This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
    Well the last time the Jets had one, his name was Santana Moss and mostly went over the middle because Paul Hackett is a turd.

Looking at the team, I don't see why Mark Sanchez or especially Josh Freeman would help. Strong run game (Thomas Jones), playmaker who can make plays after the pass (Leon Washington) and possession receivers who lack elite speed (Keller and Cotchery).

Tell me this Jets offense isn't still built for Chad Pennington. Go ahead and tell me.
    Well now that his security blanket is gone at least we're moving away from the Chad Pennington offense.

If we draft a QB it has to be a long-term move, I think the sports writers need to give up the "Ryan is looking for the next Flacco" BS. Odds are strongly against a quarterback having any kind of success in their rookie season, especially a bunch of junior quarterbacks like this year's class.

Beyond that, the "these quarterbacks lack experience" point that people try to make is ridiculous also. I was listening to some guy on ESPN talking about how the three guys on the Jets roster have a combined 8 starts, and use that as a reason to draft a QB. How much more experience is a rookie quarterback going to add?

If this team has taken a look at their quarterbacks and decided they want to develop a guy long-term because the current answer isn't on the roster and they find a guy in this draft they they think can be the long-term answer, fine. It kind of explains why we haven't looked at a veteran yet, as I assume signing a veteran would make sense after drafting a guy to start this year. Sign the guy to start for a year or two, cut Clemens, let Ratliff and Ainge battle it out to be a long-term backup, and start to develop a guy.

I still think that's giving up on our younger guys a little early, and isn't a realistic scenario. But drafting a guy would probably signal that Schottenheimer, Cavanaugh, maybe Ryan, has can tell from practice that nobody we have now is going to fit the offense we want to run, or be able to start in the NFL.

But the pieces just don't seem to come together, I don't think drafting a quarterback makes sense right now with the young guys on the roster that haven't been afforded an opportunity.

What makes the most sense to me is the staff understanding that we have some talented young guys and they should be given an opportunity to see what they've got. But in New York saying "Hey, we've been putting a lot into this team, but we've got three unproven quarterbacks that we want to give a shot. So we're not going to draft a guy, we're not going to sign a vet or trade for a guy, but we're going to take a shot in the dark and see what happens with these three." is not going to fly. So throw out some rumors that we're interested in Jay Cutler, interested in drafting a QB, trying to address the situation, and then just ignore them and go with the guys we've got. Otherwise we'll be going balls out for something and I'm sure we'll figure out it's a need. But what makes the most sense, based on the situation, to me, is all of the QB interest just being a massive smokescreen.

Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
    I was reading somewhere Clowney was looking to get up to about 200 lbs. If he could get there and still retain his speed, the injury issues would probably disappear and then all we'd really be missing is a red zone threat (unless I guess you want to count Keller).
    It would definitely be nice to get Clowney in there as a deep threat, but it depends if he's going to be a consistent deep threat or just a situational guy. We'll still need a starter and somebody that can separate when they're on the field, but who can be on the field regardless of situation and do lots of things. Development from him would be great, but I don't think we can rely on him just yet. Consistency will be key for a player with his talent level and age, but status on the roster right now. If he can show that, then I could see him being a big-time contributor.
    Last edited by derza222; 04-05-2009, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• Lets say in the 3rd round, Andre Brown, Shonn Greene and Rashad Jennings are available. Who do you want.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
        Lets say in the 3rd round, Andre Brown, Shonn Greene and Rashad Jennings are available. Who do you want.
        Shonn Greene. Assuming the Jets have already drafted a WR not named Derrick Williams, I'd be happy with any of them.

Comment

• Shonn Greene is the type of back we need. I also like Brown but Greene is the big bruiser that we need.

Comment

• It would be close between Jennings and Green for me but I think I'd be a little more confident with Green.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
              Lets say in the 3rd round, Andre Brown, Shonn Greene and Rashad Jennings are available. Who do you want.
              I'd say Jennings. Big Ten RBs just don't seem to fair too well and the durability and production Jennings had would put him ahead of Brown for me.
              Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• I'd want Brown

Sig by Me

Comment

• You guys are bringing in our restricted FA WR, Miles Austin, on Thursday and Friday. I wouldnt be surprised if you signed him to an offer sheet but, I think we'd match that offer pretty quickly. An interesting development but, I don't think anything will come of it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                  KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                    You guys are bringing in our restricted FA WR, Miles Austin, on Thursday and Friday. I wouldnt be surprised if you signed him to an offer sheet but, I think we'd match that offer pretty quickly. An interesting development but, I don't think anything will come of it.
                    What's hilarious about that, if it ends up as you say, is that in the Forum Mock I inquired with Ward about Austin and he said I couldn't inform him.

In any case, I'd love it. If no one knew, he's a Jersey guy. Plus, he's young and pretty much everything everyone's been asking for in a receiver for us. Granted, JJ said he let go of TO because of a guy like Austin, but it could happen...
                    Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                      What's hilarious about that, if it ends up as you say, is that in the Forum Mock I inquired with Ward about Austin and he said I couldn't inform him.

In any case, I'd love it. If no one knew, he's a Jersey guy. Plus, he's young and pretty much everything everyone's been asking for in a receiver for us. Granted, JJ said he let go of TO because of a guy like Austin, but it could happen...
                      Monmouth guy, right? They have a TE that we brought in and is getting some late round consideration as well I believe. Austin would definitely be great, but I'm sure you guys would match.

And I'd be happy with any of them, but I'd probably want Brown, then Greene, then Jennings.

Comment

• All he does is play football and watch polar bears. I guess he's around the Jersey area doing stuff in the community too. Since I think the compensation is a second rounder, we should give up our first for the Cowboys' second and fourth. Then we get a receiver and don't have to worry about Freeman. Or maybe some of you want him. I at least won't have to worry about Freeman. (and we could use the extra fourth to get Troy :D)

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post

All he does is play football and watch polar bears. I guess he's around the Jersey area doing stuff in the community too. Since I think the compensation is a second rounder, we should give up our first for the Cowboys' second and fourth. Then we get a receiver and don't have to worry about Freeman. Or maybe some of you want him. I at least won't have to worry about Freeman. (and we could use the extra fourth to get Troy :D)
                          Dunno if the Boys do that deal since that would leave them with a first and maybe one third (from some other deal, maybe not) in the first four rounds. I'm sure we could figure something out, maybe we just give up the second and move down in the first picking up a first and a third or a late first and a late second. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Comment

• Interest in Miles must be a smokescreen.

There is no way they can really be willing to part with a 2nd round pick for Miles Austin... right?

For what other reason would you even bring the guy in?

This could be an attempt to show Tampa that they're not a threat to take Freeman at #17. If Tampa thinks they're focused on adding a WR (they're having Britt in soon too), the Bucs won't be inclined to move up in front of the Jets for the QB.

Reading into it a lot I know, but I just don't see any other reason for the team to bring in Miles Austin...
                            "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

• Originally posted by gpngc View Post
                              Interest in Miles must be a smokescreen.

There is no way they can really be willing to part with a 2nd round pick for Miles Austin... right?

For what other reason would you even bring the guy in?

This could be an attempt to show Tampa that they're not a threat to take Freeman at #17. If Tampa thinks they're focused on adding a WR (they're having Britt in soon too), the Bucs won't be inclined to move up in front of the Jets for the QB.

Reading into it a lot I know, but I just don't see any other reason for the team to bring in Miles Austin...
                              I dunno I mean bringing Austin in makes it seem like it's a priority to get a WR on one hand, but on the other it also seems like we're trying to bring in a wideout to leave us open to other options at 17. In that case we may be looking for a way to find a WR without drafting one at 17, because we want to use that selection to grab a guy like Freeman, Wells, Pettigrew, etc and we don't like the WR's available at 17. I think you can kind of make it into whatever you want to with enough what-if's involved, guess we'll just take it for what it is and see what happens.

We've also brought in restricted guys just to get to know them for when they become unrestricted. Stacey Andrews I remember specifically, and there may have been somebody else as well. Who knows, but I wouldn't read into it that much.

Comment

• Originally posted by gpngc View Post
                                Interest in Miles must be a smokescreen.

Trading a second round draft pick for a veteran receiver who really never produced as more than his team's #3 WR? Whats the worst that could happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information