This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nyjetsguy27
    the real question is why does everyone (including scott) want an OLB so much?!?! we have 4 LBs that are all great, 1 or 2 that are amazing. i keep hearing people talk about drafting these DE/OLB tweeners to be pass rushing OLBs. i think that is 100% dumb. if you want to go for a DE thats a 3-4 player thats massive and a hole clogger thats perfect, but please dont tell me we need these jarvis moss type pass rushing LBs.
    I think that's exactly what we need. Bottom line, we had NO pass rush this year when we needed it. No matter how good our LBs are on paper, it shouldn't matter, because the facts are just blatantly obvious. Now I do agree that most of that is on the defensive line's lack of penetration. So I would agree that a 3-4 DE and NT is probably our biggest need on defense. However to say that a situational pass rusher and someone who can consistently get to the QB is not a need is just rediculous. That need can be adressed later in the draft, though. Just look at Mark Anderson of the Bears. They hads their LBs set already, but they got a great late round steal in Anderson, a guy who can come in and consistently pressure the QB in passing situations. So I think our top needs are still on the D-line, but if no elite 3-4 D-line talent, CB, Blaylock, or an elite RB (basically only Lynch and Peterson, but they should both be long gone by our pick) falls to us, I wouldn't mind getting the best available 3-4 pass-rushing OLB by any means. So I really think Moss would help our team a lot. And that ends my rant...

DChess...youre the man!

Comment

the real question is why does everyone (including scott) want an OLB so much?!?! we have 4 LBs that are all great, 1 or 2 that are amazing. i keep hearing people talk about drafting these DE/OLB tweeners to be pass rushing OLBs. i think that is 100% dumb. if you want to go for a DE thats a 3-4 player thats massive and a hole clogger thats perfect, but please dont tell me we need these jarvis moss type pass rushing LBs.
      great???? we have four linebackers that are decent. Our pass rush this season has been very mediocre, to pass on an elite pass rush prospect should one fall into our hands.

Pass rush is everything in today's NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by throwback54milkman
        Originally posted by nyjetsguy27
        because what if we found the next Shawne Merriman, Demarcus Ware, Joey Porter, Roosey Colvin, etc. type player- Bryan Thomas is that type but Victor Hobson certainly isn't- our pass rush really wasn't that good last year-- i agree a big DE would help too.
        Man, lol while I was typing my whole big shebang you basically summed it up in a few words.

DChess...youre the man!

Comment

• We can't just have Kerry Rhodes blitz every play because thats foolish. And as you guys named before, you need a guy who has speed and strength to be OLB in the 3-4. Im starting now to regreat what I was saying about Jarvis Moss. I think he would be a good pick and exciting at that. Florida produces a lot of good guys, this year primarily defense. If we can get one of their monster D-lineman that would be good. So, for all the people out there im sorry I was a fool and said that we shouldn't draft Moss.

Now, my question is if it came down to the following three, who would you select?

Brian Leonard
          Michael Bush
          Kenny Irons

I believe that Leonard fits best with the team. He is a great guy and a leader, I want him but what do you think?

Via BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Young Nasty Man
            We can't just have Kerry Rhodes blitz every play because thats foolish. And as you guys named before, you need a guy who has speed and strength to be OLB in the 3-4. Im starting now to regreat what I was saying about Jarvis Moss. I think he would be a good pick and exciting at that. Florida produces a lot of good guys, this year primarily defense. If we can get one of their monster D-lineman that would be good. So, for all the people out there im sorry I was a fool and said that we shouldn't draft Moss.

Now, my question is if it came down to the following three, who would you select?

Brian Leonard
            Michael Bush
            Kenny Irons

I believe that Leonard fits best with the team. He is a great guy and a leader, I want him but what do you think?
            Biggest upside (or at least as a pure HB)=by far Michael Bush. But because of the injury risk I think I'd want Leonard. Plus, Leonard would not only be a great compliment to Leon but he's a great blocker and also could add a lot to the passing game. He also is a very Mangini-type player, someone who does whatever it takes to win, works hard, and fills many roles. I think Irons could be a great "grind it out" power type back, but with the nagging injury problems (and lack of consistensy because of them), could he handle the load inside at the next level? That question scares me in the long run for Irons.

DChess...youre the man!

Comment

• Originally posted by Young Nasty Man
              We can't just have Kerry Rhodes blitz every play because thats foolish. And as you guys named before, you need a guy who has speed and strength to be OLB in the 3-4. Im starting now to regreat what I was saying about Jarvis Moss. I think he would be a good pick and exciting at that. Florida produces a lot of good guys, this year primarily defense. If we can get one of their monster D-lineman that would be good. So, for all the people out there im sorry I was a fool and said that we shouldn't draft Moss.

Brian Leonard
              Michael Bush
              Kenny Irons

Michael Turner

Out of those 3, Bush has the most potential, but Leonard would also be good (remember Pennington used to throw to the FB a lot (Richie Anderson))

A great draft would be:

Blaylock
              Jarvis Moss
              Brian Leonard

If we go O-Line first round we can afford to have a "threat" as FB because he wouldn't need to block as much.

^^Sig From Nvot9
              J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

Comment

Originally posted by Young Nasty Man

Brian Leonard
                Michael Bush
                Kenny Irons

Michael Turner

Out of those 3, Bush has the most potential, but Leonard would also be good (remember Pennington used to throw to the FB a lot (Richie Anderson))

A great draft would be:

Blaylock
                Jarvis Moss
                Brian Leonard

If we go O-Line first round we can afford to have a "threat" as FB because he wouldn't need to block as much.
                54milkman, we've been on the same page the last few posts. I agree with what you said.

DChess...youre the man!

Comment

• i still dont think that LB is what hurts our pass rush. in the 3-4, the DL is supposed to take up all 5 blockers, freeing up the LBs to roam around the field. they should be able to pass rush, drop back into coverage, shut down the run, everything. but when you have a DL like ours where all 3 guys get pushed back every down, you can have four ray lewises at LB and there still would be no pass rush. i think it would be nice to see a bigtime pass rushing LB taken, but only if we address DL as well, and only if no one else slips to us. if blaylock, a bigtime RB, a bigtime CB, or a bigtime DL slips to us round 1 or 2, then we have to go with that. if none of our targeted guys slips to us in round 1 or 2, then sure go with a passrushing OLB.

sig by JETS5128

Comment

i still dont think that LB is what hurts our pass rush. in the 3-4, the DL is supposed to take up all 5 blockers, freeing up the LBs to roam around the field. they should be able to pass rush, drop back into coverage, shut down the run, everything. but when you have a DL like ours where all 3 guys get pushed back every down, you can have four ray lewises at LB and there still would be no pass rush. i think it would be nice to see a bigtime pass rushing LB taken, but only if we address DL as well, and only if no one else slips to us. if blaylock, a bigtime RB, a bigtime CB, or a bigtime DL slips to us round 1 or 2, then we have to go with that. if none of our targeted guys slips to us in round 1 or 2, then sure go with a passrushing OLB.
                    so who is the ideal guy for this?

^^Sig From Nvot9
                    J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

Comment

Originally posted by nyjetsguy27
                      i still dont think that LB is what hurts our pass rush. in the 3-4, the DL is supposed to take up all 5 blockers, freeing up the LBs to roam around the field. they should be able to pass rush, drop back into coverage, shut down the run, everything. but when you have a DL like ours where all 3 guys get pushed back every down, you can have four ray lewises at LB and there still would be no pass rush. i think it would be nice to see a bigtime pass rushing LB taken, but only if we address DL as well, and only if no one else slips to us. if blaylock, a bigtime RB, a bigtime CB, or a bigtime DL slips to us round 1 or 2, then we have to go with that. if none of our targeted guys slips to us in round 1 or 2, then sure go with a passrushing OLB.
                      so who is the ideal guy for this?
                      my order of preferance for round 1 goes blalock and then carriker. id rather wait until round 2 to get a RB, probably bush. carriker alone would fix 1/3 of the DL problems, and would definately make an impact

sig by JETS5128

Comment

Originally posted by Young Nasty Man

Brian Leonard
                        Michael Bush
                        Kenny Irons

Michael Turner

A great draft would be:

Blaylock
                        Jarvis Moss
                        Brian Leonard

Milkman I have a quesiton and its not to be sarcastic but may come out that way. Do you think its possible to get Blaylock, Moss, and Leonard?? I mean look, that would be unreal and I would definately cream my pants. We first need Blaylock to fall, which could possibly happen. After that I can see Moss falling to us becuase a lot of offensive guys are going to go. The only question is Leonard. I think he is highly rated and teams may jump on him. But if it happens that would be incredible. You can see how great we can be in the future............

Ferguson
                        Kendall
                        Mangold
                        Blaylock
                        Clement

Turner/Leon/
                        Leonard

our backfield has a combination of power and speed...thats what I call nasty....

Via BoneKrusher

Comment

• i would love the jets to go:

1-blaylock
                          2a-carriker
                          2b-bush

all 3 guys are possible reaches. tell me if you think that they will be on the board when we pick, and if you like all of them

sig by JETS5128

Comment

i would love the jets to go:

1-blaylock
                            2a-carriker
                            2b-bush

all 3 guys are possible reaches. tell me if you think that they will be on the board when we pick, and if you like all of them
                            It's a question mark on weather Blaylock is there, but I damn hope he is. Carriker will be around by then, I don't know about Bush though. That would be an outstanding draft.

Comment

• I highly highly doubt the Jets will go for o-linemen with 3 straight first round picks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zim3031
                                I highly highly doubt the Jets will go for o-linemen with 3 straight first round picks.
                                Why?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information