Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They gave us there 5th next year.

Comment

We got the OT Franklin Dunbar he was a guy that came down for a visit.

Comment

As an UDFA? Or are you confusing him with King Dunlap?

Edit - Oh I see they signed Dunbar, nevermind.
        Last edited by Go_Eagles77; 04-27-2008, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonFireKai View Post
          I doubt Darrell Jackson will beat out Brown or Curtis. He's getting old, coming into a new offense, and has a history of dropping passes. He'll be competing with DeSean for the third spot.
          What the heck are you talking about? I'm pretty sure he was talking about Desean Jackson, not Darrell Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
            What the heck are you talking about? I'm pretty sure he was talking about Desean Jackson, not Darrell Jackson.
            On the West Coast, D Jax is Darrell Jackson. It's kind of like refering to Adrian Peterson, and wondering why everyone thinks that hack on the bears is a great running back. That and I was too hung over to really care to check.

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
            The Destroyer Is Manifest!
            I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk

Comment

Whether you thought he meant Darrell or DeSean, you were talking as if both are on the team...
              Nick Foles are you really my daddy??!..?

Comment

Originally posted by DragonFireKai View Post
                I doubt Darrell Jackson will beat out Brown or Curtis. He's getting old, coming into a new offense, and has a history of dropping passes. He'll be competing with DeSean for the third spot.

Do you even know what the red zone is? 1st and goal, 2nd and goal, 3rd and goal. Another tiny reciever running another slant won't help us, because he won't get open. The red zone is an area where traditional seperation is impossible, because space is constrained. In the red zone, you need a physical player who can forcibly establish his position. In our offense, that was usually accomplished by the TE, but LJ's health has been questionable the last few seasons, and Celek lacks the requisite body control.

What's not to like is that we still have holes elsewhere, and we decided to pick up a player who's going to be a rotational player at best. Depth is nice, but you need to patch the holes first. It doesn't matter how many good DTs you have if your safties and linebackers are weak. Rotational players can be had in the later rounds. The most probable place to get a starter calibur player is in the early rounds.

Really? You didn't put it together yet? OK. I'll spell it out for you. DeSean Jackson can't return kicks, Booker can.

I liked the first rounder, I don't like Quinten Demps.
                I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about with the Darrell Jackson part, but I had hoped by process of elimination you could figure out I was talking about Desean Jackson since Darrell Jackson isn't even on the Eagles. I will call Desean Jackson by his full name now so there won't be any more confusion.

You are confusing red zone offense and goal line offense. To clarify red zone offense is inside the 20 yard line, and goal line is 1st and goal, 2nd and goal, etc. Too many times were we in that awkward pre goal line offense and couldn't make anything happen and had to settle for field goals. If we can get a man to man matchup with either Kevin Curtis or Desean Jackson in that situation there is a good chance we can get a completion off a quick slant or out similar to what the Patriots often did with Wes Welker.

Alright what holes would you have "patched" in this situation? Who was on the board at the Eagles first pick that you would take that would get more playing time than a rotational DT. This draft was all about getting depth at key positions for the Eagles. OT, DT, S, CB are all positions that we picked not intending the players to start from day 1. Frankly we don't really need them to. The position where we needed an immediate impact is WR, and we got Desean Jackson right after Laws. You mentioned the LB position, but is another rookie really what we need in an already extremely young group? I would have been fine with us getting Dan Connor just in case Bradley doesn't work out, but Gocong and Gaither are fine.

Desean Jackson can't return kicks? What are you even talking about? He's a great return man, and while he may prefer returning punts, he can run in a straight line as fast as he can and get more yardage than either Reno Mahe or Correll Buckhalter. Desean Jackson is way too dynamic to not be given a chance to return kicks. Lorenzo Booker hasn't even returned a kick in the nfl because Ted Ginn, a player Desean Jackson is compared to frequently, got the nod as return man. I will be surprised if Booker even makes the team, it is a waste of a 4th round pick IMO.

As for Quinten Demps, I'm not surprised, you don't like anyone.
                Last edited by cunningham06; 04-28-2008, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cunningham06 View Post
                  I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about with the Darrell Jackson part, but I had hoped by process of elimination you could figure out I was talking about Desean Jackson since Darrell Jackson isn't even on the Eagles. I will call Desean Jackson by his full name now so there won't be any more confusion.
                  Lack of sleep and a wicked hangover will warp your perspective on most things.

You are confusing red zone offense and goal line offense. To clarify red zone offense is inside the 20 yard line, and goal line is 1st and goal, 2nd and goal, etc. Too many times were we in that awkward pre goal line offense and couldn't make anything happen and had to settle for field goals. If we can get a man to man matchup with either Kevin Curtis or Desean Jackson in that situation there is a good chance we can get a completion off a quick slant or out similar to what the Patriots often did with Wes Welker.
                  The goal of Red Zone offense is to score touchdowns. And we did not score TDs, and it wasn't because we stalled just inside the 20. We'd march right to the edge of the endzone, and just couldn't get it in the endzone. We had 50 drives reach inside the 20, only ten of them failed to get in a goal to go situation, and only two of those ten failed to score points. Of the 40 that did reach the goaline offense, 16 failed to score a TD, and 5 failed to score at all.

The problem isn't getting into the Goal line, it's converting those Soaline possesions into TDs. 40% of our goal to go possesions failed to score a TD, and 12.5% failed to score at all.

Alright what holes would you have "patched" in this situation? Who was on the board at the Eagles first pick that you would take that would get more playing time than a rotational DT. This draft was all about getting depth at key positions for the Eagles. OT, DT, S, CB are all positions that we picked not intending the players to start from day 1. Frankly we don't really need them to. The position where we needed an immediate impact is WR, and we got Desean Jackson right after Laws. You mentioned the LB position, but is another rookie really what we need in an already extremely young group? I would have been fine with us getting Dan Connor just in case Bradley doesn't work out, but Gocong and Gaither are fine.
                  I actually think Bradley will be an excellent player. Gocong however, failed to impress me since we drafted him. He's a liability in coverage, and failed to demonstrate the ability to generate a consistent pass rush, which was the main reason we took him. I would have prefered to pick up a LB like Connor or Crable, who I think would have had a good chance to start over Gocong.

Desean Jackson can't return kicks? What are you even talking about? He's a great return man, and while he may prefer returning punts, he can run in a straight line as fast as he can and get more yardage than either Reno Mahe or Correll Buckhalter. Desean Jackson is way too dynamic to not be given a chance to return kicks. Lorenzo Booker hasn't even returned a kick in the nfl because Ted Ginn, a player Desean Jackson is compared to frequently, got the nod as return man. I will be surprised if Booker even makes the team, it is a waste of a 4th round pick IMO.
                  There's more to returning kicks than running in a straight line. Kickoffs operate in more confined space than punts do. On a punt return, you need to beat three or four guys, because of the players who need to remain in order to block, there's maybe 6 or 7 players who are even capable of making a significant attempt at a tackle. On a kickoff return, there are no snappers and no blockers, so there's ten players out there who can consistantly make the tackle, and they start off in a pure coverage formation. You get set up for much harder hits on kick returns. So carrying an extra ten or twenty pounds over 170 is a huge plus.

Here's the difference between Ted Ginn coming out of college, and DeSean Jackson. Ted Ginn returned 38 kicks for 26.6 yards per return. Jackson returned 2 kicks for an average of 19 yards.

As for Quinten Demps, I'm not surprised, you don't like anyone.
                  There are plenty of players I like. Quinten Demps just isn't one of them. I'd have rather had Tyrell Johnson, DaJuan Morgan, Reggie Smith, or Thomas DeCoud. Any one of them would have been able to make a push for a starting spot at Saftey. I did like the Ikeguono pick. I think we could have gotten him a little later, but I think once he heals completely, he'll push Toastolio off the field completely.

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
                  The Destroyer Is Manifest!
                  I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk

Comment

DFK, I don't know if you are trying to be funny with Toastolio, or what but it is weird seeing him being referred to something that sounds like a breakfast cereal.:D
                    Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

For Kickoff returns its going to be

Demps vs. Booker vs. Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                        For Kickoff returns its going to be

Demps vs. Booker vs. Jackson.
                        That sounds much better than Reno Mahe vs. Greg Lewis vs. JR Reed
                        Last edited by Go_Eagles77; 04-28-2008, 06:23 PM.

Comment

I forgot about Reed throw him in the mix

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                            I forgot about Reed throw him in the mix
                            NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
                            Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information