No announcement yet.

Tales from Eagles 2009 Training Camp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This morning's practice was held under weather perfectly fitting for the situation the team is in since last evening, as the clouds covered the sky the entire time, with the heat and humidity still oppressive, despite the temperature being only about 75. The mood was different than it was yesterday afternoon, but it was pretty much a normal day.

Watching the linemen, MJG wasn't out today, and I'm unsure the reason for him not being there, hopefully it has nothing to do with his injury. Donovan was absent again this morning, and I don't know why he was gone yet either.

The linemen were once again doing drills that involved pulling, this time working more with the space around them and perfecting "dive blocks". Once again, Paul Fanaika and King Dunlap looked good, and were getting lots of praise from Juan Castillo. Stacey Andrews looked good in the drill as well while pulling, but Castillo was talking to something about his approach to the blocking dummy. You can always tell when Castillo sees something he doesn't like, as you'll hear him saying, "Whoa", and you'll always knwo when he likes something one of the linemne has done as well. Fenuki Tupuo was real high throughout this drill, and it was something Castillo was talking with him throughout. They then moved on to some pass blocking, and Castillo was drving home the point about using your hips and upper legs to get that initial power to neutralize the defender. Most of the linemen looked real good throughout.

There were some 7 on 7s, and Once again, McCoy was looking good when he was in. Same goes for Ingram, I think this will be a common occurance until the rest of the vets are here... Macho Harris also had a nice INT, and had a shot to make LeSean McCoy look silly, as he cut out then in, making McCoy do what he is used to doing to defenders. He must have been trying to make up for earlier in practice, while I was watching the linemen, one of the secondary coaches yelled at him, telling him to pay attention and get his chin strap in. A few plays later, McCoy would return the favor to Harris though, and spun right away from Harris after receiving it in the flat, causing the crowd to applaud. Every Amendola catch was applauded, and every Amendola catch was an easy one... He even gets applauded when he drops ball. Is it bad that I already hate Amendola for that pure fact alone?

Both Buckley and Malei did a better job of catching the ball this morning in their drills and "against air", as well as in the skeletons, which is great for them if they do somehow make the team. i wouldn't count on it though.

Marcus Thigpen also had trouble catching the ball, but Brandon Robinson looked pretty good out there, as well as McBride. I didn't see Brandon Gibson out there either, come to think of it, I wonder why he wasn't out there... I think Mike Gibson was also missing from the OL group.

I watched D-linemen Jervante Jackson and Josh Gain in fumble recovery drills. It was ugly, neither coudl get a truly good grasp on the ball, and a lot of them would defintiely have been recovered by someone else if it was a game situation. I also noticed that Charleston Hughes seems to have great , even natural, hands for a LB.

As a whole, in the offense-defense matchups throughout practice, I did notice a better level of play from the defense, with a lot more incompletions than yesterday.

This was the shortest of the practices I've been to so far, lasting about an hour and 15 minutes.

Also, one thing to mention... I had a bad feeling yesterday as I was walking in to the afternoon practice, so much so that I thought that maybe one of the players was going to get hurt, one of those "expecting something bad" feelings. I just find it wierd that I had that feeling when everything with Jim Johnson was happening.
    Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

I am amazed at Cornelius Ingram, he makes incredible catches. He uses his size and speed and the man can jump. If he keeps this torrid pace up, Ingram will be starting soon enough. Granted the pads aren't out yet but he is just soo impressive right now. I can't wait to see him this season split out wide, lined up as the TE and playing the H-Back role. He will be a good one.

Also I've heard Macho Harris is playing well, but he is not up to speed. He missed some OTA's with injury and fell behind and I read that he got yelled at for not being prepared for a play and not having his chinstrap on (meaning he wasn't paying attention and was zoning out).

I haven't heard anything about Jack Ikewuonu, any news on him? I expect big things from him.

Comment

Todays practices are closed to the public, but they will be open later and Eagles Live will be on at 6 so hopefully they'll have some footage.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
          Todays practices are closed to the public, but they will be open later and Eagles Live will be on at 6 so hopefully they'll have some footage.
          YAY Spadaro

Thanks Eaglez.Fan

For Everybody:
          http://youtube.com/watch?v=w5bk7S9z20A

R.I.P. JJ

Comment

Let it be known that I do not watch for Spadaro's talk show skills, I watch for the the practice clips...

Comment

Let it be known that I do not watch for Spadaro's talk show skills, I watch for the the practice clips...
              I love the people who call in and just say dumb stuff like after Dave says there is no new news on Jmac's contract people ask how hes doing in camp. It always puts a smile on my face.

Thanks Eaglez.Fan

For Everybody:
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=w5bk7S9z20A

R.I.P. JJ

Comment

I am amazed at Cornelius Ingram, he makes incredible catches. He uses his size and speed and the man can jump. If he keeps this torrid pace up, Ingram will be starting soon enough. Granted the pads aren't out yet but he is just soo impressive right now. I can't wait to see him this season split out wide, lined up as the TE and playing the H-Back role. He will be a good one.

Also I've heard Macho Harris is playing well, but he is not up to speed. He missed some OTA's with injury and fell behind and I read that he got yelled at for not being prepared for a play and not having his chinstrap on (meaning he wasn't paying attention and was zoning out).

I haven't heard anything about Jack Ikewuonu, any news on him? I expect big things from him.
                Ingram and McCoy are the unquestioned start so far. Boith have done everything right. they are making plays, looking good, and most importantly, understanding what they should be doing. Harris has looked good so far, and if there is a 3rd star so far in TC, it might be him, though Charleston hughes has looked good.

Ike has been doing a pretty good job so far. He hasn't been making too many picks, that get notoriety, but he is covering well and is breaking up some passes.

Comment

Bingo... you guys participate in the chats too?

Comment

No I do not.

Also I read todays practice blog:
                    http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/bloghead/

Some things that stood out:
                    The amount of injuries, Asante Samuel, Jason Peters, Macho Harris, Brian Westbrook and Trevor Laws were all out with injuries.

Also the starting offensive line in the absence of Jason Peters was:
                    LT: Herramens LG: Cole C: Jackson RG: WINSTON JUSTICE (WTF?) RT: Shawn Andrews

Where is Stacy? He was not listed as injured and he has supposedly looked very good so why in the hell is Winston Justice at RG over him?

Also the second team defensive line looks really funky: Darren Howard at weakside DE, Dan Klecko playing NT, Jervonte Jackson at UT and Chris Clemons at strong side DE.

That IMO should be flipped. Howard is a big and strong guy who can easily play LE, Klecko doesn't even weigh 280 pounds and he is the NT over Jervonte Jackson who was listed at 350 pounds in college? Not to mention Klecko is much better suited for UT duties and Clemons is a RE through and through.

Comment

It seems I have misread the blog.

It is Stacy Andrews starting at RG and Winston Justice starting at RT and they just said that Shawn Andrews has yet to be seen on the practice field. Well at least we've been through this before...

Also Tank Daniels is supposedly looking good.

Comment

Well this sucks:
                        4:45 PM - Andy Reid just gave quick injury word on the guys missing from practice. Six players will be placed on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list: Brian Westbrook, Victor Abiamiri, Shawn Andrews who's back tightened up on him after the running this morning, Trevor Laws who has a hamstring issue, Jason Peters who has a quad spam, and Asante Samuel who has a hamstring spasm (BW)
                        4:56 PM - Two more injury notes from the Andy Reid press conference. Macho Harris has a slight high ankle sprain that he suffered on the last play of yesterday's practice and Byron Parker has slight hamstring problem. (BW)

Comment

That no biggie, its just saying they can't practice... But with all the injuries being minor, there is no real big thing to be worried about right now. Macho Harris' high ankle sprain is the most serious one, and he'll probably even be back in time for TC. Nothing to be worried about in terms of injuries.

Comment

No I do not.

Also I read todays practice blog:
                            http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/bloghead/

Some things that stood out:
                            The amount of injuries, Asante Samuel, Jason Peters, Macho Harris, Brian Westbrook and Trevor Laws were all out with injuries.

Also the starting offensive line in the absence of Jason Peters was:
                            LT: Herramens LG: Cole C: Jackson RG: WINSTON JUSTICE (WTF?) RT: Shawn Andrews

Where is Stacy? He was not listed as injured and he has supposedly looked very good so why in the hell is Winston Justice at RG over him?

Also the second team defensive line looks really funky: Darren Howard at weakside DE, Dan Klecko playing NT, Jervonte Jackson at UT and Chris Clemons at strong side DE.

That IMO should be flipped. Howard is a big and strong guy who can easily play LE, Klecko doesn't even weigh 280 pounds and he is the NT over Jervonte Jackson who was listed at 350 pounds in college? Not to mention Klecko is much better suited for UT duties and Clemons is a RE through and through
                            With how the defense is ran, RDT and LDT don't mean NT or UT, they literally mean Right and Left, lol. However, depending on who is in, you will see they line up in different spots. the LDT, depending on who is in, if its Bunk, will be more in a 0, 1, or 2 (usually 1) technique, and if it is Klecko, he'll be in a 3 or 4 (usually 3). But when Klecko is in, the other DT will usually be in that 1 technique, you know what I mean?

Comment

Any word on Winston Justice?

I actually like the Chris Clemons at strongside DE for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by superman8456 View Post
                                Any word on Winston Justice?

I actually like the Chris Clemons at strongside DE for some reason.
                                Not him specifically, but the OL got beat up this morning, Trent Cole was ecverywhere. Clemons played LE last season in most of his snaps. Keep in mind that he is the strong side DE in passing situations, where "strong side" doesn't really matter as much, as his role is to just pin his ear back and fly to the ball. It may just be a matter of Howard being more comfortable pass rushing form the right and Clemons on the left, you know what I mean? If you haven't played the positions, most people don't even realize there is a difference, but for some guys, they just feel better with one of their shoulders outside rather than the other...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information