This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hcbrad08
    Actually our pass defense has some very mediocre statistics. We're ranked 14th in the NFL. And I have to reiterate what I said in that the reason that our secondary appears to be very average is because we are forced to blitz so many guys that they are constantly left on an island. Most of the 3-4 teams in the league have some type of elite pass rusher, we don't, and are forced to compensate by sending an inordinate amount of blitzers. Hobson and Thomas are both nice but there's always room for another rushbacker.

Thank you for agreeing on how awful the run defense is. this is an extension of a weak defensive line. The weakest link is clearly Kimo who pretty much gives up at least 5 yards every time someone runs at him. Hence an Adam Carriker or Ray McDonald type would be a great addition.

the thing about Okoye is that his strengths are not suited to be a NT. His talents are using his strength and speed to get penetration and making plays in the backfield. That's NOT what a NT in the 3-4 is supposed to do. It's all about getting leverage and holding up the point of attack. Another thing that Okoye struggles with.

Okoye gives the JETS options to move him or Robertson to DE in the 3-4. RDE and Kimo V. were our problem but we need a guy who like you said could play with leverage and get in the backfield. That said I don't think he'll be around where we pick. I think the OLB and the pass rusher pick argument are not that good. almost all of our sacks came from Hobson (olb) Thomas (olb) and Rhodes who Mangini uses in the "ROLE OF WILLIE MCGINEST" (he said that verbateum) except rhodes can cover as a safety in essence hes our blitzing OLB in certain cases. The Jets need and the top 3 can vary depending on who's avaibable...
    CB,DL,RB,OL(Xs 2),WR
    Hate to break it to you buddy, but Dewayne is not a DE. He isnt the size of a 3-4 Defensive End. I think that would be a horrible move. Dewayne was drafted for the 4-3 but did pretty well in the 3-4, but I just don't see it working out for him in the long run.

Now, I think Marshawn or Adrian (if he enters) is the guy we trade up for if we do it. Marshawn is going to be a great back, kinda like Maroney. Similar style and speed. He can cause a lot of confusion and could hit the hole fast and get out there very quick. Adrian is a great running back. He is going to be a back to wreckon wtih for years. I really believe that Adrian is the real deal. I liek Michael Bush a lot, but the injury makes me question whether he is worht the move or not. If we were able to get him in the 2nd or 3rd round if he fell that far, then id definately do it becuase we can use him. In the long run i dont think it is worth trading up for us inless we trade a player we dont need (McCareins). We can use a lot of upgrades and I dont believe it is worht trading picks for a pick.

Via BoneKrusher

Comment

• What do you guys think of this....

1st Round- Okoye for all the reasons mentioned above or take Syndey Rice who played in the SEC so we know he has the numbers against elite competition. He was the only playmaked on his team and constantly fought off double coverage. He would be a great addition.

Second round - CB McAuley (Fresno State): He is the shutdown corner we are missing. He is more highly rated coming out of college than Richard Marshall was last year, and Marshall had an awesome year with the Panthers. He is also bigger than Marshall. He would be a great complement to Dyson, and having Miller in nickel back would be fine

2nd round- FB Brian Leonard. Kevan Barlow said that this season his knee was not even close to being healthy and it felt like he was playing on one leg. I say we give him a chance to prove himself, and if he doesn't pan out then let leon and leonard be the one-two punch that was missing this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by juice1432
        What do you guys think of this....

1st Round- Okoye for all the reasons mentioned above or take Syndey Rice who played in the SEC so we know he has the numbers against elite competition. He was the only playmaked on his team and constantly fought off double coverage. He would be a great addition.

Second round - CB McAuley (Fresno State): He is the shutdown corner we are missing. He is more highly rated coming out of college than Richard Marshall was last year, and Marshall had an awesome year with the Panthers. He is also bigger than Marshall. He would be a great complement to Dyson, and having Miller in nickel back would be fine

2nd round- FB Brian Leonard. Kevan Barlow said that this season his knee was not even close to being healthy and it felt like he was playing on one leg. I say we give him a chance to prove himself, and if he doesn't pan out then let leon and leonard be the one-two punch that was missing this year.
        first off, welcome to NFLDC... i love the okoye, but i dont think we should go WR round 1. i think rice will be very good, but we have other more important needs to address than WR. so keep okoye as round 1. mccauley is great. we need a CB, and he is perfect. love that pick. i have been swaying back and forth on leonard, but id be moderately happy seeing him. 3/3, nice mock, just make sure that u leave rice out

sig by JETS5128

Comment

• Originally posted by nyjetsguy27
          Originally posted by juice1432
          What do you guys think of this....

first off, welcome to NFLDC... i love the okoye, but i dont think we should go WR round 1. i think rice will be very good, but we have other more important needs to address than WR. so keep okoye as round 1. mccauley is great. we need a CB, and he is perfect. love that pick. i have been swaying back and forth on leonard, but id be moderately happy seeing him. 3/3, nice mock, just make sure that u leave rice out
          its ok but unrealistic. Mccauley is prolly a first rounder and Leonard may not drop to the our second 2nd. I dont really like okoye, so if you move the other two picks up, and put someone else in the third slot, then it would be more realistic and id be pretty happy with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by hcbrad08
            Actually our pass defense has some very mediocre statistics. We're ranked 14th in the NFL. And I have to reiterate what I said in that the reason that our secondary appears to be very average is because we are forced to blitz so many guys that they are constantly left on an island. Most of the 3-4 teams in the league have some type of elite pass rusher, we don't, and are forced to compensate by sending an inordinate amount of blitzers. Hobson and Thomas are both nice but there's always room for another rushbacker.

Thank you for agreeing on how awful the run defense is. this is an extension of a weak defensive line. The weakest link is clearly Kimo who pretty much gives up at least 5 yards every time someone runs at him. Hence an Adam Carriker or Ray McDonald type would be a great addition.

the thing about Okoye is that his strengths are not suited to be a NT. His talents are using his strength and speed to get penetration and making plays in the backfield. That's NOT what a NT in the 3-4 is supposed to do. It's all about getting leverage and holding up the point of attack. Another thing that Okoye struggles with.

Okoye gives the JETS options to move him or Robertson to DE in the 3-4. RDE and Kimo V. were our problem but we need a guy who like you said could play with leverage and get in the backfield. That said I don't think he'll be around where we pick. I think the OLB and the pass rusher pick argument are not that good. almost all of our sacks came from Hobson (olb) Thomas (olb) and Rhodes who Mangini uses in the "ROLE OF WILLIE MCGINEST" (he said that verbateum) except rhodes can cover as a safety in essence hes our blitzing OLB in certain cases. The Jets need and the top 3 can vary depending on who's avaibable...
            CB,DL,RB,OL(Xs 2),WR
            yes, as I distinctly stated that Okoye would be a terrible option at NT, as he probably would be at DE in this defense.

And don't you find that some thing's a little bit wrong when your best option at pass rusher is a defensive back? Bryan Thomas is a very good player and Hobson is decent. And a defense certainly could get by with them. However if an opportunity should arise that a potentially elite rushbacker should fall into the Jets hands, not taking him would be foolish. Sometimes decent just isn't enough. the pass rush is one of the most important aspects of the NFL in this era. It's no mystery that every great defense has an elite pass rush, and in the 3-4 that comes from the linebackers.

And as you stated the number one absolute need is defensive line. This played the major role in a porous run defense with their mediocre play in the trenches. And since there is no real elite NT prospect this year, going for an end would be wise. One player that I really like is Ray McDonald from Florida.

The secondary is fine. We don't require our corners to play man to man downfield all the time. What they do is sit back in zone, tackle well, and make the necessary reads. We don't need these elite first rounders to do that. we need these blue collar guys from Oklahoma that know the system. Let's not forget that Mangini came from New england, and was famous for turning guys off the street into dependable players. Not because they had elite talent, but because they fit the system. Most teams in the NFL do this now. cornerbacks are very overrated, the only real shutdown cornerback in the NFL is Champ Bailey.

Comment

• Are any strong DT's available through free agency?

Comment

• I've figured it out, our biggest need is a true NT. Robertson wont cut it. Robertson, as a NT, delays a play. He will make a nice move to get in, take up blockers, but not finish his job. We need a guy that gets in and completely disrupts the play. A few times in the Jets Pats game I saw Robertson make some nice plays to get in, but then just flail at Corey Dillon, and missing. We need a guy we gets in and just wreaks havoc.

Comment

• maybe Dewayne can take a page out of Merrimans book and just juice and juice nad juice and juice and cylce that s*** for a year...

Via BoneKrusher

Comment

• People who would rather have Hunt/Bush over lynch are crazy.

Lynch is a FEATURE back. He can be a 20-25 carry a game player. It's alot better to have a feature back and a comlimentary back, then have 2 complimentray backs. Lynch is a gamebreaker plain and simple. He has loads of talent and could be a force, especially in our offense.

With that said i do not think the true problem is our Running backs. It's the offensive line. Even with mediocre backs, if the line is gashing open holes any RB can look like a pro-bowler. Leon, Kevan and Cedric had nowhere to go. There was no running room at all

Sig by Me

Comment

• Originally posted by JETS5128
                      People who would rather have Hunt/Bush over lynch are crazy.

Lynch is a FEATURE back. He can be a 20-25 carry a game player. It's alot better to have a feature back and a comlimentary back, then have 2 complimentray backs. Lynch is a gamebreaker plain and simple. He has loads of talent and could be a force, especially in our offense.

With that said i do not think the true problem is our Running backs. It's the offensive line. Even with mediocre backs, if the line is gashing open holes any RB can look like a pro-bowler. Leon, Kevan and Cedric had nowhere to go. There was no running room at all
                      I think the left side is very solid (including center) and Baker is also a good blocker, I think finding a good RB is a bigger problem, Curtis Martin seemed to find holes.

^^Sig From Nvot9
                      J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

Comment

Who said they preferred hunt/bush over Lynch? I think(i may be mistaken) that people are assuming that Lynch will be gone by our pick and are planning if Lynch isnt there.

Comment

• Exactly. I would LOVE to have AP or Lynch but I don't think it's possible with our pick. So, I would like hunt/bush because they would be available.

Comment

ok i definately agree. i think that lynch will be a great RB, and he will be a feature back. buttttttt he will probably be gone when we pick. so instead, ive been saying to go DL round 1 and RB and CB round 2. now if lynch is there round 1, logic tells you to take him. and wat u said about OL is absolutely insanely idiotic. the OL has been playing great all year long. mangold is already amazing, kendall has been amazing for years, dbrick was decent and will improve a lot with coaching (as do all OTs... its a position where some guys take years to blossom), moore did all right, baker is a good blocker, and clement is decent. the OL was good in run blocking and pass blocking basically all year. we need RB, DL, CB. thats it

sig by JETS5128

Comment

• Originally posted by throwback54milkman
                              Originally posted by JETS5128

I think the left side is very solid (including center) and Baker is also a good blocker, I think finding a good RB is a bigger problem, Curtis Martin seemed to find holes.
                              Curtis Martin had a very different line when he played. I think the line is the bigger need because if we have a line that gives a back huge holes we don't need a stud RB but if we have a stud RB and a subpar line he won't look very good running behind it. Look at Edge in Arizona...we need to build through the lines on both sides of the line. Unfortunately there isn't a true stud NT prospect in the draft which is our biggest need, but this year we should do what we can, and if a true legit first round 3-4 NT comes out next year we need to do EVERYTHING we can to get him.

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222
                                Originally posted by throwback54milkman
                                Originally posted by JETS5128

Curtis Martin had a very different line when he played. I think the line is the bigger need because if we have a line that gives a back huge holes we don't need a stud RB but if we have a stud RB and a subpar line he won't look very good running behind it. Look at Edge in Arizona...we need to build through the lines on both sides of the line. Unfortunately there isn't a true stud NT prospect in the draft which is our biggest need, but this year we should do what we can, and if a true legit first round 3-4 NT comes out next year we need to do EVERYTHING we can to get him.
                                wats with everyone's hatred of our current OL? dbrick kendall and mangold are all great. moore is decent. and yah clement is pretty bad. personally i feel that the line did well in pass protection and run blocking pretty much all year long. if u want an additional OT thats fine, but i think that bashing the current OL is pushing it. and even still, if u want to go OT, i think we should wait until at least day 2, becus we have other needs that are more important

sig by JETS5128

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information