Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeah forgot about snead...looked it up and some other guys i found were...

jake locker, kevin riley, jimmy clausen, dan lefevour, ryan mallet, juice williams, and riley skinner (most of those guys wil be eligible underclassmen next year)

wouldnt really be interested in any of those guys unless skinner really proves himself this year, hes alwasy been succesful at winning but not really statistically, and hes a little small (only 6'1 i think), but ive always liked the way he plays...i think itd just be mccoy or bradford or maybe snead that i would really ilke
    JETS

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
      I could dig that. I mean realistically we're looking at drafting a safety or an inside linebacker in all likelihood, maybe Tyson Jackson in that range also or a corner. But if we fill a need or two in FA that could make sense. Not really sure I like this year too much and having two firsts could make sense. Keep in mind we'll usually trade to see where the value is (the year where we basically gave up the house to get Revis and Harris because value really dropped off after 45 or so) so if we think this year is weak in positions we need but next year could be strong where we need it's not THAT unrealistic.

As for QB's next year Jevan Snead will probably be up there as well.
      Well, I just say it's unrealistic because people wish for that a decent amount and that almost rarely happens. Plus, I really doubt that they'd do that in Rex's first year. I'd be more inclined to believe that he'll find someone, latch onto them, and attempt to make them great. If we do go defense though I'm positive we'll find someone good, considering that I believe the only defensive first rounders they've selected since he got there (and he probably didn't have a TON of say, but at least being around that sort of system should have given him a pretty good idea) were Suggs, Reed, and Ngata, which all turned out pretty decently.

I wasn't really thinking about a QB with the pick for next year though. I don't like most of those guys I don't believe with the exception of Skinner and maybe LeFevour. I guess it won't matter since we'll be getting Troy Smith...

EDIT: Forgot Zac Robinson. I happen to like him as well, but I don't believe any of these guys will end up being first rounders.
      Last edited by thetedginnshow; 01-27-2009, 03:15 AM.
      Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
        Well, I just say it's unrealistic because people wish for that a decent amount and that almost rarely happens. Plus, I really doubt that they'd do that in Rex's first year. I'd be more inclined to believe that he'll find someone, latch onto them, and attempt to make them great. If we do go defense though I'm positive we'll find someone good, considering that I believe the only defensive first rounders they've selected since he got there (and he probably didn't have a TON of say, but at least being around that sort of system should have given him a pretty good idea) were Suggs, Reed, and Ngata, which all turned out pretty decently.

I wasn't really thinking about a QB with the pick for next year though. I don't like most of those guys I don't believe with the exception of Skinner and maybe LeFevour. I guess it won't matter since we'll be getting Troy Smith...

EDIT: Forgot Zac Robinson. I happen to like him as well, but I don't believe any of these guys will end up being first rounders.
        That would definitly make me happy

Comment

• A QB that can move around a bit would be nice. There was plenty of time were Frave could have easily picked up the first down by running but instead threw an incomplete pass.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheUbabiii View Post
            A QB that can move around a bit would be nice. There was plenty of time were Frave could have easily picked up the first down by running but instead threw an incomplete pass.
            Lol I cant tell you how many times I was screaming at my tv RUN RUN!!!!. HAHA he could have the whole field in front of him but throw it instead. And yes most of the time it was an incomplete pass which didnt make me happy seeing the punt team coming out on the field when he could have ran 5 or 6 yards 2 keep the drive going.

Comment

• frogstomp sez:

A) Rex Ryan is the bees knees, a la 1950.

B) We're going to go defense early. I would prefer D-line, but if nothing fits than a DB would be acceptable.

C) I miss Chad's sexy body.

D) Where's Alexdown? Post more often, damnit. You always have insightful things to say.

That is all.

Comment

• Originally posted by GET LOOSE View Post
                Lol I cant tell you how many times I was screaming at my tv RUN RUN!!!!. HAHA he could have the whole field in front of him but throw it instead. And yes most of the time it was an incomplete pass which didnt make me happy seeing the punt team coming out on the field when he could have ran 5 or 6 yards 2 keep the drive going.
                haha yeah definitely agree, pissed me off so much...i loved in the bills game when they ran a designed bootleg type thing on the opening drive and favre picked up a 30+ yard gain to put us in the redzone...funny though, almost any QB couldve scored with that space haha
                JETS

Comment

• You guys need a playmaker on offense. Thats the biggest missing ingredient on this team.

Forget pass rusher. For most of the season you were top 3 in the league in sacks, coming from a BP 3-4 scheme that doesn't attack as much as Ryan's scheme, and with no production from Gholston. Pass rush is fine.

Forget ILB. You already have Harris and it makes no sense to put such a high investment in 2 ILBs in a 3-4 defense. The later rounds, maybe even round 2 can be spent on a ILB

Your secondary is great, I could see a 2nd CB as a need however. Your dline is solid but not spectacular, I could see a dlinemen.

But i think the biggest missing piece is a WR who can impact the defensive gameplan. You don't have that. You need that playmaker.

Comment

• Originally posted by nyjets5125 View Post
                    haha yeah definitely agree, pissed me off so much...i loved in the bills game when they ran a designed bootleg type thing on the opening drive and favre picked up a 30+ yard gain to put us in the redzone...funny though, almost any QB couldve scored with that space haha
                    Haha on that play every Jets fan was wishing there grampa could have been in on that play instead of Farve. He looked so slow on that play but I was very excited for him that had 2 have pumped him and the team up.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                      You guys need a playmaker on offense. Thats the biggest missing ingredient on this team.

Forget pass rusher. For most of the season you were top 3 in the league in sacks, coming from a BP 3-4 scheme that doesn't attack as much as Ryan's scheme, and with no production from Gholston. Pass rush is fine.

Forget ILB. You already have Harris and it makes no sense to put such a high investment in 2 ILBs in a 3-4 defense. The later rounds, maybe even round 2 can be spent on a ILB

Your secondary is great, I could see a 2nd CB as a need however. Your dline is solid but not spectacular, I could see a dlinemen.

But i think the biggest missing piece is a WR who can impact the defensive gameplan. You don't have that. You need that playmaker.
                      1st we do have a playmaker on offense and thats Leon "lightning" Washington. Then about the ILB if Rey is there when were picking we better pick him up beacuse our D is missing that leader (wished we could have kept Vilma). About the secondary its not great. Revis and Rhodes is perfect but Elam and Lowrey just wont do we need 2 get either a S or CB in the 1st or 2nd round and about the plamaking WR thats were I agree. But atleast Cotch is a Beast we just need someone 2 replace Coles

Comment

• Originally posted by GET LOOSE View Post
                        1st we do have a playmaker on offense and thats Leon "lightning" Washington. Then about the ILB if Rey is there when were picking we better pick him up beacuse our D is missing that leader (wished we could have kept Vilma). About the secondary its not great. Revis and Rhodes is perfect but Elam and Lowrey just wont do we need 2 get either a S or CB in the 1st or 2nd round and about the plamaking WR thats were I agree. But atleast Cotch is a Beast we just need someone 2 replace Coles
                        Leon Washington doesn't roll coverages. You need a playmaking WR.

Leaders will emerge on its own. Mangini's personality didn't really allow for any leaders to stand out publicly. That will change under Ryan.

And Ryan's attacking scheme will help that secondary. I do think you need a 2nd CB though. Lowery is a good slot CB, but you need another edge corner.

Comment

• I'm comfortable with having Lowery as our #2. He played quite well for the first half of the year, and I think he'll pick up his play even more next year. However, I am not comfortable with Elam at safety. My choices are Anything on D-line, WR, Safety, ILB, corner. But, it all depends what's available.

Comment

Leaders will emerge on its own. Mangini's personality didn't really allow for any leaders to stand out publicly. That will change under Ryan.

And Ryan's attacking scheme will help that secondary. I do think you need a 2nd CB though. Lowery is a good slot CB, but you need another edge corner.
                            I agree but I still think if Rey is there we should take him he can be our Ray Lewis. But unlike the past few drafts I dont have a real prefrence I have a bunch of guys I dont mind taking so the Jets cant really make me 2 mad this draft (atleast I hope).

Comment

You guys need a playmaker on offense. Thats the biggest missing ingredient on this team.

I agree that our pass rush was great in the first half of the season and that the deficiencies in our secondary could easily be masked with pressuring the QB more often. The ravens secondary, minus Ed Reed, was really nothing to write home about and yet they never performed as poorly as ours. Atleast from the games that I've seen.

I truly believe our major need is a play making WR ala Maclin or DHB. Someone who's speed and deep threat ability forces defensives to roll coverages to compensate for said speed. Someone who can consistently get down field separation and open up the underneath routes for cotch, coles and keller.

If there isn't a player like that available with our 1st rounder I wouldn't rule out Tyson Jackson, he is a freak in his own right. 6'5 290+ and runs a sub 5 second 40. Being a big LSU fan i've seen just about every single snap he's taken and I can say that he isn't an elite pass rusher, but can get to the QB and has learned to play the run extremely well the last couple years. He would make a perfect 34 DE.

If we do go WR in the first round I am also a big proponent with Ziggy Hood, if he lasts to the middle of the second.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

I do think a playmaking WR would be absolutely huge for the team. Safety is arguably a bigger need than CB IMO because a good enough safety can help cover for Lowery to an extent, and regardless of who we have at corner our safeties next to Rhodes are crap. Possible we sign Leonhard or Landry from the Ravens to cover that. Inside linebacker you covered on the previous page, to an extent I agree but coverage over the middle was awful and that's the one main weak starting position in the front 7 with Barton leaving. Defensive line I would like to address, though next year's 3-4 end class looks studly, tons of high-level prospects there, you never really do know though. Also to add to BroadwayJoe's comment on Hood, I think Jarron Gilbert is incredibly intriguing also.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information