Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think there's very many stand-out LGs in the league, so he's probably in the top five. Well, maybe not. I'd say Hutch, Waters, Dockery, Mankins, Dielman, Steinbach, and potentially, Allen, Manuwai, and Lilja are all better than him now.

But in any case, I just don't see the point in bringing the older, on-the-decline player in for more money if you already have a connection with a younger, above-average player you could get for less. Plus, he'd be good for what, three seasons? Four if he's lucky, and probably less. D'Brick and Mangold are going to be around for quite a while, and if we could develop some chemistry at the very least on that side of the line for years to come, they could become a franchise left side and, as a result, a franchise line, for many years, giving us quite the opportunity to get into the playoffs for several years, especially for the chance of an easier emergence into the top spot in the AFC East most probably coming in about 3-4 years. I don't know. I'd be more inclined for us to pay the hefty amount if in fact Faneca was so much greater than say, Andrews, but since I don't see it that way, I can't figure that it'd be so great of an idea. And plus, this'd fail to mention how easy it is to find a franchise Guard if you find the right guy for your system (like Jahri Evans for the Saints) later on in a draft, which would also come significantly cheaper.
    Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Oh and how come there's been no talk of Lance Briggs? Does no one think he could fit in the 3-4 on the inside? I personally think he could, and I think he'd be a terrific acquisition. He's only 27 and a playmaker. Obviously the demand for him would be high, and he'd probably favor a place like Arizona or something, but I think if we gave him the right amount of money, he'd come. What does everyone think?
      Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Like I said before, ILB is not a concern at all for the Jets. We have 4 guys on the roster that have the potential to be good to great starters. Yes 2 of them have a chance of leaving, but we aren't going to go out and pay a big name FA to fill a need that is not a concern. I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft someone Day 2 at ILB for depth.
        Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• Yeah, if we did keep Vilma or Hobson, I wouldn't see the need (I'm not a huge fan of Barton), but just in the scenario they did happen to leave. I just wouldn't be opposed if they did get him, but I'd much rather them spend their time on some of the players that have already been discussed.

Comment

• Barton actually had a pretty solid year; i personally would rather see hobson in their as i think he's just as physical but a bit more athletic. I really think vilma needs to go, but i'm not gonna get into that one again, i'll just wait and see what happens to him.

I fully agree with faneca not being a top 5 LG and not wanting to pay him as one as well.

It is also my beleive that Brick and Mangold don't need a vet between them, but a good LG. They are going to be entering their 3rd year in the NFL and they don't need someone to hold their hand/help with the counts; yes it would definately benefit them, but i think what they need more than anything is a good LG. I firmly beleive that a branden albert or roy schuening could come in here and do twice as good of a job as clarke did last year. I think we don't need to go the route of overpaying for declining vets, but instead get young good talent.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
              I don't think there's very many stand-out LGs in the league, so he's probably in the top five. Well, maybe not. I'd say Hutch, Waters, Dockery, Mankins, Dielman, Steinbach, and potentially, Allen, Manuwai, and Lilja are all better than him now.

But in any case, I just don't see the point in bringing the older, on-the-decline player in for more money if you already have a connection with a younger, above-average player you could get for less. Plus, he'd be good for what, three seasons? Four if he's lucky, and probably less. D'Brick and Mangold are going to be around for quite a while, and if we could develop some chemistry at the very least on that side of the line for years to come, they could become a franchise left side and, as a result, a franchise line, for many years, giving us quite the opportunity to get into the playoffs for several years, especially for the chance of an easier emergence into the top spot in the AFC East most probably coming in about 3-4 years. I don't know. I'd be more inclined for us to pay the hefty amount if in fact Faneca was so much greater than say, Andrews, but since I don't see it that way, I can't figure that it'd be so great of an idea. And plus, this'd fail to mention how easy it is to find a franchise Guard if you find the right guy for your system (like Jahri Evans for the Saints) later on in a draft, which would also come significantly cheaper.
              Well, I guess I have a high opinion of Faneca, who IMO out of your list of LG's is better than most of them such as Allen, Lilja, Waters, Dielman and most of the others. In fact, out of those, the only ones I could really say are better are Hutch, Steinbach, Manuwai and possibly Mankins. I do see him as that much better than Andrews and as for trying to find a cheaper guard to fit the system, well, thats what the Jets have been trying to do. With Marko Cavka, with Dave Yovanovits, with Jacob Bender and with Adrian Clarke. I'd say its not working all that well. I'd rather have the great guard and address the position again in 3-4 years then getting a pretty good guard and having to address the position 5-6.

If the Jets aren't going to wait 4 seasons to try to make a serious run, well, then I need to stop being a Jets fan. Not in a league where teams go from being at the bottom of the barrell to playoff or superbowl caliber teams from one year to the next.

The Jets are in bad shape right now, but there is no team in the league, not ONE who is four years away from contending for a playoff spot if they have a clue what they're doing*.

*Obviously excluding the Detroit Lions and Arizona Cardinals

Comment

• I'll just respectfully disagree about Faneca. We'll see how it all shakes out in the end.

But to be clear about the playoff thing, I wasn't saying that we'd make our run for the playoffs in four or so years. I'm just of the belief that Brady will begin his decline around that time and the division will be there for the taking, and at that point we could reign over the East for quite a while after that. But that's just the East. As far as playoffs go, realistically, we could get there next year, but I think that as far as veterans go, if we're going to spend a good deal of money on someone, preferably, I'd like to use it on guys at impact positions, such as WR or, well, anything defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                  Oh and how come there's been no talk of Lance Briggs? Does no one think he could fit in the 3-4 on the inside? I personally think he could, and I think he'd be a terrific acquisition. He's only 27 and a playmaker. Obviously the demand for him would be high, and he'd probably favor a place like Arizona or something, but I think if we gave him the right amount of money, he'd come. What does everyone think?
                  i have said it in the past and i'll agree that i would definitely pursue briggs and compete with the rest of the nfl to nab him. also, i have mentioned in the past that i believe that eric barton was the unsung mvp of the 04 season and even though he was plagued with injuries in 05, he is still a force in the middle. he may be a little slower in his step than hobson because he may have a couple of years on hobson, but he has that ex-raider fierceness and attitude that i loved even when he was in oakland. if he stays and vilma and or hobson goes, and we acquire briggs, we would be solid with LBs.
                  "Somewhere in the world Ken O'Brien is laughing."

Comment

• Originally posted by gio View Post
                    i have said it in the past and i'll agree that i would definitely pursue briggs and compete with the rest of the nfl to nab him. also, i have mentioned in the past that i believe that eric barton was the unsung mvp of the 04 season and even though he was plagued with injuries in 05, he is still a force in the middle. he may be a little slower in his step than hobson because he may have a couple of years on hobson, but he has that ex-raider fierceness and attitude that i loved even when he was in oakland. if he stays and vilma and or hobson goes, and we acquire briggs, we would be solid with LBs.

Keep three things in mind though about Briggs.

1. He's played exclusively in the 4-3 since he entered the NFL. Who knows how he'd adjust to the 3-4.
                    2. He has had the benefit of playing next to Brian Urlacher. Now while David Harris is a stud, he's no Urlacher.
                    2. Lance Briggs is going to want boatloads of money. Much more than he is worth IMO.

Comment

• I'm not a huge proponent of getting briggs, i don't feel that shelling out that type of money for an ILB in our system is truly worth it. We have our stud in Harris, we just need to find a nice compliment to him, which could be hobson. I think barton did an admirable job last season and if he stays than we'll just need to find a younger more athletic version.

As Scott pointed out our team needs, not that it was a surprise to anyone on our team because we've been mentioning the same 4 positions (OLB, NT, LG, RT) for months now, but ILB isn't exactly one of our needs. I just feel that acquring a LG, RT and OLB would have a tremendous affect on our team. The Oline would be set and we could finally evaluate Clemens a little better as well as give him a running game to work with.

I just found this on youtube actually..Gholston from the BCS game. The parts that really stuck out to me where ~30 secs where he just bullrushed the RT and than ~ 1:00 where he has a TE Chip him and the RT try to block him down the field while running a stretch play to the outside..gholston gets moved a yard or two and still makes the tackle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJAOY9iLsno

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Yeah shelling out tons of money for an ILB is just dumb. We need to concentrate on DL, OLB, OG, and OT... Hopefully we get a FA in at least 2 of those positions and then draft the 2 other positions round 1 and 2... that'd be best case scenario. then we can address WR, CB, RB, etc. in the later rounds and with 2nd tier FAs
                        Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• as far as FA goes, i would rather throw my money toward briggs than samuels, especially if the jets are going to shop around vilma. the quality at NT and DE in the first round are not worth the pick, so if the OG position is the most important position to draft, which i agree is also necessary, than the jets really need to make a move up and grab jake long, end of discussion. faneca is going to want a boatload of cash and he is on the decline of his career. if the jets want an OG in the 2nd, then they should just trade down in the first..i still think dorsey is too small as a NT and that is pretty much the only option possibly worth picks 1-10. im tired of the jets dancing around their needs at the O-line and just take care of it already.
                          "Somewhere in the world Ken O'Brien is laughing."

Comment

• I'm not really impressed by Dorsey or Ellis. Yes they are good players, but they aren't fit for the 3-4. Robertson is a good player and look what happened to him when they put him in the 3-4. Systems have to fit the players not the other way around, and we should be drafting guys who fit our system and team needs.

Comment

• Originally posted by TimDris View Post
                              I'm not really impressed by Dorsey or Ellis. Yes they are good players, but they aren't fit for the 3-4. Robertson is a good player and look what happened to him when they put him in the 3-4. Systems have to fit the players not the other way around, and we should be drafting guys who fit our system and team needs.
                              I think the important thing to do is trust that mangini knows what type of 34 he wants to run. I specifically remember mangini asking pouha to lose some weight earlier in the year because he wanted him quicker; mangini also talked quite a bit about how drob could be a revolutionary NT in the league. I still think he is waiting for his prototypical NT and possibly a DE or OLB to fit his system. I think it's tough to rule anyone out, becuase honestly i have no idea what he's thinking, he's very tight lipped. (which i like) As of right now, if I had to venture a guess, I would say their "mancrush" would be chris long.

Comment

• I'm pretty confident, especially after last draft, that we will have a fine draft. I am interested to see if / what the Jets do in FA.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information