This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cant make my own threads, so Ill post it:

Why Clemens cant be labeled a failure, yet.

A. Kellen led us to 3 victories in 7 games and it should have been 5 if Jmac (Baltimore) and Cotchery (Washington) could catch.

B. His receivers overall dropped tons of passes that hit them in their hands. Smith and Cotchery especially.

C. Our coaches who have access to game film, play calls, correct read progressions, and etc. only blamed 5 of his INTs on him. For a guy starting behind a terrible OLine, 5 INTs that are his fault in his first ever 7 games is not bad at all.

D. 40% of our starting OLine from last year was so bad that they were cut by us and NOT SIGNED by a single team in the league! This is not the situation you want to throw a kid making his first career starts into and Kellen handled it very well. When the rest of the league tells you that 40% of your starting OLine doesn't even belong in the NFL then your QB's are in a totally unfair situation.

E. Our OLine was significantly upgraded this year with the signings of Faneca and to a lesser extent Woody since he is not on Faneca's level, but he must be a significant upgrade from Anthony freaking Clement.

F. Clemens played all but one game without our best WR Laveraneus Coles and had Brad Smith starting alongside Jerricho Cotchery. Smith is awful and wound up losing his starting gig before season's end due to being pathetic and Wallace Wright began playing along side Jerricho in 2 WR sets.

G. He showed a ton of poise and leadership leading multiple 4th quarter comebacks & drives (B'more, Washington, Pittsburgh, Kansas City).

H. None of us know anything about his pocket presence because he never had a pocket to show presence in. For everytime he had happy feet there was another time he hung in there till the last second and took a monster hit while delivering a completed pass. He did that multiple times vs. Washington, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland.

I. If Clemens was in this year's draft, and he had the Sr. year he had his Sr. year at Oregon and did not break his ankle he would have been a higher rated prospect than Matt Ryan was since he had both better stats and a better arm. Even if you want to debate that, he was surely a first round pick in this year's draft. He just happened to break his ankle and come out the same year as Vince Young, Matt Leinart, and Jay Cutler. Even with those high profile QBs and an injury that limited him at the combine he was still an early 2nd round pick his year.

J. Our coaches could be in a make or break year and felt they saw enough from the kid to not go out and draft a high priced rookie QB. Again, they are the guys who had and have access to all the game film and play calling, etc. and they were willing to hang their hats and their careers on this kid's ability to play the QB position.

From another site, some good reasons to why you cant label Clemens as a failure. Clemens can be succesful, and has a few young players to shoot with in Keller, Cotchery, Washington, Stuckey and possibly Woodhead who I like.

Comment

• You forgot about Marcus "Mute" Henry.
      Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• I like Henry, supposedly a possession guy but 18.8 YPC last year doesn't sound like a possession guy to me. Obviously he has an adjustment to make but he definitely showed he was capable of making big plays in college so maybe he can do it in the NFL as well.

Woodhead could be a nice signing, but Caulcrick was a UDFA signing that I liked even more. He's a 250 lb dude that does great in short yardage and goal line situations which we desperately need. He could easily make this team as a backup FB or third RB (especially after cutting Tutt) and run goal line situations this season while learning to play FB behind Tony Richardson, a high character guy and a great player. Caulcrick is a high character guy as well, I love his signing and definitely am rooting for him to make the team. Could be a great situation for him and he could really bring some things to this team.

Comment

• woodhead looks like a stud. he is a little on the small side, but i always root for the underdog. if he could do half of what he did in college, he is going to be a great weapon without a doubt.
          "Somewhere in the world Ken O'Brien is laughing."

Comment

• Tutt and Kowalewski cut today.

I'm surprised about Tutt because Mangini loved him as a special teams guy, but I'm glad because it'll give guys like Danny Woodhead a chance to make it.
            Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• Gholston's wearing the number 56.

WE GOT OUR LAWRENCE TAYLOR!!!
              Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Originally posted by TimDris View Post
                Tutt and Kowalewski cut today.

I'm surprised about Tutt because Mangini loved him as a special teams guy, but I'm glad because it'll give guys like Danny Woodhead a chance to make it.
                just a reminder.

Tony Richardson. One of the best fullbacks ever. Blocked for Adrian Peterson last year. Currently a Jet. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                  Gholston's wearing the number 56.

WE GOT OUR LAWRENCE TAYLOR!!!

as Joe Benigno would say, "From your mouth to God's ears"
                  J. MESS

Comment

• Wonder if Gholston will switch to 50 when Barton is gone, I might hold off on getting a jersey until Barton's gone and we see what Gholston does with that.

Another UDFA that looks kind of intriguing is Bryan Mattison, Scott's scouting report seems to make it seem like he could potentially be a decent fit as a 3-4 end for us, I'd guess weakside but I don't have a tremendous knowledge of the 3-4. Height isn't great but isn't terrible either at just a shade under 6'3, decent weight for the position at 290. Supposedly he plays with good leverage and is good against the run but not a great pass rusher, though he has a tremendous motor. Had either 8 or 9 sacks last year which isn't bad for Big 10 and a guy that's not know as a great pass rusher. Wouldn't be shocked if he makes the team like DeVito did last year, we can obviously use bodies on the line.

Comment

• A few other UDFAs:

Zach Catanese, Safety, Arizona State
                      Kenwin Cummings, DE, Wingate
                      Rodrick Johnson, OLB, Oklahoma State

any others?
                      Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• Wow. Catanese was a beast at ASU. More so against, the run, though. He could be valuable.

Comment

• Johnson too is very versatile and a pretty good fit for a 3-4 ILB. Not great in coverage or laterally but as a downhill thumper that stops the run and a blitzer he's got some value. Who knows, maybe he can develop into a valuable rotation guy. I see a few guys that are UDFA's that can really have some value for us down the road, this looks like a pretty good class for us. Wouldn't be surprised if 2 or 3 guys made the team, though obviously everybody faces an uphill battle.

Comment

• Jehuu Caulcrick is my favorite prospect, i would love for him to become our short-yardage back. His story is absolutely unreal and i can only imagine he has more to work for than anyone else; i hope he succeeds on our team, but just becuase of what this kid has gone through i hope he does well no matter where he is. He's got great measurables and a good work ethic, I think he has one of the best chances to make our roster as possibly the 4th string back and would easily see him replace chatman.

check out the story... http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/post...nspiring-story

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Wright got us listed as a loser on draft day? Whats up wit that? We got a pass rusher, got cb help, got two big targets. Explanation???

Comment

• Originally posted by Naked Jehuty View Post
                                Wright got us listed as a loser on draft day? Whats up wit that? We got a pass rusher, got cb help, got two big targets. Explanation???
                                Don't read too much into it; scott has been pretty down on the jets for winning the last game of the year and losing out on mcfadden in the draft because of it. From what i've heard, mcfadden really wasn't an option for us, it was Chris long than vernon gholston.

We did adress Oline in FA and could have used some depth this draft, but our oline should be significantly improved.

We used our 3rd and 5th to grab us a legit NT, which could have a huge effect on our defense in a positive way.

I like the signings of keller and lowery very much and didn't have a problem with any of the other picks.

SO in our draft, on paper, we took care of our OLB pass rush needs, NT (jenkins trade), pass catching threat in keller as a WR/TE, a potential backup QB with good potential in my mind in Ainge as well as a solid CB who could challenge for our starting nickleback role, #2 CB or even safety.

Any post draft draft-grade should be taken with a grain of salt considering no one has seen a single snap of any of these players. If clemens can make strides as a QB this year I expect very big things with our team..very big things.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information