Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generally speaking I am usually in favor of stability, and don't like to rush to judgement. Not rushing to judgement worked for the Giants with Coughlin and to an extent with Cowher in Pitt..hell it even worked for Chuck Knoll and Tom Landry too-though obviously they are far superior coaches to what we have.

However I have never been a big Mangini guy. Going back to his first press conference i doubted his abilities. Usually coaches inspire the fan base on their introductory press conference, but all he did was stammer through it and make very little sense. Heck, even Rich Kotite inspired Jets fans for a few days after he got the job. Obviously not withstanding that, he has not really differentiated himself. He consistently tried to fit square pegs in round holes but we always thought he had the pedigree to coach.

But now I think his weaknesses are being shown (will not rehash them now). If they make the playoffs I think he comes back (but both coordinators should be gone..especially Sutton) if they don't make the playoffs then he should be gone on Monday.

I wonder if Bill Cowher would take Woody's money?
    J. MESS

Comment

• I never mention it, but Cowher would be an amazing addition. However, i don't see that happening, we are far from that lucky...

Mangini doesn't have the long standing record of the other individuals mentioned where patience paid off. I still hold a grudge from him being an idiot and foring the 3-4 when clearly we had next to nothing that fit that mold. He couldn't wait, he had to push it and be stupid. I see far to many consistently stupid things from him where he just keeps forcing it to maintain his ego.

If i'm a football player (or anyone), i am not thinking 'leader' when i see/hear him. You need someone who can take charge and command respect to manage a football team. I don't see him as a 'players coach' either....so where does he fit.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
      You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

• bringcowhertony.com

Comment

• The head coach I'd like to see the Jets bring in is Marvin Lewis. I think between the distractions, what has happened to the Bengals OL and the loss of Carson Palmer, he has lost that team, but the Jets have better defensive talent now than the Bengals ever have under Lewis' reign there and I think he would be a better fit as the Jets HC than he did as the Bengals HC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
            The head coach I'd like to see the Jets bring in is Marvin Lewis. I think between the distractions, what has happened to the Bengals OL and the loss of Carson Palmer, he has lost that team, but the Jets have better defensive talent now than the Bengals ever have under Lewis' reign there and I think he would be a better fit as the Jets HC than he did as the Bengals HC.
            The guy to ask about this is Derza. He is a Bengals fans as well as a Jets fan, so he would know both sides. But I would be conflicted. I LOVE how he handled Chad; I always hate when players can get whatever they want just by demanding stuff under threat and then having coaches give in. However, as you said, he lost the the team. Even under extreme adversity, you need to hold your team together. Also, I dont like a lot of the guys he has brought in in terms of character. I don't think I need to mention names.

Comment

• Originally posted by josh07039 View Post
              Also, I dont like a lot of the guys he has brought in in terms of character. I don't think I need to mention names.
              Yeah, I know, but I always figured he wasn't the guy bringing them in. I mean, if he was, I'd think they'd have done more for that front seven in the draft and free agency.

Comment

• Lewis is an interesting guy to bring up here. You can say he lost his team, but they play pretty hard. Obviously the character there sucks but that's Mike Brown doing his "I like to give guys second chances" thing. I think Lewis is starting to get to choose what direction he wants to go in with players, but ultimately he generally ends up getting screwed. They employ almost no scouts, leak everything (remember the interest in Derrick Harvey last year that everyone here even knew about, and resulted in the the Jags trading up one pick ahead of them and stealing him? Sed Ellis, too. Not that Rivers was an awful consolation prize, but still...), and Brown still has the final call bringing back guys like Chris Henry. He definitely isn't to blame this year because their offensive line is testicles and they lost Carson Palmer. He's done an alright job handling 85, better of late but at the same time he isn't producing. So Lewis has him under control but what good is it when he's doing next to nothing? For all the trouble Chad gets from the media he's harmless, he just likes to run his trap which can cause problems but isn't a huge deal.

Anyways the guys play hard for Lewis, or at least they have this year, and the defense has improved slightly as the talent has. The offense has been their bright spot, which is interesting for a defensive coach. On one hand that's what he had when he started in Cincy, but on the other hand he's been bringing in defensive guys all the time and just has been unable to find the right fit. So it kind of makes you wonder what exactly he could have done to improve the defense, and what kind of defensive mind he is if he keeps bringin in guys to improve his team and doesn't get the job done. Now in New York could he rally the troops and motivate his players to play better than we have towards the end of the season and do a little more with a higher level of talent? Maybe. But he hasn't shown he really knows what he's doing with a defense, so I'm not sure. They have been playing alright this season though. One thing that I love is this is a team who has, granted playing the Browns last week and possibly the Chiefs this week, played hard all year. They have won two meaningless games, one of which was against a decent Redskins team, and have been in a lot of the games that they've played this year.

So I guess to sum up, he handles players alright but not great. However it's hard to judge him because first of all there are pretty much no guys out there like 85 and Coach Lew wouldn't have a situation like that out here. He'd have better scouts, more access to high-level coordinators (Bratkowski needs to be shown the door), and wouldn't have low-character guys forced on him. The players have played hard this year but at the same time I haven't seen the ability to develop a defense. Perhaps that's due to the Bengals being cheap among other things. If he came in here I do think he would keep the 3-4 but find a new coordinator to run it. However I think it's a moot point because IMO both of our coaches stick around, Brown wants to give Lew all the time he needs and while Mangini could be fired because of media/fan pressure I think Woody keeps him along to try and find some consistency. Ultimately I think he'd be a solid hire, you could certainly do worse with a lot of the unknowns out there.

Comment

• I originally thought we need the Patriots to lose and for us to win to be playoff bound. But I just heard on the news that if the Ravens lose, it doesn't matter if the Patriots win or not. One of those teams losses and we win, Jets are in. Can anyone confirm that?

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexDown View Post
                    I originally thought we need the Patriots to lose and for us to win to be playoff bound. But I just heard on the news that if the Ravens lose, it doesn't matter if the Patriots win or not. One of those teams losses and we win, Jets are in. Can anyone confirm that?
                    Yes.

sdgadh

Comment

• Originally posted by 'cuse-213 View Post
                      Yes.

sdgadh
                      But the Ravens are playing the Jags and the Jags havnt looked that good recently

Comment

• Originally posted by jetvilma51 View Post
                        But the Ravens are playing the Jags and the Jags havnt looked that good recently
                        Any given Sunday my man. Just think.. THIS very Jets team was once 8-3 and had a ticket written to the Superbowl.

Comment

• Originally posted by 'cuse-213 View Post
                          Any given Sunday my man. Just think.. THIS very Jets team was once 8-3 and had a ticket written to the Superbowl.
                          I always had a voice i n my head saying they wouldn't make the playoffs. For a while I was kinda taken in by the Favre aura. I thought that if anyone could get rid of the tradition of losing it was him. However, in the back of my mind I knew that this was still the same old Jets. Even if we do make the playoffs, it will be in the Jets way. Backing in is how the Jets do it.

Comment

• We suck. Chad showed us why we never should have gotten rid of him today. Favre better retire and Mangini better either grow a pair and learn to be a little risky once and a while or he better be fired.

Gamertag: KRAAAWG

Comment

• I am not on board with firing Mangini. He really is a solid coach. We do need a great 3-4 DC though.

Comment

• Shonn Greene and Leon Washington.

Pray.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information