No announcement yet.

Tales from Eagles 2009 Training Camp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well today's afternoon practice was shorter than the previous afternoon practices. Good news was that Jason Peters and Asante Samuel were practicing. I saw Jervonte Jackson limping around a lot though, so I'm wondering if he was cramping or something, because he was practicing the whole day... Whatever it was, it wasn't too serious by the looks of it.

Another day, another great practice for Shady. I'm not sure if I said it before, but this is basically what DeSean was like last year, only at WR... Its getting to the point where you expect great things from him, much like DeSean. If your expectations aren't high for this guy, I suggest changing your tune, and if you don't, you will the first time you actually get a chance to watch him play for real. I'm not one for talking players up that haven't played a down, but Shady is the real deal people... He knows exactly what he is doing every play it seems, he had one mistake where he timed the snap poorly when he was put in motion out wide to the left, and had a false start as a result, but came back the next play and executed to perfection. As said as that may seem, that is the biggest mistake I've seen him have mentally, and he fixed it right away.

Sean Jones finally made an impression on me, and it was a good one, he had at least two INTs in a day where Kolb and Feeley combined for 8 of them, I'm not sure if they were defensive oriented drills though, so take the 8 INTs like it is a grain of salt... Kolb only threw two of them by the way. He hasn't really looked good or bad to me yet. Donovan was clean this practice in terms of INTs, but the DL, especially the DEs, came out in force again. Cole, Howard, Smith, Parker, Patterson, and Bunk all had would-be sacks. Let it be known that 3 of the 8 INTs were after these would-be sacks.

The offense seemed to be testing Mays, and I'd say he passed the challenge today. He broke up a pass, and if it were a game situation, would have been in position to make a play on a lot of other balls thrown his way. Charleston Hughes had a nice INT as well. It seems Gocong has taken lead of the LBs, which kind of seems odd considering he seems like a relatviley quiet guy. But he is the one leading the LBs to the drills this afternoon. Honestly, I expected Gaither woudl be the one stepping into that role, considerng his vocal nature. Gaither was in on passing downs, but I didn't really see much of him once the ball was snapped, which isn't a bad thing considering the type of practice it was.

Mikell and Demps are impressing me big-time. Demps especially since I expect it from Mikell. Demps gets an INT or pass break up every practice, it really is uncanny. Everyone talks about the loss of Dawk as a playmaker, we may have a playmaker in Demps, though in a slightly different breed. He always looks intense out on the field, even though its practice, I really like how he is working out there, and it is showing through. I can see why the coaches love him so much.

Asante broke up a pass with the back of his helmet, that was pretty much the extent of his action today... Sheldon continued his great camp, as did Jackson and Celek, and Ingram also made some plays, though i must say he seems to be diminishing a bit as the camp goes on due to the impact that Celek is having...

Its official, I have a man-crush on Leonard Weaver. That is all.
    Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Sorry I haven't gotten any info up, but my internet has been acting screwey, really pissing me off. Yesterday Shady continued to impress in pass protection, and Maclin looked real nice out there, he has great hands, but as advertisedr, needs to work on his route running. Ingram sat out, but he was back today.

Today Shady continued his performances. There really isn't much more to say than to expect big things from him. He does everything and does it well, he lines up all over the formations, and shows great understanding of the playbook. Has had very very few mental mistakes, which is the most promising thing at this point. His athletecism is unquestioned, but his demeanor as a blocker is what is the most surprising and enjoyable for me. He tries to punish people in those drills, and I love that about him.

A few notes....

Don't expect OL Chirs Patirck to make the team, or even the PS, if he is eligible. He is easily the worst linemen, offense or defense, in camp.

King Dunlap has been looking good. Despite his height, he is able to get low enough to neutralize our pass rushers, and has had some good battles with Trent Cole, who may be having one of the best performances in the entire camp thus far.

Say what you want about Winston Justice over the past few years, but he is having a helluva camp. I was anticipating at least a battle for the backup RT roster position, but with how Tupou has played, don't expect anyone else but Justice there as the #2 RT this season, barring injury.

Eldra Buckley is beginning to look more attractive as the 3rd RB option to me, despite his inabilities as a blocker. (Though still better than Eckel and much better than Booker) He is a downhill runner that reminds me a little bit of Correl Buckhalter in his running style, though he isn't as good of a receiver as Bucky was for us...

Schoebel, despite being injured, is safe on the team. I had hopes Eugene Bright could come in and beat him for the #3 TE position and be a valuable blocker, but point blank, Bright sucks at blocking, he doesn't have enough speed or quickness to adjust to any moves. His hands aren't as good as they looked before the pads wnet on either...

Maclin has looked good the past two days, gets lot of help from the entire receiver group. Good hands, real good hands.

DeSean has been his usual self, he is a beast, and wuite possibly the smallest beast in the NFL.

The whole secondary has looked good. A lot of fans will confuse the drills where the defense basically allows the offense to make plays for the defense getting beat, but those are the ones who need their brains checked.

Cole and out DTs have looked great, actually the whole DL has looked great.

Mays is filling in admirably so far, and is doing just about what I expected once he was given reps with first team defense. Real good at stopping the run, and could improve his coverage, though he is always within a step of his man in coverage...

Gocong and Jordan have been playing real well.

Weaver is a man, that is all.

Comment

I absolutely love our oline depth. Its great and gives me great confidence going into next season. Especially when Shawn Andrews cant stay on the field to save his life. Shawn is wearing down my patience extremely fast.

How has Kevin Kolb looked? I've heard some people say some promising things.

Comment

I still have faith in Winston Justice. Thought it was a mistake to pass on him on draft day. Good to hear he's trying to salvage his career.

Comment

Originally posted by superman8456 View Post
            I absolutely love our oline depth. Its great and gives me great confidence going into next season. Especially when Shawn Andrews cant stay on the field to save his life. Shawn is wearing down my patience extremely fast.

How has Kevin Kolb looked? I've heard some people say some promising things.
            Kolb has been alright. He is going up against the #1 D most of the time with the #2 offense, and since a lot of the drills he participates in are designed to create opportunities for defenders, it looks like he is really sturggling to the fans that don't understand how the practices are set up. But when his is in drills where he is needed to succeed, he does pretty well. He still holds on to the ball a little to long for my liking, but there isn't much wrong with his actual throws. He is very accurate, and despite the ingorant fans thinking he can't throw past 30 yards, he has decent arm strength, and gets a nice tight spiral on most of his throws. He has good touch when needed as well, but he has had a few instances where you wonder why he made a certain decision. Overall it really is hard to say how he is doing since he doesn't get many true reps, but he isn't doing real well or real poorly. We will get a much better idea when the preseason games come around.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
              I still have faith in Winston Justice. Thought it was a mistake to pass on him on draft day. Good to hear he's trying to salvage his career.
              He looked good last year in TC and the preseason as well, It'll be hard for him to truly slavage his reputation as a good football player until he gets an extended opportunity to do so, and with tht Eagles, he won't have much opportunity to do that... I still believe he will be a solid backup along our OL, specifically at RT...

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information