This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
    We got 8 million back when Favre retired so its probably true. If it is true I hope we go after a couple big names free agents.
    If true, it is amazing how we went from having cap problems last week to being that far under a week later.
    J. MESS

Comment

• Realizing how far we could be under the cap, we should actually take into consideration Jason Brown. True, he'll come with a big price tag, but he's an absolute stud. That would be a huge coup and at this rate of cuts, we could actually get both him and Scott.
      Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• looks like Moore is a goner....

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...d_brandon.html

not sure I like it
        J. MESS

Comment

• Word is we're discussing with Coles's agent in Indy. So... we might be trading him?
          Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• is anyone else mad about the cutting of moore? sure, he was going to get a hefty paycheck this year, but he's insanely cheap after that. he's arguably our best run blocker (and we are supposedly going to be a run heavy offense this year which makes it even more puzzling) and is only 28. it'll be tough to replace him with someone as young, as good, and cheaper, so i don't understand why we would do this.

one thing's for sure, we are going to make another splash in free agency this year.

Comment

• Two things: Yes, I'm not happy about the release of Brandon Moore. I was in favor of possibly replacing him in 2007, but the Jets offensive line was worlds better in 2008 and I saw no reason to get rid of him. It makes offensive line another need for the New York Jets. The release of Baker and Bubba Franks' free agnecy makes TE a need, but with Keller on the roster, a mid to late round need.

The second thing is, the Jets are going to be 27 million under the cap??? Wtf? Weren't the Jets over the cap limit last week? I didn't have any hopes for a free agent splash this offseason, but now I'm hoping the Jets can pick up some of the free agent Ravens.

I guess the TE comment made it three things. Oh well.

Comment

• Originally posted by okay123 View Post
                is anyone else mad about the cutting of moore? sure, he was going to get a hefty paycheck this year, but he's insanely cheap after that. he's arguably our best run blocker (and we are supposedly going to be a run heavy offense this year which makes it even more puzzling) and is only 28. it'll be tough to replace him with someone as young, as good, and cheaper, so i don't understand why we would do this.

one thing's for sure, we are going to make another splash in free agency this year.
                Sure am...I believe if it ain't broke don't fix it. I thought his deal needed to be reworked, but I never thought they would cut him.
                J. MESS

Comment

• Not happy with the release of Moore either. We'd better have a damn good idea of what we're going to do and be sure it's going to work, because while in theory it's nice to say we can do a lot of stuff with that seven million having a solid offensive line is key for this team. Why make the change when that's a strength for this team, and what are we going to go after that we need 27 million in cap space as opposed to "just" 20?

Agree with tight end, hopefully we go after a primary blocker who won't drop stuff if it gets thrown that way.

With all this space I'm curious what ends up being addressed in the draft and what gets addressed in FA. Only thing we need that I don't see being addressed in FA is WR, everything else could probably go either way though I'd imagine ILB is going to get taken care of in FA.

Comment

• WHo ever you draft will be a bust.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burger View Post
                      WHo ever you draft will be a bust.
                      I'm fairly certain that you should probably go crawl back from wherever you came from trollboy, before causing any problems.

However, even though I probably shouldn't dignify this, I will. Disregarding the Kyle Bradys of our past and the draft videos you've seen online, in the last 3 years our drafting has been good to very good.

Dbrick - shoulda been pro bowl over jason peters this year
                      Leon Washington - pro bowl
                      Darelle Revis - pro bowl
                      Kerry Rhodes - all pro second team
                      David Harris - outstanding player
                      Nick Mangold - pro bowl
                      Dustin Keller - emerging pass catching TE

...just to name a few. FYI, it's only been 1 year for Gholston, so calling him a bust and the basis for your argument is just foolish.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• DHB would be a nice addition to the Jets.

Just stay away from Kenny Britt :)

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                          DHB would be a nice addition to the Jets.

Just stay away from Kenny Britt :)
                          I'll take either in a heartbeat. ;)

Looks like we're closing in on re-signing Tony Richardson, that'd be clutch.

Also, what do you guys see us addressing in FA vs. the draft? Basically everything but C, LT, OLB, and one safety spot is in play in some capacity if you take depth needs into account (NT for example). I'd imagine we sign a kicker, re-sign T-Rich, sign a ILB but could draft one for depth also, draft a WR, take a QB early or not at all or sign a vet cheap or not at all, and everything else is really up in the air. I'd lean draft on tight end but maybe not, probably draft an OL at the very least for depth but maybe sign one too, draft DL if we do anything at all there, draft a RB if at all, and I've got no clue what we're doing in the secondary or at corner. What are your thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                            I'll take either in a heartbeat. ;)

Looks like we're closing in on re-signing Tony Richardson, that'd be clutch.

Also, what do you guys see us addressing in FA vs. the draft? Basically everything but C, LT, OLB, and one safety spot is in play in some capacity if you take depth needs into account (NT for example). I'd imagine we sign a kicker, re-sign T-Rich, sign a ILB but could draft one for depth also, draft a WR, take a QB early or not at all or sign a vet cheap or not at all, and everything else is really up in the air. I'd lean draft on tight end but maybe not, probably draft an OL at the very least for depth but maybe sign one too, draft DL if we do anything at all there, draft a RB if at all, and I've got no clue what we're doing in the secondary or at corner. What are your thoughts?
                            While Id love to nab Gibril Wilson back to the Giants, I don't think we'd pay him as much as our competitors, and I think he'd make an excellent safety for you guys.

Other than that, FA is pretty weak this year. Maybe you go after Michael Boley as an inside backer, or Channing Crowder?

I think the single largest need for the Jets outside of qb is WR though. I see the Jets going after the best available WR in the draft, which will likely be DHB at this point.

I think this is a sick WR class. I love Crabtree, DHB, Nicks, and Britt.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                              While Id love to nab Gibril Wilson back to the Giants, I don't think we'd pay him as much as our competitors, and I think he'd make an excellent safety for you guys.

Other than that, FA is pretty weak this year. Maybe you go after Michael Boley as an inside backer, or Channing Crowder?

I think the single largest need for the Jets outside of qb is WR though. I see the Jets going after the best available WR in the draft, which will likely be DHB at this point.

I think this is a sick WR class. I love Crabtree, DHB, Nicks, and Britt.
                              I think the smartest course of action is to take a WR at 17. Odds are we have our choice of DHB, Nicks, and Britt there. No reason to address it in FA, and each of those guys brings a lot of different things to the table, so we should be able to find something we like.

Inside I think we just sign Bart Scott, hopefully we can get him relatively cheap for a few years. Either of the guys you mentioned would be fine with me, Boley is real intriguing because of his coverage ability.

Safety I'd rather not sign Jim Leonhard since we can trade up a bit in the second and get Chung or Delmas either of whom would be a great fit.

Honestly at this point I'm most curious to see who our 5th OL is going to be and where that means DW is going to play on the right side, because there has to be some plan there.

Comment

• I think the following is what I'm hoping for:

Address ILB, S/CB, and DE in free agency. I think getting a starting inside linebacker (please Bart Scott) and either a safety or corner will really improve our defense. Then if we can add an end to play next to Jenkins, Rex Ryan will have a field day tormenting opposing offenses. We should also look at acquiring a RT or RG to fill the hole left by Moore. Signing 4 free agents at those positions is not out of the question by any means.

For the draft, we should look wide receiver at 17. DHB would be pure money. He brings something new to our receiver corps and can be a true number 1 for our young, raw quarterbacks.

Then in the second round I think we look in 3 different ways, all depending on what happened in FA. Even if we sign a S/CB we still need to get another, but OL and DE may be a bigger need. Best case scenario: we're happy with our OL and DL so we take a S/CB to finish off our defense.

In the mid to late rounds we look at the following positions for depth:
                                -RB (power back to compliment Jones and Leon)
                                -TE (like someone said before me, blocker who can catch when asked to)
                                -OL (to battle with the FA we sign)
                                -NT (backing up Jenkins to keep him healthy/fresh)
                                -LB (we cut Kassel and Bowens so we need depth)

This is my dream off season.
                                Last edited by TimD; 02-23-2009, 01:05 PM.
                                Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information