This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by illmatic74 View Post
    He made a nice tackle on a punt on Sunday.
    i don't know if it was a 'nice' tackle, but it was a tackle non-the-less. i guess since he never makes tackles it would be 'nice' just because he made it.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
    You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
      I don't know what LT taught him, but whatever it was, it wasn't shown on the field.
      It could be a couple of things.
      1.Their working relationship has been overrated and he's not really what could be defined as LT's protege.
      2. Gholston is a slow learner and will continue working in the offseason and will be able to show his skills next year.
      3. He would've been able to make an impact relying on athleticism and the skills he's learning from LT if given more of a shot.
      4.He's never gonna be a 3-4 olb and would be much better at 4-3 de.

Comment

• Originally posted by josh07039 View Post
        It could be a couple of things.
        1.Their working relationship has been overrated and he's not really what could be defined as LT's protege.
        2. Gholston is a slow learner and will continue working in the offseason and will be able to show his skills next year.
        3. He would've been able to make an impact relying on athleticism and the skills he's learning from LT if given more of a shot.
        4.He's never gonna be a 3-4 olb and would be much better at 4-3 de.

Its sad, but I think he's going to be a bust. And to think I wanted the Jets to draft him. :(

Whenever I saw him on the field, he just sort of engaged with the offensive linemen and just stood there. And when he did get free, he looked like he would lose a footrace to a slow motion Drew Bledsoe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
          Its sad, but I think he's going to be a bust. And to think I wanted the Jets to draft him. :(

Whenever I saw him on the field, he just sort of engaged with the offensive linemen and just stood there. And when he did get free, he looked like he would lose a footrace to a slow motion Drew Bledsoe.
          I'm not so quick to give up on the guy. He is so athletic, I am not going to write him off as a bust just yet. I really think he just needs time in the 3-4 if that is inded what we have next year or if we go back to the 4-3, he should be able to contribute more as a defensive end. I would be more apt to agree with you if not for the article about him learning from LT. It shows that even if he doesn't have a natural feel for the game, he is willing to learn and develop his instincts with the best at his position.

Im not going to pile on Mangini and this is wishful thinking, but perhaps he would've done better if he were given more time to play. I'm not saying he should've played more because the guys in front of him were clearly better. However, it is possible if he were on a worse team with less talent in front of him, he may have been able to make some plays that showed flashes of his potential.

Comment

• I know you just got the 3-4 working, but if you bring in a 4-3 guy you could see an explosive season from Gholston. He was always going to be better as a down lineman.

Comment

• Originally posted by Race for the Heisman View Post
              I know you just got the 3-4 working, but if you bring in a 4-3 guy you could see an explosive season from Gholston. He was always going to be better as a down lineman.
              100% agree. As a DE he can live by his athleticism a little more.

Comment

• Originally posted by josh07039 View Post
                100% agree. As a DE he can live by his athleticism a little more.
                not sure that is the correct way to say it, as OLBs in a 3-4 have to be very athletic. However, he is stiff and hasn't done coverage before, nor has he rushed from a stand up position. He has the stength and ability (and experience) from the down lineman position that would better conform to his skills.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

• It sounds like Spags is in the lead for HC job.

Comment

• While I am no big fan of Mangini, one thing does annoy me about all of this is. We had two unproductive years molding a 4-3 team into a 3-4 team, and then we finally land a few parts to make it a 3-4 (and spend money) and we fire the coach. If I knew Cowher was a no go I think i would have leaned towards keeping Mangini..Its like we wasted 3 years...
                    J. MESS

Comment

• Originally posted by 'cuse-213 View Post
                      It sounds like Spags is in the lead for HC job.

Shaun Ellis________ Kris Jenkins _______ Kenyon Coleman ________ Bryan Thomas/Vernon Gholston

Eric Barton ________ Jonathan Vilma (I wish) _________ Calvin Pace

David Harris = Cleveland Browns or San Diego Chargers first rounder?

Comment

• Harris would be fine in Spags' scheme.

Comment

• I think we'll have a formidable defense with spags at the helm. like gsorace said, Harris fits in spags system. its not a 4-3 cover 2.

It looks pretty good. But it does change how we draft. Do we try to get an OLB to spell Pace and Barton?

Ellis - Jenkins - Mosley - Thomas
                          Bowens? - Puoha - Coleman - Gholston

Barton - Harris - Pace
                          idk about backups for LB
                          Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• Okay let's assume Spags becomes our next head coach. Now I don't know who he'll choose for an o-coordinator but this is what I think our top 3 draft needs are. (I'm not listing QB because of the question mark with favre)

1. WR
                            2. FS/CB
                            3. OLB
                            Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• Originally posted by TimDris View Post
                              Okay let's assume Spags becomes our next head coach. Now I don't know who he'll choose for an o-coordinator but this is what I think our top 3 draft needs are. (I'm not listing QB because of the question mark with favre)

1. WR
                              2. FS/CB
                              3. OLB
                              I actually list CB as a lower need than most because they at the very least have Lowry as the #2 CB.

At WR, Coles disappointed me a lot this past season and the Jets need a long term home run threat.

At FS, well, both of the Jets starting safeties are free agent.

At OLB, even if they bring Eric Barton back, he's not getting any younger if you know what I mean.

Comment

• uggghhhhh.

word on the street is Spags likes the Jets. he's a northeast guy and would like to stay here.

maybe he can motivate Gholston's worthless ass into something. if he can't do it, no one can.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information