Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate Coles. Now I love everyone on our team. Hooray. And now we should most likely definitively get our wish in drafting a WR in the first round. Unless we plan on signing Housh or Holt... or trading for Boldin...
    Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• I want Boldin and I love Maclin in the draft. Hope we can get one of them

Comment

• I really hope he doesn't come back. Hopefully he goes to Miami so him and Chad can sip pina coladas on South Beach.
        Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
          I hate Coles. Now I love everyone on our team. Hooray. And now we should most likely definitively get our wish in drafting a WR in the first round. Unless we plan on signing Housh or Holt... or trading for Boldin...
          Our wish? I would argue that. Additionally, i don't see how this really helps the situation since now we have to throw a rookie learning the NFL curve into the mix right away. He moves up the rotation, has better CBs on him, and still doesn't have a proven/experienced QB throwing him the ball. Recipe for success.

I hope there is a plan somewhere here. And no, please state it at your wish, not 'our' like all Jets fans are wishing for a WR in the first.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
          You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

I really hope he doesn't come back. Hopefully he goes to Miami so him and Chad can sip pina coladas on South Beach.
            I always liked Coles and thought he was a tough player. The only problem was that he thought was better than he actually was, and was constantly crying about respect and money. I'm not sad hes gone, but that really makes WR a big need.
            J. MESS

Comment

• Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
              Our wish? I would argue that. Additionally, i don't see how this really helps the situation since now we have to throw a rookie learning the NFL curve into the mix right away. He moves up the rotation, has better CBs on him, and still doesn't have a proven/experienced QB throwing him the ball. Recipe for success.

I hope there is a plan somewhere here. And no, please state it at your wish, not 'our' like all Jets fans are wishing for a WR in the first.
              I think a lot of Jets fans do want a wideout in the first. What position do you want to take?

Anyways, obviously the position needs to be addressed. I do agree with TGJV though, I wanted to see Coles around for another year to help the wideout we draft adjust. Now we'll probably need a more pro-ready guy, whereas before somebody like Heyward-Bey who would have needed to develop would have been a fine pick. And to be honest, we're going to have difficulty drafting a pro-ready WR at any point no matter who it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post

Eh. I think the best teacher is experience, and allowing the receiver the chance to be in the starting lineup will give him the best opportunity to develop a rapport with our hopefully franchise quarterback. And, the slot position is entirely different from the FL or SE positions, so I don't think putting him there could have done him much good unless we were going to keep him there. And while he is a veteran, I wouldn't want a guy that has some weight in the locker room trying to sway a rookie receiver with his beliefs if he wasn't 100% behind the team and the FO, which I'm not sure he would be. And I'm sorry, but I hate the fact that he doesn't fight for balls and doesn't fight for extra yards, and I don't particularly want that rubbing off.

I apologize for putting my wishes on you. I kind of used some confusing wording there though, where I was trying to say Jets fans would get their wish of getting a WR, which looks like now it'd happen in the first round, not Jets fans getting their wish of drafting a WR in the first round. Not sure if that makes a difference. If it doesn't though, well, I don't know what games you have been watching.

And somewhat of a side-note, but with this move, don't necessarily count out Cotch really turning it up. I know both Steve Smith and Torry Holt looked much more on the average side when they played second fiddle to Moose and Bruce. Now I'm not necessarily saying he'll blow up into a Pro Bowler, but being that #1 guy can change a thing or two in a guy.

Comment

I hate Coles. Now I love everyone on our team. Hooray. And now we should most likely definitively get our wish in drafting a WR in the first round. Unless we plan on signing Housh or Holt... or trading for Boldin...
                  Originally posted by GET LOOSE View Post
                  I want Boldin and I love Maclin in the draft. Hope we can get one of them
                  Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post

I would say a lot of us on this Jets forum wanted a wide receiver out of the first round. Not everyone, but most of us. Color me puzzled about this. Wasn't Coles' contract largely garunteed after the last renegotiation? If so, how much cap relief does his release really provide? If its under two million, it wasn't worth doing IMO. He at the very least provided the Jets with a decent short term receiving option in 2009.

Comment

• Pretty sure this clears it up.

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2009/02/2...umber-reduced/

Comment

• Just did some research, and I'm pretty sure we haven't released more yet, it was only reported that we were going to release him. This leads me to believe that Coles being cut could be related to keeping moore, seeing as they m were slated to make almost the same amount of money this year

Sig by Me

Comment

Right. For those that don't feel like linking, the gist of this that I get is that he wanted a long term deal, we didn't want to commit. He understood, and asked to be released to try and find it elsewhere. We said fine, but you need to renegotiate your contract so we don't owe you everything. He agreed, and we'll save like 6 million on the cap this year. We're happy, he's happy, and he has no hard feelings towards us, staying open to the possibility of coming back. It's unlikely, though.

Originally posted by JETS5128 View Post
                        Just did some research, and I'm pretty sure we haven't released more yet, it was only reported that we were going to release him. This leads me to believe that Coles being cut could be related to keeping moore, seeing as they m were slated to make almost the same amount of money this year
                        Quite possible, wouldn't mind that at all. Thought the release was a little excessive anyways. I think no more LC and the cap going up should be enough room for us.

Comment

• One thing I'm worried about is after the Moore/Baker release, the Jets cap number seems to remain the same when they cut or renegotiate people.

Secondly, here are just some random names I'm going to throw out there as short term receiving options that might (I can't say for certain) be obtained for cheap.

Kelly Washington - The Jets have shown some interest and remember back in the day when everyone thought the Jets were going to draft him or Taylor Jacobs prior to the Robertson trade up?
                          Drew Bennett
                          Michael Clayton
                          Ronald Curry
                          Mike Furrey
                          Jabar Gaffney
                          Joey Galloway
                          Devery Henderson (probably not that cheap)
                          Ike Hilliard
                          Darrell Jackson
                          Bryant Johnson
                          Dane Looker
                          Brandon Lloyd
                          Justin Mckidding
                          Shaun McDonald
                          David Patten
                          Reggie Williams

Comment

• Oh man. I love Reggie Williams, but only because he's from Washington. I wouldn't mind if we picked him up though. He'd at the very least give us that big physical presence, and maybe a change of scenery wouldn't hurt.

Comment

Oh man. I love Reggie Williams, but only because he's from Washington. I wouldn't mind if we picked him up though. He'd at the very least give us that big physical presence, and maybe a change of scenery wouldn't hurt.
                              Yeah he'd probably come cheap and who knows what he does with a new team...he clearly has talent. Henderson could be a nice fit but you're right he probably won't come cheap, could want slightly less than Berrian money and there's no way he's worth it. Wouldn't mind Galloway for a year or two to at least challenge our *potential* draft pick for a job and hopefully start ahead of him for a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by JETS5128 View Post
                                Just did some research, and I'm pretty sure we haven't released more yet, it was only reported that we were going to release him. This leads me to believe that Coles being cut could be related to keeping moore, seeing as they m were slated to make almost the same amount of money this year
                                Glad to hear it. When I heard Moore was getting cut, my first thought was "this is the Jets Gibril Wilson move". If the Coles release prevented Moore from getting released, that leads me to believe the Jets know who they want and they know how much its going to cost to get them.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information