This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
    I do think a playmaking WR would be absolutely huge for the team. Safety is arguably a bigger need than CB IMO because a good enough safety can help cover for Lowery to an extent, and regardless of who we have at corner our safeties next to Rhodes are crap. Possible we sign Leonhard or Landry from the Ravens to cover that. Inside linebacker you covered on the previous page, to an extent I agree but coverage over the middle was awful and that's the one main weak starting position in the front 7 with Barton leaving. Defensive line I would like to address, though next year's 3-4 end class looks studly, tons of high-level prospects there, you never really do know though. Also to add to BroadwayJoe's comment on Hood, I think Jarron Gilbert is incredibly intriguing also.
    I haven't seen him play, but his jumping out of the pool is absolutely mesmerizing.

To piggyback off of BBD's opinion on ILB, I will say that I don't think Rey Rey offers much more in the 1st than a jasper brinkley or so offers in the later rounds. But I do think that Maclin/DHB etc. offer much more than the lower tiers of receivers.

It will surely be interesting to see how Rex and Tanny assess our teams situation and the direction we need to go in.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
      I haven't seen him play, but his jumping out of the pool is absolutely mesmerizing.

To piggyback off of BBD's opinion on ILB, I will say that I don't think Rey Rey offers much more in the 1st than a jasper brinkley or so offers in the later rounds. But I do think that Maclin/DHB etc. offer much more than the lower tiers of receivers.

It will surely be interesting to see how Rex and Tanny assess our teams situation and the direction we need to go in.
      That's a very interesting way of looking at things. Maualuga does have a little more explosion and big hitting ability but your point is absolutely well taken. I love his intensity but not sure about the fit next to Harris, if we want a thumper we could find one in the mid-rounds but odds are the attempt is going to be to find a guy that can take on blocks and cover some. Easier said than done I suppose, but Maualuga doesn't fit that bill so much and the difference between him and the 3rd/4th round ILB's isn't as big as a high level WR and a 3rd/4th round WR. Odds are you can find a solid starter inside in that area but a WR is something that you're going to have to get lucky to find a starter in the mid-rounds. One thing to remember though is we'd really have to be targeting a few guys in that range because it's really hard to target one guy around there.

I did think BBD used to be against drafting WR's in the first round because they take time to develop and you can hit in the mid-rounds given a lot of it is scheme and line/QB play so I'd be interested to hear his take there.

Comment

That's a very interesting way of looking at things. Maualuga does have a little more explosion and big hitting ability but your point is absolutely well taken. I love his intensity but not sure about the fit next to Harris, if we want a thumper we could find one in the mid-rounds but odds are the attempt is going to be to find a guy that can take on blocks and cover some. Easier said than done I suppose, but Maualuga doesn't fit that bill so much and the difference between him and the 3rd/4th round ILB's isn't as big as a high level WR and a 3rd/4th round WR. Odds are you can find a solid starter inside in that area but a WR is something that you're going to have to get lucky to find a starter in the mid-rounds. One thing to remember though is we'd really have to be targeting a few guys in that range because it's really hard to target one guy around there.

I did think BBD used to be against drafting WR's in the first round because they take time to develop and you can hit in the mid-rounds given a lot of it is scheme and line/QB play so I'd be interested to hear his take there.

I don't wanna speak for him, but I'll venture a guess anyways. We have been able to do well enough with the mid round rounds picks in Coles and Cotch, 3rd round and 4th respectively, however scheme and line/QB play can only do so much. That combination can't give our middle round receivers the speed to stretch the field, force coverage changes and get consistent separation downfield. We've done very well with our middle level picks, but I think it comes a point when you have to have that one guy with top-notch measurables to bring it all together.

It's actually pretty impressive when you think of all the receivers drafted in the first rounds by other teams; the only one i can remember the jets drafting in the first round was keyshawn.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• That is true about ILBs though. Generally they just aren't drafted very high. It's funny because when we drafted Farrior he was actually playing OLB. Of course, I guess looking at him and Willis and Mayo, that kind of makes you think it's worth it investing an early pick on one, though there are guys like Bradie James and Bruschi.

I would say that our biggest needs are WR and QB (even if we have faith in Ratliff and Clemens, on paper that doesn't particularly look too good) with Safety there as well. Of course, Safety would have been a much more apparent issue had Elam not had a half decent year. But really, I can't see them not going defense at some point on the first day.
          Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
            That is true about ILBs though. Generally they just aren't drafted very high. It's funny because when we drafted Farrior he was actually playing OLB. Of course, I guess looking at him and Willis and Mayo, that kind of makes you think it's worth it investing an early pick on one, though there are guys like Bradie James and Bruschi.

I would say that our biggest needs are WR and QB (even if we have faith in Ratliff and Clemens, on paper that doesn't particularly look too good) with Safety there as well. Of course, Safety would have been a much more apparent issue had Elam not had a half decent year. But really, I can't see them not going defense at some point on the first day.
            There are guys like Bradie James and Bruschi, but thats true for every position in the NFL. Unless you're talking about special teams, the existance of mid round gems shouldn't preclude a team from drafting a position early if the need and value is there.

I would say that the Jets biggest needs are ILB and safety followed closely by receiver and quarterback, but there are very few ILB's or safeties worth the pick and I think a receiver such as Maclin or DHB provides a better value than than anyone at ILB or S other than Maualuga, although I see Laurinitis as a viable option as well.

Comment

This is ture. I do like Jasper Brinkley and he would be a nice pickup later on if we go with a few of our other needs in rounds 1 and 2.

Comment

It's actually pretty impressive when you think of all the receivers drafted in the first rounds by other teams; the only one i can remember the jets drafting in the first round was keyshawn.
                IIRC, the last time the Jets had a pro bowl WR, it was Keyshawn. Coincidence? ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                  There are guys like Bradie James and Bruschi, but thats true for every position in the NFL. Unless you're talking about special teams, the existance of mid round gems shouldn't preclude a team from drafting a position early if the need and value is there.

I would say that the Jets biggest needs are ILB and safety followed closely by receiver and quarterback, but there are very few ILB's or safeties worth the pick and I think a receiver such as Maclin or DHB provides a better value than than anyone at ILB or S other than Maualuga, although I see Laurinitis as a viable option as well.
                  Well, I didn't want to completely go into it, but there's also guys like Andra Davis and Donnie Edwards and Larry Foote that also weren't first rounders. And, of course, David Harris wasn't either. I'm just saying that generally ILB in a 3-4 isn't the most important position and considering that we already have one very good ILB, I'm not necessarily sure they'll go that route early. Plus, as far as ILBs go, it's easier to find a gem in the later rounds because of the skill set needed to play that position as well as the deficiencies that can be covered up on the inside in the 3-4. But don't get me wrong, I'd be just fine if they went that route. I just wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.
                  Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

I tend to see things this way as far as our needs go. We at least have semi-viable starters at every position than ILB and safety right now, nothing at either of those. Still don't like the value at those positions early though. Laurinaitis I really am not sold on as a fit in the 3-4, but if we make that call perhaps they know more than I do. He certainly would be able to help us in coverage.

Since we generally like WR's, who would you guys want at 17 in order, excluding Crabtree because he's not going to be there barring something shocking.

Comment

Since we generally like WR's, who would you guys want at 17 in order, excluding Crabtree because he's not going to be there barring something shocking.
                      I'd like the Jets to get Maclin or DHB as I see those two as the guys who could provide the Jets the #1 WR option who brings a home run threat that they currently lack (and aren't midgets).

Comment

I'd like the Jets to get Maclin or DHB as I see those two as the guys who could provide the Jets the #1 WR option who brings a home run threat that they currently lack (and aren't midgets).
                        I'm not completely opposed to DHB and to be honest I'd end up loving the pick if we actually made it. I also end up liking most picks though so that doesn't mean much. With DHB I see the "what does he bring that Clowney doesn't?" argument. Yeah he's got height but you don't see him using his height/leaping ability that often to go up and make a play for his quarterbacks. Most of his success comes from burning guys and getting open downfield, which we could get from Clowney. Yeah the size/speed/not Troy Williamson hands combo is nice and maybe he comes into camp and explodes. I'm just not sold. And he's awful after the catch.

Maclin I love though. I think he brings better route running, more willingness to go over the middle, more consistent hands, and a lot more shiftiness/ability to make a play after the catch. A lot more. I agree with TTGS I don't think he quite measures in at the size he's listed at, but I also think he's bigger than DeSean Jackson or Donnie Avery and they both had some nice success this year. If he's not on the board at 17 I think I'm going to end up having serious reservations about our pick one way or another, unless somebody incredible falls to us or we move up/down to grab our guy.

Comment

[/B]

Dont forget about Santana Moss, and going back a few years Rob Moore, Al Toon and Johnny 'Lam' Jones...
                          J. MESS

Comment

• So I was looking at the coaching selections and I noticed that famed Doug Plank guy is an Ohio State alum. That's pretty funny.

Comment

• as for WR...maclins the only guy that at this point i really realy want...

i do agree that ILB in a 3-4 isnt as hard to find as other positions, but if we cant fill other needs with better value at 17, i really owulndt be against an ILB if it is laurinitis or mauluga (who is high on my list regardless)
                              JETS

Comment

• Chris Mortensen is saying that Favre is angling for the Jets to trade him to Minnesota, however if i recall correctly there was an addendum to the trade last year saying if the Jets traded Favre into the NFC North they would owe the Packers multiple # 1 picks..
                                J. MESS

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information