2007 Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
    I would draft him in the third or fourth. He may be a little bit of a reach, but his talent would make up for it. My biggest needs, IMO for the Eagles are:
    3. Nickel CB. This may not be a need for long, because Rod Hood is not getting the kind of interest he thought he was going to get. So maybe he ends up back in Midnight Green. If not Will James is another possibility.
    7. WR. This is is Donte doesn't re-sign, but I think this offense could be successful without him. We could look for a middle round speed WR to give us a deep threat if we lose Donte, but I still don't think we absolutely need a WR
    8. OLB. Most would have this higher up on their draft boards. We could go with this in the earlier rounds if there is someone the FO likes, but I don't think we will. Here is my reasoning. The organization did say Gaither is our future at MIKE, but he is better suited to play WILL. If we draft an OLB early though, that means Gaither IS our future MLB and I am wrong. Some could argue that this and MLB should be switched, but I would disagree.
    Nickel can be addressed in the draft pretty easily. Hood might want a contract bigger than the Eagles really want to give. Fred Bennett would be an awesome pick in the third, he's a very solid player, and looks like a great nickel prospect, and maybe an eventual starter.

For WR: If Donte doesn't come back, this need is certainly higher than 7. Donte was huge for us last season. He has the speed the rest of our receivers lack and really helped our offense to be as explosive as it was.

OLB: This should be higher. We have no need of a weakside LB, but strongside is certainly a need. I don't really trust Gocong at strongside, and would like it if we draft a strongside LB so we can keep Gocong at DE.

Comment

Depending on what happens in FA I may need to change that. But I also took into account from what I have heard from the FO. They say they aren't worried at LB (though they should be) or WR. (Personally, I think give Baskett and Avant their shot) That is why those two are so low on my board of needs. About Hood, he isn't getting all that much attention, and may be back next year, so who knows, if so , its one less hole that we need to fill in the draft.
      Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

You must always take what the FO says with a grain of salt. Especially before the draft. They aren't going to say anything that could potentially give away what area they are going to address in the draft. It's all smoke-screens right now.

Comment

I know, but I think they agree as well, that the LB corp most likely won't be addressed until the draft, with MLB as the most pressing need.

Comment

Of course we won't address it before the draft, but it's still a big need. Right now the LB FA's would be nothing more than depth which we don't need.

Comment

But do you think MLB is more important than OLB right now?

Comment

Right now, I think we can solve both problems with one player: Patrick Willis. If we draft him we could play him this season at SAM and then once Trotters gone move him back inside at MIKE. MLB is the bigger need right now though just because we are about to lose our starter because of age. Dhani Jones isn't a good SAM, and also needs to be replaced, so I'd say that SAM is also a need for us.

Comment

Anthony Waters is capable of playing any LB position as well. The only question with him is his injury. I would love to have either Willis or Waters on the Eagles.

Comment

I love Waters, but I don't know about him playing strongside. Maybe he could, but I doubt he would get significant playing time there. Since he's a 3rd or 4th round prospect unless he is a god on the field he won't get much PT just because that's how our FO works. If we draft Waters it will be to take over for Trotter when he's done, or if he is adept at the strongside to eventually supplant Dhani Jones. That's why I want Willis. Hopefully he will be so good in training camp that he will be chosen to start over Dhani this season.

Comment

Gocong is the guy who will replace the bowtie, not a draft pick. The FO really likes what they have seen out of Gocong and he may be the starter next year. He is smart, athletic, and strong, and he has great size for any LB position. Last I saw I think he was somewhere around 260 lbs. Either way you see it we are either going to replace WILL or MIKE. I see it at MIKE, because Gaither will probably stay at WILL, but no matter if he moves to MIKE or not Waters would be a great pick in the third or fourth.

Comment

I got some questions. I think that everybody agrees that we should use our high picks on a linbacker or safety. Now what If we sign Fowler (he agreed to an offer sheet, Philadelphiaeagles.com) and Mike Doss who supposedly talked to Andy personally (G-Cobb 610 WIP). What would we pick, we would have a ton of linebackers and 4 safeties (Dawk, Mikell, Considine, Doss)??? would we trade up? draft a WR???

sig by Jackalope

RIP VT Students 4/16/07

Vote McCain '08

Comment

I don't think Fowler isn't the answer by any means. He is a MLB who may not even make it past the final cuts IMO. (But this possible signing does lead me to belaive that Gaither is our WILL of the future. That is why I have been saying that so often) I wouldn't mind Doss, though. But if we sign Fowler and Doss, we could go DE still, or we could trade up. We would probably use next years picks as trade bait though, because we already have 10 or so picks next year, and that doesn't even include compensatory picks. But the problem with that is, we need a trading partner. And we all know how difficult that can be.

Comment

Doss is interesting, that would make safety a less pressing need. Like was said before regarding Gocong, I'm sure he will be capable playing SLB but I seriously doubt that he will be much of an improvement over Dhani. We need to bring in a playmaker and let Gocong play DE. We've seen how much better our defense is when we have a playmaker at OLB in Gaither, and I think Gocong would be more valuable to us at DE.

Comment

We drafted Gocong to be our SAM, and I have heard nothing that would change that. We haven't gone after any other SAMs in FA. Gocong would need to bulk up a little more anyway. Have you seen the film of him in college? Most of his big plays at DE were because he lined out so far wide and just took a b-line straight for the QB once the ball was snapped. He got by as a DE in college because of his speed. In the NFL, everyone is faster now. Gocong doesn't have any moves that a DE should have. He can't bull rush, spin, swim, push-and-pull, or anything. He is our future at SAM and that is how it will just end up being. Before you argue this, look at his tape from college, and you will see that he rarely, if ever, uses DE moves. And another thing if you look at the tape of his college years, Cal Poly had basically a LB at every position. They had very undersized D-linemen, the LBs, and most of their safety could pass for LBs as well. Just look at the tape and you will see what I mean.

Comment

Please point out where I said Gocong won't be playing strongside, or that he is incapable of doing so. That is not what I said. I said that the team would be better off if we brought in a true playmaking LB who is capable of playing strong side, and keeping Gocong at DE. Gocong over his years in college got used to playing with his hand in the dirt on the LOS. Of course most of his big plays came when he wasn't blocked. The same can be said for many college players in many different systems. As for not having ANY moves that a DE should have, that simply isn't true. His hand skills are not bad, and he is capable of using swim moves. Even by NFL standards he still has pretty good speed. If he were to play DE for us it would be 3rd string on his side of choice, most likely right. That's all we really need from a 3rd string DE. Just speed, to wear down the tackle while our other DE's get some rest. His "lack of moves" would also make a strong case for why he shouldn't play LB because many of these moves are shared between LB's and DE's. Gocong is a good natural athlete, and should probably be kept at a position where being athletic is one of if not the most important parts to the position. That's all I'm saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information