Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Jets Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I do think we can convert to a relatively successful 4-3 provided it's a guy like Spags coaching. Harris would be alright at MLB and I think he could do some stuff with Pace at SLB kind of like he did with Kiwi. Thomas would have to become a down end as would Gholston, who Spags could hopefully light a fire under. Ellis sticks at strongside end with the other two on the weak side. Not sure where a backup type like Bowens ends up but he could probably back up at SLB and play a little end. Jinx obviously sticks inside at tackle with Mosely and Pouha. Coleman maybe slims down some and plays strongside end? Not sure where DeVito ends up. Barton would start at WLB if we re-sign him but he's not getting any younger and that's not a guarantee. Not sure if we really have another good WLB type. That spot and tackle are probably the biggest question marks on the front 7 if we to switch to a 4-3, with FS a need and corner not a huge need but not exactly a stable position either. If we pick up another 4-3 guy though I'll be pretty disappointed.

    Comment


    • Yeah if we move to Spags 4-3 D we should only have to fill those 3 spots (WLB, FS, DT). And to be honest that isn't bad at all for changing defenses. Those 3 spots and WR are our only true needs this offseason. I'm hoping for Spags or the Chin
      Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

      Comment


      • Originally posted by derza222 View Post
        I do think we can convert to a relatively successful 4-3 provided it's a guy like Spags coaching. Harris would be alright at MLB and I think he could do some stuff with Pace at SLB kind of like he did with Kiwi. Thomas would have to become a down end as would Gholston, who Spags could hopefully light a fire under. Ellis sticks at strongside end with the other two on the weak side. Not sure where a backup type like Bowens ends up but he could probably back up at SLB and play a little end. Jinx obviously sticks inside at tackle with Mosely and Pouha. Coleman maybe slims down some and plays strongside end? Not sure where DeVito ends up. Barton would start at WLB if we re-sign him but he's not getting any younger and that's not a guarantee. Not sure if we really have another good WLB type. That spot and tackle are probably the biggest question marks on the front 7 if we to switch to a 4-3, with FS a need and corner not a huge need but not exactly a stable position either. If we pick up another 4-3 guy though I'll be pretty disappointed.
        I think you might end up seeing some of those guys like DeVito and Coleman Slim down slightly and rotate in at De and also Dt one some plays. Spags used(not sure if he still does) DEs like Justin Tuck at tackle on passing downing to create a greater pass rush. Granted, those guys aren't Justin tuck, but I'm just throwing it out there.

        Also, I not only think Harris could fit, I think he'd be better. If he has fewer responsibility's in terms of coverage, I think he would be more comfortable. He frequently was pretty weak in coverage this year.
        Last edited by josh07039; 01-01-2009, 11:09 AM.

        Comment


        • Yeah that's a good point. We def need to add another productive guy to the DL.
          Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

          Comment


          • Originally posted by josh07039 View Post
            I think you might end up seeing some of those guys like DeVito and Coleman Slim down slightly and rotate in at De and also Dt one some plays. Spags used(not sure if he still does) DEs like Justin Tuck at tackle on passing downing to create a greater pass rush. Granted, those guys aren't Justin tuck, but I'm just throwing it out there.
            Yeah definitely, that's what I was thinking last night after I posted that but before I fell asleep. Even Gholston, with his strength, could potentially move inside on passing downs to allow for a guy like Bowens or Pace to slip in from the bench/linebacker and rush the passer. Defensive tackle is absolutely a need. An attacking potential WLB that could be interesting for us if he declares in the draft is Herzlich from BC, Spikes could fit as well though he's more of an ILB. He does blitz well, though. Really depends on his speed I guess. I'm really warming up to Spags though he's easily my favorite candidate right now, though I like Rex Ryan as well.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by TimDris View Post
              Yeah that's a good point. We def need to add another productive guy to the DL.
              Like this guy?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by GB12 View Post
                Like this guy?
                The guy looks familiar, but I don't think I've seen him on a football field in a while.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by josh07039 View Post
                  The guy looks familiar, but I don't think I've seen him on a football field in a while.
                  you must have bot have seen the specila twemas tackle he madwe the other day then. it was a beasttt

                  Comment


                  • Hey just seeing if anyone would like to join the new Forum Mock.
                    Right now nobody only one person has signed up to be the GM of the Jets and there is also an expansion team in this forum mock. So go check it out. Signups are scheduled to end Sunday night.

                    http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28445



                    Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

                    Comment


                    • Anybody know where Donnie Henderson's at right now? I was thinking about our previous coaching search and he was pretty awesome while he was here.

                      Star Ledger says Tannenbaum really likes Schottenheimer (Brian) and he's got a good shot to be our head coach. Frankly I'd be disappointed. Thoughts?

                      Of the head coaching candidates I like Spags and Rex Ryan the best. The major perk to Ryan is that we get to keep the 3-4. Both are well liked by their players and have had solid defenses, Ryan's over a slightly longer period but I'm impressed with how well the Giants have done without their two starting defensive ends from last year. Back to the scheme switch, I think our players could adjust to a Spags 4-3 with Pace playing a Kiwi role at SLB and Harris could be alright in the middle (he can't be much slower than Pierce) but unless we get a really fast WLB we'd have really slow players everywhere on that front seven.

                      Apparently Jenkins was slowed by a hernia injury in his back late in the season, the injury from the San Diego game, so at least that doesn't mean he began to wear down over the year. I still think we could use a legit backup to spell him, though.

                      Anybody know how much cap space we'd have for free agents/rookies if Favre does/doesn't come back? I know his cap number is like $12 million but how much do we have outside of that?

                      Finally, do you guys think we're going to re-sign Barton? If we don't that opens up a pretty big need at WLB or ILB regardless of scheme.

                      Sorry for the choppy post but I figured it'd be better to put the seperate thoughts in 1 than like 6.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                        Anybody know how much cap space we'd have for free agents/rookies if Favre does/doesn't come back? I know his cap number is like $12 million but how much do we have outside of that?
                        Im not possitive how much we have but by the looks of are players that are free agents, it dosnt look like we have many players leaving that take up much cap room except Favre and Barton
                        And heres a list of are FA just to show everyone

                        Eric Barton -------------Abram Elam
                        Bubba Franks -----------Brett Ratliff
                        Mike Nugent -----------David Clowney
                        Cody Spencer ----------Marques Murrell
                        CJ Mosley--------------- Wallace Wright
                        Ahmad Carroll------------ JR Reed
                        Tony Richardson--------- Ty Law
                        Jesse Chatman-----------Jay Feely
                        Hank Poteat

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                          Anybody know where Donnie Henderson's at right now? I was thinking about our previous coaching search and he was pretty awesome while he was here.

                          Star Ledger says Tannenbaum really likes Schottenheimer (Brian) and he's got a good shot to be our head coach. Frankly I'd be disappointed. Thoughts?

                          Of the head coaching candidates I like Spags and Rex Ryan the best. The major perk to Ryan is that we get to keep the 3-4. Both are well liked by their players and have had solid defenses, Ryan's over a slightly longer period but I'm impressed with how well the Giants have done without their two starting defensive ends from last year. Back to the scheme switch, I think our players could adjust to a Spags 4-3 with Pace playing a Kiwi role at SLB and Harris could be alright in the middle (he can't be much slower than Pierce) but unless we get a really fast WLB we'd have really slow players everywhere on that front seven.

                          Apparently Jenkins was slowed by a hernia injury in his back late in the season, the injury from the San Diego game, so at least that doesn't mean he began to wear down over the year. I still think we could use a legit backup to spell him, though.

                          Anybody know how much cap space we'd have for free agents/rookies if Favre does/doesn't come back? I know his cap number is like $12 million but how much do we have outside of that?

                          Finally, do you guys think we're going to re-sign Barton? If we don't that opens up a pretty big need at WLB or ILB regardless of scheme.

                          Sorry for the choppy post but I figured it'd be better to put the seperate thoughts in 1 than like 6.
                          Donnie is secondary coach for the Jags. I was always sorry to see him go. He had an digressive blitzing style I loved and I'm surprised he hasn't begun to rise in the ranks of assistants/coordinators.

                          If we hire Brian, I'm going to be pissed. He hasn't been the inventive offensive genius that people pegged him as when hired. I don't think he's as bad a coordinator as people think, I just don't think he's ready to be a head coach.

                          Honestly, I think Ryan is the safer pick, but I think I would prefer Spags. Over the 3 Mangini years, I've started to realize how much harder the 3-4 is to execute well. The personnel needs to be both physically and mentally just right. I've already said that I think our personnel could pretty easily switch to the 4-3 and perhaps excel at it. My other reason is that I would love to steal the Giants' wunderkind.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by josh07039 View Post
                            Donnie is secondary coach for the Jags. I was always sorry to see him go. He had an digressive blitzing style I loved and I'm surprised he hasn't begun to rise in the ranks of assistants/coordinators.

                            If we hire Brian, I'm going to be pissed. He hasn't been the inventive offensive genius that people pegged him as when hired. I don't think he's as bad a coordinator as people think, I just don't think he's ready to be a head coach.

                            Honestly, I think Ryan is the safer pick, but I think I would prefer Spags. Over the 3 Mangini years, I've started to realize how much harder the 3-4 is to execute well. The personnel needs to be both physically and mentally just right. I've already said that I think our personnel could pretty easily switch to the 4-3 and perhaps excel at it. My other reason is that I would love to steal the Giants' wunderkind.

                            Yeah I'm very surprised Donnie hasn't moved up very much, he was an awesome DC for us.

                            I definitely go back and forth on Spags and Ryan. Spags I really like for the reasons you do. The one real worry I have with the 4-3 is our front 7 would be so slow everywhere, Harris and Pace would have less than ideal speed at linebacker, Ellis is pretty slow at end, Gholston hasn't been very explosive, Thomas is alright but I think you get the point. Perhaps it wouldn't be an issue in his scheme, who knows. I'd be happy with either but happier with Spags.

                            To answer one of my own questions apparently PFT says that we'll be like 10 million over the cap with Favre next year, possibly more, and maybe 3 millionish under without him. Pretty ridiculous, I thought we'd be more under the cap than that. Not sure what we'd do if he doesn't retire but I'd imagine some vets will be on their way out one way or another, just depends how many.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                              Yeah I'm very surprised Donnie hasn't moved up very much, he was an awesome DC for us.

                              I definitely go back and forth on Spags and Ryan. Spags I really like for the reasons you do. The one real worry I have with the 4-3 is our front 7 would be so slow everywhere, Harris and Pace would have less than ideal speed at linebacker, Ellis is pretty slow at end, Gholston hasn't been very explosive, Thomas is alright but I think you get the point. Perhaps it wouldn't be an issue in his scheme, who knows. I'd be happy with either but happier with Spags.

                              To answer one of my own questions apparently PFT says that we'll be like 10 million over the cap with Favre next year, possibly more, and maybe 3 millionish under without him. Pretty ridiculous, I thought we'd be more under the cap than that. Not sure what we'd do if he doesn't retire but I'd imagine some vets will be on their way out one way or another, just depends how many.
                              I think that its a pretty easy fix and the speed factor may be a little overrated. David Harris' instincts should help him maintain a high level of play in the 4-3. Furthermore, I know 40 time isn't the most important thing, but he did run a 4.59 at the combine and instinct make you seem faster. Also, I know this may seem stupid, but I think as a DE Gholston could be great. In his first year, at the very least he would show more or his speed and athleticism in a more comfortable role. Besides those two, just a few athletic linebackers and a defensive tackle and we're in business. Also, another safety that can cover(perhaps merely a converted big corner-Lowery?) will free up Rhodes to make plays in the box.
                              Last edited by josh07039; 01-04-2009, 01:36 PM.

                              Comment


                              • The Newark Star-Ledger is reporting Brian Schottenheimer has emerged as the favorite be the Jets next head coach

                                Strange


                                Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information