His draft profile.

Height: 6-47/8 | Weight: 316 | 40-Time: 5.26
    Matt Slauson | Nebraska Cornhuskers
    Official Bio
    Callahan must know him from Nebraska
    J. MESS

Comment

• Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
      I see your point, but this is a chicken and the egg thing. Does the WR make the QB, or does a QB make a WR? Back and forth back and forth. You don't pass on a QB because you don't have that WR. You say Sanchez has less experience than Clemens, but the same could be said about Crabtree to the current WRs.
      I'd say its a bit of both.

Well, I'll ask. What is the point of a franchise QB if you have nobody to throw to? If Sanchez hands the ball off 40 times a game to the Jets three headed monster at RB, and passes for, lets say 63% completion percentage for 2,200 yards for the next two years because his only real WR is Jerricho Cotchery, will it be worth it?

Having Randy Moss and Chris Carter made Daunte Culpepper one of the best QB's in the league. Having Nate Burleson, Travis Taylor and Troy Williamson made him one of the worst.

With David Patten, Troy Brown and David Givens, Tom Brady was a pro bowl QB. With Randy Moss, Donte Stallworth and Wes Welker, he was a record setting QB.

But on the flip side, having T.J. Whosyomomma and Chad OchoCinco did nothing for Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I don't look at it as (at least on offense) as a player being the master of his own destiny. In Arizona, Thomas Jones was horrible, in Tampa Bay, he was decent. In Chicago, he was very good. Here, he wasn't very good behind Adrian Clarke and Anthony Clement, but replace them with Alan Faneca and Damien Woody and Thomas Jones was [b]awesome[b].

I look at it the same way with Mark Sanchez and Chansi Stuckey and Dave Clowney.

Comment

• Obviously great WRs can make a QB look better, but if the QB is destined to be good you'll see that without all the star WRs. But first and foremost, unless the guy's Calvin Johnson, you need to go franchise QB over franchise WR. And like that AlexDown always says, he's not on our team for just a year. We can get a first round WR (or even Braylon) next year. Plus, you just have to realize the philosophy Rex is coming from. He just came from a Ravens team that had no real receiving option beyond an aging Mason. So let's just see how it works.
        Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
          Chip Vaughn you mean?
          Nope I meant Martin, the dude from Western Ontario with the sick measurables. Thought he could have been a developmental nose guy, but I'm pretty sure the Chargers took him in the fourth unless I misread.

Originally posted by jmess15 View Post
          Callahan must know him from Nebraska
          Yeah the team website has an article, apparently he came to Nebraska specifically to play for Callahan so he's really psyched to be a Jet. Had some good explosion numbers (vertical, broad jump) at the combine and he's actually worked on snapping and stuff to be able to play center in a pinch, so it seems like he's versatile and a hard worker.

Definitely will have a shot to do some things with us because we're so thin there and he'll have a great opportunity to learn behind Faneca and maybe start down the road, but definitely get backup time. It'll be interesting to see what UDFA's we sign and if Slauson plays at center at all.

Also with the whole QB vs. WR's argument, I think we were unproven in both regards. QB's help WR's and WR's help QB's, there's no real other way around it. We have some weapons in the passing game, and apparently ultimately decided that a run attack and those options would be enough for the moment. Probably came down to us having Sanchez graded very, very high and even higher than Crabtree. We'll see how it plays out and if WR's step up, but at this point all we can do is hope for the best.

I do think it's really a chicken or egg argument, although run game and OL are huge for both as was the case with Fitzpatrick. Yeah he sucked with great WR's, but their line and run game were balls last year. Anybody would've struggled, even Palmer wasn't playing well.

EDIT:

We're talking to Plax? That could be...interesting. Doubt anything comes of it though.
          Last edited by derza222; 04-26-2009, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• Ive been hearing that the Jets will sign 15 UDFA's.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Rashad Jennings fell all the way into the 7th round. We didnt really didnt to move up in the 3rd to get Shonn Greene. We could have had so many more players.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• That is, of course, if Jennings becomes as good of or a better player than Greene.
                Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Shonn Greene IMO will be the 2nd best RB in this draft behind Knowshown Moreno. I love the pick, just wish we didnt give up basically all of our day 2 to move up 10 spots. There's a chance that he couldve been around for us at 76, but I guess we were so enamored with this guy that we didnt want to risk losing him.

I'm not too worried about giving up the late rounders though, because we figure to be big players in the UDFA pool. I also heard we are looking to pickup 15 players.

Comment

• Jets sign TE Andrew Davie (Arkansas)

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=562249

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Oh my god is he old. But he gets bonus points for being a Cardinal.

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                        That is, of course, if Jennings becomes as good of or a better player than Greene.
                        Right. We clearly had Shonn Greene rated very highly. So we'll see how it plays out, but they traded up to get a player, not a position.

Comment

• Just got back from Day 2. Absolutely sick experience. Heckled Mccshay, got on TV a thousand times, convinced Jaws/Wingo to mention Rutgers more, got Kiper to answer questions I yelled down during break. The ESPN guys are so much nicer than the NFL network guys. Other than Gruden, they all think they are too good to interact with fans.
                          I'm not very happy with the trade up for Greene. I would've been ok if it was Thomas Jones that was sent for the pick rather than all those choices.

I was happy to be a part of the Rutgers record for draft picks, but was disappointed how far Tiquan fell.

Comment

• Originally posted by josh07039 View Post
                            Just got back from Day 2. Absolutely sick experience. Heckled Mccshay, got on TV a thousand times, convinced Jaws/Wingo to mention Rutgers more, got Kiper to answer questions I yelled down during break. The ESPN guys are so much nicer than the NFL network guys. Other than Gruden, they all think they are too good to interact with fans.
                            I'm not very happy with the trade up for Greene. I would've been ok if it was Thomas Jones that was sent for the pick rather than all those choices.

I was happy to be a part of the Rutgers record for draft picks, but was disappointed how far Tiquan fell.
                            1. Were you the guy in the Rutgers jersey one of the guys in the Jets jersies.

2. Now I wish I had gone.

3. I didn't go to day 2 because I'm not going back to the draft. I went to the Jets draft party in farmingdale and loved it despite the $25 fee.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                              1. Were you the guy in the Rutgers jersey one of the guys in the Jets jersies.

2. Now I wish I had gone.

3. I didn't go to day 2 because I'm not going back to the draft. I went to the Jets draft party in farmingdale and loved it despite the $25 fee.
                              I was in a Brian Leonard Jersey with a group that had a Drob jersey, another old jet i forget, a bill, a pats, a rams brian leonard, and a Courtney Greene guy. We were in the front row of the balcony going nuts the entire time. So much fun stuff happened in the balcony. So many near fights, so much heckling, and the espn crew really is surprisingly down to earth and personable, especially Herm.

Comment

• Originally posted by josh07039 View Post
                                I was in a Brian Leonard Jersey with a group that had a Drob jersey, another old jet i forget, a bill, a pats, a rams brian leonard, and a Courtney Greene guy. We were in the front row of the balcony going nuts the entire time. So much fun stuff happened in the balcony. So many near fights, so much heckling, and the espn crew really is surprisingly down to earth and personable, especially Herm.
                                I need to review the tape since for the time being I do have the draft on my DVR and I do remember seeing that #63 jersey.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information