X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really briefly:

Wasn't Clowney a round 5 guy?

We still have time to address the offensive and defensive lines, absolutely. But if Kris Jenkins or any of the offensive lineman gets hurt this year, we're absolutely ******. Jenkins is understandable, but our offensive line depth is horrid. And that worries me big time with a young quarterback. Hopefully we can pick up a decent free agent or two or somebody around cut time, because it's pretty damn scary how thin we are there. At least next year's 5-techs should be sick, I already want one of them or a WR in round 1.

I still love Shonn Greene.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
      You make it sound like the later picks would have been sure thing steals.

For each one that is a steal, there are a large number that don't do anything, or don't become anything special or see the field. I agree, its great to get a Cotchery, Washington, Rhodes, i totally agree, but those are exceptions, not the norm. It would be nice to have that opportunity to see if you could get one of those guys, but if you have a guy high on your board that you feel much more strongly can help your team, I don't know if i disagree with the thought of going to get him. I wish we had way more picks, and RB wasn't necessarily a position of need, totally agree, but as you mentioned, Jones is a guy who may be on the outs soon, and hopefully this helps the philosophy the Jets are building.
      They're not sure thing steals, but its how teams fill out their rosters with decent depth. And yes, there are several players out of the 4th/5th rounds who come in and contribute every year. The players you listed are proof of that.

Right now the Jets have 3 very good players from the past 2 full drafts. And thats not a lot.

Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
      I don't know if that was a cheap shot at me, because it sure doesn't bother me. But yes, obviously the Jets know something that you probably don't.
      It was a reference to the comments from the Jets fans in the Jets draft blunders video. Obviously the Jets know something they don't. When they drafted Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp. And Ken O'Brien over Dan Marino.

All teams are going to have turnover, and obviously we have some high valued and respected players that are in that group for the Jets. Greene can help the Jones transition. Fanaca will be around a few more years, so don't act like this is the end of the road to address this. Sheppard, if he pans out, will still be around. Hopefully Lowry can expand his game and enable us to have a smoother transition if Sheppard busts. 3-4 linemen are hard to find, and we obviously created a bigger hole with the Coleman move. There wasn't anyone in the 1st that would have helped. Aside from Brace (NT) or the Purdue DE, i'm not sure if there was many that would have quickly addressed this.
      Faneca will be 33 this year. No offensive linemen, even the best last much past that.

If Lito Sheppard pans out, with the deal he has, he will still probably be released. Don't believe me? Just ask Ty Law who had 10 picks in one season the first time the Jets signed him, but was still released because of his mammoth contract.

Fact remains, if you look at this in a 1 year scope, and needing to win this moment, it doesn't change the fact that we would have had an inexperienced and unproven QB in Clemens, and a WR coming off injury who we are assuming would have been the missing link on offense......getting a 'franchise' QB for a relatively cheap price isn't all that bad a thing.
      1. "Potential franchise" QB. You mention that Clemens is inexperienced, but by definition, Sanchez is far more inexperienced having just been drafted. And having not played a down, Sanchez is far from being an ACTUAL franchise QB.

2. Drafting a "potential franchise quarterback" without the tools on the team for him to succeed throwing accomplishes what?

3. You're comfortable with a quarterback who has 16 college games under his belt throwing the ball to a bunch of 7th round/UDFA receivers? More than Michael Crabtree? Really?

People talk about QB who succeeded from day 1,

Roethlisberger had Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress and Antwaan Randle El from day 1. And then Heath Miller too after one year.

Matt Ryan had Roddy White and Michael Jenkins. Not that Jenkins has been a great receiver, but he hasn't been chopped liver either.

Carson Palmer from the day he began starting had Chad Johnson, Peter Warrick and Kelly Washington. And then T.J. Houshmandzadeh who earned his spot after developing as an NFL WR for 3 years. And then Chris Henry as well.

But Crabtree would still be a rookie coming off an injury. Clemens would still be a relative unknown. It would still be unproven to unproven, only we'd be going in with a QB that obviously hasn't drawn the faith of management or coaching staff. Plenty of what could have beens, and many different directions could hav ebeen taken. Hopefully the 2 players selected turn out good to ease any pain. There is no telling who would have been drafted if we had stayed, only lots of people being optimistic about any other player who pans out. Depth is required, but who knows how that depth would have turned out in the end - stud or out of the league.
      This seems kind of like an argument why the Jets should wash their hands of the draft completely. "Well they're all unproven, so why bother?"

After the draft history the Jets have had, there's no way I would look at who they've taken and say "they must know what they're doing" no matter what. They have 3 good players from the past 2 drafts.

Comment

• I'll be honest. I'd love to have a Patriots type situation where you get a deep draft class with various types of players with lots of talent. I'm not huge on the Greene trade up, but i am on the Sanchez one. I would have loved to have had those picks for depth, that would have been my preference. I'm just trying to get a grip on what actually went down and assume that there is a master plan - basically looking on the bright side....

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
        You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

I'll be honest. I'd love to have a Patriots type situation where you get a deep draft class with various types of players with lots of talent. I'm not huge on the Greene trade up, but i am on the Sanchez one. I would have loved to have had those picks for depth, that would have been my preference. I'm just trying to get a grip on what actually went down and assume that there is a master plan - basically looking on the bright side....

QB - Mark Sanchez - Kellen Clemens - Erik Ainge

RB - Thomas Jones - Leon Washington - Shonn Greene

FB - Tony Richardson

WR - Jerricho Cotchery - Chansi Stuckey - Dave Clowney - Brad Smith - Marcus Henry?

TE - Dustin Keller - James Dearth

LT - D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Wayne Hunter

LG - Alan Faneca - Stanley Daniels

C - Nick Mangold

RG - Brandon Moore, Robert Turner

RT - Damien Woody, Mike Kracalik

There's the offense.

Comment

• crickett, we also got kris jenkins in last year's draft, and also got shepphard with the help of this year's 5th rounder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
              QB - Mark Sanchez - Kellen Clemens - Erik Ainge

RB - Thomas Jones - Leon Washington - Shonn Greene

FB - Tony Richardson

WR - Jerricho Cotchery - Chansi Stuckey - Dave Clowney - Brad Smith - Marcus Henry?

TE - Dustin Keller - James Dearth

LT - D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Wayne Hunter

LG - Alan Faneca - Stanley Daniels

C - Nick Mangold

RG - Brandon Moore, Robert Turner

RT - Damien Woody, Mike Kracalik

There's the offense.
              Cool, thanks for pointing that out for me......

I see your point, but this is a chicken and the egg thing. Does the WR make the QB, or does a QB make a WR? Back and forth back and forth. You don't pass on a QB because you don't have that WR. You say Sanchez has less experience than Clemens, but the same could be said about Crabtree to the current WRs.

I see where you are coming from on a lot of things and can tell you really wanted Crabtree, but i'll try to see the bright side of getting a new QB and be hopeful. It is a lot more happy on this side.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
              You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

• Wallace Wright probably works his way in at WR. That position concerns me, but TE and the offensive line concern me more. Keller is basically a WR as far as I'm concerned, so if you consider him our #2 target things are at least a little better there, and both Clowney and Stuckey have a little potential. It's not ideal, but we can make it work there and get guys in future years. We're going to build around Sanchez at this point, so we have time. But if we don't keep whoever is behind center protected that will be a major problem, and we literally have nothing at tight end. An injury anywhere on the OL causes major issues. I still think there will be some signings of backup types who can contribute if necessary, otherwise all of these trades are setting us up to be in major trouble if there are injuries this year (especially trying to develop a young QB), and the FO has to know that.

Comment

Cool, thanks for pointing that out for me......

I see your point, but this is a chicken and the egg thing. Does the WR make the QB, or does a QB make a WR? Back and forth back and forth. You don't pass on a QB because you don't have that WR.
                  But if you don't have that WR for the QB to throw to, whats to stop them from needing that QB in 2012?

Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                  Wallace Wright probably works his way in at WR.
                  Wallace Wright is a free agent. He's an RFA, but with no tender, there isn't any restriction, and he might as well be a UFA.

Comment

• Sammie Lee Hill got taken with out 4th rounder. That hurts.
                    Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• I liked moving up for Sanchez but not so much for Greene at this point. May work out but I dont want to lose depth.

As far as trading up, im ok with trading up for a potential franchise QB but to trade up from 17 to 5 to draft a WR (when we have no QB) coming off an injury is a huge risk. As much as Crabtree may become great that would be hard to swallow. Its a crap shoot not matter how you slice it, but I think the went the right way by finding a franchise QB and building around him, not the other way around.
                      J. MESS

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                        Sammie Lee Hill got taken with out 4th rounder. That hurts.
                        I personally dont know much about him but all of the reports that I have read aren't too complimentary on him. Scott even said he is late round or FA.
                        J. MESS

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                          Wallace Wright is a free agent. He's an RFA, but with no tender, there isn't any restriction, and he might as well be a UFA.
                          Interesting, good to know. My bad there.

Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                          Sammie Lee Hill got taken with out 4th rounder. That hurts.
                          :(

Shocked Vaughn Martin got taken in the fourth. Thought for sure we'd have a shot at him in the sixth after the trade if Rex wanted him.

Comment

• Chip Vaughn you mean?
                            Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Well I guess we need linemen. I expect us to be very busy in the UDFA market.

Comment

• His draft profile.

Height: 6-47/8 | Weight: 316 | 40-Time: 5.26
                                Matt Slauson | Nebraska Cornhuskers
                                Official Bio

Stars
                                Strengths:
                                Decent athlete...Very good size with a large frame and big hands...Is stout at the point...Solid range and holds his own in space...Fantastic motor...Good awareness...Is tough and nasty...Durable...Experienced.

Weaknesses:
                                Has short arms...Is not real strong or powerful...Lacks a violent initial punch...Gets caught leaning...Doesn't always use proper leverage...Not a dominating run blocker...Struggles to recover when beat...Upside???

Notes:
                                Spent one season at Air Force Prep School (CO) before joining the Cornhuskers...Played extensively as a true freshman in 2005 and even earned three starts at right tackle...Starter at right tackle in 2006 but was limited by an ankle injury down the stretch...Started 8 games at right guard in 2007...Started all 13 games at right guard in 2008 and was named 2nd Team All-Big 12...Cited for criminal mischief in 2007 after allegedly vandalizing a couple of cars...Possesses a good mix of physical tools and intangibles...Best fit might come in a zone blocking scheme...His versatility could help him earn a roster spot as a backup.

__________________________________________________ _

Sounds like a replacement for Jonathan Goodwin.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information