Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thank god for Michael Huff moving to FS...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
    My only point is that in college, Huff was rarely ever a centerfielder and he was never much of an interception threat. Most of his big plays came in tight coverage within the first ten yards or breaking up option plays in the backfield. Obviously, once the guys got bigger and faster he couldn't do the same sort of thing, so the move will be good for him. But the best thing he's done to date is cover tight ends, which he won't be able to do as a free safety.

I think the Wilson signing may pose more benefit for Huff than any other move Oakland could have made, but I want to see Huff take that centerfield role and make it his, because I have no memory of him every being asked to do it before.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqLYSTKcmXs

Notice at 27 seconds, 56 secs, 1:16(especially here shows how great he is in open space) for a few of the plays where he was lined up as the centerfielder, he was a much better tackler then Griffin was an I agree majority of his plays were made up close, but he still made alot of plays sitting back deep or covering a corner...He was a guy who was considered a S/CB tweener coming out so obviously you wan't to put him in more situations where he can cover more and still come up and make plays...Just because he made alo of plays close to the LOS doesn't mean he lined up there to start every play, that highlight tape highlights him before alot of plays so you can see where he was lined up at so you get a better feel...It's not like it will be a bad thing having a FS who can come up and support the run, but either way the SS role in Oakland is alot different then what he was doing at Texas.

He had more freedom in our defense which is why I say "centerfielder", he would sit back alot of plays, read and react and come up to make the play...His last year he had 5 INT's and two returned for TD's, which is pretty good considering Phillips had 6 this year and how many plays he made in the backfield to go along with it...I believe he should of been a FS all along, he has the frame, speed, and instincts to play it, putting him at SS isn't giving him the same type of freedom to roam as he did his senior season, even if you don't want to call it the centerfielder.
    Last edited by LonghornsLegend; 05-26-2008, 03:00 AM.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

DeAngelo Hall, Nnamdi Asomugha, Gibril Wilson, Michael Huff

Wow.

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

Originally posted by Sveen View Post
        DeAngelo Hall, Nnamdi Asomugha, Gibril Wilson, Michael Huff

Wow.
        cant wait for madden 09 to come out. defence is going to be nasty, plus my running game is gonna get 2x better with Run DMC and then walker will help me alot.

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
        @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqLYSTKcmXs

He had more freedom in our defense which is why I say "centerfielder", he would sit back alot of plays, read and react and come up to make the play...His last year he had 5 INT's and two returned for TD's, which is pretty good considering Phillips had 6 this year and how many plays he made in the backfield to go along with it...I believe he should of been a FS all along, he has the frame, speed, and instincts to play it, putting him at SS isn't giving him the same type of freedom to roam as he did his senior season, even if you don't want to call it the centerfielder.
          Nice vid.
          Stu was playing the centerfielder role. And thats the role that Huff will most likely be playing this year.
          "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
            ...words...
            Oakland's strong safety position actually isn't all that different than the role Huff had at Texas, he just came to realization that NFL players weren't going down like they had in college and became a lot less aggressive.

The role he'll be asked to play, Stuart Schwiegert's role the last few years, is a real centerfielder role, which is way different than what he did at Texas. He's going to be relied as the guy making the deep open field tackles (something that Stu was exposed as not being all that great at), and he'll have to play deep zone coverage more often than not.

I'm not sure your numbers are correct. Last time I checked, Huff had only 2 interceptions his senior campaign, and only totaled 8 during his college career. Juxtapose this with Ed Reed's college career at Miami (since Huff was compared to Reed a lot), where he posted 21 interceptions. Huff has never really been a great ballhawk except when playing tight man coverage, which won't be helped by playing free safety. I still think he might end up being the best fit at cornerback.

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information