Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braylon definitely has been huge at times and seems like he wants to be a Jet and can contribute in more facets...but it's tough for me to overlook the huge plays that Holmes has made at the end of games for this team. I also think his role as big bodied, possession oriented borderline #1/#2 wideout who can make some plays downfield is easier to replace than the speed Holmes brings to the table. I'm probably biased by the late game heroics and Braylon's drops, but those are a part of the equation, aren't they?

Revis and Aso would be awesome, I think Aso would be a big time upgrade over Cro, but whether or not it's worth doing depends on the difference in dollar amounts between the two of them. Harris is going to be interesting because I'm not sure how much of a priority position ILB is, but he's one of the best players on the defense. Great to have Revis, Brick, and Mangold locked up.

As for this game, I think the Steelers are a lot tougher to scheme against. I think stopping Mendenhall would be nice but isn't the major key. Probably the easiest thing to do to them offensively though. They have so much speed and athleticism at WR and Ben's so great at improvising and doing things when plays break down (which happens because he's so tough to bring down) that I wonder how much you can prepare to stop the passing game. I'd like to see Cro on Wallace again, and not a lot of zone looks which I think he'll absolutely tear up. Defensively they're obviously really, really good. Protecting Sanchez and giving him some confidence early with easy throws like last time will be keys. Running the football is definitely key, but that'll be tough too. After a few decent games so far offensively could be in for a really down game against the Steelers, hope it doesn't happen though. Wonder if they'll be riding too high after beating the Pats to really get up for this game. Then again I tend to be negative when it comes to the Jets.

Also, Tomlin had some nice comments about Rex. Said he really likes him and they operate similarly to the Jets, only don't talk as much to the media. One of my favorite HC's in the league, he seems like a really cool guy but a class act too, and obviously he does a good job there.

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
      I'm probably biased by the late game heroics and Braylon's drops, but those are a part of the equation, aren't they?
      Bray Bray has less drops than Tone this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by AHungryWalrus View Post
        Bray Bray has less drops than Tone this year.
        Perhaps, but he's got more of a history of drops. Holmes was coming in pretty cold a few weeks into the season and it took him awhile to get acclimated...same thing happened to Edwards last year only I think he was worse with the drops. I just think Edwards is the easier player to replace based on his role in the offense. So much of it is going to depend on cost too...and I do think Holmes really likes being a Jet too. We'll see how it plays out, it'd be nice to keep both because if not I think they'll have to bring in another WR, and obviously losing both would be crippling.

Comment

• The more i think about it the more i think it would be awesome to keep Holmes and Braylon. The chemistry they could develop with Sanchez over the years has the potential to be lethal. It would be great to get some continuity and familiarity going with this offense after having so many changes in Sanchez's first 2 years. Not to mention that they are both entering their primes. I also love how much they seem to enjoy being Jets and that could potentially help lead to a discount for us.

While Nnamdi would clearly be awesome, Cro has still had a good season and is 3 years younger. If he can stay motivated and healthy, I see no reason why he cant get even better in the coming years. Probably a little far-fetched, but its not unrealistic to think that Cro could be a top 3-5 CB in the future.

The bottom line IMO is that Holmes, Edwards and Cromartie are some of the most talented young players at their positions. Holding on to them and locking them up long-term would basically cement WR and CB for the next 5-7 years. I dont think that the opportunity to do something like that should be passed up

Sig by Me

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
            Perhaps, but he's got more of a history of drops. Holmes was coming in pretty cold a few weeks into the season and it took him awhile to get acclimated...same thing happened to Edwards last year only I think he was worse with the drops. I just think Edwards is the easier player to replace based on his role in the offense. So much of it is going to depend on cost too...and I do think Holmes really likes being a Jet too. We'll see how it plays out, it'd be nice to keep both because if not I think they'll have to bring in another WR, and obviously losing both would be crippling.
            I disagree that Braylon is easier to replace. You just wont find many players with his physical ability and talent. Take the play at the end of the Colts game for example. There are propably 5 guys in the entire league who can make that play as Sanchez throw was very high. Edwards numbers dont look spectacular (still very good) but in the end I think the Jets actually misused him for most of the year. He was mainly sent on go routes and deep patterns. But with his size and ability he can be dangerous in a lot more ways than this. Just take the first Pittsburgh game as an example.

Keeping both would be ideal but I think when it comes down to one, the FO will select Edwards. Just a gut feeling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flaming Mo View Post
              I disagree that Braylon is easier to replace. You just wont find many players with his physical ability and talent. Take the play at the end of the Colts game for example. There are propably 5 guys in the entire league who can make that play as Sanchez throw was very high. Edwards numbers dont look spectacular (still very good) but in the end I think the Jets actually misused him for most of the year. He was mainly sent on go routes and deep patterns. But with his size and ability he can be dangerous in a lot more ways than this. Just take the first Pittsburgh game as an example.

Keeping both would be ideal but I think when it comes down to one, the FO will select Edwards. Just a gut feeling.
              Note that I didn't say Braylon himself is easier to replace, but he's easier to replace based on his role in the offense. He's used as a big possession wideout for the most part who they take shots deep with the most part. That's easier to replace than what they have Holmes do stretching the field and making big plays. Obviously he's an incredibly special physical talent, but if they're going to continue to use him like they have he wouldn't be nearly as difficult to replace as if they used him to his full potential.

Comment

• Rex and the Jets have been pretty quiet this week. For some reason it makes me a little nervous.

Oh and Brad Smith is expected to play.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUSf5...layer_embedded

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post

Oh and Brad Smith is expected to play.
                    Brad Smith was a key piece in beating Pittsburgh last time. I really think it would be a huge loss if he didn't play this week.

Comment

• Kind of a different with not much talking but that's fine. Anything different would have looked phony as the Steelers and Jets don't really have a rivalry with each other. We can be sure though that both teams will be looking for blood tomorrow.

I think our offense will be just fine. Not only have the Jets played the Steelers already but they are more than capable of playing and winning cold weather games as proved in recent weeks. One of the most interesting battles should be our offensive line against their outstanding run defense. The Jets will run, even if they dont have any success early on. No matter how good the Steelers are, you cant come out and throw it all over the field. Do what you got you to the AFCCG. When the Jets pass, then I'm sure we will see a similar approach like we had in the regular season meeting. Move the pocket, bootlegs, quick slants and short throws. Cotchery and Keller will have to play well in order to keep the chains moving. This is the week though that the Jets truly can attack outside the numbers. Pittsburgh's corners are average at best (especially anybody not named Ike Taylor) and Edwards and Holmes should have a lot of ooportunities. The occasional shot down the field could mean the difference between winning and losing. LT should see a lot of action as a receiver and we should see quite a few screens in order to counter their tremendous pass rush. Brick and Hunter will have their hands full but they did terrific in the regular season meeting. What also works in the Jets favor is that Polamalu looks far from healthy. Many pick the Steelers because of him playing this time but when he continues to make as many mistakes as he did against the Ravens, then I have no problem seeing him back there.

All week long we heard how the key for the Jets defense is to keep Roethlisberger in check. While true it is not the same like in recent weeks where Manning and Brady really brought a fierce aerial attack to the contest. Broken plays here, toughness there - if the Jets defense plays well and up to their talent, then I dont see the Steelers putting up a lot of points. I expect Pittsburgh rely heavily on the run early as their offensive line is struggling and they will look to impose their will on the Jets. Pouha, Ellis, DeVito and the rest of the guys have to match that physicality and be as stout as they have been all season long. Teams usually dont run well on the Jets but this is also the first time in these playoffs that they actually face a power run game. They have to keep Mendenhall inside at all costs. It's gonna be interesting how the Jets decide to cover the Steelers receivers. Revis on Ward and Cromartie on Wallace for most of the game seems likely but I could also see Rex mixing his coverages up like crazy, just as he did in recent weeks. What the Jets have to account for is some kind of trick play, some kind of wrinkle at any point in the game. The Steelers will try an end around, a flea flicker or some stuff with Randle El and in what figures to be a tight game, the Jets have to be ready for that.

Special teams to me is a huge plus for the Jets. Both kickers are very shaky (Suisham is only 3 of 7 in the postseason and we all saw Folk last week) but we have a much better return game and coverage units. After last week's real bad outing and Rex calling the special teams out, I'm sure Westhoff will have these guys ready to play.

The last two games the Jets played as well on defense as they have all season and Ryan's gameplans against Indy and NE have been spectacular. Pittsburgh won't present as many formations as the Jets recent opponent but they will come at them with more physical force and strength than any team this year. The Jets have to be ready for that. Mistakes and turnovers havent been a problem in recent weeks and if the Jets continue to play mistake free football, then they have an outstanding chance of winning this game. Pittsburgh will commit a few blunders with their makeshift OLine, ultra aggressive corners and just average execution. If Baltimore would have just taken care of the ball, then we would be talking about Flacco, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed right now. If, if, if... in the end it just comes down to who will be better prepared and who wants it a little more. In NE the Jets looked like a team of destiny, let's hope we see the same group at Heinz Field tomorrow!

Comment

• Well that was a tough one to swallow. You just can't go down 24 and expect to win but we made it really close. We'll get there eventually.

Sanchez grew up in front of our eyes tonight. I have a lot of confidence in him going into next season.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Great game, ya'll. It was a great game to watch. Best of luck this offseason and the next season. Oh, and I still hate you guys for taking Revis from Pittsburgh. :p

Comment

• I honestly couldnt think of a worse way to lose. There is really no doubt in my mind that these jets were a better team than the steelers. They just didnt come to play today. It really just seemed like everything went against us this game. I really thought this was our year, easily the most painful loss I've witnessed in my life

Only positive i can take from this is that Sanchez will be an elite QB. I am 100% positive of that.

Sig by Me

Comment

• Schotty NEEDS to go. 3rd and 17 with a minute left, deep drop. WTF.

I'm too heartbroken to analyze further right now.

Comment

• At this point, I don't even care. This was a team that was built to win this year and not after this year IMO. The Jets don't have enough money to retain all of the people the Jets added last offseason.

In some cases, that might not be a bad thing. I still think the Jets receivers need to go. Yes they make big plays, but the do it incredibly inconsistently. Far too inconsistent given what they will likely be asking for.

People love to talk about how inaccurate Sanchez is, but how many of those incompletions this year were off the hands, jerseys and helmets of Jets players?

How many first downs or touchdowns do the Jets have to drop before people realize that the fault is not just with one player?

As for Schotty, the unwillingness to take even the smallest chances before there are no alternatives got old long ago. I'd love if the Jets got rid of him, but I already know they're not going to. I don't know why the Jets even bothered to get rid of Chad Pennington. He's the perfect quarterback for Schotty.

I certainly hope the Steelers running all over the Jets and Ben Roethlisberger escaping so much pressure in the first half made it perfectly crystal clear just how much the Jets need to address the front seven. The scheme allowed the Jets to get to Roethlisberger, but the lack of even an above average pass rusher also allowed him to escape regularly. This was a major need LAST year that was barely and completely inadequately addressed.

If it wasn't for that, the game wouldn't have gotten completely out of hand in the first half and the Jets could be going to the Superbowl now.

Instead, I see a team that's ready to take three steps back this off-season and will barely make the playoffs next year. :( :( :(

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information