Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Jets Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jets | Team re-signs Pouha
    Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:34:14 -0800

    The New York Jets announced Friday, Feb. 29, that they re-signed DL Sione Pouha to a contract extension. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

    and

    Jets | Team makes offer to Faneca
    Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:14:27 -0800

    Tom Rock, of New York Newsday, reports the New York Jets reportedly offered free-agent OG Alan Faneca (Steelers) a four-year deal worth $32 million, with around $20 million in guaranteed money. Faneca's agent, Rick Smith, said they are currently compiling offers from several teams, but Faneca is expected to make his decision no later than Sunday, March 2

    I pray we can get Faneca. He would take so much pressure off of D'Brickashaw. With Faneca, all we would need is a RT to complete our offensive line woes.

    Gamertag: KRAAAWG

    Comment


    • I love the Jenkins trade. I'm not really feeling any of the NT prospects in the draft so picking up one via trade is fine with me. It's a steep price but I think Jenkins is the perfect fit.

      As for Vilma I think we could've gotten more value for him, but we'll see how that conditional pick turns out.

      With the way the market's going, the Faneca offer is not bad at all. He'll completely rejuvenate our run game. I believe he can play 4 more years at a high level before possibly retiring.

      Comment


      • Hopefully our first pick is Gholston. Then we take a RT. Then in the rest of the draft we address DE, CB, and WR. If we take those 5 positions, really in any order, I will be happy.
        Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

        Comment


        • Originally posted by TimDris View Post
          Hopefully our first pick is Gholston. Then we take a RT. Then in the rest of the draft we address DE, CB, and WR. If we take those 5 positions, really in any order, I will be happy.
          I'm thinking a little differently than that...I think us loosing our 3rd and 5th rounder (despite it being absolutely worth it) means a trade down is more likely. I've said it a million times, but I'll say it again, it's much better value and I'd rather take a guy like Cliff Avril or Quentin Groves in the 2nd round than Gholston in the first round. I love Gholston, and he's a freak, but I think due to the lack of elite talent up at the top of the draft, he's being overvalued, and the difference between him and some of the other potential 3-4 OLB's is not as vast as some people think. In addition, and perhaps more importantly, the 3-4 OLB position is such a one dimensional position, that I don't feel it's absolutely necessary to take Gholston at 6th overall, perhaps would should attempt to stockpile some picks, get a first and an extra second or something, and then plan out our draft from there.
          Glenn Dorsey will slip...

          Jets will not take McFadden...

          Comment


          • For all ya'll that don't know, we just got Faneca. Thats two holes we have just filled in 1 day. I really like what we have done so far. Another possibility of a signing I can see us make is possibly the RT from San Diego (and from Long Beach, LI WOOT WOOT STRONG ISLAND), Shane Olivea. We then can put our needs toward a reciever and towards a OLB. I really like it boys, but we aint done yet.


            Via BoneKrusher

            Comment


            • Are you serious?!

              Comment


              • This is great news. I feel like we're just one year away from fitting everything together and getting back to the playoff picture once again. I now feel like there might be a lot of McFadden to the Jets hype now that we have a solid line, however Gholston would be an absolute monster for us and I believe we should take him.

                Comment


                • Apparently the Jets haven't gotten Faneca yet.
                  Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

                  Comment


                  • Ok, here's a look at a potential depth chart/starting line up for the Jets next year as of now. I'm doing this just so we, or at least I, can determine what are needs are now and rank them in order of most necessary to fill...

                    QB: Kellen Clemens / Chad Pennington
                    RB: Thomas Jones / Leon Washington
                    FB: Stacy Tutt
                    WR: Laveraneus Coles / Jericho Cotchery / Chansi Stuckey / Wallace Wright / Brad Smith
                    TE: Chris Baker
                    LT: D'Brickashaw Ferguson
                    LG: Alan Faneca
                    C: Nick Mangold
                    RG: Brandon Moore
                    RT: Anthony Clement


                    LDE: Sean Ellis / C.J. Mosely
                    NT: Kris Jenkins / Sione Pouha / Dewayne Robertson
                    RDE: Kenyon Coleman / Kareem Brown
                    LOLB: Bryan Thomas
                    ILB: Eric Barton
                    ILB: David Harris
                    ROLB: David Bowens
                    CB: Darrelle Revis / David Barrett / Drew Coleman
                    CB: Justin Miller / Hank Poteat
                    FS: Abram Elam / Eric Smith
                    SS: Kherry Rhodes


                    Ok, so this is how I see it...

                    Absolute Needs
                    1) 3-4 OLB - our biggest need, Gholston, Avril, and Groves come to mind

                    2) 3-4 DE - the way it stands known, Dewayne would likely shift over, regardless, I think we're going to need to pick one up, Merling, Balmer, Moore, and Bryant all come to mind from the draft

                    Those are the only positions that we can absolutely not stand to not address this offseason, we clearly have many other big needs, but theses two MUST be addressed.


                    Not as big of needs
                    1) RT - Clement is not awful and 4 of 5 OL being solid is pretty good so it can wait, but I think it'd be in our best interest to look for one in FA

                    2) WR - I love our depth here, we have a bunch of burners, but no big red zone threat with great hands (sorry Cotch) James Hardy seems perfect to me in the second

                    3) QB - I think QB's a bigger need than some think, but it's not going to and shouldn't be looked at at all this year. Between KC and Chad, we're solid, but next year we should look for our future.

                    We should spend a day 2 pick on these guys
                    1) FB - Stacy Tutt? No thanks, if we're really trying to turn our run game around, we're going to need a big blocker here.

                    2) RB - Why the hell not? So much depth at this position, I say we take a look at guys like Cory Byrd, Matt Forte, Ray Rice, and Kevin Smith...all aren't being looked at as top picks but could very easily develop into starters or at least provide valuable carries.

                    3) ILB - I don't see it as as big of an immediate need as most others do. People fail to realize, we played without Vilma all of this year too...Barton wasn't exactly bad. I think he definitely is getting old and could stand to be upgraded, but I think we should first look into a developmental guy for depth now who could perhaps surprise, and then focus more on this next year.

                    Possible Positions of upgrade
                    1) FS - I'm confused why most don't like Elam, I thought he was actually very good last year and a big part of Rhode's success. That being said, if Gholston's gone and no trade's available, I can't help but wonder what Kenny Phillips would look like next to Rhodes?

                    2) CB - I'm all for walking into 2008 with the core we have and see how it goes, but see "FS" for more info...perhaps we go with a guy like DRC or McKlevin in a similar situation as above.


                    Yea, that's about it :)
                    Glenn Dorsey will slip...

                    Jets will not take McFadden...

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
                      Absolute Needs
                      1) 3-4 OLB - our biggest need, Gholston, Avril, and Groves come to mind
                      Agreed.

                      Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
                      2) 3-4 DE - the way it stands known, Dewayne would likely shift over, regardless, I think we're going to need to pick one up, Merling, Balmer, Moore, and Bryant all come to mind from the draft

                      Those are the only positions that we can absolutely not stand to not address this offseason, we clearly have many other big needs, but theses two MUST be addressed.
                      Ehhhh, I'm not so sure DE needs to be addressed. The Jets finally have the dominant guy to plug in the middle. That may be enough and may make those around him better.


                      Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
                      [Not as big of needs
                      1) RT - Clement is not awful and 4 of 5 OL being solid is pretty good so it can wait, but I think it'd be in our best interest to look for one in FA


                      Clement is awful. Completely. Totally. Woefully. Awful.

                      Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
                      [2) WR - I love our depth here, we have a bunch of burners, but no big red zone threat with great hands (sorry Cotch) James Hardy seems perfect to me in the second
                      I hate the depth there. I think the Jets are an injury to Coles away from having the worst group of receivers in the league. Cotchery is a very good #2, but thats all he is and I don't want to count on anyone on the depth chart behind him. Especially Brad Smith.

                      Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
                      [3) QB - I think QB's a bigger need than some think, but it's not going to and shouldn't be looked at at all this year. Between KC and Chad, we're solid, but next year we should look for our future.
                      Look for our future? Giving up on Clemens so quickly?

                      Comment


                      • I don't know if everyone heard, but we actually traded Vilma for a 4th rounder this year and a potential 2nd or 3rd next year (giving up our 4th next year) if Vilma meets certain requirements. Much better than the original deal.

                        And I'd say almost undoubtedly that our first two picks should be OLB and RT unless we were to get some sort of steal. Granted, we don't have Faneca yet, so not getting him would be a significant hit. I think DE, ILB, and WR are the secondary concerns, with WR highlighting that group. I've been saying for a while that we need to add some playmakers, and that's definitely still the case. That's really the only reason why I'd be okay with drafting McFadden. However, I think a receiver like Monk in the middle rounds could end up being a steal for us.

                        All in all though, if at all possible, a trade down would still seem to be a solid option for us, though I definitely wouldn't mind a chance at getting Gholston (though still, the prospects look slim).
                        Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                          I don't know if everyone heard, but we actually traded Vilma for a 4th rounder this year and a potential 2nd or 3rd next year (giving up our 4th next year) if Vilma meets certain requirements. Much better than the original deal.

                          And I'd say almost undoubtedly that our first two picks should be OLB and RT unless we were to get some sort of steal. Granted, we don't have Faneca yet, so not getting him would be a significant hit. I think DE, ILB, and WR are the secondary concerns, with WR highlighting that group. I've been saying for a while that we need to add some playmakers, and that's definitely still the case. That's really the only reason why I'd be okay with drafting McFadden. However, I think a receiver like Monk in the middle rounds could end up being a steal for us.

                          All in all though, if at all possible, a trade down would still seem to be a solid option for us, though I definitely wouldn't mind a chance at getting Gholston (though still, the prospects look slim).
                          I heard about this, regarding Vilma from a few other posters. But does anyone have a link?

                          Comment


                          • http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/01/sp...rssnyt&emc=rss

                            That there should be enough. He touches on the fact that we get a 2008 pick and a potential 2009 one.

                            But I do have to say I love the attitude Jenkins is bringing, and I definitely think he brings more to the position than Rogers would have. I have confidence that he's really going to get into shape and be a force out there for us.
                            Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

                            Comment


                            • i'm not sure about the rest of u, but i'm pretty happy with what the team did on opening day. Address the OLB and hopefully RT needs in the draft and we pretty much did everything i would have hoped. It hurts to see Vilma go, but i think it was best for both parties. I will certianly be a Saints fan in the NFC now, but its unquestioned that my heart still lays with the Jets (just in case anyone had any doubts with my name).

                              There are however some variables with our pickups. Jenkins is injury prone and with a questionable desire. Faneca was said to have played below standard last year, but i assume that was due to the contract issue. Hopefully they both work out, and i really assume they will, forsure Faneca.

                              Sorry if some of this doesn't make sense, i read a sentence i wrote when i came back to the computer and it made no sense, so i changed it. May have had to much to drink. Overall, i'd say a successful day though. I got my Vilma jersey on, and will rock it with pride tonight, no doubt.

                              Here is to hoping for a solid draft, OLB first rounder.


                              Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

                              Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                              You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

                              Comment


                              • Just to throw the name out there, does anyone think it would be a good move if the Jets looked into signing Shane Olivea to replace Anthony Clement at RT?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information