This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TimDris View Post
    I for one hope that Gholston and Pace can become what Dallas has with Ware and Ellis. That means teams would shy a TE to one side and a RB to the other leaving the 3 interior linemen to block whoever else is coming. Plus that takes out 2 more players away from passing options. If Pace and Gholston can draw double teams our defense will be deadly. Our sack and interception totals will go way up compared to last year.
    i would love that and htikn that bryan thomas would also really help out in spelling pace and gholston (especially while gholston is learnign the OLB positiont becuase he will probably be tired out as he is used to plyaing closer to the line, and in effect the QB) and i think pace coudl be used inside too with thomas and gholston outside...but thats a hell of a lot of money invested in OLBs
    JETS

Comment

• Yeah that's a good point. I personally am hoping we trade down. Then we can take a guy like Groves in the 1st and still upgrade WR and CB in the 2nd or 3rd.
      Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexDown View Post
        I never said we needed an Pro Bowl or near that level QB nor did I say it was the most important position. I understand that the FA signings will take a lot of pressure and help whoever is at QB for us this year.

Like I said, we have just put a lot into FA this year without a clearly defined or proven signal caller to lead the team. I'm not ready to start making predictions yet, but if Pennington can't be healthy, and Clemens doesn't progress much more then what he has shown, we could be in for a long, or just dissapointing year. I don't know why thats hard to understand.
        i agree, all these FA pick-ups dont mean s**t if there is not a QB under center. im sick of chad's dinking and dunking and clemens didn't impress me..hopefully for all of our sakes either one of them shut me up and get us to the promise land..the difference with the qbs of the 00 ravens or the 02 bucs and chad is that they had a QB that can actually throw a pass more than 20 yards without the ball looking like a flying canned ham...and both teams had above average running games with #1 ranked Defenses..the jets dont have either.
        "Somewhere in the world Ken O'Brien is laughing."

Comment

• Well, I was going to break down why Ellis wouldn't be a great idea for the Jets, but now with so much happening, its rather pointless in making a huge writeup about it.

In an unrelated note, im a big fan of Chatman....but why? This didn't make any sense to me. Leon Washington needs more touches, not less. Why crowd that backfield? I didn't like that move by the Jets.

Im curious if some of you want DMac. If I were a Jets fan, id be pissed in getting him. You need a rushbacker, and one is going to fall in your lap. Can't pass that up.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
            Well, I was going to break down why Ellis wouldn't be a great idea for the Jets, but now with so much happening, its rather pointless in making a huge writeup about it.

In an unrelated note, im a big fan of Chatman....but why? This didn't make any sense to me. Leon Washington needs more touches, not less. Why crowd that backfield? I didn't like that move by the Jets.

Im curious if some of you want DMac. If I were a Jets fan, id be pissed in getting him. You need a rushbacker, and one is going to fall in your lap. Can't pass that up.
            Agree that I'd be pissed if we got DMac.

If anything, I think this move hinders the progression and touches of Jones, not Washington. I'd still expect Washington to get 5-12 touches every game, Chatman another 5-10, and Jones 15-20. I think this was a great signing, in all honesty, I don't think it takes away touches from anyone, I think it just adds touches that the Jets will give RB's in general. Clearly they have (on paper) improved tremendously in the run blocking game, so running was already going to be the main focus of our offense, I think the addition of Chatman was a great one, because now we've got a 3-back system with 3 very capable and very different yet complimentary backs who are all capable of assuming 10+ carries a game and being successful on the ground. I'm loving what we're doing right now. I think we've only got a few needs at the moment...I'm still not sold on playoffs next year, but I'm loving our chances to be huge contenders in two to three years.
            Glenn Dorsey will slip...

Jets will not take McFadden...

Comment

• Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
              Agree that I'd be pissed if we got DMac.

If anything, I think this move hinders the progression and touches of Jones, not Washington. I'd still expect Washington to get 5-12 touches every game, Chatman another 5-10, and Jones 15-20. I think this was a great signing, in all honesty, I don't think it takes away touches from anyone, I think it just adds touches that the Jets will give RB's in general. Clearly they have (on paper) improved tremendously in the run blocking game, so running was already going to be the main focus of our offense, I think the addition of Chatman was a great one, because now we've got a 3-back system with 3 very capable and very different yet complimentary backs who are all capable of assuming 10+ carries a game and being successful on the ground. I'm loving what we're doing right now. I think we've only got a few needs at the moment...I'm still not sold on playoffs next year, but I'm loving our chances to be huge contenders in two to three years.
              come to think of it, i can see Chatman being used exclusively as the short yardage back. the 3rd and 1s, the goalline situations etc.

if thats the case, then i like it. because i saw Thomas Jones bounce off defenders in the goalline way too much last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                Well, I was going to break down why Ellis wouldn't be a great idea for the Jets, but now with so much happening, its rather pointless in making a huge writeup about it.

I wouldn't be too pissed at picking mcfadden; if the FO thinks he's worth the pick than i'm sure he's the real deal. He's a superb talent but there is question about his push and lower body strength; however mangini, bradway (yes bradway was an aweful GM when it came to contracts but his real talent was in scouting and player development) and clinkscales have done a tremendous job in talent scouting thus far, so if they take him than i'll trust it's not another blair thomas etc.

I was a huge gholston fan the entire season and still love the guy, but after the signing of pace i'm not sure he is a necessity anymore. Mangini and his guys wanted pace badly enough for one of a couple of reasons i'm thinking..A)they think very highly of long and gholston, but don't beleive theyll fall to them or B) they know long is going 1 overall and think very highly of pace and don't want gholston, because they feel Dmac or someone else would be better value. I'm not sure what their reason was, but they obviously have high hopes for him.

I personally am not upset at all by the chatman signing. He is a pure downhill runner who can get the tough yard, provided he doesn't balloon up to 250 again. He is basically taking the place of cedric houston who would have backed up TJ last year, had he not retired. I don't think it will take any touches away from either TJ or washington, unless he outperforms jones in practice or creates a niche for himsel as a short yardage back. Running over the left side behind brick/faneca/mangold along with Richardson lead blocking, he could become what jerome bettis was in his last year; that guy who compiles a handful of touches a game, but all coming for first downs and a few td's. If anyone has anything to worry about it would probably be alvin banks and the other backups, in my opinion.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• The Jets can't draft McFadden in the first and then try to get a rusher (Quentin Groves?) with the 2nd round pick? Or maybe a Cliff Avril, etcetera.

I'm not saying it's what I would do, but I could understand that thought process. The Jets did a similar thing in 06, opting to take D'Brick over the heralded quarterbacks, but then drafting Clemens in the 2nd round.
                  Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geo View Post
                    The Jets can't draft McFadden in the first and then try to get a rusher (Quentin Groves?) with the 2nd round pick? Or maybe a Cliff Avril, etcetera.

I'm not saying it's what I would do, but I could understand that thought process. The Jets did a similar thing in 06, opting to take D'Brick over the heralded quarterbacks, but then drafting Clemens in the 2nd round.
                    It's definately an option. I'm not completely sold on mcfadden or any back this high in the draft; i don't like the shelf life and the money we'd have to shell out, plus very good backs can be had every year and lower in the draft. Guys like Ray Ray who would do very well with a solid oline, much like curtis martin, could turn out to be very solid and at a fraction of the price. But, if our FO takes mcfadden then im assuming they've watched him live and enough game film to justify the pick.

I like avril and groves a lot; groves has good upside due to his combination of speed and power, but i prefer avril for some reason. I think avril has a better understanding of the position and is a lot quicker to diagnose plays than groves and even gholston (chris long is the best in the class at diagnosing plays, in my opinion). Obviously all of them will get better while playing the position, but even though avril may not be as physically gifted as groves or gholston (he's not too too far behind though) he makes up for it in his awareness and coverage ability. He also can be groomed behind thomas and pace, while finding some playing time in certain packages and situations.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• wait, why did cedric houston retire again? personal reasons?
                      JETS

Comment

• Originally posted by nyjets5125 View Post
                        wait, why did cedric houston retire again? personal reasons?
                        Yaa, never specific. Dissapointing to becuase he looked pretty good when healthy, definately a good backup to TJ. He's now taking classes back at Tennesee i beleive.

Comment

• There are 45 days until the Draft. When should we all start putting legit mocks up in the 2008 positions drafting thread? I think it would be good to have a date to post up Jets mocks where everyone (or the usual posters who see the message) throws a Jets specific mock with explinations based on the picks the team has in the draft in the 2008:what positions are we (the jets) drafting thread. Do we still have a forum leader? If so please respond and set a date to do something like this and post it in this thread and the other thread Ive metnioned IN BIG BOLD letters. If not, BJoe you wanna set the date? 35, 30, 25 days from the draft? I just think it'll be fun. and we can look back at how wrong (or right but i doubt it) we were. Maybe even have some bragging rights (of which I expect to have very few but again ITS ALL FUN).
                          QB, OG, OLB, WR, CB, MLB, RB, FS

Exactly Why The Jets were the Coolest Team in the NFL under Rex, but Bowles is the man-see Arians speech:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Geo View Post
                            The Jets can't draft McFadden in the first and then try to get a rusher (Quentin Groves?) with the 2nd round pick? Or maybe a Cliff Avril, etcetera.

But the same is also true. The Jets can draft Vernon Gholston in the first and then try to get a running back in the second or later rounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by hcbrad08 View Post
                              There are 45 days until the Draft. When should we all start putting legit mocks up in the 2008 positions drafting thread? I think it would be good to have a date to post up Jets mocks where everyone (or the usual posters who see the message) throws a Jets specific mock with explinations based on the picks the team has in the draft in the 2008:what positions are we (the jets) drafting thread. Do we still have a forum leader? If so please respond and set a date to do something like this and post it in this thread and the other thread Ive metnioned IN BIG BOLD letters. If not, BJoe you wanna set the date? 35, 30, 25 days from the draft? I just think it'll be fun. and we can look back at how wrong (or right but i doubt it) we were. Maybe even have some bragging rights (of which I expect to have very few but again ITS ALL FUN).
                              Ya, that's definately a good idea. I would say 28 days would be good, which gives us roughly two and a half weeks to make up a mock draft of our positions. I say 28 days before, but it could be 30 or so; my idea is that by posting it a month before, it gives us the opportunity to tweak it every week for 4 weeks in case something happens that would skew our picks. We could make it every sat/sun/mon etc. and post one each week and then our final one the day before the draft. It would definately be interesting to see the changes we made over the course of a month and how accurate we are with them.

We should also set up a format; we could have one where we assume a trade (doesn't have to be with dallas but it could) and have fun with that and another one where we just do the straight out picks that we have. I would also say we should give our mock draft with picks, but like scott does give secondary positions that the team could look at.. for example

With the 6th overall pick the jets select: Darren McFadden - The jets upgraded their Oline yada yada and enhanced their dline making gholston unnecessary blah blah...however, if mcfadden isn't their look for the jets to pull the trigger on gholston..if both are gone and they can't trad down look for the jets to target leodis mcelvin or limas sweed.

Something along those lines where we are giving a pick, but because we aren't sure that player will be there we have the option of giving someone else. I would say limit it to two or three ansillary choices so as you don't just choose half the bigboard. Like for our #2 we could say Gosder Cherilus but if he's gone look for them to address OLB with Avril, Groves or their pass attack with James hardy...i would say three extra wouldn't be bad.

Some feedback for what people think about this format would be good. If doing it 30 days before the draft is ok with everyone than we've got a couple weeks to figure out a format and create our first mock.

Comment

• I think this is a good idea and I would definitely be in. We haven't had a team leader since Frogstomp was banned hcbrad08, but it might make it easier.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information