This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
    I just checked out nyjetscap.com which supposedly keeps track of cap information for the Jets and seems to do a pretty good job of it. It appears that the Jets' current cap figure is somewhere in the ballpark of $118 million, which has to be way over whatever the cap next year would be I'd imagine, and that doesn't count any of the team's current FA's. .
    No WAY the cap goes under 120 million. It raised 12 million from 08 to 09 (to 128 million), and would have raised another 10 million or so to 140 million this year, had there been a cap. Even if the owners negotiate a smaller amount of the profits to go to players, the cap wouldn't be lowered, as profits this year are almost definitely up again.

A safe estimate for a floor, would be around 130 million, where we were at two years ago (roughly a $20 million dollar decrease from what it regularly would be this year, or about a 14% decrease.

Which would have us 12 million under the cap. Cutting Gholston wouldn't net us much cap room, however, so hopefully we can trade him for a 7th, as extremely unlikely as that is. I wouldnt be surprised to see him play out the contract here.

Woody will be gone, which will get us to about 15 million.

15 million could sign two guys out of Braylon, Harris, Cro, and Holmes, assuming no one takes a pay cut to stay. However, we'll also have draft picks to sign. *shrug*

Comment

• Originally posted by AHungryWalrus View Post
      No WAY the cap goes under 120 million. It raised 12 million from 08 to 09 (to 128 million), and would have raised another 10 million or so to 140 million this year, had there been a cap. Even if the owners negotiate a smaller amount of the profits to go to players, the cap wouldn't be lowered, as profits this year are almost definitely up again.

A safe estimate for a floor, would be around 130 million, where we were at two years ago (roughly a $20 million dollar decrease from what it regularly would be this year, or about a 14% decrease.

Which would have us 12 million under the cap. Cutting Gholston wouldn't net us much cap room, however, so hopefully we can trade him for a 7th, as extremely unlikely as that is. I wouldnt be surprised to see him play out the contract here.

Woody will be gone, which will get us to about 15 million.

15 million could sign two guys out of Braylon, Harris, Cro, and Holmes, assuming no one takes a pay cut to stay. However, we'll also have draft picks to sign. *shrug*
      My bad, I definitely intended to delete that and just forgot it. A little lower in my post is the same cap figure you reference, and in a different post I'm pretty sure I said I'd imagine it'll go up a little. It's been two years. I think they'll get more space than the $15 million given more than just Woody should get cut, Jenks at the very least will take a pay cut and then some other guys I referenced in that post. But I definitely meant to get rid of it as soon as I looked up the most recent cap number and saw where it was, the statement you quoted was absolutely wrong.

Comment

• Does anybody know if the teams are allowed to use the franchise tag?

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
          Does anybody know if the teams are allowed to use the franchise tag?
          They will be. In a couple days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
            Does anybody know if the teams are allowed to use the franchise tag?
            Apparently it's somewhat up in the air since the players are fighting it, but it seems likely. And if they are, the Jets are tagging Harris:

Interesting move, makes sense if it happens. Cro's easier to replace than Harris with Wilson waiting in the wings, and you figure you can re-sign at least one of the wide receivers.

Comment

• Yep, Derza, you're right. Smart move too.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2011/...n-david-harris

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• As the article said, it'd be great if they were able to re-sign him to a long term deal (it has to happen eventually anyway) and use the tag to gain flexibility somewhere else. If not though, I'll definitely take it. Also apparently there was a tweet from Cro that he wants to be back next year, and I still think Edwards and Holmes like being Jets. Doubt any of them take pay cuts, but it'd be nice to get a bit of a discount for one or two of them to stick around.

Comment

• http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ises-questions

Basically agree with everything that says

Sig by Me

Comment

• So given this team is a running based team, I wonder to an extent what happens at the RB position this offseason. While LT was great early, he obviously fell off big time later in the year and I wonder how much he can be trusted to perform next year. McKnight is a major question mark as well, and Greene fell off from where he was his rookie season when given a bigger workload, though I still like him a lot. Anybody else think somebody else comes in to take up some carries, and it might be a bit more of a priority than we expect right now?

Comment

• A lot of speculation and rumors about the Jets possibly being interested in Chad Johnson. What does everyone think about that?

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• To be completely honest, Chad's always one of those guys who's entertained me off the field. He's just goofy, he likes to have fun, and he's essentially harmless. He'd be hilarious with the NY media. On the field, I definitely have question marks. I've found a bit of a trend with him, he's really good one year, gets complacent the next offseason, puts up a bad year, everybody says he's done, he gets fired up and busts his ass, has a great year, and then gets lazy again. So, if that holds, he'd be due for a good year. But as hard as he works and as talented as he is he's not at all disciplined as a route runner, I think he ran a lot of wrong routes in Cincy the past few years, and I just don't think I'd want to bring him in to work with Sanchez honestly. Just don't think he's somebody I'd want a young quarterback developing with, but for a year if he's cheap it might be worth taking a flier.

Comment

• If we cant bring back Holmes and Braylon, CJ would be a good, cheaper alternative. Not that high on my wish list but i would understand the move

Sig by Me

Comment

• Yeah, if we lose either Holmes or Braylon, I would not mind bringing him in for a 1 year rental so it gives us some time to develop or draft a WR.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Another interesting name is Shaun Rogers. He was let go this week and obviously he would be a perfect fit in our D. It's no secret that Jenks might not be with us next year and while Pouha did a good job, we could use an upgrade at NT. I know it comes down to money and we have guys we have to take care of in-house first, but I would love to see Rogers a Jet.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• While we're going with players the Browns recently cut, ex-Jet Kenyon Coleman could be a cheap option as a rotational end. Not sure they actually think he fits the scheme since he got moved just about right when Ryan got here, but he's not a bad player. It'll be interesting to see how they build depth at various positions. Safety will be interesting too, I'd kind of like them to sign a guy on the cheap or draft someone in rounds 4-6 and have them compete with Lowery.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information