This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GET LOOSE View Post
    I agree that Boldin and Cotch are similar WRs but Boldin at 1 and Cotch at 2 would still be a very good reciving core either way. Its not going to happen anyway hes worth to much. What other WRs are FAs this year?
    Boldin's not a FA anyway he'd need to be acquired via trade. Only legit free agent WR is Housh and he's probably going to get tagged, even if he isn't he'd cost too much and again doesn't really compliment our current WR core very well. We need a guy that can do something downfield preferably, I'd just rather not add a better or worse version of the guys we already have. The inability to separate killed us late in the year.

FWIW color me skeptical on Clemens, but no more skeptical than I am about everyone else. I'd rather not waste a pick or money on somebody I'm not more confident in than anybody on our roster...and nobody available makes me feel comfortable they're a franchise QB. Clemens showed some things, and maybe Ratliff is alright as well, let them compete give them a vote of confidence and let them play with a much better supporting cast than we had in '07. Nobody we'll be able to acquire puts us in a better position this year IMO.

Comment

• Probably WR and CB would be the positions I'd be least pleased with us grabbing someone from FA considering all the potential in the draft.
      Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
        Probably WR and CB would be the positions I'd be least pleased with us grabbing someone from FA considering all the potential in the draft.
        I can agree with that. A solid #2 like Jabari Greer I'd be cool with I guess but at this point we're kind of rebuilding anyway I'd rather not add many long-term contracts. I think short-term fix that keeps us under the cap is the way to go this offseason, see what we have at QB and then go from there next year. Hopefully we'll have more space as well.

Draft-wise defensive end I'd like to address in 2010 but obviously that's hard to project, I'd be a little disappointed with Jackson early. Obviously center is a head scratcher, guard or right tackle I could see going relatively early but not in the first. Tight end I wouldn't mind if we slice Baker because two TE sets are good if you've got some talent there but if we take like Pettigrew in the first I'll yell (or cry) with everyone else no matter how many interesting matchups we could create. I don't really want a QB either but I guess I'd understand. Outside linebacker would probably be the biggest head scratcher outside of center and left tackle. Those are the three I could absolutely find no way to like, though others would absolutely frustrate me.

Comment

• Yea I guess the good thing about this draft is I dont think I will get disapointed or upset at the picks. We could go with almost any position and I would feel it was a good choice. Just hope we pick the right guy for that position.

Comment

• Originally posted by GET LOOSE View Post
            Yea I guess the good thing about this draft is I dont think I will get disapointed or upset at the picks. We could go with almost any position and I would feel it was a good choice. Just hope we pick the right guy for that position.
            In the first round, I would be disappointed with Tyson Jackson, a cornerback, William Moore or a receiver who lacks the ability to be a downfield threat.

I would be upset with Knowshon Moreno, Josh Freeman or Percy Harvin. Or just a general reach.
            Last edited by Crickett; 02-03-2009, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• Now, I have a question that I've been mulling around in my head since last night. The Favre to Minnesota trade; I know we would owe them three 1st rounders, but that's in a straight up trade. This notion leads me to my question...

What's stopping a potential three-team trade?? If Minnesota is that interested in Favre, why couldn't we trade Favre to a subsidiary team who will give us there 3rd rounder which turns conditional. This same team will then trade Favre to GB who will in turn compensate them for whatever picks they lose to us.

Now, this could very well be answered or covered in the trade agreement to Favre, however I have never seen this question covered. Just a little food for thought, I wondered if anyone knew the answer...

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Of all the people that mildly have a chance to be a first rounder, I'd be disappointed in Matt Stafford, Josh Freeman, Percy Harvin, Derrick Williams, Louis Murphy, Kenny Britt, Brandon Pettigrew, Brian Orakpo, Tyson Jackson, Aaron Maybin, Michael Johnson, Peria Jerry, and Clay Matthews. That being said, I feel as though the only person out of this bunch that they'd be interested in out of this group would be Orakpo, but they obviously wouldn't take him.
                Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
                  Now, I have a question that I've been mulling around in my head since last night. The Favre to Minnesota trade; I know we would owe them three 1st rounders, but that's in a straight up trade. This notion leads me to my question...

What's stopping a potential three-team trade?? If Minnesota is that interested in Favre, why couldn't we trade Favre to a subsidiary team who will give us there 3rd rounder which turns conditional. This same team will then trade Favre to GB who will in turn compensate them for whatever picks they lose to us.

Now, this could very well be answered or covered in the trade agreement to Favre, however I have never seen this question covered. Just a little food for thought, I wondered if anyone knew the answer...
                  I do not know, but I would ask, why play with fire like that?

Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                  Of all the people that mildly have a chance to be a first rounder, I'd be disappointed in Matt Stafford, Josh Freeman, Percy Harvin, Derrick Williams, Louis Murphy, Kenny Britt, Brandon Pettigrew, Brian Orakpo, Tyson Jackson, Aaron Maybin, Michael Johnson, Peria Jerry, and Clay Matthews. That being said, I feel as though the only person out of this bunch that they'd be interested in out of this group would be Orakpo, but they obviously wouldn't take him.
                  Why Stafford or Britt?

Comment

• Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
                    Now, I have a question that I've been mulling around in my head since last night. The Favre to Minnesota trade; I know we would owe them three 1st rounders, but that's in a straight up trade. This notion leads me to my question...

I am 99% sure that if Green Bay put the clause in, they would make sure to cover their asses, and not let something as obvious as a three team trade screw them. I mean, unless TT just had a huge brainfart when drawing up the trade agreement, which I doubt happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                      Why Stafford or Britt?
                      Good question, I wouldn't be too disappointed with either. Pettigrew would obviously be a disappointment but at the same time would intrigue me. Wouldn't change the disappointment though. Not sure Williams or Murphy has a shot to get into the first but either would be an absolutely awful pick. You can add Everette Brown, Brian Cushing (unless he proves he can play ILB in the 3-4, and I still think he's a little stiff, injury prone and prone to bust, makes me think Bobby Carpenter), Unger/Mack, any left tackle, even a guard for that matter, William Moore (like the position, not the player), James Laurinaitis to an extent (kind of like the fit but also don't, and not a huge fan of the player), and really any running back to an extent also.

Comment

Of all the people that mildly have a chance to be a first rounder, I'd be disappointed in Matt Stafford, Josh Freeman, Percy Harvin, Derrick Williams, Louis Murphy, Kenny Britt, Brandon Pettigrew, Brian Orakpo, Tyson Jackson, Aaron Maybin, Michael Johnson, Peria Jerry, and Clay Matthews. That being said, I feel as though the only person out of this bunch that they'd be interested in out of this group would be Orakpo, but they obviously wouldn't take him.
                        I'd love if Stafford somehow fell to us and we took him. A chance for the franchise QB at pick 17? It would be great. I don't want Sanchez, but Stafford would be great.

Regardless, we've drafted quite well lately (other than *sigh*, Gholston, who I shouldn't be so hard on after one year...), so I'm fairly confident in the team. Revis, Harris, Keller, Lowery... 2 pro bowl quality players, a solid player who could become pro bowl in Keller, and Lowery who could become a solid starter.... that's 2 good drafts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whomecouldntbe View Post
                          I'd love if Stafford somehow fell to us and we took him. A chance for the franchise QB at pick 17? It would be great. I don't want Sanchez, but Stafford would be great.

Regardless, we've drafted quite well lately (other than *sigh*, Gholston, who I shouldn't be so hard on after one year...), so I'm fairly confident in the team. Revis, Harris, Keller, Lowery... 2 pro bowl quality players, a solid player who could become pro bowl in Keller, and Lowery who could become a solid starter.... that's 2 good drafts.
                          Yup, and our original Tannenbaum draft in '06 with Brick, Mangold, and Leon had some nice picks as well. That's two Pro Bowlers and another solid guy. Granted some other picks really sucked (Anthony Schlegel? Why?) but as a whole not too bad.

We really have hit on fourth rounders over the years too with Rhodes, Leon, Cotchery, Lowery...

Comment

I agree with every person on that list except Stafford. If he somehow feel to us at 17 or we traded up a little to get him I would be boucing off the walls. Hes the real deal and I would love to get him. As for Britt I think I would be dissapointed as well and would rather Nicks in that case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                              Why Stafford or Britt?
                              I feel that QB is 75% mental, and I don't think he has it at all. If you just looked at the skill set, he might be one of the top three most physically gifted QBs of this decade. But really, he just doesn't perform up to his abilities IMO. There's a chance he can succeed somewhere, but I don't think he'd take too kindly to the New York media.

With Britt, well after everyone started hyping him up here I've read countless reports and stories on him and in addition to that "character concern" (the marijuana thing, which really, I don't see as a big deal), he's a guy that takes off plays and doesn't work all the time in practice. And of course there's the "prima donna" talk. Rutgers fans might say this is all completely unfounded, but I'm of the belief that where there's smoke, there's fire, so this had to stem from somewhere. On top of that, I was looking at his games and he just doesn't seem to be very explosive off the line or in his breaks. He has decent deep speed, but not a whole lot to brag about. That coupled with the fact that he doesn't have the most sure of hands sounds like what I could get with Jaison Williams four rounds later (and I'd venture to say Jaison is faster and stronger than Britt). And part of me is in love with Rex and believes that he can mold just about anyone with talent into something great, but I don't know, I'd like for them to make the job easy on him.

And I should clarify that I don't have William Moore on there because I don't think he has any shot of being a first rounder. Looking back on it, D-Will probably doesn't either...

EDIT: I should say though that I think Britt could potentially be good. I just don't particularly want him and don't expect the Jets to take him.
                              Last edited by thetedginnshow; 02-03-2009, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• I just think I've watched Britt as much as any non-Rutgers fan on here and read enough about him from a newspaper standpoint being from New Jersey, and I don't see where any of it comes from. From a talent perspective if you're going to compare him from a guy like Williams you have to take into account that Williams has atrocious hands and Britt's hands are actually very good. Teel has hung him out to dry and doesn't have any touch but Britt catches what he should and then some. I just don't really see a lot of the issues. Not sure I like him at 17 but to say I wouldn't want him at all...the character concern seems to come from a lot of overanalysis and on the field he does a lot of the little things I haven't really seen him take plays off at all and while his speed is a question you're not going to get anybody at 17 with elite size, speed, and production anyway. I'd take elite size, solid speed, and very good production there.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information