Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know how much of a upgrade Woody would be, honestly. He wasn't that good at OT, and he's a natural OG. He has an injury history, he's older, AND out of position? At that point, it'd just seem as though we'd be spending money to spend money. But, I wouldn't put it past them.

Honestly though, as much as a bust Pace could be, I wouldn't mind bringing him in, because in theory at least it'd allow for us to really free up what we want to do in the draft.

As for McFadden, if you have a problem with his character concerns, you should have a problem with Hardy, considering he has them as well. Realistically though, with how high our FO is on high character guys, I don't really think getting McFadden or Hardy, if available, is all too realistic.

But as for McFadden being available... I'm not really sure I see that as a possibility. I feel that if he truly is there at at least #4, someone will realistically consider trading up to get him, namely the Cowboys. Most likely, if he falls past the Raiders, I don't see why whomever wouldn't trade up into the Chiefs' spot opposed to ours, considering, at least in theory, we would be a team interested in DMC. Hopefully someone will want to trade up, but it's not as easy as most make it sound, and there's a strong possibility the two Long's, Gholston, and McFadden are gone by our pick. One guy the other day had a draft scenario where they were all gone and he gave us DRC. I actually wouldn't be opposed to that pick (or McKelvin). Not really sure, at least at this point, how many players would really be worth it at that pick.
    Last edited by thetedginnshow; 03-02-2008, 01:33 AM.
    Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• As for McFadden, if you have a problem with his character concerns, you should have a problem with Hardy, considering he has them as well. Realistically though, with how high our FO is on high character guys, I don't really think getting McFadden or Hardy, if available, is all too realistic.
      I forgot about Hardy's issues, but it's alot bigger of a risk to take a guy with issues with a top 10 pick, especially when the guy is going to be asking for some serious cash, than a 2nd rounder with the same type of problems.

Comment

• and as for DRC or McKelvin at 6 if everyone else is gone, I'm all for it. Clady seems like a remote possibility as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
          Well first off, I wanna congratulate all us jet fans for having a damn good offseason, on paper atleast. I know some people didn't like the idea of signing faneca for that much money, but the way i've been thinking about it is, we aren't just paying that much money for 1 player. Yes, technically we are paying it for one player, but the impact will be felt at 3 positions; Dbrick will hopefully play better, he's a huge upgrade over Clarke and than the impact he'll have on mangold.
          This quote actually made me a little sad. As someone who has been a supporter of signing Faneca no matter what it took for a long time now, I wonder if fans are going to support it not because they thought the move because it was the right thing to do, but because its what the Jets did.

No, not sweet. When the news hit that the Dolphins signed Calvin Pace, I was actually happy because I think he sucks. If he ends up with the Jets, I'll be fairly ticked off because I don't think he really gives them anything. And I want no part of any offensive linemen from the Detroit Lions.

Comment

• I assume after this weekend we'll be able to get a better grasp of where we are and where those guys ahead of our pick are, so we'll be able to start pumping out our mock drafts. If we don't sign anyone else and get rid of Robertson, I'd already be sold on this off-season without the draft. Really hoping the Broncos, Panthers, or maybe even the Bengals will be willing to take Robertson off our hands. I hope we're not asking for too much.
            Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
              I assume after this weekend we'll be able to get a better grasp of where we are and where those guys ahead of our pick are, so we'll be able to start pumping out our mock drafts. If we don't sign anyone else and get rid of Robertson, I'd already be sold on this off-season without the draft. Really hoping the Broncos, Panthers, or maybe even the Bengals will be willing to take Robertson off our hands. I hope we're not asking for too much.
              Right now, the way IMO to make this the perfect offseason would be

Draft Gholston in the first and a RT such as Carl Nicks in the second round
              Trade DeWayne Robertson for ANYTHING
              Go back in time and undo the Vilma trade

Or

Draft Gholston in the first and BPA in the second. Preferably a 3-4 DE, WR or CB.
              Sign Shane Olivea

That'll be all I can ask for. Although that last one is going to be pretty tough. Bring back Vilma. :(

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post

Or

Draft Gholston in the first and BPA in the second. Preferably a 3-4 DE, WR or CB.
                Sign Shane Olivea

That'll be all I can ask for. Although that last one is going to be pretty tough. Bring back Vilma. :(
                I'm gunna now post this here also, because you STILL seem to not understand it...

Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
                Guys please get over the fact that vilma left. He was terrible in our defense and would have left us; he stated he wanted to be back in a 43 and a 34 wasn't for him. He was always a class act and you can still cheer for him, but just realize letting him go was the best thing for our team.

We got harris in the 2nd round and hes twice the linebacker vilma was in the 34 in his first year. I love vilma, but i'm not blinded by my admiration for him that i can't see he was hurting the team like you guys. He will remain a good player, but the bottom line is he has a degenerative bone disorder and was coming off the IR. The fact that we have a 4th this year and the potential for a high 2nd or low 2nd (if he signs than we swap our 4th with their second next year, which lowers a high 2nd to mid second and low 2nd to high 3rd) is more than we could have hoped for.

So you would have us not get another ILB just because vilma left?? That doesn't make any sense; we should be in the position to take the best offer or best player available at our pick.
                Yea seriously...it's getting old and annoying already. Vilma was a very good 4-3 LB...he was not the best, maybe not even top 5, but yes he was very good. He was atrocious however in the 3-4 and CLEARLY, EVER SO CLEARLY NOT GOING TO RESIGN WITH US AFTER THIS YEAR. As a 3-4 LB coming off an injury once considered career threatening, his value shouldn't have been greater than a 5th or 6th rounder, the fact that his value was higher was based purely on the potential that he would REEMERGE and play the way he did TWO YEARS AGO. As lovely as that sounds, and as likely as it might be that that will happen, the risk is still there and that simply even more so diminishes his value, not to mention the fact that the Jets had absolutely no leverage with their trading partner consider we'd be SCREWED IF WE KEPT HIM. I'm sick of hearing all this crap about how he'd be amazing in a 3-4 if only he had a better NT...that's absolute bull. It's impossible to tell if a simple upgrade such as that would affect his play at all, and even more so, Vilma was simply a horrible 3-4 LB...it had nothing to do with the lack of talent around him, it had to due with his inability to shed blockers and lack of size...his skill set clearly was not fit for the 3-4 and regardless of the ability of the 3-4 he WOULD HAVE FAILED. Furthermore, the need for an ILB in the draft has been the same the last two years. We still would have needed one had Vilma not been traded...why is it now all of a sudden a big deal?

My second point, stop complaining that we didn't get solid immediate value...first off, we did get immediate value, we got a 4th rounder (despite us possibly giving up a 4th rounder of our own I believe), but even more so, we got a 2nd/3rd rounder next year...this is exactly, if not better, value that we had projected all along...it just happens to be for next year, in fact I think we all might have been overestimated the value of Vilma so even more so it's good value. It's inconceivable to me that you guys are pissed that we only got a pick next year...what, is the 2nd rounder we would be getting this year going to bring us to the Super Bowl THIS year? Am I missing something, or are we not in a rebuilding mode? Since when did a rebuilding mode require you to get immediate value/picks? Is it that some of you just don't know the meaning of the word "future" when talking about rebuilding for the future?

I capitalized some of the words for you guys because clearly some of you still don't get it, perhaps this will help. Some of you guys need to stop dwelling on what was or what could have been, and realize that this was the right move and the best possible move we could have made at this point in time.
                Glenn Dorsey will slip...

Jets will not take McFadden...

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post

Or

Sign Shane Olivea

Hey if you can get that time machine perfected can be go back in time and draft Marino instead of O'brien and Warren Sapp instead of Blair Thomas?
                  J. MESS

Comment

• Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
                    I'm gunna now post this here also, because you STILL seem to not understand it...

Yea seriously...it's getting old and annoying already. Vilma was a very good 4-3 LB...he was not the best, maybe not even top 5, but yes he was very good. He was atrocious however in the 3-4 and CLEARLY, EVER SO CLEARLY NOT GOING TO RESIGN WITH US AFTER THIS YEAR. As a 3-4 LB coming off an injury once considered career threatening, his value shouldn't have been greater than a 5th or 6th rounder, the fact that his value was higher was based purely on the potential that he would REEMERGE and play the way he did TWO YEARS AGO. As lovely as that sounds, and as likely as it might be that that will happen, the risk is still there and that simply even more so diminishes his value, not to mention the fact that the Jets had absolutely no leverage with their trading partner consider we'd be SCREWED IF WE KEPT HIM. I'm sick of hearing all this crap about how he'd be amazing in a 3-4 if only he had a better NT...that's absolute bull. It's impossible to tell if a simple upgrade such as that would affect his play at all, and even more so, Vilma was simply a horrible 3-4 LB...it had nothing to do with the lack of talent around him, it had to due with his inability to shed blockers and lack of size...his skill set clearly was not fit for the 3-4 and regardless of the ability of the 3-4 he WOULD HAVE FAILED. Furthermore, the need for an ILB in the draft has been the same the last two years. We still would have needed one had Vilma not been traded...why is it now all of a sudden a big deal?

My second point, stop complaining that we didn't get solid immediate value...first off, we did get immediate value, we got a 4th rounder (despite us possibly giving up a 4th rounder of our own I believe), but even more so, we got a 2nd/3rd rounder next year...this is exactly, if not better, value that we had projected all along...it just happens to be for next year, in fact I think we all might have been overestimated the value of Vilma so even more so it's good value. It's inconceivable to me that you guys are pissed that we only got a pick next year...what, is the 2nd rounder we would be getting this year going to bring us to the Super Bowl THIS year? Am I missing something, or are we not in a rebuilding mode? Since when did a rebuilding mode require you to get immediate value/picks? Is it that some of you just don't know the meaning of the word "future" when talking about rebuilding for the future?

I capitalized some of the words for you guys because clearly some of you still don't get it, perhaps this will help. Some of you guys need to stop dwelling on what was or what could have been, and realize that this was the right move and the best possible move we could have made at this point in time.
                    Don't get me wrong I love Vilma, and its not easy to part ways. But, he was hurt, didn't fit, and was leaving eventually. Sooner then later so we can finally get past it, we can't do this and wait and let him rot.

Couple of points to touch:
                    -With the recent Jacksonville trade, I wouldn't be surprised if we make a trade with them shipping Dewayne down south. I can see a possibly similar deal that we got for Jenkins and if not then a fourth. Stockin up the draft picks to get Mangini's little dudes.

-I really want Damien Woody. Its nothing against Carl Nicks or Cherilus or any of those RT's, but I want a guy who is solid and has been in the pros. I really want to address this need more then a Calvin Pace because there is so much more Elite OLB/DE talent in this draft and its easier to address rather then an RT. I really just want Woody period.

-Lets say we do sign Calvin Pace, I still prefer a guy like Gholston or Chris Long. Both these guys are physical marvels and I feel that they would tear it up in the NFL. Chris Long has the blood to do it, and Gholston has the body. I don't know I really just want us takin one of these guys in the first. And inless Calvin Pace moves to the ILB, then let him go to Miami. If they get him, then parcells then passes up on Chris Long/Gholston to address a possible RT or QB situation. And if he wants to do something different, he will draft McFadden.

-This is my last note and its just a note for fun. I just read that Jason Taylor is leaving the Dolphins, anyone see a possible OLB in that guy for a couple of seasons? He was my least favorite person in the NFL for a while, but hed be one hell of a pass rush.

Via BoneKrusher

Comment

• i agree with crickett- trade d-rob for ANYTHING!! like even a hot cheerleader from another team would do..anyway, vilma was going to go, no big surprise, but did the jets have to GIVE him away?!? funny about the time machine comment someone posted- we could have gone back and gotten seau instead of blair thomas, or ty law instead of kyle brady?!? OMG what the hell did we do in the 90's!?!? i love the jenkins trade, faneca is a necessity, and it sucks that miami (just heard rumors but prob. true) just signed pace..he would have been a nice fit..oh well, lets see what next week brings.
                      "Somewhere in the world Ken O'Brien is laughing."

Comment

• whats funny is that I never heard hi goin to miami, or have seen anything considering we are the leaders at this moment..

Via BoneKrusher

Comment

• I think if we sign Calvin Pace and draft Gholston, Pace would have another spectacular year. Last year he was not the main focus of offensive coordinators, Dansby was, so he wasn't double teamed that much. Then again I only saw 2-3 Cards games. But I continue, if we have Gholston you an bet offenses will keep TEs and RBs on his side along with the OT, leaving Pace one on one with an OT. If we have 2 good OLBs like the Cowboys and Chargers our defense could actually get to the QB a lot. I hope we sign him.
                          Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• I could see what your saying, but i believe we should move him inside if he is able to be moved there...this is if we sign him

Via BoneKrusher

Comment

• I'm not completely sold on Pace. I'm not against the signing, but I don't want to invest 20 million into him, not right now.
                              Glenn Dorsey will slip...

Jets will not take McFadden...

Comment

• Star Ledger saying in addition to Olivea Maurice Williams is on the Jets' radar..
                                J. MESS

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information