This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
    Well I was specifically talking about the first round, but you make a decent point. I guess I was looking more at his successes though, which didn't particularly come from that area. But of course, what's always carried him was defense, which hasn't even ever been in his control, and that's why I don't particularly care for him for the spot.

I agree that he may not be for us, he was a very pedestrian coach after his Super Bowl win (with Dungy's team). It seemed to me that he didnt live up to his own hype and like it was pointed out the best part of that team was the 'D' which he had very little involvement in. Plus, I couldnt handle those chucky faces every sunday. Can you imagine if Favre comes back and he is the coach, his face will permanently freeze in the chucky pose after all of those picks...
    J. MESS

Comment

• Looks like the Gruden idea is moot because we're sticking to our original candidates and don't want to change course. I still like Ryan a lot so if we end up with him no disappointment here.

As an aside that I'm not sure we've gone into too much here, who wants Favre back?

Comment

• Troy Smith baby!
        Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
          Looks like the Gruden idea is moot because we're sticking to our original candidates and don't want to change course. I still like Ryan a lot so if we end up with him no disappointment here.

As an aside that I'm not sure we've gone into too much here, who wants Favre back?
          Not me. He has rubbed me the wrong way ever since he got here.

I hated hearing the second he got here, this mentality that he was just a one year deal, and he was a separate entity of the team. That whole speech he gave to the media along the lines of "You know what, I'm here, I'll do my best, but if it doesn't work out, it's OK."

I don't want to hear that Bret. Don't act like that. The Jets were committed enough to bring you here. This is New York.

I was really impressed how he started out.

I didn't mind that, while a big reason he was brought here was his arm strength, he could not throw the ball deep without getting intercepted. His short passes were crisp, had zip, and got to the receiver perfectly, something I am not sure Pennington could have done.

But the fact is, the experiment failed. We did not make playoffs, and a large part of that is because of his play the last 5 games. Although, I am not taking away credit for him helping us win games earlier in the season.

Comment

Rewatch the Arizona game. I'd like Favre back even though he was one of the two big reasons the Jets lost those last few games. I'll admit one of the reasons I want to see the Jets draft a receiver early is because with Favre, I think we've seen this before. We've all thought Favre was washed up, and then the Packers brought in Greg Jennings and Jason Jones and suddenly he wasn't. That and because I thought the receiver corps played like a bunch of guys who have gotten too used to those floaters coming their way from a certain noodle armed quarterback.
            Last edited by Crickett; 01-17-2009, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• I go back and forth on it all the time. Fact of the matter is we're going to have a very hard time competing next year without Favre on the roster because our quarterback position will be so uncertain. We'd basically be down to a rookie, one three young unproven quarterbacks on the roster, or a relatively mediocre veteran free agent unless we make a huge trade. A trade in all honesty would probably be a mistake because any team that's got a franchise QB isn't going to trade him away unless they have 2 and I can't really think of many teams in the league where I'd be comfortable with their second best quarterback starting for me. Plus we'd have to give up a ton. And none of the other options is appealing. At least if Favre is around we have a semi-viable option and we can groom a rookie or something to take over when he's done.

That said, we'll have a new coaching staff coming in and quite possibly a new philosophy. Maybe we won't want to toss it around as much. Our new coach is going to get time to rebuild anyway, it's just tough to tank a year. Another question is how far can Favre really take us? He really struggled towards the tail end of last year, maybe more weapons can help him but outside of an elite field stretching WR he basically had everything. Two tight ends that could catch and one that could stretch the field, two backs that could catch the ball out of the backfield, a very solid offensive line, two solid possession WR's, and a great run game to take pressure off of him. Maybe the deep threat makes a world of difference, but who knows.

The other major question for me is cap room. We're about 10 million over the cap now, if Favre retires that puts us 3 under immediately. Still not enough to get much done but it could help. Apparently if we cut guys like Bowens, Baker, I believe Ellis and a fourth guy that eludes me at the moment (Barrett maybe?) we'll be able to save around 8 million. Now that figure could be wrong because that's just something I read somewhere, but that's not even enough to get us under the cap and those first three guys have some value to us IMO. So if we keep Favre around without restructuring anybody we'd have to cut even more that, forget free agents even to sign draftees, which would be rough and kind of hurt our chances of competing anyway. I do think he gives us the best chance of competing next year, but at this point maybe that's not what it's all about, and it would obviously really hurt to cut a bunch of guys to get under the cap to keep him under the team when him retiring would almost account for everything we need to do.

Comment

• http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3843174

Looks like Rex is comin' to town! I like the hire, hopefully he gets this franchise on track. Interested to hear some of the stuff he says initially, could be some tips on what we're going to try to do in the offseason/draft, etc. Also I'm sure he'll get Favre questions, and it'll be good to know who our coordinators end up being.

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3843174

Looks like Rex is comin' to town! I like the hire, hopefully he gets this franchise on track. Interested to hear some of the stuff he says initially, could be some tips on what we're going to try to do in the offseason/draft, etc. Also I'm sure he'll get Favre questions, and it'll be good to know who our coordinators end up being.
                  Hopefully he will bring those Baltimore defensive schemes to the Jets. They have some pieces for the defense, and maybe Ryan can transfer Gholston into a stud

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                  Show me your Wang, if you will.

Comment

• Originally posted by aNYtitan View Post
                    Hopefully he will bring those Baltimore defensive schemes to the Jets. They have some pieces for the defense, and maybe Ryan can transfer Gholston into a stud
                    That's absolutely what I'm hoping for. I'd love to see if he can light a fire under Gholston and really turn him into a player, and I hope he brings somebody in from Baltimore to be DC and implement the same kind of scheme he ran there. I hear their linebackers coach is the early favorite for the job.

Comment

That's absolutely what I'm hoping for. I'd love to see if he can light a fire under Gholston and really turn him into a player, and I hope he brings somebody in from Baltimore to be DC and implement the same kind of scheme he ran there. I hear their linebackers coach is the early favorite for the job.
                      I hear that Bart Scott is probably going to be the odd man out in B-More, so with your teams need to sign an ILB, maybe that piece will fit.

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                      Show me your Wang, if you will.

Comment

I hear that Bart Scott is probably going to be the odd man out in B-More, so with your teams need to sign an ILB, maybe that piece will fit.
                        Wouldn't be a bad sign at all, hopefully we could clear enough cap room to bring him in for a couple years and then we wouldn't have to address the position via draft till the mid-rounds. I'm hoping Ryan can bring in somebody at a defensive position of need (ILB, S, CB though I think our situation is probably better than theirs, DE even) from that large group of Ravens free agents that he feels is capable of starting in his scheme.

Comment

On that note, am I the only one who would really like Maulaga if he fell to us at 17? I think he would be a great addition to this team, and give us a very nice and young LB corps

Sig by Me

Comment

• Originally posted by JETS5128 View Post
                            On that note, am I the only one who would really like Maulaga if he fell to us at 17? I think he would be a great addition to this team, and give us a very nice and young LB corps
                            I like Maualuga and would be fine with drafting him at 17. Preferred Brandon Spikes but he didn't enter, and I kind of prefer Clint Sintim also but who knows if Ryan or the FO will think he's a fit. Sintim's my favorite linebacker for us to draft if he's a fit inside by a decent margin because I think he's got the versatility to cover and will be nasty when we decide to send him on blitzes. He's an awesome pass rusher, I'm just not sure if he fits better inside or outside in the 3-4.

Comment

• awwwwwwwwwww MOTHER EFFIN YEAH
                              Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• I was looking at the Ravens depth chart just to get an idea of how some of our guys are going to fit in, and they have their defensive line listed as LDT, NT, and RDT. So awesome. It'll be great to get some legit bulk up front. With that in mind though, along with our cap issues, I wonder if Shaun Ellis might be on his way out.

Also I had a question about Kerry Rhodes' position on our team given I've assumed he's a SS and he's listed as a FS basically everywhere that I posted in the 2009 draft forum. It's a little more detailed there but an answer would be pretty sweet cuz that threw me off a little.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information