Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I was watching all the Favre vids on ESPN, and it pleased me to hear that... uh... Josh something... say the Jets have needs at WR and in the secondary, so if he says it, I'm assuming it's common knowledge. For a while there they had me worrying with all the random needs Jets fans were bringing up elsewhere and some of the crazy mock drafts I see around. So hopefully that's where we're looking.

Of course, McShay also did bring up that he thinks we should address QB in the first, and if we take Freeman at any point (and I do see the similarities to Flacco, so that worries me) I will kill every person I see with a Freeman jersey. But with the pressures of the media and all that, I assume we're either going to trade for a QB or draft one early, so hopefully it's the former (unless it's Cassel).

And Jim Leonhard small. I really don't think it's going to happen just because everyone and their grandma has been calling for that, not to mention I think he's fairly overrated. If we got Scott though I guess I wouldn't mind. It seems a little crazy to me to pay big money for an ILB than many view as a product of Ray Ray that will be 29 next season, though.
    Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Man if we take Freeman I cant even explain how mad I would be. Tell me what Freeman has that Ratliff and Ainge do not have. And Clemens has just as strong of an arm as Freeman as well. All three young QBs on our team have good ability and deserve a chance to fight for this spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by GET LOOSE View Post
        Man if we take Freeman I cant even explain how mad I would be. Tell me what Freeman has that Ratliff and Ainge do not have. And Clemens has just as strong of an arm as Freeman as well. All three young QBs on our team have good ability and deserve a chance to fight for this spot.
        I am a big Brett Ratliff proponent and want him to start next year if he can prove it in training camp. With that said, let's keep in mind that Kellen Clemens could very easily take the job . In his time starting, he did show flashes of talent with absolutley nothing to work with around him. If it wasn't for a drop he would've led a comeback against the Ravens (I think). Clemens showed a strong arm and a nice amount of gunslinger swagger.

I have never been impressed with Freeman. He has been inconsistent with his accuracy. He has a strong arm. He can move a bit, but my no means is a mobile running qb. I think unless we are in a position for Sanchez somehow, we should not take a qb at all.

Just in general, I'm not sure we should keep signing veteran free agents. I know last year we did it with great results, but if we keep doing it we are gonna be cap screwed and old. I think if some special circumstance comes along then we can, but I am against acquiring more 29,30 year old guys that other teams don't want to overpay for their decline years.
        Last edited by josh07039; 02-11-2009, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• I think as a means to plug holes at this point signing a veteran would be fine, but nothing for a long-term contract. Can't blame the team if they don't want a rookie starting at a position like ILB or SS for example. If they sign a guy to a short deal, say two years max maybe three, and draft a guy in the mid-rounds to groom behind them I'd have no issue with it, mostly because it allows us a lot more flexibility in the early rounds.

I unfortunately suspect we may go with a QB in round 1. Maybe we at least trade down to do it. Seems like Woody likes to make the big moves though, and that can come back to burn us. At this point I think it's pretty clear that'd be a mistake based on this team.

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
            I think as a means to plug holes at this point signing a veteran would be fine, but nothing for a long-term contract. Can't blame the team if they don't want a rookie starting at a position like ILB or SS for example. If they sign a guy to a short deal, say two years max maybe three, and draft a guy in the mid-rounds to groom behind them I'd have no issue with it, mostly because it allows us a lot more flexibility in the early rounds.

I unfortunately suspect we may go with a QB in round 1. Maybe we at least trade down to do it. Seems like Woody likes to make the big moves though, and that can come back to burn us. At this point I think it's pretty clear that'd be a mistake based on this team.
            I suppose a short term contract would be fine. I just hate the idea of paying a guy for what he did with another team that he is no longer capable of doing.

Comment

• Lets say the Lions passed on Stafford wich is possible considering there bad draft habits, how would you guys feel about a trade up to #3 to get him. And what do you think we would have to give up?

Comment

Lets say the Lions passed on Stafford wich is possible considering there bad draft habits, how would you guys feel about a trade up to #3 to get him. And what do you think we would have to give up?
                Two firsts and probably a third or possibly a second.

Comment

Lets say the Lions passed on Stafford wich is possible considering there bad draft habits, how would you guys feel about a trade up to #3 to get him. And what do you think we would have to give up?
                  We'd have to give up wayyyyyyy too much to get up to #3 to draft him. Just going by the value chart it would cost, sticking in the first three rounds, our first 3 picks this year and next year's first and second. That's a lot to give up for an unproven guy who could very well bust. I think we're much, much better off just sticking where we are and seeing what falls to us. Only way I'd be alrightish with going quarterback is if Sanchez falls to 17 and I'd rather not go that route ideally, give the guys on the roster a shot in a run-oriented offense.

Comment

• Well, combine's coming up soon. Who are you guys most interested in seeing?
                    Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                      Well, combine's coming up soon. Who are you guys most interested in seeing?
                      Damn, there are a lot of players I'm looking forward to seeing, but the one guy who pops up into my is Percy Harvin. I was very sour on the guy, but as of lately I really want to see him run the route tree, catch from the jug machine and all that stuff.

I really do not like how he wasn't in a traditional receiver role in Florida and will need help learning to be a true receiver, but ya can't ignore his talent. I'm not advocating taking harvin, but I'm very interested to see him perform.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Outside of my Rutgers boys.
                        I want Vontae Davis to run really well so he's gone before we pick.
                        Cushing
                        Shonn Greene
                        Everette Brown
                        Connor Barwin
                        DHB
                        Harvin
                        P.J Hill
                        McCoy

I'm not interested in some of these guys for the Jets. Just interested.

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                          Well, combine's coming up soon. Who are you guys most interested in seeing?
                          Mostly the wide receivers (because I want the Jets to draft a receiver) such as Kenny Britt, DHB, Jeremy Maclin, Hakeem Nicks, and so on. I'm also interested in seeing how fast defensive backs such as Rashad Johnson, Patrick Chung, Vontae Davis, Alphonso Smith, Michael Hamlin and William Moore.

I don't want the Jets to draft a cornerback in the first, but they very well might, so hopefully they would at least draft a good one.

Comment

• You can add DJ Moore to the corner list for me. Chip Vaughn as a mid-round guy for safety is pretty intriguing. Curious to see how Brinkley runs. Maualuga won't be doing LB drills supposedly which kind of sucks. Not for us, but I'm curious to see how everything shakes out with the top tackles and centers and if the combine impacts anything there. Jared Cook's forty time at tight end should be interesting. Everette Brown is a guy I think could look pretty good, it's always fun to watch the ends who could move to LB also.

Comment

• Bennie, Rashad Jennings, PJ Hill
                              Nicks, Maclin,
                              Rey Rey, Worell Williams, Jasper Brinkley
                              Kevin Barnes, Domonique Johnson
                              Rashad Johnson, William Moore, Delmas, Chung

Comment

• I'm most interested in Hakeem Nicks and Patrick Chung of course, but I'd also like to see:

Rashad Jennings
                                Nate Davis
                                Josh Freeman
                                Mark Sanchez
                                Bernard Scott
                                Kenny Britt
                                Quan Cosby
                                Jaison Williams
                                Tyson Jackson
                                Jarron Gilbert
                                Lee Robinson
                                James Laurinaitis
                                D.J. Moore
                                Louis Delmas
                                Chip Vaughn

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information