Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Jets Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • As long as they stay away from those, I would be happy with just about anyone. Except Mario Manningham.
    im just curious to why you think that
    JETS

    Comment


    • Originally posted by nyjets5125 View Post
      im just curious to why you think that
      A deep threat who showed a poor 40 time at the combine, and has problem catching the football.

      The Jets just got rid of Justin McCareins, they don't need another one.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Crickett View Post
        A deep threat who showed a poor 40 time at the combine, and has problem catching the football.

        The Jets just got rid of Justin McCareins, they don't need another one.
        he showed at his pro day that the reason for his bad 40 time was his technique...im a huge michigan fan so ive watrched him play for 3 years...he plays much faster than his 40 indicates and has a knack for making big plays (i was at the game his freshman year against PSU when they knocked off undefeated PSU with a manningham TD catch to win with no time left)...the drops are a little scary but i would definitely not be upset with him in round 2...he is first round talent and his 40 time is wrongfully dropping him in the rankings...hes not my 1st choice for WR and i would rather a tall RZ threat (hardy, thomas, kelly, etc.) but i would definitely not be upset with the pick

        and whats wrong with him being a deep threat? idk if that was sarcastic but if it was then you must not have watched him because he is definitely a deep threat
        JETS

        Comment


        • You never know how a deep threat is going to translate from college to the pros, it's just never certain that it's going to work out. Between that, his tendency to drop the ball, and his supposed attitude issues, I don't think he's going to be the kind of guy we go after. Marcus Monk who graduated in 3.5 years, had nice college production, and ran a 4.41 and 4.43 at 6'4 at his Pro Day seems more like the kind of wideout we'll target if we don't trade down in round 1, I don't see much of a downside at all if we grab him in the mid rounds besides some minor injury problems. Seems like a nice guy to potentially develop.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by nyjets5125 View Post
            he showed at his pro day that the reason for his bad 40 time was his technique...im a huge michigan fan so ive watrched him play for 3 years...he plays much faster than his 40 indicates and has a knack for making big plays (i was at the game his freshman year against PSU when they knocked off undefeated PSU with a manningham TD catch to win with no time left)...the drops are a little scary but i would definitely not be upset with him in round 2...he is first round talent and his 40 time is wrongfully dropping him in the rankings...hes not my 1st choice for WR and i would rather a tall RZ threat (hardy, thomas, kelly, etc.) but i would definitely not be upset with the pick

            and whats wrong with him being a deep threat? idk if that was sarcastic but if it was then you must not have watched him because he is definitely a deep threat
            Yes I did watch him. I watched him draft a ton of passes and as a result, I don't want him within a ten foot poll of the Jets. The first responsibility of a wide receiver is to catch the football. If you can't, it doesn't matter how fast you are, you're going to fail in the NFL. As far as Manningham's running technique goes, I've heard that was because of his lack of preparation for the combine. That makes me wonder, if he couldn't be arsed to be prepared for one of the most important days of his life, the NFL combine, doesn't that reflect poorly on him?

            As for him being a deep threat, IIRC, so was McCareins once upon a time.

            Comment


            • I'm currently re-tweaking my mock and I've got two different scenarios pretty well fleshed out but most of it depends on the Jets. The Jets have given me plenty of grief because I have Gholston, Long, Long, and McFadden gone and not much value left. I don't see anyone wanting to trade up. So given that I think either one of the two are most likely:

              Situation A
              6) Leodis McKelvin
              36) Cliff Avril

              Situation B
              6) Derrick Harvey
              36) Pat Lee

              I actually prefer A for the Jets as an outsider but I've heard that the staff wants Miller to actually become a a real corner and I'm not entirely familiar with the players so I'm asking you: Which is most likely? By the way, I had assumed that after the Dewayne Robertson bust neither Dorsey nor Ellis would be the pick, and Keith Rivers is the only other value that I believe the team is considering. Still, I think the Pats might take Harvey at 7 if the Jets don't so its not really a stretch.

              Comment


              • I'm not sure which is more likely as we've kept things pretty quiet but I definitely prefer the first. I think the difference between McKelvin and Lee is relatively considerable, and I really think Avril's a great pick for us and a nice fit as well. Also supposedly we offered Samuel big money last minute so it's not like we're totally sold on our CB situation right now.
                Last edited by derza222; 03-30-2008, 03:47 PM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                  I'm not sure which is more likely as we've kept things pretty quiet but I definitely prefer the second. I think the difference between McKelvin and Lee is relatively considerable, and I really think Avril's a great pick for us and a nice fit as well. Also supposedly we offered Samuel big money last minute so it's not like we're totally sold on our CB situation right now.
                  haha so woulndt thta be preferring the first?
                  JETS

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                    Yes I did watch him. I watched him draft a ton of passes and as a result, I don't want him within a ten foot poll of the Jets. The first responsibility of a wide receiver is to catch the football. If you can't, it doesn't matter how fast you are, you're going to fail in the NFL. As far as Manningham's running technique goes, I've heard that was because of his lack of preparation for the combine. That makes me wonder, if he couldn't be arsed to be prepared for one of the most important days of his life, the NFL combine, doesn't that reflect poorly on him?

                    As for him being a deep threat, IIRC, so was McCareins once upon a time.
                    i said i woudlnt target him as one of my top choices at WR but i definitely wouldnt mind him in round 2 if value isnt there at other positions that we need...hes quick enough to be a slot reciever now and can make some big plays which we are lacking...and then i think that he can be a solid #2 in the NFL and has a shot at a #1 as he progresses...the only problem woudl be if he maxes out at a #2 and we have 2 #2s and no true #1
                    JETS

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by nyjets5125 View Post
                      haha so woulndt thta be preferring the first?
                      Haha yeah good call bro.

                      I'm wondering what people's feelings on drafting Matt Ryan at 6 are. Obviously there's a lot of trust for the FO but I wonder what people would think of that. Our QB situation is certainly not the best in the league and drafting Ryan would be admitting we made a mistake with Clemens. I personally think it's too soon to admit we were wrong on Clemens but at the same time if Clemens is bad this upcoming year there's no real options at QB in next year's draft (or so it seems now, I know it's early) and if that ends up being the case a "win now" team would really be set back. I'm not sure how I feel honestly, we have so much stock in Clemens right now and we really have a very sticky QB situation. What does everyone else think?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Race for the Heisman View Post
                        I'm currently re-tweaking my mock and I've got two different scenarios pretty well fleshed out but most of it depends on the Jets. The Jets have given me plenty of grief because I have Gholston, Long, Long, and McFadden gone and not much value left. I don't see anyone wanting to trade up. So given that I think either one of the two are most likely:

                        Situation A
                        6) Leodis McKelvin
                        36) Cliff Avril

                        Situation B
                        6) Derrick Harvey
                        36) Pat Lee

                        I actually prefer A for the Jets as an outsider but I've heard that the staff wants Miller to actually become a a real corner and I'm not entirely familiar with the players so I'm asking you: Which is most likely? By the way, I had assumed that after the Dewayne Robertson bust neither Dorsey nor Ellis would be the pick, and Keith Rivers is the only other value that I believe the team is considering. Still, I think the Pats might take Harvey at 7 if the Jets don't so its not really a stretch.

                        I personally do not want to see the Jets draft a CB at the 6 spot. Hopefully Miller will progess and we can string together another year out of the rest. Basically we have addressed CB several times in the last 3 years (Law, Dyson, Straight, Miller, Revis) at the expense of other needs.

                        Besides even if we had Mike Haynes, Lester Hayes, Darrel Green, Ronnie Lott and Ken Houston back there Mangini the Mad Scientist of Defensive backs would find a way to work Drew Coleman and Hank Poteat into the rotation.
                        J. MESS

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                          Haha yeah good call bro.

                          I'm wondering what people's feelings on drafting Matt Ryan at 6 are. Obviously there's a lot of trust for the FO but I wonder what people would think of that. Our QB situation is certainly not the best in the league and drafting Ryan would be admitting we made a mistake with Clemens. I personally think it's too soon to admit we were wrong on Clemens but at the same time if Clemens is bad this upcoming year there's no real options at QB in next year's draft (or so it seems now, I know it's early) and if that ends up being the case a "win now" team would really be set back. I'm not sure how I feel honestly, we have so much stock in Clemens right now and we really have a very sticky QB situation. What does everyone else think?
                          If he was there and we couldnt trade out I would draft him presuming Gholston, McFadden and the Longs were gone.
                          J. MESS

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by jmess15 View Post
                            I personally do not want to see the Jets draft a CB at the 6 spot. Hopefully Miller will progess and we can string together another year out of the rest. Basically we have addressed CB several times in the last 3 years (Law, Dyson, Straight, Miller, Revis) at the expense of other needs.

                            Besides even if we had Mike Haynes, Lester Hayes, Darrel Green, Ronnie Lott and Ken Houston back there Mangini the Mad Scientist of Defensive backs would find a way to work Drew Coleman and Hank Poteat into the rotation.
                            If you look at the difference between Harvey and Avril and the difference between McKelvin and Lee, I think the difference between McKelvin and Lee is much bigger. In fact, Avril might actually be a better fit for us than Harvey as he's a better athlete and has more experience at the linebacker position. I just think McKelvin and Avril bring more speed, talent, and athleticism to our defense than Harvey and Lee. In fact, I really don't think it's close.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                              If you look at the difference between Harvey and Avril and the difference between McKelvin and Lee, I think the difference between McKelvin and Lee is much bigger. In fact, Avril might actually be a better fit for us than Harvey as he's a better athlete and has more experience at the linebacker position. I just think McKelvin and Avril bring more speed, talent, and athleticism to our defense than Harvey and Lee. In fact, I really don't think it's close.
                              i agree there, but maybe DRC over mckelvin? or am i just jumping on the DRC bandwagon?

                              i think DRC and revis would be nasty together, revis has the coverage skills, DRC has the ball skills and potential to take it back the other way on every play...i mentioned much earlier that i would love that and see it as the chargers CBs are now, revis woudl do what jammer does, and DRC would do what his cousin does...thats a pretty scary secondary putting revis and DRC with rhodes back there
                              JETS

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                                Haha yeah good call bro.

                                I'm wondering what people's feelings on drafting Matt Ryan at 6 are. Obviously there's a lot of trust for the FO but I wonder what people would think of that. Our QB situation is certainly not the best in the league and drafting Ryan would be admitting we made a mistake with Clemens. I personally think it's too soon to admit we were wrong on Clemens but at the same time if Clemens is bad this upcoming year there's no real options at QB in next year's draft (or so it seems now, I know it's early) and if that ends up being the case a "win now" team would really be set back. I'm not sure how I feel honestly, we have so much stock in Clemens right now and we really have a very sticky QB situation. What does everyone else think?
                                i really dont like matt ryan as a high pick...if we were to go QB, which i wouldnt really want to but wouldnt mind if somebody fell to us outside of round 1 and think we probably should bring in somebody like round 4-7, but i definitely would not want ryan 1st round...im not as high on ryan as most people are, and actually would possibly prefer both brohm and henne to him (henne might be because of my bias as a michigan fan)...but i would much rather brohm/henne/maybe flacco round 2 than ryan round 1 IF WE WENT QB WHICH I WOULDNT WANT ON DAY 1
                                JETS

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information