Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like Kerley and the trade is fine. At the very worst he'll be a good return man.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• FWIW apparently Powell was on all ST units besides punt returns in college. Think the two guys they've taken so far will both see a lot of time on specials and can fill roles (taking up carries, slot WR) on offense if things pan out. Gives a bit of a higher floor for the picks, although more ceiling would've been nice - although if things break well and they're right on Powell I think he could start. Also think they like having the 7th's this year since you can't just sign UDFA's after the draft, they'll get a couple of guys who have a shot to make the roster. Hopefully we find a little more upside there. I'd like a pass rusher - either a productive guy in college or a tools guy, and a corner with some good tools as well. Wouldn't say no to a safety either if there's somebody they like.

Comment

• a lot of people say kerley is extremely versatile. maybe theyre trying to find insurance in case smith doesnt come back?
        Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• Originally posted by TimDris View Post
          a lot of people say kerley is extremely versatile. maybe theyre trying to find insurance in case smith doesnt come back?
          I'd guess Smith's going to want more money than they're willing to pay for a return guy, wildcat QB, and occasional slot WR, especially given there are so many free agents at other critical positions. Think Kerley's more replacement than insurance.

Comment

• McElroy's an interesting pick, thought they might take a QB. Interesting if they can turn him into a guy worth trading or if they think he's going to be a solid long-term backup.

Comment

• I'm fine with McElroy. Clemens is a free agent, Brunell is old and O'Connel is not any good. He is a smart guy and may be Sanchez's long term backup.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Last pick coming up, would like to see them take a bit more of a risk than the previous ones and go after a player with upside - pass rusher or a DB maybe. Could definitely see them going blocking TE or OL instead though.

Comment

• Good saftey's on the board in Deunta Williams, Joe Lefeged and Jerron Johnson. Would not mind going that route.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Scotty McKnight, WR from Colorado. I don't know much about him but I do know that he was a productive player in college.

Edit: Apparently he is Sanchez's best friend. njx also likes him.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Yeah I don't know a ton about McKnight either - did know that he and Sanchez were tight which makes the pick a little less appealing, just makes you wonder if that was a factor and they picked a guy more than just on the tape. Saw that some of the guys on the board like him, maybe he sticks as a slot guy, we'll see. Really can't say much one way or the other about him, but I hope it works out.

Comment

• Interesting thing, Tannenbaum gave a little insight into the drafting process when he talked about the move up for Kerley. Basically said that they have a list of 5 or 6 players every round they'd be happy to get, and the decision to move up for Kerley was because they went from that list being at 5 to 1 very quickly and had a ways to go before their pick so they felt they had to make a move to get him.

Looking at the players taken before Kerley you've got Denarius Moore, Dion Lewis, Jason Pinkston, Ahmad Black, and TJ Yates. Now after taking Powell I'd imagine they didn't want to take Lewis - but Moore, Pinkston, Black, and Yates (they did subscribe to that QB every year theory) all would have made some sense. Gives some insight - though it's very possible I missed on a couple of players there or somebody was picked a few slots earlier - into who they were targeting in the 5th round and what kinds of players they like to go after. Just thought it was interesting.

Comment

• All in all, I am very pleased with this draft. As I said before, the war is won in the trenches. Our d-line was upgraded significantly with Wilkerson & Ellis (IF his charges get lowered to probation or what not). They should make an immediate impact on our defense, including the pass rush.

Really like the Kerley pick in the 5th round. He will replace Smith and, based on what I hear, is a special teams ace. The Jets pride themselves on their special teams. We know it wins games. To have someone to come in with KR/PR as their bread & butter for a 5th round pick is good value.

The McKnight pick seems like, after reading his article online, a Sanchez influenced move. Not saying MT or Rex didn't do any homework on him, but I get that feeling. We'll see how it works out. Hopefully he'll be good value.

Now, if we could sign Joe Lefeged, it'll be a really great draft!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jersey/B View Post

Now, if we could sign Joe Lefeged, it'll be a really great draft!
                            I would love to have him and the Jets have shown in the past that they will sign guys out of Rutgers (Westerman, Renkart, Collins, Girault, and a few others).

Lefeged is talented enough to make the team and he is a fantastic special teamer.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• After letting the dust settle, i really have to say that i love what we did in this draft.

Wilkerson and Ellis both have the chance to be major contributors this year and solid starters for the next 10. Wilk, Ellis, Devito, Pouha, Ropati is a good D-line rotation. If we bring back Shaun Ellis then its a phenomenal rotation

The Powell pick shows that LT is going to be reduced to almost exclusively a 3rd down RB, which is a great idea IMO. The less work he receives the fresher and more effective he gets. Powell is similar to Greene (downhill, powerful, decisive runner) but he has more speed and quickness so i think they can compliment each other well. He still imposes his will on defenders and wears down defenses (something LT just cant do anymore)

The Kerley pick IMO means goodbye Brad Smith. I really have no problems with this as it gives us more money to pay Braylon and Holmes. There should be no dropoff on kick returns cuz Westhoff is a genius. Eventually i think Kerley also shows some potential as a slot receiver, more so than Smith.

Those were the big picks for me. McElroy will hopefully become a good back-up and friend for Sanchez and i really don know much about McKnight. If we hit on our first 4 tho nothing else really matters. Those are 4 pieces that will be contributors on this team for a long,long time

Sig by Me

Comment

• The lockout is lifted until June 3rd at the latest. Very good thing for these rookies who can get their hand on the playbook now, no matter what happens after.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information