Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criminals? I think a great quality about Scott is that while he's so ferocious on the field, he's fantastic off it. There's a couple articles about what he does for children and what his high school coach said about him.
    Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• I wasn't actually referring to Criminals...I mean they are a lot more "Thuggish" and intimidating then Anthony Schlegel and Matt Chatham etc....

Bart Scott is not a criminal at all. He probably had one of the most articulate interviews I've heard in a while..

Via BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
        I'm starting to worry that I'm setting myself up for disappointment in the draft. There was a time I would have been okay with a myriad of different positions in the first round such as a safety or inside linebacker, but as those positions were filled in free agency, suddenly I only want the Jets to draft a wide receiver in the first round.

:(
        I'm prepped to be disappointed as well. At least the picks after our first should be pretty fun with no particularly clear needs and lots of guys that could help us out at various positions. Not like I'll be looking for a WR after the first either so everything we do in rounds 2-7 should be interesting to say the least.

Comment

• Okay that last post made me want to do a Jets Mock. I'm not going to do trades, because they are too hard to predict.

Round 1, Pick 17 - Darrius Heyward-Bey - WR Maryland
          Yes, he's raw, but like almost all Jets fans, I would love to get this guy. I think he can develop into a premier number 1, which would leave us with a dangerous offense. DHB, Cotchery, and Keller are 3 great options for whoever is a QB.

Round 2, Pick 49 - Ron Brace - NT Boston College
          Scott has him picked 2 picks after us, going to Atlanta, but I think he'd be a great pick for us. Safety, Quarterback, and Defensive End, are also options here, but he could come in and provide great depth behind Jenkins. Our goal line defense could be really scary too. Ellis, Jenkins, and Brace would be difficult to move.

Round 3, Pick 78 - Cody Brown - OLB UCONN
          We only have 5 NFL caliber linebackers on our roster right now (Harris, Scott, Pace, Thomas, and Gholston). Even though we have some young, raw talent (Kenwin Cummings, Marques Murrell, Branden Renkart, and Jason Trusnik), we should really try and get a LB. Even if 2 of those young guys are ready, linebacker depth in a 3-4 defense is a must. Brown is your typical size for a 3-4 LB (6-3, 250).

*note: I watch a lot of Big East games, so I may be overrating him a bit, but I would love to see him in green.

Round 3, Pick 81 - Rashad Jennings - RB Liberty
          He didn't play against great competition, but he's a physical freak. I think he could be the power back that we need. I haven't seen much of him other than highlights but he looks like he can be a powerful runner for us.

Round 4, A - Darryl Richard - DE Georgia Tech
          I'll be the first to admit he doesn't have the height of a 3-4 DE, but I can't find any other negatives about him. Along with Brace, our DL gains valuable size and depth.

Round 4, B - Anthony Hill - TE NC St
          I'm not sure if he'll be here, but I do know he's the best blocking TE in the draft. Losing Baker hurts our goal line/short yardage run game, and I think Hill can take his spot. Keller is the anti-blocking TE.

Round 5 - Dominique Jackson - DB Jackson ST.
          Our secondary really looks set right now, but depth can't hurt. According to Scott, Jackson has the potential to be a safety or corner, and we all know how much versatility matters in the secondary. He can battle with Poteat and Coleman for CB time or Elam and Smith for S time.

Round 6 - Deon Butler - WR Penn St
          I'll be the first to admit, this is a homer pick. I really don't know much about where he may be drafted, but I know Scott has him ranked pretty far down. Butler has got incredible speed, and even though he's small, he's can be a game changer with the ball in his hands. Why not take him and let him battle it out with our other WRs.

Round 7 - Drew Willy - QB Buffalo
          Another homer pick, but idk much about 7th round prospects. He's got good size (6-3 220), a cannon for an arm, and a willingness to learn. He improved from nothing to a draft prospect in his 4 years at UB. Plus he grew up 20 min from me. :)

After the first few picks it got really hard, but I think this would be great. We get a future number 1 WR, huge DL depth, a downhill runner, LB depth, a blocking TE, secondary depth, and a QB to develop in the practice squad.
          Last edited by TimD; 03-03-2009, 05:20 PM.
          Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
            I'm prepped to be disappointed as well. At least the picks after our first should be pretty fun with no particularly clear needs and lots of guys that could help us out at various positions. Not like I'll be looking for a WR after the first either so everything we do in rounds 2-7 should be interesting to say the least.
            It should be hard to mess up the 1st round. There is good depth at the top for wr. Clearly one of the top guys is going to be there. As long as we walk away with maclin, DHB, Britt, or Nicks(Im not as sold on him) we will have done what we needed in the first. I think Tannenbaum and Ryan know that wr is the only glaring need the team has.

In my mind, the only possible disappointment from the first could be if Ryan decides that, as a running team, having another weapon in the pass game is unnecessary. Its possible that if he is ready for a real run heavy team, he may see Keller, Cotchery and all the young guys as enough. I strongly doubt this scenario because I can't see a team with this much talent (that isn't the titans) going into the season with such a weak receiving group.

Comment

• I don't really like that draft at all save for Donald Brown, but I wouldn't see why he'd fall to the third and I don't think he's that great of a fit anyway (and he isn't a good compliment to Leon).
              Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• alright haha constructive criticism is welcomed haha. i kinda went with a different approach (NT in rd 2, and LB in rd 3). I'll probably replace Brown with someone who will be a 3rd rounder.
                Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• I actually kinda like the draft, with or without brown. My two biggests problems that are Cody Brown in round two and a Drew Willy round 7, but otherwise its interesting and pretty solid.

Comment

• Originally posted by josh07039 View Post
                    It should be hard to mess up the 1st round. There is good depth at the top for wr. Clearly one of the top guys is going to be there. As long as we walk away with maclin, DHB, Britt, or Nicks(Im not as sold on him) we will have done what we needed in the first. I think Tannenbaum and Ryan know that wr is the only glaring need the team has.

In my mind, the only possible disappointment from the first could be if Ryan decides that, as a running team, having another weapon in the pass game is unnecessary. Its possible that if he is ready for a real run heavy team, he may see Keller, Cotchery and all the young guys as enough. I strongly doubt this scenario because I can't see a team with this much talent (that isn't the titans) going into the season with such a weak receiving group.
                    Agreed, the "prepped to be disappointed" comment was that I'm preparing myself to not draft a wideout in the first round. If we do, it's all good more or less.

Figured I wouldn't quote that whole mock...I really like the first two picks a lot, basically everybody but Brown. I do question how many picks you've got us having, though. If I'm correct we only have one third (+1 for Vilma, -1 for Favre), one fourth (+1 for Kendall, -1 for Vilma to compensate for the fourth we got last year), and no fifth (-1 for Sheppard).

Comment

• Originally posted by TimDris View Post
                      alright haha constructive criticism is welcomed haha. i kinda went with a different approach (NT in rd 2, and LB in rd 3). I'll probably replace Brown with someone who will be a 3rd rounder.
                      Alright. Well, I just don't like DHB like everyone else does, so that's just going to be an issue in probably every mock. As for Brace, well, I don't think you draft a back-up for arguably your strongest position (might be ILB now) in the 2nd round, unless you foresee Jenkins being done in the next two years. I don't think I've ever seen a team have a Pro Bowl player at a position in their prime and then turn around and draft their back-up that early.

Cody Brown seems to have nice triangle numbers and production and all that, but really, when would he see the field? Unless of course we see Gholston as a bust already. This would be a good pick next year if Gholston doesn't appear to pan out, but it's a throwaway at this point.

I see you've changed it to Rashad Jennings who I love. Pretty sure we don't have two third rounders though unless I'm mistaken. But in any case, I think he's perfect for us.

I guess after that it's kind of hard to figure where people will most probably be available at. Pretty sure we only have one fourth rounder as well. I do like the idea of getting a DE, but I don't particularly like Richard. If we took a blocking TE in the 4th, well, I guess at that point I can't be too angry, but I think that's a complete waste. Butler's pretty much a poor man's Clowney. Of course, everyone keeps calling for us to draft an undersized burner for some reason, so I guess that's just something else I don't agree with.

Comment

• The one thing I don't like about Heyward-Bey is that I'm starting to get the feeling he could be a bit of a better Williamson. I have a friend that ran with him when Heyward-Bey was a senior in highschool and he is basically a physical machine and not so much of a receiver. The last best thing to come out of Maryland that could catch was Vernon Davis and he nearly as great as he is supposed to be.

IMO, I think we go after Hakeem Nicks (trading down a little deeper) or get Maclin. While we have a ton of returners, I think Maclin is the type of guy that Schottenheimer can use in his playbook becuase of his speed and abilities. I truly think that he would be a great guy to run a bunch of trick plays and also he can be a deep threat. I think Hakeem Nicks is a great possession receiver which is what I would like to see on the Jets next to Cotcherry. I think those are both good picks. I mean if he is available, its gotta be Crabtree but I think he will be way gone. I still think we should consider Tyson Jackson in the first round or even a possibility of going up for Sanchez inless we are going to sign some kind of Veteran and ill be frankly honest, Im getting sick and tired of the Old man QB stepping in every year so it would be nice for youth (and I dont think any of you are sold on Kellen).

As for some later WR's to pick, Tiquan Underwood can make a real solid slot receiver in the NFL wouldn't mind going that route also Brian Robiskie is a big receiver who did some damage at OSU. For RB's, I really liek Shonn Greene, real hard runner and knows how to run down hill, while maybe a taller version of Thomas Jones, would be a really good compliment to Leon aswell as Javon Ringer. While these guys maybe higher draft picks then what we want, those would be two really good compliments. Besides the fact taht I go to Pitt, I really dont like Donald Brown and I see him not doing a lot of work in our type of offense already when we have a Leon Washington type of guy.

Via BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                          Begin the chant. RE-CEI-VER! RE-CEI-VER! RE-CEI-VER!
                          Yes sir. And I wont stop chanting after we pick.

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                          I'm starting to worry that I'm setting myself up for disappointment in the draft. There was a time I would have been okay with a myriad of different positions in the first round such as a safety or inside linebacker, but as those positions were filled in free agency, suddenly I only want the Jets to draft a wide receiver in the first round.

:(
                          Yea I feel the same way. After filling all our holes on D the only pick I want in the 1st round is a WR.

Comment

• I actually agree with the sentiment of Young Nasty Man. I am a little nervous about DHB being an athlete and not a reciever, however, I do not agree with the invocation of Troy Williamson. Watching DHB play makes you believe he is more polished as a route runner and pass catcher than Williamson was coming out.

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                              Alright. Well, I just don't like DHB like everyone else does, so that's just going to be an issue in probably every mock. As for Brace, well, I don't think you draft a back-up for arguably your strongest position (might be ILB now) in the 2nd round, unless you foresee Jenkins being done in the next two years. I don't think I've ever seen a team have a Pro Bowl player at a position in their prime and then turn around and draft their back-up that early.
                              I understand your treipdation about drafting DHB, although I feel differently, but I will have to disagree with selection Ron Brace. Last year, when Jenkins went down and Pouh-bear was in, teams ran right at us and we basically were as effective at stopping them as a mesh condom stopping pregnancy. It might seem a bit overkill drafting a person who is going to be considered as mainly a backup, but I think his presence will be felt as more than just a backup.

Towards the end of the season, Jenkins was clearly wearing down and when he wasn't playing up to his standards, our team drastically suffered. Besides keeping Jenkins fresh and thus our defense stout and running on all cylinders, Brace could be used in the 4-3 type of alignments right next jenkins.

Originally posted by josh07039 View Post
                              I actually agree with the sentiment of Young Nasty Man. I am a little nervous about DHB being an athlete and not a reciever, however, I do not agree with the invocation of Troy Williamson. Watching DHB play makes you believe he is more polished as a route runner and pass catcher than Williamson was coming out.

I can definitely see the Williamson comparisons, but I don't view them as that bad. He has all the physical tools and is known as a hard worker, but just has terrible hands. Watching DHB play and run the gauntlet at the combine shows he obviously has better hands than Williamson; the only thing holding back Williamson was his terrible hands.

Originally posted by GET LOOSE View Post
                              Yes sir. And I wont stop chanting after we pick.

Yea I feel the same way. After filling all our holes on D the only pick I want in the 1st round is a WR.
                              I will cry tears, tears of joy if we draft one of Maclin or DHB. And use said tears as masturbatory lubricant.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Is there any word of us going after any veteran QBs currently?

Via BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information