This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
    Well that's too bad. I think Roy is out of our grasp, but maybe we can get someone else.

As for the draft, I'm not quite sure. Because of what I've read about Al Davis's past history, it seems as though Gholston might be a strong possibility. He fits the mold of the athletic freak, and he also wants someone that can rush the passer from the edge. Hopefully he falls in love with Sedrick Ellis or something. But as it stands, it looks as though there are three teams ahead of us in the hunt for Gholston, though Chris Long's performance, in my mind, almost certainly makes him a lock for the Dolphins.
    It's true Davis may enjoy a pass rusher of gholston's ability, but from everything i've read he is planning on trying to fill the holes on his team starting with a run stopping DT. I am just praying gholston or long falls to us; which is why i hope the dolphins trade down to the boys.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
      It's true Davis may enjoy a pass rusher of gholston's ability, but from everything i've read he is planning on trying to fill the holes on his team starting with a run stopping DT. I am just praying gholston or long falls to us; which is why i hope the dolphins trade down to the boys.
      if al davis decides to take gholston, that would really screw us. i think the jets will feel pressure to take the next best DT, ellis, and i think he is really undersized to be a run stuffer. nobody else at that point is worth a #6, so that will be interesting to see how the jets would react to a move like that from the raiders.
      "Somewhere in the world Ken O'Brien is laughing."

Comment

• Hey guys, first post back from suspension, figured what better a way than in the Jets forum...

Ok, I've been wanting to say this the last few days but obviously couldn't. It has to do with the fact that as mentioned above, I've heard a bunch of rumors that would lead to the Raiders taking Gholston (or in general just in any event that he's not here by 6). That being said, I've really been warming up to the idea of taking Sedrick Ellis assuming he's there at 6. I might even take him above Gholston. I know I tend to vacillate and overreact, so take this all with a grain of salt, but I think he'd be a great NT. I know 3-4 NT and 4-3 NT are quite different, but USC played sort of a hybrid 3-4 this year from what I read, and Ellis was obviously very dominant. Regardless of what defense he played, I think all his strengths match up perfectly with those of what a 3-4 NT should have. He's a force against the run and is especially dominant at the POA. I think some people have the misconception that because he's also a very good pass rusher, that he wouldn't be good as a 3-4 NT, but you have to realize, his specialty is consuming double and even triple teams...he just happens to be able to break them very easily and get behind the line of scrimmage and make plays, which is why he's seen as more of a disruptive pass rusher sometimes. As far as run stuffing at the POA, this guys the best in the draft and far better then Ahtya Rubin, Ellis is renown for creating new line's of scrimmage and pushing the whole line back. I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of taking him, because as Toonster has stated, I'll take a guy like Chris Avril or Quinten Groves in the 2nd/3rd over Gholston in the 1st. I think this draft is so loaded with pass rushing prospects (plus the possibility of signing a guy like Calvin Pace) that it would be almost foolish to limit ourselves to Gholston in the first round...as freakish as he is.

And Crickett....you win, Phillip Merling's coming out of my signature, his combine numbers were VERY poor in my opinion, regardless of his frame, I don't like that he came in at 276...plus he didn't show the strength I'd like to see..I just don't think he's a top 15 pick at all anymore...let alone a 3-4 DE.
        Glenn Dorsey will slip...

Jets will not take McFadden...

Comment

• Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
          Hey guys, first post back from suspension, figured what better a way than in the Jets forum...

Ok, I've been wanting to say this the last few days but obviously couldn't. It has to do with the fact that as mentioned above, I've heard a bunch of rumors that would lead to the Raiders taking Gholston (or in general just in any event that he's not here by 6). That being said, I've really been warming up to the idea of taking Sedrick Ellis assuming he's there at 6. I might even take him above Gholston. I know I tend to vacillate and overreact, so take this all with a grain of salt, but I think he'd be a great NT. I know 3-4 NT and 4-3 NT are quite different, but USC played sort of a hybrid 3-4 this year from what I read, and Ellis was obviously very dominant. Regardless of what defense he played, I think all his strengths match up perfectly with those of what a 3-4 NT should have. He's a force against the run and is especially dominant at the POA. I think some people have the misconception that because he's also a very good pass rusher, that he wouldn't be good as a 3-4 NT, but you have to realize, his specialty is consuming double and even triple teams...he just happens to be able to break them very easily and get behind the line of scrimmage and make plays, which is why he's seen as more of a disruptive pass rusher sometimes. As far as run stuffing at the POA, this guys the best in the draft and far better then Ahtya Rubin, Ellis is renown for creating new line's of scrimmage and pushing the whole line back. I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of taking him, because as Toonster has stated, I'll take a guy like Chris Avril or Quinten Groves in the 2nd/3rd over Gholston in the 1st. I think this draft is so loaded with pass rushing prospects (plus the possibility of signing a guy like Calvin Pace) that it would be almost foolish to limit ourselves to Gholston in the first round...as freakish as he is.

And Crickett....you win, Phillip Merling's coming out of my signature, his combine numbers were VERY poor in my opinion, regardless of his frame, I don't like that he came in at 276...plus he didn't show the strength I'd like to see..I just don't think he's a top 15 pick at all anymore...let alone a 3-4 DE.

I was worried you got booted, i was unaware there were actual suspensions..Anyways, i wouldn't mind the ellis pick, however I just heard a rumor that the jets, broncos and lions are ina three way trade that would land us rogers. This was heard on a radio station so take it with about 4 grains of salt, but if there is a chance that rogers ends up here that would take ellis out of the picture. After the combine C.Long put up I have him firmly as my 1a and gholston as my 1b. I am eager to see what happens on the first day of free agency this year, we have a lot of possibilities.

http://www.nj.com/forums/jets/index.ssf?artid=232557

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Yes I saw that link in the Rogers to Broncos thread, and saw your post as well...I feel cynical about that offer, don't see it happening. I think I'd really go for that though...

I forgot to mention about Ellis though, I think another big reason why he can be a 3-4 DE is because he is so stout. I really don't buy the whole height as an issue bit. Go and check, the nearly all the top NT's in the NFL are the same height as him (roughly 6' 1'') yet just very stout. It's not necessarily the size, it's the strength and positioning at the POA, and considering he once did 42 reps of 225, I think he's pretty damn strong. I see him as being very comparable to a very rich man's Tank Williams but more closely to Casey Hampton.

Comment

• goodbye JMac, Andre Dyson, and Adrien Clark

don't let the door hit u on the way out

go to the jets website for a source

^^Sig From Nvot9
              J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

Comment

• Wow. I didn't know the Jets would be included. Is that for sure? If so, that's awesome. We didn't even have to give up Vilma if that's the case. Haha.

Anyways, I was watching tape on Ellis and he reminds me a lot of Warren Sapp. Very impressive, but still, I'm not really a fan of him for the 3-4, regardless of what Mangini would want out of his NT in our scheme. Since Chris Long is unquestionably out of our reach at our current pick, my top choice would still be Gholston followed by Jake Long. Though, since there's a strong possibility all three could be taken before our pick, I don't really know what to do after that. I guess I'd have to hope McFadden was still there and we'd be willing to give him up to the Cowboys.
                Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• I dont think hes a 34 NT either.... he stunts and rushes well...rubins better for stuffing like a NT but isnt close to shooting the gap.

ALSO

Roosevelt colvin was released by the Patriots....Anyone smelll signing... I love him hes relatively young for their LBs. He could really help our D and we wcould hold off on a OLB this draft. or draft a later rd OLB like Tommy Blake to experiemnt if necc. I really hope we sign him.

Ive also met him and hes huge when he speaks to women he says stuff like yesum like to my friends mom who is his dentist he says hello miss Paddy. Mad Country. Love it.
                  Last edited by hcbrad08; 02-26-2008, 05:43 PM.
                  QB, OG, OLB, WR, CB, MLB, RB, FS

Exactly Why The Jets were the Coolest Team in the NFL under Rex, but Bowles is the man-see Arians speech:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Comment

• What happened to Dyson. He had an okay year in 2006 and I thought he'd do well covering Team's #2s all year while Revis took their #1s. I mean how do you go from the starter and 4 picks to barely playing in one offseason?
                    Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• Originally posted by TimDris View Post
                      What happened to Dyson. He had an okay year in 2006 and I thought he'd do well covering Team's #2s all year while Revis took their #1s. I mean how do you go from the starter and 4 picks to barely playing in one offseason?
                      He must have completely lost the trust of mangini in order to have a drop like this, becuase this was the short part of his contract and wasn't due only 1.2 million, so it wasn't a salary dump, but a straight up player dump. McCareins was due 2.5 roster bonus; he was both a player and salary dump.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
                        He must have completely lost the trust of mangini in order to have a drop like this, becuase this was the short part of his contract and wasn't due only 1.2 million, so it wasn't a salary dump, but a straight up player dump. McCareins was due 2.5 roster bonus; he was both a player and salary dump.
                        getting rid of dyson prob means that they are going to go forward and try their best to acquire samuel...personally, i liked dyson, and he was injured last year so i dont think he got a fair shake in being released. he didn't seem like just a stopgap free agent signing, i truly thought he would be here for awhile as a productive member of our team. obviously i could care less about clarke and mccareins..good riddance to 2 players that have impressed nobody.
                        "Somewhere in the world Ken O'Brien is laughing."

Comment

• Originally posted by hcbrad08 View Post
                          I dont think hes a 34 NT either.... he stunts and rushes well...rubins better for stuffing like a NT but isnt close to shooting the gap.

ALSO

Roosevelt colvin was released by the Patriots....Anyone smelll signing... I love him hes relatively young for their LBs. He could really help our D and we wcould hold off on a OLB this draft. or draft a later rd OLB like Tommy Blake to experiemnt if necc. I really hope we sign him.

Ive also met him and hes huge when he speaks to women he says stuff like yesum like to my friends mom who is his dentist he says hello miss Paddy. Mad Country. Love it.
                          I strongly disagree with your analysis that Ellis isn't a 3-4 NT. I think the common misconception (as mentioned earlier) is that just because he stunts and rushes far better than most, that that is all he's good at....when actually, that's not even what he's best at. He's extremely thick and stout and his specialty is stacking on lineman and pushing the line of scrimmage back and is a force at the point of attack and against the run, also an incredibly strong man. I think his athleticism and ability to rush the passer is better than just about all DT's in this draft other than Dorsey and maybe someone like Dre Moore, and therefore he's considered to be an under tackle or 3 technique guy, but people fail to realize that he's EVEN BETTER at what I mentioned above and would be a splendid option playing as a 0 or 1 technique NT in a 3-4.

Comment

• I was high on ellis a few weeks ago and had a conversation with toonster about it and his response to me was this (which after further analysis i must say, i have to agree with...as i generally do, becuase his analyses are pretty spot on)

"Sorry, quick answer as of now. Gotta run, and just noticed this. I think Sedrick Ellis can be a solid NT. If utilized as a NT, I'd rather see him at his current weight, if not a bit less. I'd be a tad worried about stamina, and unless he can add 15 pounds of muscle, which I doubt, that additional weight would be a waste. There's already some questions about his durability at the current weight, so more would be bad, IMO. He can play the NT spot, I think, but he can't do it by himself. That is, I would think you would need a good partner with him to rotate in and out. Put it this, I'm of the opinion that within the 4-3, he's more Tank Johnson (was a NT for the Bears in the 4-3, then a 3-4 NT in Dallas) than he is Tommie Harris, and if Mangini is willing to adapt his schemes a bit, he can be somewhat utilized akin to how Tank Johnson fits within Dallas' schemes. He leverages and explodes well, and I think the latter thing is something that's forgotten at times for the role responsibility. Granted, holding the line is far more significant than pushing the line, but the ideal 3-4 NT is one that holds and pushes, which I think Ellis can do.

Now, all that said, is he a great 3-4 NT? Probably not. Is he Dewayne Robertson? I don't think so either."

Comment

• a 1 gap DT is more for a 43...Ellis is more of a warren sapp and dewayne robertson than he is of casey hampton or vince wilfork. All of them are extremely strong but i really dont think you could argue that sedrick ellis wouldnt be much better as a 43 3 gap DT rather than a 0 or 2 gap 34 2 gap NT.

Youre right in a certain respect that size doesnt always dictate a postiion but Ellis' style of play is built for the 43 system. If Richard Seymours style of play coming out of georgia was better suited for NT he would play there despite his size.

I seriously doubt considering our widely know desire to trade for Shaun Rogers/ Kris Jenkins and our reported interest in Aythba Rubin at the combine that we would draft an undersized gap shooting DT. He excelled in a 43 look at his film...he doesnt eat space like Rubin and he played at a sub 295 weight \ I dont get how we can translate him with no experience at eat space,
                              Last edited by hcbrad08; 03-05-2008, 02:30 AM.
                              QB, OG, OLB, WR, CB, MLB, RB, FS

Exactly Why The Jets were the Coolest Team in the NFL under Rex, but Bowles is the man-see Arians speech:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Comment

• http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/defau...=1028972&mode=

Here's a rumor I just heard. I thought I'd pass it along just to get it out there. The word around the league is that the Jets have negotiated a monster deal for free-agent guard Alan Faneca (Steelers) that will pay him in the neighborhood of $20 million guaranteed. That said, I'm curious to see what transpires there. I've found a good percentage of pre-free agency rumors never materialize.
                                Hopefully it's true. Originally, I didn't want us to overpay for him, but considering our options at this point, I'll definitely take it.
                                Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information