This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
    I think the Jets did outplay the Pats and to be honest, Brady was awful but I just just hate seeing games end like that. It's a great rivalry and even if the Jets did deserve to win that game, I didn't want the game to end like that. Even though the correct call was made (and it's weak), I just rather have won without any "asterisks".
    I agree wholeheartedly with this post.

On a different topic, I'm still really happy with Marty Mornhinweg. Not a perfect offensive coordinator, but so much better than the Jets have had in a while. Thought the offensive gameplan between trying to target the bigger linebackers on the Pats in coverage and attempting to wear down their front was pretty solid.

He takes shots at the right points and the offense has been converting third downs at distances where they rarely converted with three downs to work with. I'm happy with how he uses players as well, think he's creative enough where if they take a talented offensive player without a clear cut role he'll actually find good ways to use them/get them the ball.

Comment

• Yeah, I really like Marty a lot. In the past on 3rd and 7, we run a draw from the shotgun and then punt. Now we're actually throwing the ball and converting. It's beautiful.

My only complaint with him is all of these FB dives with Bohanon. Other than that, I'm thrilled with Marty.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Im still not sure why Powell wasn't used at all. Ive heard nothing abotu him suffering an injury. It certainly seemed like he was with all the Ivory usage and even a few carries for bohanon
        Last edited by josh07039; 10-21-2013, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• TE-

I think Jets are sitting at right spot for TE Eric Ebron. However, he is too athletic to be doing a blocking assignment and what if Smith and Ebron don't click together as Ebron does share some simple dropsies. Ebron can be a waste of pick in the 1st round.

Should Jets go ahead and gamble on Ebron's service as Best Offensive Player Available?

I probably pass on Ebron for either Richard Rodgers, Ted Bolser, or Crockett Gillmore for better value. I will keep eyes on Allen Robinson (if forgo) and Jordan Matthews for acceptable speed so Jets could take a WR instead of Ebron in the first round.

Or Jets should use the same group of TE for one more season.

Comment

• WR-

There are always dozen of savvy WR prospects but not every WR can contribute right away. I like Allen Robinson and Jordan Matthews the best. Sammy Watkins is next.

Unless Mike Evans shows some speed at the combine, I think I rather to have David Nelson. Evans may be a better WR than Nelson but for number 2 spot, we should not bother to use 1st round WR to upgrade Nelson.

Nelson and Kerley earn Smith's confidence but neither is number one WR so Jets need to find a WR that is much different from Nelson and Kerley. That is why Robinson, Matthews or Watkins are better choice than Evans.

If Jets decide to go defense again then Jared Abbrederis is our last hope in 2nd round. Jeff Janis, Ryan Grant, Josh Huff or Eric Ward could be a solid pick. Last two WRs would force Kerley to play on outside. Good Idea? I am not sure. Just please don't be stupid and take one of aforementioned first 2 round WRs.

Comment

• Any thoughts on possibly drafting Jace Amaro or Austin Seferian-Jenkins?

Comment

• The tight end position is going to be an interesting one this offseason. I think they basically have to sign a guy they're comfortable with holding the fort, and then draft someone at some point. Would be too risky to assume they're going to get someone to start in the draft and could force them to reach. I'd like to see Cumberland back but wouldn't mind Winslow or a Kellen Davis type as more of a blocker. Think next year's group should be vet/rookie/Sudfeld, and Sudfeld's size/upside gives some flexibility as to what to do with the draft pick if they miss on a guy early. Maybe draft more of a blocker, or a less conventional TE like Gator Hoskins who can make an impact in the passing game as a move guy.

As for Amaro/ASJ, I think Amaro's going to be a first round pick if he declares (I thought I read he was leaning towards not declaring) and ASJ will likely land in the second. When I watched Amaro early in the year he looked like a jumbo slot receiver, not really a classic in line TE. As far as ASJ goes, I need to watch more of him but he had a down year, has some off the field stuff (a DUI), and though he's generally talented he's not a physical freak either which is why I think he lands in the second.

What I can't get a handle on is what kind of TE they want in this offense. I think last year Travis Kelce was a guy there were a lot of rumors the Jets liked as more of a classic in line guy who was a really good blocker but could move well for his size and could catch passes. That kind of fits what Mornhinweg had in Philly in the past, but I don't know if that was more his preference or Reid.

If that's what the Jets are looking for, I think the options become a bit limited. Amaro could be that guy down the road, but certainly needs work as a blocker and I'd imagine if you take a guy that early you want him starting. I think ASJ could be that guy early on (though I need to focus on his blocking a little more, supposedly he's improved a lot), but I'd guess he goes earlier in the second than where they pick and they don't move up. Think he's a good option if he's there in the second though. Ebron I liked as a blocker, though I've seen people kind of question him there. I thought he was really tough and did a good job, lack of ideal bulk but maybe playing DE some earlier in his career helped him there. He seemed pretty good to me. Between that and his athleticism, I think he's the top option after some high level looks at all of them.

After all of that, ultimately the offense needs a guy defenses NEED to account for. It's been a while since the Jets had that in an every down guy, maybe Holmes his one good year here or Edwards, but I'm not really sure I think they just complemented each other well. And I think Mornhinweg is the kind of OC who can adapt to his talent, so if they think Amaro is the best weapon of the TE's I think it's pretty easy to justify going that route instead of taking a guy who's a better blocker.

I'm hoping they go WR/TE in some order in the first two rounds, unless they go WR in the first and the TE value isn't there in the second. The passing game needs some life.

Comment

• Also we need eyes on LSU WRs. Mettenberger possesses a powerful arm strength so WRs could handle Smith's tight spiral football.

Amaro is an oversize joker which is out of question for MM. Unfortunately, his hands are softer than Cumberland who showed some improvement in blocking assignment.

I will need to watch Jenkins' game speed alone and 40 time dash. I don't want to spend too high on a just blocker. He is a solid red zone target but play scheme will make any TE useful anyway.

Jets could get Jenkins in 2nd if they get WR in the 1st round. Skip Jenkins if Jets get non WR in 1st round.

If Howard is not coming back then taking OT like Hurst, Richardson or Collin in 2nd round is not a bad idea.

Jenkins is falling into a "wait and see" music, I suppose.

Comment

• Bucs clean up the house once again. Revis situation?

I am all for either one

1- Bucs retain Revis so Jets get 3rd round pick.
                    2- Re-sign Revis and cut Cromartie.

Comment

• Originally posted by YotoJets007 View Post
                      Bucs clean up the house once again. Revis situation?

I am all for either one

1- Bucs retain Revis so Jets get 3rd round pick.
                      2- Re-sign Revis and cut Cromartie.

That would be a tough one for me to ponder. Cromartie had a down year, but I really think it was because he was playing with a hip injury and I do think he will be able to bounce back next year.

But on the other hand..... Revis. While he was a Jet, he was the best cornerback in the league, shut down pro bowl receiver after pro bowl receiver after pro bowl receiver and best of all, he was entertaining to watch. Like a master artisan of cornerbacking.

The Jets clearly can't keep both when Milliner was looking like he was finally catching on the last two to three games. Thinking about that, I think I was expecting too much from him early on. He was after all a rookie.
                      Last edited by Crickett; 12-30-2013, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• Speaking of the LSU WR's, I was really impressed by Odell Beckham Jr. when I watched him. Explosive, seemed to separate easily, caught the ball away from his body, able to go up and get it too. Think he'd be a great fit, would be thrilled with him in the second if he declares and they don't go WR in the first.

Brandin Cooks is another likely day 2 guy I'd like to watch more of.

Comment

• If Dennis Thurman is out then I am pretty sure Idzik will want an experienced DC.

John Marshall? He fits Ryan's style of aggressive and strength but he was terrible at points allowed. It probably was because of misfit players Al Davis drooled over for just athleticism. 3 years managing UFL team now. He is a freaking old man. Scratch.

Mel Tucker? He is a failure when he ran 4-3 formation but he looked good when he handled 3-4 for Romeo Crennel. Not sure if it was Crennel that called game but he is all about discipline and tapping on talents well. Tired of stupid penalty? Hire him once Bears dump him.

Pepper Johnson and Ken Norton Jr. are inexperienced ones. That sucks.

That's all I have known of so far. Pathetic.

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                            Speaking of the LSU WR's, I was really impressed by Odell Beckham Jr. when I watched him. Explosive, seemed to separate easily, caught the ball away from his body, able to go up and get it too. Think he'd be a great fit, would be thrilled with him in the second if he declares and they don't go WR in the first.

Brandin Cooks is another likely day 2 guy I'd like to watch more of.

Right there will get him into 1st round. I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by YotoJets007 View Post
                              Right there will get him into 1st round. I think.
                              Maybe, and I'm not sure I'd be disappointed with the Jets taking him in the first frankly with them as far back as 18. There's a whole lot of potential first round guys right now though. If QB's go early that'll continue to push WR's back, and a bunch of guys have more hype (though I don't necessarily like them more). In this draft with the depth he'll need to measure and run well to land in the first despite his year of good tape. Not sure coming in sub 6' and running in the mid 4.4's gets him there without multiple years of huge numbers in a small class. I think there's some injury questions too, but I thought he looked really, really good when I watched him.

That's an interesting position. Guys like Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin are probably good fits for Geno Smith, but maybe not great fits for Marty Mornhinweg's scheme. I liked Evans significantly more than Benjamin at a first look, though. But to me the Beckham Jr. types are the ones who really fit what I envision a WR in Mornhinweg's scheme looking like.

Comment

• Jets extend Ryan's contract thru 2015.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information