This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JETS5128 View Post
    I see no reason not to. This year's draft has a lot of depth at running back and wide out is our only glaring need. I would actually be surprised if we didn't take an RB at some point during this draft. McCoy is excellent value in the 2nd round too
    I just don't see the fit. He's too similar to what we already have in our backs, the one thing we really lack is a bruiser and that's not McCoy at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
      I just don't see the fit. He's too similar to what we already have in our backs, the one thing we really lack is a bruiser and that's not McCoy at all.
      I agree with you. I know Mccoy is a great player but we really need a power back. I like Andre Brown and Rashard Jennings.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by jetvilma51 View Post
        just to give u guys a heads up

Browns signed Hank Poteat and looking to sign Abram Elam and Eric Barton

not a big deal losing them
        What do we get if they sign Elam? A 7th?

Anyway, yeah, hate the draft, but that's just fine because I think he's usually wrong at this point. I think he had us taking McFadden last year.

Anyways, I'd love the Holt signing. I think he'd be a great mentor and I think he's still got it. That'd also give us more flexibility in the draft instead of pigeon-holing ourselves into having to take a WR in the first.
        Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
          I agree with you. I know Mccoy is a great player but we really need a power back. I like Andre Brown and Rashard Jennings.
          I would agree that a power back would help. But McCoy is on a different level than Andre Brown and Rashad Jennings, his value at 50 is simply too good to pass up. I highly doubt he falls that far on draft day though, in which case Brown and Jennings would be very solid options

Sig by Me

Comment

I would agree that a power back would help. But McCoy is on a different level than Andre Brown and Rashad Jennings, his value at 50 is simply too good to pass up. I highly doubt he falls that far on draft day though, in which case Brown and Jennings would be very solid options
            Yea I agree with you that McCoy is a GREAT value there in the second but Andre Brown and Rashard Jennings will compliment Leon in the future.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• I don't think there's anything that definitively says McCoy is on another level than Brown and Jennings. If anything, their game looks more suited for the pros than his, and it's not entirely out of the question that at least Andre Brown goes before McCoy. I think whatever the case, we should wait until the second day for a RB not only out of respect to the guys on our roster, but because someone talented is going to slip.
              Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Yea and Running back isnt even really a need for this years draft.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                  I don't think there's anything that definitively says McCoy is on another level than Brown and Jennings. If anything, their game looks more suited for the pros than his, and it's not entirely out of the question that at least Andre Brown goes before McCoy. I think whatever the case, we should wait until the second day for a RB not only out of respect to the guys on our roster, but because someone talented is going to slip.
                  Meh... I think it's pretty obvious McCoy is the best prospect out of the three. I'll agree that Brown is a good prospect in his own right though. I would have no problem drafting him in the 3rd or 4th round
                  Last edited by JETS5128; 03-09-2009, 11:32 PM.

Sig by Me

Comment

Meh... I think it's pretty obvious McCoy is the best prospect out of the three. I'll agree that Brown is a good prospect in his own right though. I would have no problem drafting him in the 3rd or 4th round
                    I definitely have to disagree with you there. The north-south element that a guy like Brown has along with his very good size and more than good enough speed for that size means that he projects really well to this level. McCoy is incredibly talented and there's absolutely no denying that but he's not going to be able to outrun defenders the way he did in college and he doesn't exactly relish contact. I think there's a lot of projection and a big boom/bust factor with McCoy, and like TTGS I like how a guy like Brown projects a little better right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                      I definitely have to disagree with you there. The north-south element that a guy like Brown has along with his very good size and more than good enough speed for that size means that he projects really well to this level. McCoy is incredibly talented and there's absolutely no denying that but he's not going to be able to outrun defenders the way he did in college and he doesn't exactly relish contact. I think there's a lot of projection and a big boom/bust factor with McCoy, and like TTGS I like how a guy like Brown projects a little better right now.
                      1) I'm not sure why you think that McCoy is an east/west runner that only outruns defenders. He is definitely a north/south guy. The only time he doesn't hit it upfield is when there is nothing there and he has to search for a seam. And it is true that he doesn't relish contact, but why would he when he has disgusting spins and jukes that make defenders look silly? He also has the ability to get tough yards and is a great short-yardage back

2) Brown is unquestionably the bigger boom/bust guy. He never carried the load in college, never produced like he was supposed to, and struggled with injuries his entire career.
                      Last edited by JETS5128; 03-10-2009, 12:20 AM.

Sig by Me

Comment

1) I'm not sure why you think that McCoy is an east/west runner that only outruns defenders. He is definitely a north/south guy. The only time he doesn't hit it upfield is when there is nothing there and he has to search for a seam. And it is true that he doesn't relish contact, but why would he when he has disgusting spins and jukes that make defenders look silly? He also has the ability to get tough yards and is a great short-yardage back

2) Brown is unquestionably the bigger boom/bust guy. He never carried the load in college, never produced like he was supposed to, and struggled with injuries his entire career.
                        Never said he's just an east-west guy that only outruns defenders, but he's got a lot of that element in his game. He's going to struggle to turn the corner the way he did in college I'm just not sure I see him having the same success running the way he did in college as he did in the pros. And the contact thing is a pretty big issue for me, because with the speed and size of NFL defenders he's going to get hit and I'm not sure how he's going to handle that. Everything about his game strikes me as a much better college guy than a pro guy, just like a Reggie Bush was a much better college guy than a pro guy. I've been impressed with what I've seen on tape, but I still think his speed and moves won't be enough to make up for the way he really shies away from contact.

I was talking more boom/bust based on ability to translate to the pro level. I think Brown has a great chance to be a much better pro than a college player, and McCoy could really struggle in his transition. Besides, the point I was trying to make is that McCoy isn't unquestionably the better prospect. There's a lot of grey area in there IMO with size/speed ratio and ability to handle contact that gets really underrated at times I think. I just think it's a little too much to say that you there's no way you can see Brown as a better prospect than McCoy, because looking at the big picture (especially depending on what you want) there are some things that make me question that.

Comment

• No T.O.

No T.H.

The Jets passed on Terrell Owens and they're passing on Torry Holt as well. With rampant speculation about a possible Holt-to-the-Jets move, I did some additional digging and learned the Jets have zero interest in the Rams' soon-to-be-jettisoned wide receiver. None. Zip. Nada.

Oh, well, so much for that possibility. Holt-to-the-Jets seemed to make some sense, and I totally endorsed it yesterday in a blog post. After all, the Jets need another veteran receiver (just my opinion) and their new receivers' coach, Henry Ellard, used to be Holt's longtime position coach in St. Louis.

The ideal marriage? Well, there apparently is an issue with Holt's durability, going forward. He has been an incredibly durable player in his career - only two missed games in 10 years - but there's some concern about his knees.
                          I don't know. I think he could help the Jets, but what do I know?
                          This will be the second Hall of Fame-caliber receiver the Jets have ignored, and I'm guessing they're not interested in Marvin Harrison, either. They stayed away from T.O. for obvious reasons, which means they're looking at a receiving corps of Jerricho Cotchery and a lot of question marks. The braintrust apparently feels it can fill the need by taking a receiver in the first or second round of the draft.
                          http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...t-in-holt.html

I was reading this and found it pretty interesting. It sort of seems like Ryan may be bringing in a philosophy of grooming young talent, rather than relying on stop-gaps. If it's true, that to me would make it even more obvious that we're going to go for a WR early, so it looks like we'll (most of us) get our wish. That'd make me think that we won't be seeing a Tyson Jackson or Knowshon surprise on draft day. I guess it's just a question of which WR we get. It's weird though because not only here, but on draft sites and on other Jets forums there seems to be some differing opinions as to what we need from the position. The only consensus seems to be that we need a guy over 6' and someone that's good at something, rather than average at everything, whether it be speed, strength, or red zone presence.

Comment

• I wish we would go for T. Holt, I mean it can't hurt. He is only a year older than L. Coles and his production has been much better than Coles even the past 2 years. He would be cheaper than Coles and would be great for whatever WR we get in round one. Not getting Holt just means Ryan plans on neglecting the offense all together.

Comment

• Originally posted by MyLostintention View Post
                              I wish we would go for T. Holt, I mean it can't hurt. He is only a year older than L. Coles and his production has been much better than Coles even the past 2 years. He would be cheaper than Coles and would be great for whatever WR we get in round one. Not getting Holt just means Ryan plans on neglecting the offense all together.
                              I wouldn't say that he's going to neglect the offense all together. I think he plans on utilizing a very run-heavy offense, which could lead to the play action.

I don't see a reason we need to invest money into aging, on the wrong side of 30 receivers, especially ones who have questions about their knees. I love T-Holt, and I think he's got another season or two in him, but with him or Coles, we will never be able to evaluate what the guys on our roster can do.

There is no doubt in my mind that Stuckey can come close or eclipse the numbers that Coles put up the last few years. Stuckey had 32 catches for 359 yards and 3 tds last season, which was pretty much half of what Coles had. I would be willing to bet he was also targeted much less than half as much as Coles.

I am willing to go into the season with our current receivers and a #1 pick. Maybe it doesn't look great on paper, but paper doesn't win you games.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• You can't have all young WRs when you only have young unproven QBs. Having a vet WR like Holt would help Clemens progress tremendously, in ways a rookie WR couldn't. I still feel we need a young WR who can be our future number 1 but Holt is a very good short term decision to help an offense that is very young at the play making positions.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information