This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gang Green View Post
    You can remember how he left us for the Reskins, or you can look at all of the miraculous plays and catches he made for the Jets this season when the season was long gone. I'm not sure many other recievers would do that in the league. If he left we would quite possibly have the worst offense in the league along with a subpar defense.
    Bingo. Right now, receiver is not a big need for the Jets. Take Coles out of the picture and its probably the biggest need on the team. And not one thats going to be truly filled through the draft.

Comment

• No one is advocating getting rid of coles, but what good is a guy to the team if he won't be able to stay on the field or if he sits out?? Yes coles is our best reciever, but he was getting paid extremely well to be our best reciever. You don't give a guy extra years and more money just because you like him. You give him more money and extra years if you think he can stay on the field and be productive.

I definately agree that our offense would be aweful without him, but it won't be any better if he's sitting out whining about not getting a new contract that it doesn't seem he deserves. Our FO has guaranteed him the last 2 years and 11 million dollars, which is pretty amazing as far as general managers are concerned. This is also the same guy who said he wasn't sure how much longer he was going to be able to play, but now he wants to play more years on top of the two years he has remaining?? That doesn't seem right. It seems more like a player who sees his career dwindeling down and wants to cash in on a bigger contract. I don't blame him at all, but you can't blame our front office for not giving in either.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• If we trade Coles we need to take a WR with one of the picks we get in return for him. Sweed, Manningham, etc. in Round 2 would help. But is Cotchery really a number 1? I mean if we get rid of Coles, we'll have Cotchery, Smith, Wright, and Stuckey. Not good.
        Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• Originally posted by TimDris View Post
          If we trade Coles we need to take a WR with one of the picks we get in return for him. Sweed, Manningham, etc. in Round 2 would help.
          Not a fan of this. First, the Jets aren't going to get a whole lot for Coles. Maybe a third rounder because of his age. Second, I don't think any of these guys would be able to fill the hole in the offense losing Coles would cause. Especially Manningham, who I want no part of.

Originally posted by TimDris View Post
          in Round 2 would help. But is Cotchery really a number 1? I mean if we get rid of Coles, we'll have Cotchery, Smith, Wright, and Stuckey. Not good.
          Cotchery is a great #2 receiver. But thats all he is IMO.

Comment

• I honestly think that there is no way that Coles is leaving New York anyway, so this isn't the biggest issue.

Comment

• I would think that we would look to free agency to fill a need and possibly a draft pick if he leaves. I don't think our front office, and rightly so, will give into his contract demands. Is this the new way players demand more money?? It's pathetic. He signs a very lucrative deal and then halfway through it when he doesn't get what he wants, he chooses to sit out instead of get 5 million a year. We all know coles means a lot to this team, but he has an inflated sense of his worth, his 5 mill a year is a good deal. He isn't an elite reciever who is going to get 8+ million a year.

I see no reason why an ernest wilford or bryant johnson can't be had for the same amount of money and do the same thing coles did. They're younger and fit the rebuilding mode of our team moreso than an aging veteran.

Now, if coles wants to strap it up for two more years where he would make 11 million total, than i'm all for it. But, if he won't play without a contract extension than i see no reason not to trade him.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• you know what? they said the same thing about john abraham, that if the jets dont sign him to a big contract they were crazy..he had a career year in 05 when they were dogs**t, just like coles had an average to above average year at best in 07. doesnt mean he deserves the keys to the bank though. the jets were fine without abraham and they will be fine without coles AGAIN just like they were fine in 04 without him.
                "Somewhere in the world Ken O'Brien is laughing."

Comment

• Originally posted by gio View Post
                  you know what? they said the same thing about john abraham, that if the jets dont sign him to a big contract they were crazy..he had a career year in 05 when they were dogs**t, just like coles had an average to above average year at best in 07. doesnt mean he deserves the keys to the bank though. the jets were fine without abraham and they will be fine without coles AGAIN just like they were fine in 04 without him.
                  I'm not saying the Jets give Coles a blank check, but he doesn't have the same injury problems that Abraham did and the concerns that we had about Abraham leaving (the pass rush going down the crapper) have been realized. As for the Jets being fine in '04 without Coles, the Jets WR group was a heck of a lot better in '04 than it is now withour Coles.

Back then we had Chrebet and Moss and McCareins wasn't dropping everything thrown at him.

Now without Coles we have Cotchery and a whole lot of nothing.

Comment

• Muhsin Muhammad was just cut by the Bears. Any opinions on him?

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexDown View Post
                      Muhsin Muhammad was just cut by the Bears. Any opinions on him?
                      Old
                      Over the hill
                      Has never really excelled except in contract years
                      Someone I want the Jets to stay away from.

Comment

• If he could stay healthy, D.J. Hackett would be a steal (for the contract I assume he'll command, anyway).
                        Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• What is McCareins deal? What happened to the guy. He wasn't that bad the first few years. I thought he had some potential.
                          Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• JW

who is our Team Leader? I mean for the New York Jets Forum

Comment

• It was a poster named frogstomp, but he was banned a while ago.

Comment

• hey guys I don't know if some of you remember me but I was here a while ago and I start becoming more active around the draft time. I read the last 2 pages of this thread and just wanted to chime in on the whole coles situation. I think that we should take a look at stallworth when he will probably be released by the patriots and trade coles for a pick. I think that having cotchery #1 and stallworth #2 would be great for us.
                                J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

PLAYERS TO LOOK FORWARD TO:
                                KELLEN CLEMENS QB #11
                                BRAD SMITH WR #16
                                DAVID HARRIS MLB #52
                                DARRELLE REVIS CB #24

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information