• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerry Rhodes can and has played both safety spots

Comment

• Originally posted by gsorace View Post
      Kerry Rhodes can and has played both safety spots
      Gotcha, thanks. In that case I think I would would prefer him at SS but it's nice to have the versatility to go either way come draft day and in free agency.

Comment

• Yea Rhodes can play both but i would rather him at SS. I am very excited 2 have Rex as our coach and think he will turn our average 3-4 D into a terrifying ball hungry D.

Comment

• I hope Rex could bring over at least one big name player from the Ravens D. I heard Ray Lewis was close to an extension but Terrell Suggs, Bart Scott or Dawan Landry would be just as good too

Comment

• Originally posted by jetvilma51 View Post
            I hope Rex could bring over at least one big name player from the Ravens D. I heard Ray Lewis was close to an extension but Terrell Suggs, Bart Scott or Dawan Landry would be just as good too
            I think he could if the Jets had any cap room to sign them. :(

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
              I think he could if the Jets had any cap room to sign them. :(
              Some quote on newyorkjets.com had Trevor Pryce saying he'd follow Ryan wherever he goes, along with Suggs saying he'd do anything Ryan asked him to. Doubt that means he'd play here for less money, unfortunately, but maybe we can get Pryce on the cheap as a veteran rotational guy that knows the system whenever he's a FA. It seems he's signed through 2010 so he'll probably have lost another step by then and he may want to retire given he's 33 now, but we'll see what happens. Nice to know how much they think of the guy though, and I still think if Favre retires we'll be able to finagle enough cap room to sign an average starter from the Ravens this offseason. Part of me wants Bart Scott, but I'd also like to draft a linebacker, but I also know you can't really take it for granted that one will be available at your pick. Anybody decent works though.

Comment

• I think i would rather pick up Landry and draft a linebacker, than sign Scott and draft a Safety. However, I think it's more likely that the opposite happens, and I'm not completely sold on which one of them i want more

Sig by Me

Comment

• Hey Jet fans, Just wanted to say congrats on the Rex Ryan hiring. He deserved a HC job and finally got one in New York. Yall should be excited for your defense next year beacuse with all the talent you guys have on that side of the ball, Rex will know how to use it. Hes gonna work to the players strenghts and get the best out of em. With guys like Pace, Rhodes, Revis, Jenkins, and Harris, hes gonna work wonders with em. Good luck in 2009 guys!

Comment

• love ryan, hes been my 2nd choice (1st was cowher) since the season ended...absolutely love it and am really happy that the organization found him and stuck with him and waited for him, and didnt try to jump the gun just to sign a coach...

as for cuts/guys we lose as FAs...i think barret has to go, along with elam (only reason to keep him is his versatility as he played LB for us at times too) or eric smith...i like ellis and would like to keep him but if we have to get rid of him i wouldnt be that upset, but sticking with the DE kenyon coleman should go just becasue of how mcuh hes making even though i dont dislike for us so if we could rework that contract i wouldnt mind him...i do like bryan thomas but think we might have to get rid of him just cuz he makes a lot, IF AND ONLY IF, we have a viable option to replace him at OLB like im hoping but not sure gholston will be (hopefully ryan helps him with that)...depending on how much barton wants i say keep him...let bubba franks go, and maybe get rid of baker just because of money and how much he talks badly about the team but i think a lot of that was mangini so i wouldnt mind keeping him

as for guys i hope ryan brings in...i really hope (and think theres a godo chance) we get 1 of the 3 LBs of scott, lewis, and suggs...i think scott is the most likely to come, and would only want suggs if we got rid of thomas and ryan didnt think gholston could pan out...of course i would LOVE ray lewis...i wouldnt mind landry but would rather bring in a roamer FS but dk if thtas possible (what do you guys htink about lowery there? he led the NCAA in INTs one year, maybe he could be that centerfielder, and him and rhodes can be versatile and play both safety positions)
                    JETS

Comment

• Ray Lewis is a FA so is Barton...Rex Ryan is our new coach. Can/do we sign Uncle Ray Ray hes only 33 and would provide much needed leadership and Ryan might want someone to lead his version of the 3-4...Also if they have a good relationship it might bring him in... SIgning him to a 3 year deal instead of Barton to a 4 year deal would make sense no, thoughts? I would love for Ryan to bring in some of his guys to help the defensive transition so we could draft offense or maybe a luxury like a 2nd NT aka RAJI so we can have Jenkins and Raji dominate and not lose pop on 3rd downs when Jenkins is out...could also use him for 4-3 fomrations to cause confusion...on offense i love percy harvin and some other skill guys like moreno who might be there when we pick...I just love the possibilities if we sign some former Ravens defensive players
                      QB, OG, OLB, WR, CB, MLB, RB, FS

Exactly Why The Jets were the Coolest Team in the NFL under Rex, but Bowles is the man-see Arians speech:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Comment

• Originally posted by hcbrad08 View Post
                        Ray Lewis is a FA so is Barton...Rex Ryan is our new coach. Can/do we sign Uncle Ray Ray hes only 33 and would provide much needed leadership and Ryan might want someone to lead his version of the 3-4...Also if they have a good relationship it might bring him in... SIgning him to a 3 year deal instead of Barton to a 4 year deal would make sense no, thoughts? I would love for Ryan to bring in some of his guys to help the defensive transition so we could draft offense or maybe a luxury like a 2nd NT aka RAJI so we can have Jenkins and Raji dominate and not lose pop on 3rd downs when Jenkins is out...could also use him for 4-3 fomrations to cause confusion...on offense i love percy harvin and some other skill guys like moreno who might be there when we pick...I just love the possibilities if we sign some former Ravens defensive players
                        I like your take with raji and Jenkins, but I would also be happy with Ron Brace in the later rounds.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• I think Ray's a long shot purely due to our crappy cap situation and Bart Scott is probably the most likely ILB to sign. I'd definitely be cool with Raji but I think with lots of teams converting to the 3-4 and his stock seemingly on the rise he's gone by 17. Brace I'd like as well and probably prefer as far as value goes but it's starting to seem like he won't even be there in the third for us.

Comment

• So I was just reading over Scott's mock and I read in the Chargers blurb that Igor Olshansky is supposed to leave via free agency. He might not be amazing, but I can't help but think he'd be an upgrade here. Looking at his salary, he seems like someone we could actually sign. Anyone know more about him or the situation?
                            Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Well I just got done watching the press conference and Rex seems like the coolest guy ever. I can see why he's such a player's coach. For those that didn't see, he emphasized this being a team, and that the offense would know the defense, the defense the offense, and special teams knowing both and they'd all be better for it. He talked about a K.I.L.L. philosophy (Keep It Likable and Learnable). He wanted this to be a hard-hitting, physical team. He also said he'd let his coaches coach, and it'd be a joint effort more so than him micromanaging everything. They'd have an all-weather offense, obviously being proficient at passing and rushing. He said the defense meets as a unit, rather than having all the separate positions doing their own thing, so as to create chemistry and make players more accountable. He highlighted Jenkins, Rhodes, and Revis and noted how he'd be excited to coach Rhodes as he could be something like Ed Reed, who he said plays within their system and isn't the freelancer some assume him to be. He brought up Gholston and he's excited to coach him. He made parallels to Suggs and how he was thought of as a bust before the season started, but he coached him up and all that and believes he can do the same for Gholston as long as he humbles himself to him. He said anyone would want Favre and that he'll talk to him somewhere down the line (They also asked him when they thought that'd happen, and Rex said that he's going to talk to every player, so probably once he gets down to the F's). He also talked up B-Schott and how he was in a similar situation last year so he'd like to have him on, though it kind of sounded like a bit of him would like to see him go so that he can bring in Hue.

So essentially, he wants this team built around physicality and teamwork. Oh and he believes we'll be seeing Obama in the next couple of years.
                              Last edited by thetedginnshow; 01-21-2009, 10:25 AM.
                              Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Yeah he really did seem awesome from the quotes I saw and what you wrote up there. I think I'm going to watch the presser next time I get a chance. Love the K.I.L.L. philosophy and the desire to be a physical team. Really like the "all-weather" offense, I'm excited to get back to running the football which should be very successful for us. I also think the parallel between Gholston and Suggs is really interesting because that's the guy on the Ravens D I thought Gholston compared the most to. I won't get out of hand here because it's really premature but if he can get something out of Gholston we could have a really special linebacking core. I do get that feeling about Schott and won't be too disappointed if he leaves or stays, although at this point I almost want him gone. I'm not so sure what to take out of him saying he wants Favre back because I just don't know what else he would say in that situation. Obviously he's a guy that speaks his mind but it's pretty tough to come into your first presser with the team and say you don't want the guy back. I think he's gone anyway so not sure it matters much.

Looks like Pettine is going to be our defensive coordinator (Rotoworld has it up) which is cool, Rex seems to have a ton of respect for him and he was the OLB coach in Baltimore which also could be helpful for Gholston. I really like the group coaching philosophy also. If he works well with the offensive coordinator whoever that may be, Pettine, Callahan (who it seems like is staying, which I love), Westhoff (I think Westhoff and Callahan are great guys to lean on for a rookie head coach), and the rest of the coaches it seems like we could have a really great staff that works well together which will really benefit the players and help the product we put out on the field. I'm excited.

Also, Jim Leonhard is a FA at safety and has said he'd love to come follow Rex to NY and he really is grateful for the opportunity he gave him. Provided our front 7 is legit he could do fine next to Kerry as he had a pretty nice season next to Reed. Here's a couple quotes and the article:

And don't discount the Ryan factor. The departed coordinator likes Leonhard a lot. He wanted the Ravens to sign him out of Wisconsin as an undrafted free agent in 2005. He might get that chance now as coach of the Jets.

Leonhard also appreciates the fact that Ryan knew how best to use him.

"I would love to play for Rex again," Leonhard said. "Obviously, I have a lot of respect for him, as well as the coaches that are still here. If that opportunity comes up, who knows what will happen? I'm going to enjoy this season for a little bit, then let everything work itself out the next couple months."

And if Leonhard hits the free-agent market, how long would it take before he calls Ryan?

"Probably not long," he said.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...,1981132.story

Also just for kicks I looked at our schedule for next year. We play 6 games vs. playoff teams (Carolina, Tennessee, Atlanta, Indy, Miami, Miami), 5 games vs. non-playoff teams with records over .500 (New Orleans, Houston, TB, NE, NE), and 5 games vs. teams worse than .500 but none of those will be cupcakes. The Raiders who always play us tough and have a pretty young team, the Bengals who are an improving young team that played us tough without Palmer and I think are set to make a big step next season, the Jags who have been very tough in years past and could turn it around pretty easily, and the Bills twice who were 7-9 and always play us tough in the division. Should be a fun year.

EDIT: Just so I don't basically double post I just watched the presser and had a couple other thoughts. One, I thought it was interesting he solidified that Rhodes is going to be a FS, at least he specifically referred to him as a free safety so we'll be looking for a SS in the draft or FA. Also really liked that he called Revis the best corner in the league, not sure he's there yet but love the confidence he has in his players. Finally, thought the challenge to the fans to be loud was pretty cool. I've been to Baltimore and it was considerably louder than most Jets games I've been to so if we can get that kind of an atmosphere at games it'll be awesome. Just seems like an awesome guy, great hire, he basically said all the right things and it wasn't to be politically correct he genuinely meant them. I'm really excited to see what this team can do under Rex and the staff he assembles.
                                Last edited by derza222; 01-21-2009, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information