Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Jets Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
    Congrats on the qb guys. I really liked Mark Sanchez this year. I liked him more than Stafford, and thats before the bandwagon of Sanchez fans that popped out when Mayock stated the same.

    I just hope you guys develop him slowly. He's a keeper.


    Granted, I said I liked Gholston a lot last year, so take that with a grain of salt, lol. Gholston was one of my biggest misses I ever had with the draft. That one hurt.
    I hope so too, but it looks like that's not going to happen. Either he wins the starting job, in which case we obviously aren't developing him slowly, or Clemens wins the starting job and he's proclaimed a bust before the season even starts. I'd prefer we just handed Clemens the job this year and pull him if he sucks, but apparently that won't be the case.

    I think we're all holding out hope for VG, but nobody really expects much. Which at this point is nice. I know I'll be pleasantly surprised if he explodes and not shocked if he doesn't do anything. He's an x-factor for our defense this year. Don't think anybody thought he would be as tentative as he is and dislike contact as much as he does.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
      Granted, I said I liked Gholston a lot last year, so take that with a grain of salt, lol. Gholston was one of my biggest misses I ever had with the draft. That one hurt.
      Hey..Gholston isn't a bust...YET!.

      Does anyone think that maybe they move Vernon to DE now? Justwondering, not protypical 3-4 end but with the depth issues at DE it may be viable. The Giants did it with Kiwanuka so I think it is not out of the realm.
      J. MESS

      Comment


      • Originally posted by jmess15 View Post
        Hey..Gholston isn't a bust...YET!.

        Does anyone think that maybe they move Vernon to DE now? Justwondering, not protypical 3-4 end but with the depth issues at DE it may be viable. The Giants did it with Kiwanuka so I think it is not out of the realm.
        I actually did wonder the same thing. Doubt they do it, but I guess it's a possibility. Certainly in obvious passing situations it makes some sense, since you don't need as much bulk there. It'd let him get his hand in the dirt and just go after the QB where maybe he's more comfortable.

        Comment


        • I can see moving Gholston to DE on passing downs. Gholston's problem is not scheme, its not what they do with him, its none of that.

          its desire. you can throw him anywhere on that field and tell him to do anything. its not about what he's being asked to do, its all up to him to succeed. if he gets some desire, he can be a successful player.

          but im just not expecting it. never in my life, have i ever seen a lazier player on the field. the man just doesn't care. he's just out there.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
            I can see moving Gholston to DE on passing downs. Gholston's problem is not scheme, its not what they do with him, its none of that.

            its desire. you can throw him anywhere on that field and tell him to do anything. its not about what he's being asked to do, its all up to him to succeed. if he gets some desire, he can be a successful player.

            but im just not expecting it. never in my life, have i ever seen a lazier player on the field. the man just doesn't care. he's just out there.
            Boy I hope you are wrong there, but I can see your point of view. It did drive me crazy last year as to why they just didnt line him up more at end on passing downs. If the guy can't get the idiosyncrasies of playing LB down in his first year thats fine, but at least get some bang for your buck and let him get the QB on 3rd and long.
            J. MESS

            Comment


            • Yeah Mangini did not even attempt to figure out a way to use him. At the very least he could have been used as a pass rusher like you just said. Put him on the line and tell him to get the QB. Not worry about anything else. But yeah, this year I hope we do whatever we can with him. Last year he just wasted a roster spot.
              Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

              Comment


              • Originally posted by TimDris View Post
                Yeah Mangini did not even attempt to figure out a way to use him. At the very least he could have been used as a pass rusher like you just said. Put him on the line and tell him to get the QB. Not worry about anything else. But yeah, this year I hope we do whatever we can with him. Last year he just wasted a roster spot.
                Seemed like the only place we saw him was on special teams. He was clearly in the dog house for whatever reason and Mangini was too stubborn to allow him out of it. For someone with the mantra of "Do what it takes to win" "Look under every rock" etc he sure was pig headed and seemed to go against that very motto.

                Sorry didnt mean to pile on Eric, but the Gholston talk got me on my soap box.
                J. MESS

                Comment


                • Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                  I can see moving Gholston to DE on passing downs. Gholston's problem is not scheme, its not what they do with him, its none of that.

                  its desire. you can throw him anywhere on that field and tell him to do anything. its not about what he's being asked to do, its all up to him to succeed. if he gets some desire, he can be a successful player.

                  but im just not expecting it. never in my life, have i ever seen a lazier player on the field. the man just doesn't care. he's just out there.
                  I do think the major thing with him is desire. If he wants it, he'll go get it. He certainly does have the talent. It's just tough to get somebody like that to change their stripes.

                  Read that in minicamp Westhoff let him have it for pulling up a bit when he was supposed to hit the "wedge" that they had set up, seems like he just doesn't like contact. Maybe Ryan will get him to flip the switch...

                  The other thing I read is that at OSU he really didn't "get it" till his third year, so maybe that's the case at the pro level. That is when he really exploded there. We'll see, but I really don't expect much. Disappointing, because he's so talented. Just seems like more of a weight room guy than a football player.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                    Id hope Ryan can make something out of him, but Rex doesn't sound too enthusiastic about him.
                    You must not have heard him talk about Gholston all too much.

                    And I bet the plan will be to develop Sanchez slowly, but I bet he wins the job by the pre-season.
                    Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                      You must not have heard him talk about Gholston all too much.

                      And I bet the plan will be to develop Sanchez slowly, but I bet he wins the job by the pre-season.
                      he specifically said when he was with the Ravens, they felt he was a better player in shorts than in pads...


                      he's just doing coach talk now as damage control bc he's his HC now. even now, its not like he's slobbing the guys knob. all he's saying is he'll have an opportunity to showcase his ability. thats not saying much at all.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                        You must not have heard him talk about Gholston all too much.

                        And I bet the plan will be to develop Sanchez slowly, but I bet he wins the job by the pre-season.
                        I dunno, Tannenbaum and Ryan said that when you trade up to get a guy like that you expect him to compete for the starting job. I think they want him to start this year. Which I don't really like, but it seems like that's the case so...

                        Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                        he specifically said when he was with the Ravens, they felt he was a better player in shorts than in pads...


                        he's just doing coach talk now as damage control bc he's his HC now. even now, its not like he's slobbing the guys knob. all he's saying is he'll have an opportunity to showcase his ability. thats not saying much at all.
                        I more or less agree with this. He's said he's excited to work with the guy and if he reaches his potential he can be a monster, but we all know that. Already he's saying that it's up to Vernon to reach that potential, so it seems like he's already giving himself an out. He's remained positive, but what is he supposed to do? Say that VG sucks and we drafted a bust last year and he's not even worth his time? Obviously he's excited to work with a guy that talented, because if he turns him around it's a great coaching job on his part.

                        At this point if he pans out Ryan is a hero and if he doesn't then he's just an athlete instead of a football player and we'll point to Tannebaum and Mangini for drafting a bust based on measurables who had a lot of bad tape despite his production. We'll see what happens, but I don't expect much. Would love to see it finally click though, because if he becomes a dominant pass rusher it takes our defense to the next level.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                          he specifically said when he was with the Ravens, they felt he was a better player in shorts than in pads...


                          he's just doing coach talk now as damage control bc he's his HC now. even now, its not like he's slobbing the guys knob. all he's saying is he'll have an opportunity to showcase his ability. thats not saying much at all.
                          Clearly he needs motivation, but to say he isn't enthused by him is false. This isn't a Mangini case where the guy's already in his doghouse. Project? Yes. But does he believe in him? I believe so.

                          But I guess I don't care that much either way since I feel that if Gholston busts, Rex will draft one nasty dude as an edge rusher.
                          Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

                          Comment


                          • It didn't matter last year with Gholston, whether he was trying to stop the run, sack the QB, or drop into coverage, he was lazy. He didn't put in maximum effort even when rushing the passer, which he should have been thrilled to do to prove he could at least do that. I don't blame his first season on Mangini, because Gholston didn't give him any other choice....he was terrible. The fact that Mangini was playing for the playoffs and as it turned out, he job, didn't give him any additional motivation to 'develop' Gholston. Mangini can't be given all that much blame here IMO as Gholston showed no passion, fire, or desire to be anything other than a bust.

                            To think i was excited when we got him.....boy was I wrong. The thought of someone like him, that big and powerful, to be able to send at the QB, i was excited. I didn't care about his coverage, i wanted him to rush the passer. He gave actually nothing, absolutely nothing, to be optimistic about.....and that hurts.


                            Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

                            Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                            You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

                            Comment


                            • I love that we signed Brannan Southerland after the draft, he was the best FB in the draft and went undrafted because well, there wasnt a single FB available


                              J-E-T-S

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Nj. View Post
                                I love that we signed Brannan Southerland after the draft, he was the best FB in the draft and went undrafted because well, there wasnt a single FB available
                                Practice squad guy and eventual replacement for the aging Tony Richardson?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information