New York Jets Discussion

Discuss the Jets here.

• thetedginnshow
    replied
    Oh man! This is here! And I'm back!

Leave a comment:

• YotoJets007
    replied
    I believe I am only a true Jet fan here. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• YotoJets007
    replied
    Half back role could be used for Saxton but he will need to beat out either Sudfeld or Cumberland or Davis to make a spot. Davis is an experienced blocker but is replaceable. Sudfeld and Cumberland have to prove they are more than capable of inline blocking because they won't beat Saxton in hands race.

Don't forget about Gailey going after fans to protect his starting qb Trent Edwards in Buffalo. Edwards lost the job later so it is real good test for Smith.

Leave a comment:

• derza222
    replied
    Geno being the starter is interesting. Hopefully it works out. Obviously more upside with him than Fitzpatrick. Curious to see how short the hook is coming the regular season.

Would like it if the Jets can come to terms with Wilkerson - particularly as he's entering his prime. They certainly have leverage through. Two first round picks is a price I wouldn't expect them to get but that's about the only way I'd be okay with it, and even then it would be bittersweet.

I think Saxton probably has the best shot. Would be nice if he can show some versatility to play a little FB and save a roster spot. Other TE's on the team too tall to play FB I think and Bohanan would probably be a waste unless he's good on specials. Which, frankly, is what it could come down to for a lot of the UDFA's.

Leave a comment:

• YotoJets007
    replied
    Geno Smith is clearly a starter. Good for him.

Wilkerson's holdout becomes upsetting but he will have to report to the training camp otherwise he loses money. With Leonard aboard, Jets have no reason to fight with Wilkerson. Hopefully, Jets find a partner that willingly give up 2 first round picks or equivalent for him if trade is in place.

What do you think of "2015's Power of Undraftees". It features FS Durell Eskridge, OLB Deion Barnes and ILB Taiwan Jones. Jones may deal with impossible task because Jets already have durable David Harris and playmaker Demario Davis. Maybe switching to TE Wes Saxton as he could fit in Gailey's aggressive spread offense. ummm!

Leave a comment:

• YotoJets007
    replied
    God Damn It!

Danny Langsdorf went to the Cornhuskiers as Mike Reily's OC. Blast!

Leave a comment:

• YotoJets007
    replied
    It would be hilarious if Jameis Winston returns and Cook holds the decision.

Brett Hundley, Garrett Grayson and Bruce Petty to be overdrafted?

If Winston and Cook declare to go pro before Jets have head coach hired then it has to be Norv Turner with Geep Chryst or Chad Chudzinski at OC. They will have plenty of good options to resolve qb woe.

Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston and Connor Cook have to be graded much better than either Alex Smith or Teddy Bridgewater, both who Turner was able to coach up to NFL level in no time. By this, I don't mean an elite level but just good enough to get excited about offense.

Also, Jets could have trade options like Ryan Griffin, 2 years practicing Coryell offense and Mike Glennon.

If Turner insisted he could make out of Brian Hoyer then Brandon Bridge or Mike Perish could be in for a development project.

If turning around the offense in no time is the priority then Jets should stop searching further and hire Norv Turner.

Shall we encourage Winston and Cook to forgo their remaining eligibility for pro?
    Last edited by YotoJets007; 01-02-2015, 09:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• YotoJets007
    replied
    I could not care what people have been detracting Doug Marrone.

Marrone left Bills because of Whaley who screwed Marrone's progression by drafting EJ Manuel and signing Orton in back to back off-seasons. Marrone managed to get Bills back to playoff contention with Orton. If He stayed with Manuel, Bills would finish at about same record as Jets. The way Marrone handled Bills is very Bill Cowher style.

To hire Marrone, Jets have to have right GM to work with him. Get him right talents for his base system. So far, three GM candidates are connected with Marrone but they never been altogether when it comes to playing power.

Big concern on Marrone vs Jets climate is offense. Marrone brought his man Haskett with him to Buffalo because Bills already had best RB tandem in NFL as Marrone planned to bring passing offense into balance slowly. Usually, the offense finally unleashes after 2 years with same quarterback. In Marrone's case with Bills, he had wrong quarterback. Wrong quarterback can lead head coach to the sewer frequently in NFL. Now, Jets have no QB and RB so how will Marrone to fix this problem for a quick result that would pleasure NY/NJ fans. Boring and conservative offense will tick fans off rapidly. This will be good enough to make fans buy a bunch of billboard rights. Will Johnson stay strong and ignore fans' whining in favor of his buddy system with Marrone to complete 3 or 4 year progression.

I have no problem with Marrone alienating players because many players, in fact, are assholes. I don't waste my time to side to what I believe in but in NY/NJ territory, alienating players may not be a good idea. The voice community there is so powerful. So if his comparison to Tom Coughlin is true then he needs to study Coughlin diligently in order to improving his chance to succeed his job with Jets. Be careful with how far he tones down because Coughlin lost some good disciplinarian traits when he toned down.

Bottom line is Marrone is as a risk move as every hot candidate without head coaching background. As long as Marrone set up a good framework before adding boards and coloring exotically, I am down but I don't think most of fans are.

Leave a comment:

• derza222
    replied
    I think those guys would be more interchangeable than you're giving them credit for - but I also think we're agreeing that he shouldn't be in play at six.

A traditional free safety would be great, but those guys are really tough to find and at this point I think teams are mostly looking for guys who can play near the LOS and deep when asked. Think Pryor can do that though he's better in the box (and most who come out are).

Would be nice to find a decent safety to pair with Pryor assuming he's able to progress, but not at 6 this year.

Leave a comment:

• thetedginnshow
    replied
    Originally posted by derza222 View Post
    Mental aspect of things is key as a safety, but I think the great ones are sharp and freak athletes. Not sure Collins is at that level though. I'm thinking somebody a-la the late Sean Taylor, if we were talking that kind of a safety prospect I'd be all over it.

Not sure how I feel about Marrone. I tend to like coaches who are aggressive philisophically, he seems to be the opposite.
    Haha again, I'm not saying Landon Collins is a bad prospect at all. I'm just saying skill set wise he doesn't mesh well with Pryor and by extension all of our other safeties. So it would pretty much be giving up on Pryor because you couldn't play them together. With a pick that high that just seems like a waste to me, especially when we aren't talking about a transcendent talent and need to desperately fix the front seven among other things.

Leave a comment:

• gpngc
    replied
    Marrone did a pretty good job with the Bills.

The fact that he left like he did last night makes it seem like he's gunning for the Jets.

Leave a comment:

• derza222
    replied
    Mental aspect of things is key as a safety, but I think the great ones are sharp and freak athletes. Not sure Collins is at that level though. I'm thinking somebody a-la the late Sean Taylor, if we were talking that kind of a safety prospect I'd be all over it.

Not sure how I feel about Marrone. I tend to like coaches who are aggressive philisophically, he seems to be the opposite.

Leave a comment:

• thetedginnshow
    replied
    Also Marrone and Quinn have been coaches in our building before. If anyone knows how they are it's probably us.

Leave a comment:

• thetedginnshow
    replied
    Safety is all about what you have mentally. I don't want to knock Collins because I thought he was better than Pryor and them even last year but I'm just saying that now that you've wasted a pick on Pryor unless you are just going to cut him or whatever they won't mesh well together at all. Landon is better in most every way from Pryor but doesn't help the Jets with their coverage weaknesses.

I'll have to look but I don't know if I'll be able to find an article on the Bowles thing. I saw it in brought up multiple times before though.

I would love Coates or Parker. Since we could very easily trade down I wouldn't rule out either as potential candidates. Either would make great compliments to our guys. I think Coates is a bit more of a mismatch and Parker the better receiver.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information