what Steve Hutchinson does for Minnesota.
                              Granted, Hutch was the best Guard in the league and in perfect condition. Faneca's a little older, not as talented, will cost a pretty penny, and will be much harder to get. To me, that seems like a dead end. It's not as if we're a team with its window closing; we're just the opposite, in fact. If we'd want some veteran leadership, we could do it by getting someone that would cost a considerably lesser amount. And still, realistically, it seems as though we'd probably have a better chance with Andrews. The only real reason it'd seem for Faneca to come to the Jets would be for a boatload of money, and that certainly wouldn't make sense from our side, at least to me anyway.
                              Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                                Granted, Hutch was the best Guard in the league and in perfect condition. Faneca's a little older, not as talented, will cost a pretty penny, and will be much harder to get. To me, that seems like a dead end. It's not as if we're a team with its window closing; we're just the opposite, in fact. If we'd want some veteran leadership, we could do it by getting someone that would cost a considerably lesser amount.
                                Yes, but not someone even close to being as good as Faneca, who while not as good as Hutch who is the A #1 LG in the NFL, he is still one of the 3-5 best LG's in the NFL IMO.

                                Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                                And still, realistically, it seems as though we'd probably have a better chance with Andrews.
                                Realism and preference seldom coincide.

                                Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                                The only real reason it'd seem for Faneca to come to the Jets would be for a boatload of money, and that certainly wouldn't make sense from our side, at least to me anyway.
                                And for once, I think it would be worth the boatload of money to get him. I think he'd provide that much of a boost to the offense as a whole. The aid he'd provide to the run game would be immeasurable, as a pass blocker, well, anyone's better than Clarke it seems.

                                I'm not saying Stacey Andrews would be a horrible signing or that I would even be opposed to it. But my preference is for the Jets to go and get Faneca, even if it means an obscene contract like some of the guards got last offseason.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information