Raiders Talking To Johnson, Russell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raiders Talking To Johnson, Russell

Somebody over at the thenflforums found this on PFT, thought i'd post it in here too:

POSTED 11:26 a.m. EDT, UPDATED 11:54 a.m. EDT, April 19, 2007

RAIDERS TALKING TO JOHNSON, RUSSELL

A league source tells us that the Oakland Raiders have begun preliminary contract negotiations with quarterback JaMarcus Russell and receiver Calvin Johnson.

Because the Raiders own the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, they are free to talk to any, some, or all of the potential draft picks about a contract, and are free to strike a deal.

Last year, the Texans negotiated with defensive end Mario Williams and running back Reggie Bush, reaching an agreement with Williams on the eve of the draft.

It is widely believed that the Raiders will pick either Russell or Johnson, unless they trade the selection. Some fear that the selection of Russell at No. 1 overall is a recipe for disaster, since the Raiders will be pressured to play Russell prematurely. If he is harassed in the pocket behind a bad line and loses confidence, he could end up in a funk from which he never recovers.

But it's also believed that Russell will be more likely to blink and do a bad deal, since if he's not picked No. 1 he might not be picked No. 2. Or No. 3. Or No. 4. Or No. 5. Or No. 6.

For Johnson, if he's not the No. 1 pick, he'll most likely be the No. 2.

Usually quarterbacks get a mark-up as Top 10 selections, if the Raiders can get a good deal out of Russell equatable to Johnson, great move by them.
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

hmmm

If the Raiders do sign CJ can they start negotiations to trade the pick/rights right afterwards? Or do they have to wait until the draft?

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
      Originally posted by Scott Wright
      Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.

Comment

hope they get a deal done soon for one of them since i wont be able to watch the 1st couple of rounds since i have a track meet. hope its CJ

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
        @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderNation View Post
          hope they get a deal done soon for one of them since i wont be able to watch the 1st couple of rounds since i have a track meet. hope its CJ
          Good luck!

Comment

It would be cool to get a deal done with someone before the draft like the Texans did.
            Taking a Knapp.

Comment

Originally posted by NIN1984 View Post
              It would be cool to get a deal done with someone before the draft like the Texans did.
              Yeah it would be cool, but then the draft gets less interesting.

Comment

That would totally suck the fun out of the draft. No anticipation for who we'll take #1 would just ruin my day (especially if they signed the guy I don't want).

Comment

this move could possibly save us money and the player will not hold out in order to get a bigger contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Stash View Post
                    That would totally suck the fun out of the draft. No anticipation for who we'll take #1 would just ruin my day (especially if they signed the guy I don't want).
                    why would we risk a holdout?
                    Peyton Manning Fanboy
                    Originally posted by Complex
                    They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Stash View Post
                      You aren't in a constant state of anticipation right now?

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
                      Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Komp View Post
                        You aren't in a constant state of anticipation right now?
                        I am, what I was saying is if we got a deal done with a player before the draft like someone mentioned, then I wouldn't have as much to anticipate.

Comment

I hate to disapoint all of you CJ Homers out there but Big AL is going to go aginist his normal treditiion and pick either Russell or Quinn. CJ will be a great player in the NFL but he is not a player the Raiders need right now.

THe WR touchs the ball at the most 10-15 times per game. The QB touchs the ball on every play and is much more imprtant to have a franchise QB than a Franchise WR. IF you do not have a franchise QB your WR won't produce to level that they should. You need a QB to be able to read defenses and have time to throw the ball to his WR's.

The Raiders Need to Take Russell or Quinn then in the 2nd and 3rd rounds
                          take Offensive line men. The Players that I would pick in the Second Justin*Blalock to Play RT or Ryan*Kalil. If I were drafting for the Raiders I would go with Justin Blaylock who IMO is more verstile. If the Raiders feel that Newberry is healthy then he is one of the best centers in the NFL. We also have Morris and and Grove so a center only is not nessary in round 2
                          thsi is not a rap in any way on Ryan Kalil. if we want to pick a Center we could wait until or picks 99 and 100 and Grab Doug Datish.

In Round 3 I would Take either OT Marshall Yanda or with 99 or 100 take Mike Otto both who can play Guard and OT and are projected to fit very well in the ZBS sytem that we are using.

If we Picked Blaylock and Yanda I could see our line looing like this;
                          RT BLaylock/Green RG Boothe/ Blaylock Center Newberry, LG Carlise/Yanda
                          LT Gallery Simms. I personaly do not see Simms making the team this year if we draft either Blalock or Yanda. I would use MCQ as a Swing Guard and Tackle. someone to fill when a olineman goes down.

In round 5 I would draft Chase Johnson OLT and put him on the Practice Squad to bulk upwith our 4 the round pick I would draft a DT/DE and with one of our 5th round picks I would Louis Lenoard DT Fresno and in the 6th I would Take DT Joe Anoai
                          Tha would fill our Dline and Oline andwe can look at Skill postions in Next years Draft
                          and grap a TE and WR if e need one.

If Mike Williams gets cut I would pick him up I would even trade a late round Pick for him. I kown he has not produced in MIke Martz's offensebut that is because Mike Martz favors small speedy recivers. I would use Williams as a 2 WR or a Slot Reciever both of wich he would excel at in olur new offense. Besides big AL likes to save reclaim players for oblivion.
                          Last edited by RaiderMike; 04-21-2007, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderMike View Post
                            I hate to disapoint all of you CJ Homers out there but Big AL is going to go aginist his normal treditiion and pick either Russell or Quinn. CJ will be a great player in the NFL but he is not a player the Raiders need right now.

THe WR touchs the ball at the most 10-15 times per game. The QB touchs the ball on every play and is much more imprtant to have a franchise QB than a Franchise WR. IF you do not have a franchise QB your WR won't produce to level that they should. You need a QB to be able to read defenses and have time to throw the ball to his WR's.

take Offensive line men. The Players that I would pick in the Second Justin*Blalock to Play RT or Ryan*Kalil. If I were drafting for the Raiders I would go with Justin Blaylock who IMO is more verstile. If the Raiders feel that Newberry is healthy then he is one of the best centers in the NFL. We also have Morris and and Grove so a center only is not nessary in round 2
                            thsi is not a rap in any way on Ryan Kalil. if we want to pick a Center we could wait until or picks 99 and 100 and Grab Doug Datish.

In Round 3 I would Take either OT Marshall Yanda or with 99 or 100 take Mike Otto both who can play Guard and OT and are projected to fit very well in the ZBS sytem that we are using.

LT Gallery Simms. I personaly do not see Simms making the team this year if we draft either Blalock or Yanda. I would use MCQ as a Swing Guard and Tackle. someone to fill when a olineman goes down.

In round 5 I would draft Chase Johnson OLT and put him on the Practice Squad to bulk upwith our 4 the round pick I would draft a DT/DE and with one of our 5th round picks I would Louis Lenoard DT Fresno and in the 6th I would Take DT Joe Anoai
                            Tha would fill our Dline and Oline andwe can look at Skill postions in Next years Draft

If Mike Williams gets cut I would pick him up I would even trade a late round Pick for him. I kown he has not produced in MIke Martz's offensebut that is because Mike Martz favors small speedy recivers. I would use Williams as a 2 WR or a Slot Reciever both of wich he would excel at in olur new offense. Besides big AL likes to save reclaim players for oblivion.

i agree except that we need to take a Defensive end with our 2nd or 3rd pick
                            soma relax

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderMike View Post

Nice post Mike. I couldn't agree more with your JR/CJ analysis.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information