Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have another question. Have we expressed any interest in possible FA full backs or anyone in the draft? I like Owen Schmidt
    Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexDown View Post
      You would really want either of those guys over Pennington? Really, honestly?
      Depends on the $$$$$$$

I know Pennington has restructed before, so I don't know what his current numbers are.

Comment

• a$$ load of guys cut by the dolphins and parcells which probably mean they suck but there are a ton of NT and RT including Joe Toledo former Washington T from a couple of years ago. any thoughts on signing any of the guys in this article

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3241124
        QB, OG, OLB, WR, CB, MLB, RB, FS

Exactly Why The Jets were the Coolest Team in the NFL under Rex, but Bowles is the man-see Arians speech:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
          Depends on the $$$$$$$

I know Pennington has restructed before, so I don't know what his current numbers are.
          I think Pennington will be on the roster next season. I could definitely be wrong, but I feel he will be. Guess it is just a hunch. I don't think it would be really surprising if he beat out Clemens for the starting job or even starts of few games due to situational circumstances.

Comment

• Originally posted by hcbrad08 View Post
            a$$ load of guys cut by the dolphins and parcells which probably mean they suck but there are a ton of NT and RT including Joe Toledo former Washington T from a couple of years ago. any thoughts on signing any of the guys in this article

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3241124
            Don't know enough about them to form an opinion, but if they were cut from a team that wasn't exactly known for its brick wall offensive line, thats not a good sign.

Comment

• Also, how do you see Justin Miller contributing this year?

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexDown View Post
                Also, how do you see Justin Miller contributing this year?
                I'll let you know after the preseason. I hope he can be a #2 corner, but as of right now, I doubt it. Funny when you think that once upon a time, he was supposed to be the answer to the Jets woes at CB. And that at the draft, we were literally chanting his name.

Comment

I'll let you know after the preseason. I hope he can be a #2 corner, but as of right now, I doubt it. Funny when you think that once upon a time, he was supposed to be the answer to the Jets woes at CB. And that at the draft, we were literally chanting his name.
                  This is an older, but interesting article on Mike Westhoff.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/28/sp...ll/28jets.html

It really is amazing when you see how well both Miller and Washington have done on kickoffs. Both were playing at pro bowl levels in this regard.
                  Last edited by AlexDown; 02-11-2008, 10:56 PM.

Comment

He just has so much potential. So fast and such a hard hitter. He was doing great before he got hurt last year. *Potentialy* I think we have a top 5 secondary. Remember potentialy. This is with us getting a pass rush and Miller and Smith/Elam improve.

Comment

• I don't like the idea of Penny coming back and I think it would be in poor taste. I fully believe Clemens will beat him out in training camp as he had a phenomenal one last year. I don't think that having chad sit on the bench for 16 games would be in the best interest in the team; yes he is a team player, but for a guy who wants to start and beleives he can start, i doubt he takes wasting an entire year on the bench. I expect penny to be traded prior to training camp and the jets to bring in a quality backup quarterback.

Miller has/had a ton of potential as it has yet to be seen how he comes back from his injury. If he comes back in the same form, he has all the tools to be a #2 CB, a good #2 CB. Continuing with our secondary; Elam surprised me and I think with a whole offseason of preparation of training and watching films his production will only increase. I'll be interested to see if darnell bing can mount any type of competition between elam and smith, but i still expect elam to be the favorite to start.

Two other guys i'll be eager to see are Kareem Brown and Stuckey. If stuckey can stay healthy I expect him to surpass Brad Smith as our #3 receiver and make a significant contribution. I don't have any expectations for brown except to hopefully turn into a solid backup.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
                        Jets Off-Season (FA only)

Sign Tommy Kelly - I think this move would be HUGE. Kelly is such a tremendous run stopper and would really help our DLine, I think he'd be a great NT.

Sign Calvin Pace/Clark Haggans - I think we're going to have to get TWO OLB's this off-season. One in the draft, and another in FA. Obviously not getting Dansby or Suggs, I'd love Calvin Pace (he's huge...272 lbs and a great pass rusher off the edge) to be a starter, and I'd love Clark Haggans to be a back-up or even starter...can still get 5-8 sacks I believe...upgrade over Thomas?

Sign Shawn Andrews/Shane Locklear/Alan Faneca/Jacob Bell - I really don't know if we've got a shot at any of these guys, all but Faneca seem like they'll be resigned, and with Faneca's age, is he worth ALL the money that he's gunna ask/be given due to bidding wars? I dnno..Jets have tons of cap space but I just don't know the likelihood. I'd love any of these guys though...no other OLman via FA though.

Sign Randall *** - Seems like a perfect fit...we need a veteran CB who's actually good, sucked in the Jags game though so I dnno.

First, yes Tommy Kelly would be a huge signing. But IIRC, he was a DE when the Raiders used to the 3-4 and at 6'6 300, probably not a good fit for the nose.

Second, no, I wouldn't want the Jets to sign Haggins or Pace, who have only topped only topped six sacks once each. To me, that seems like the wrong direction i.e. mediocrity. The Jets don't need someone who might be a 5-7 or a 6-8 sack guy. They need an 8-10 or a 10-12 sack guy.

Third: With the number of free agents Tennessee has, Jacob Bell is a very real possibility for the Jets. And while Shawn Andrews isn't a free agent, I don't see why Stacey Andrews is off the radar.

Fourth: This has nothing to do with this post, but when I wrote what I did about the cuts from Miami, I didn't take a good enough look at the list. I saw names like Anthony Bryant and Joe Toledo and had no idea who they were. But yes, I wouldn't be upset if the Jets took a look at L.J. Shelton and Marty Booker.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure I posted this a while ago, but wanted to gauge everyones reactions to it. Are there any holes that people see in gholston as a player?? The only thing i could think of would be his drive as a player and I've heard rumors he is a bit of a loner?? No red flags as far as character concerns, but I was just wondering what the negatives would be on him. I've seen that he was a bit stiff in coverage, but more fluid than merriman seemed to be when he came out.

* The parts that really stuck out to me where ~30 secs where he just bullrushed the RT and than ~ 1:05 where he has a TE Chip him and the RT try to block him down the field while running a stretch play to the outside..he gets moved a yard or two and still makes the tackle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJAOY9iLsno

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
                            I'm pretty sure I posted this a while ago, but wanted to gauge everyones reactions to it. Are there any holes that people see in gholston as a player?? The only thing i could think of would be his drive as a player and I've heard rumors he is a bit of a loner?? No red flags as far as character concerns, but I was just wondering what the negatives would be on him. I've seen that he was a bit stiff in coverage, but more fluid than merriman seemed to be when he came out.
                            From what I've heard, he's not the most consistant bloke on the planet. Also, he kinda looks like he comes from the David Boston and Bill Romonowski school of working out if you know what I mean.

Those are my biggest concerns about him.

Comment

From what I've heard, he's not the most consistant bloke on the planet. Also, he kinda looks like he comes from the David Boston and Bill Romonowski school of working out if you know what I mean.

Those are my biggest concerns about him.

From what i've heard and seen regarding a lot of his inconsistency, is more a misconception from teams gameplanning around him and viewers having no idea what's going on. I spefically remember watching a game where Gholston had no sacks, but 4 qb hurries, all of which forced the qb to throw the ball away and than viewers saying he didn't do anything because he only had a few tackles and no sacks. Teams throughout the year, like LSU did, ran a lot of slants and short passing routes to negate his speed as well as ran stretch plays to the opposite side he was on. However, he possesses the athletic ability to stunt and do creative things to counteract the gameplanning; LSU just outcoached tOSU this year.

I know what ya mean about his body shape, but from what i've heard he's looked like that ever since highschool. Apparantly, he was big into weightlifting and didn't play any sports in highschool until the football coach found out he wasn't a teacher and begged him to come play. I find it hard to beleive someone as smart as he is would take steroids since he was in 9th grade and continue to do so, but i've heard of plenty more stupid things, so it wouldn't surprise me. I think the same thing whenever i see guys like vernon davis and even now jstew, but i guess we'll see.

Comment

• He probably took a ton of supplements, but I doubt he juiced. Now Antonio Pittman, that was a guy that did...

In any case, I got to watch him up close at the 'Shoe this year and I'd say he's essentially a monster. Yeah, he's a little stiff in the hips, but with his ridiculous muscles, I think you have to kind of expect that, not to mention he's like 250-260. Of course, there were times where he was covering guys 15+ yards downfield, so I think he's got solid range. When he's able to stand up as a pass rusher (as he did on many occasions at Ohio State), he really is most effective. He certainly doesn't have motor problems, but I do think that if a bigger, budding elite Tackle locked onto him, he'd have issues for the fact that his array of pass rush moves is somewhat limited since he could get by on speed and strength so often. But that can all be taught, so I don't see anything else wrong with him. He's a "lead by example" sort of guy and real quiet, but great character. Just an all-around solid prospect with a cool name.

I really wish we could get him, but that almost seems too good to be true. It's hard imagining him slipping to us.
                                Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information