Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Jets Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The o-line crop of FA's looks pretty deep this year. It's a good oppurtunity for us... let's just hope Tannenbaum isn't going to be stingy yet again.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Bluedevil$ View Post
      The o-line crop of FA's looks pretty deep this year. It's a good oppurtunity for us... let's just hope Tannenbaum isn't going to be stingy yet again.
      Alan Faneca
      Jordan Gross
      Jacob Bell
      Stacey Andrews

      Any would provide a massive massive upgrade to the Jets offensive line. Alan Faneca is my preference, but I'd be happy if the Jets signed any of them.

      Some other options

      Ryan Lilja
      Max Starts
      Travelle Wharton
      Justin Smiley
      Maurice Williams
      Stockar McDougle
      Torrin Tucker
      Sean Locklear
      Rick DeMulling

      although I have top question whether these guys are really the answer in the starting lineup. Although I'd like to see the Jets take a chance on Torrin Tucker for depth purposes.

      Comment


      • Jacob Bell is a FA? I didn't know that. I would love it if we could get him. I always thought he was underrated.
        Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

        Comment


        • Originally posted by TimDris View Post
          Jacob Bell is a FA? I didn't know that. I would love it if we could get him. I always thought he was underrated.
          Its entirely possible that the Jets will be able to get him. I've heard that the Titans have a lot of cap room which is all fine and well, but they also have a ton of free agents.

          Comment


          • I really hope the Jets spend some money this year. It seems like we are the big market team that is sort of cheap.
            Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

            Comment


            • Originally posted by TimDris View Post
              I really hope the Jets spend some money this year. It seems like we are the big market team that is sort of cheap.
              Its not even that the Jets are cheap, but they're spending the big money on the wrong guys. DeWayne Robertson, Chad Pennington and Shaun Ellis (especially Robertson) are three of the highest paid players in the NFL why?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                Its not even that the Jets are cheap, but they're spending the big money on the wrong guys. DeWayne Robertson, Chad Pennington and Shaun Ellis (especially Robertson) are three of the highest paid players in the NFL why?
                They gave Pennington that contract before his first rotator cuff surgery.

                Comment


                • I can't wait for FA to start. I just want to forget last season and look to the future again.
                  Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                    Its not even that the Jets are cheap, but they're spending the big money on the wrong guys. DeWayne Robertson, Chad Pennington and Shaun Ellis (especially Robertson) are three of the highest paid players in the NFL why?
                    you can thank terry bradway and herm for robertson contract. i think ellis is the only consistently average or above average player on our D line for the last 7 years, so i dont mind the money we give him. bryan thomas wasnt worth the money , and how can we forget the nightmare known as john abraham- thank god we never signed him back. our D line needs a lot of help and we need young players who are willing to sign a multi year contract who are already established in the league...we don't need any more "driftwood", players who are just floating downstream toward retirement, like kimo von whatever his name is (or for guys who were fans in the 90s, who can forget tony castillas from dallas? omg, i can't believe i said that name..lol..)
                    Last edited by gio; 02-13-2008, 04:53 PM.
                    "Somewhere in the world Ken O'Brien is laughing."

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by gio View Post
                      you can thank terry bradway and herm for robertson contract. i think ellis is the only consistently average or above average player on our D line for the last 7 years, so i dont mind the money we give him. bryan thomas wasnt worth the money , and how can we forget the nightmare known as john abraham- thank god we never signed him back. our D line needs a lot of help and we need young players who are willing to sign a multi year contract who are already established in the league...we don't need any more "driftwood", players who are just floating downstream toward retirement, like kimo von whatever his name is (or for guys who were fans in the 90s, who can forget tony castillo from dallas? omg, i can't believe i said that name..lol..)
                      But Ellis, like Vilma belongs in the 4-3. In the 4-3, he's an above average to pro bowl caliber defensive end. In the 3-4, he's part of a defensive line that gets mauled regularly. It saddens me to think that he was tied for the teams sack lead with FIVE



                      As for Bryan Thomas, I put some of the blame on people who touted how much better of a run blocker he was than John Abraham and that he was "always getting pressure on a QB but was one step away from getting the sack". That was never true.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                        But Ellis, like Vilma belongs in the 4-3. In the 4-3, he's an above average to pro bowl caliber defensive end. In the 3-4, he's part of a defensive line that gets mauled regularly. It saddens me to think that he was tied for the teams sack lead with FIVE



                        As for Bryan Thomas, I put some of the blame on people who touted how much better of a run blocker he was than John Abraham and that he was "always getting pressure on a QB but was one step away from getting the sack". That was never true.
                        And he would have been beat out if we didn't figure out david harris could rush the passer 3/4 of the way through the season haha. I know some don't like Coleman, but he's one of the few dlineman i think fills his role very well, however I beleive with a true 34 DE taking the place of ellis we could see a lot more out of our OLB. Well, maybe not hobson, but bryan thomas and whoever we get for our new OLB could see a lot of 1 on 1 matchups if our DEs could take on two blockers every down like they're suppose to.

                        As for Travelle Wharton or Jordan gross, I'm pretty interested to see what carolina does with them. One of them is going to have to be let go and even though gross wants to stay and is probably better, he is the RT. I have a feeling gross could be moved over to LT and they draft a RT or draft a LT and keep gross there. My point is, I'm pretty sure one of them is going to be let loose and it will increase the depth of the oline class.

                        "When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by TimDris View Post
                          I'm not really impressed by Dorsey or Ellis. Yes they are good players, but they aren't fit for the 3-4. Robertson is a good player and look what happened to him when they put him in the 3-4. Systems have to fit the players not the other way around, and we should be drafting guys who fit our system and team needs.
                          There are two schools of thought here...I think implementing the system around your personnel is the better route. I hate when these coaches are married to systems and force it on their teams often setting them back until they get the right personnel. The Jets tried to morph guys into 3-4 players, when most people knew that two of their better players (Vilma & Robertson) were poor fits. Heck, when Robertson & Vilma were drafted everyone said they were perfect fits for Herm's 4-3 cover 2. A similar thing happened with Hobson, when he was coming out people said he would be a good fit for the ILB in the 3-4, so what happens? When we get the 3-4 they leave him outside...

                          JM
                          J. MESS

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by jmess15 View Post
                            There are two schools of thought here...I think implementing the system around your personnel is the better route. I hate when these coaches are married to systems and force it on their teams often setting them back until they get the right personnel. The Jets tried to morph guys into 3-4 players, when most people knew that two of their better players (Vilma & Robertson) were poor fits. Heck, when Robertson & Vilma were drafted everyone said they were perfect fits for Herm's 4-3 cover 2. A similar thing happened with Hobson, when he was coming out people said he would be a good fit for the ILB in the 3-4, so what happens? When we get the 3-4 they leave him outside...

                            JM
                            We Jets fans are blasted for turning on Mangini two years in, but here is the reason why. With the exception of David Harris and Kenyon Coleman, is there anyone on the Jets defense better suited to the 3-4?

                            Comment


                            • Its ridiculous because all the players pre-Mangini are 4-3 players. All the post-Mangini players are 3-4. If Mangini would have given in we would have an entire defense of 4-3 guys and they might be very successful.

                              Front 7

                              4-3 Players
                              Shaun Ellis
                              Dwayne Robertson
                              Jonathon Vilma

                              3-4 Players
                              David Harris
                              Kenyon Coleman
                              Sione Pouha

                              Can Play Either
                              Eric Barton
                              Victor Hobson
                              Bryan Thomas
                              Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                                We Jets fans are blasted for turning on Mangini two years in, but here is the reason why. With the exception of David Harris and Kenyon Coleman, is there anyone on the Jets defense better suited to the 3-4?
                                im not turning on mangini after 2 seasons, but i think he is trying too hard to implement something he doesnt have the personnel for..if he would have stuck with the 4-3, he would have better results, at least on the defensive side of the ball..if he was going to drag out this 3-4 ideology for the 3rd season, obviously he is, than he should have s**tcanned the whole defense in 06 and start from scratch, not try and plug in players to see if they can change their role.
                                "Somewhere in the world Ken O'Brien is laughing."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information