No announcement yet.

Desean Jackson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was easily my favourite player of last years draft. I was so disappointed that the Buc's got Dexter instead of Desean. I wish we'd just taken him in the 1st round.

Comment

Originally posted by u8pp View Post
      Dude's going to be a superstar. I remember being heckled and outcast on another site because I said they should take him instead of Sweed, Kelly or Thomas. Wow, talk about fail.
      I too wanted Sweed, or even Kelly over DeSean, and man was I wrong...
      Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
        Lets put it this way, the hype machine is in full swing, but DeSean has done more than enough to get it there. He is doing just about everything well. As far as him not going over the middle, D-Unit, (not trying to be offensive here, but it is what it is) you are talking out of your ass. Either that, or you simply haven't seen enough of him to comment on him. I can't tell you how many times he'd go over the middle and he'd get absolutely hammered, and I'd just hope he'd get back up. And every time he did, though sometimes slower than others. He was always right back in the action though.

As far as blocking goes, we know he'll never be a beast blocking WR, that's just the way it is. But it isn't due to a lack of effort, he is out there all the time downfield, doing whatever he can to get in the way or slow down defneders, and was crucial to a lot of big plays las tyear in extending them further, or just enough to get us a TD. An example of that is Brian Westbrook on the screen last year against the Vikings.

DeSean really does do it all, short, intermediate and deep routes on the outsides or through the middle of the defense, as well as running the ball. I expect big big things from him this season, and as long as he is healthy, I am almost certain I will not be let down...
        I wanted the Cowboys to draft him, but at least I was honest in what he can and can't do. He's not a physical receiver, he has problems if you jam him off the line, blocking sucks, and is not a great red zone target.

He's got great hands, is awesome in the open field, has speed to burn and is a real WR and not just a return man ala Ted Ginn.

If you keep running him across the middle, you'll break him. DO it.

Comment

I too wanted Sweed, or even Kelly over DeSean, and man was I wrong...
          Yeah, I dunno why you would ever think that. Sweed and Kelly over Desean??? Devin Thomas I could see. Sweed and Kelly.. bleh.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            I wanted the Cowboys to draft him, but at least I was honest in what he can and can't do. He's not a physical receiver, he has problems if you jam him off the line, blocking sucks, and is not a great red zone target.

He's got great hands, is awesome in the open field, has speed to burn and is a real WR and not just a return man ala Ted Ginn.

Ginn is more then a return man. He doesnt even return kicks anymore. He's one of our starting WR's and is turning into a damn good one at that. Its nite and day compared to what he could do as a rookie to what he can do now. He's on the verge of a breakout season this season and the coaches has nothing but praise for him.

Props to fenikz on the awesome sig

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post

I'm not the one making decisions, so maybe you should send this to Reid...

You said he doesn't do these things, i.e. going across the middle, when there is plenty of proof that he has and does. Yeah he may not be the best blocker, but he does all he can do and has successfully gotten in the way enough to help break some plays for us. That is all we can hope for. DeSean can be a decent Red Zone target, though will never be a good one, I agree there, he just needs to be used better, implementing guick slants.

As for his inability to beat the jam, he's made tons of progress there, he won't overpower many CBs, but he uses his quickness in both his feet and hands to beat it. I want people to jam him, because he was beating the jam all camp and so far in the preseason.

The fact is, you said things that aren't true.
              You said he doesn't go over the middle. He does.

He isn't physical, I agree, no one said he was.

Problems with the jam? Jam him, I dare you. (lol)

Blocking is not good, no one said it would be, but his effort has certainly helped us a lot

No one said he was a great red-zone target...

There are very few truly complete WRs in this league, but DeSean runs all the different routes asked of him, he is a complete WR in the fact that he can run any route asked of him, and contribute in many aspects of the game.

You will almost never find a receiver who is very good in these three aspects of play: Receiving, blocking, and special teams. Hell, even our best WRs can only do two of these things, and DeSean is very good as a receiver and a returner. He isn't a great blocker, no one will debate that, but he has helped us in some plays with his ability to get in the way, for lack of a better word. My point for bringing this up... The greatest receivers in the NFL still weren't great in all three of these areas, but were great in at least two. In no way am I saying DeSean is comparable to the greats at the position right now, but as it stands at this moment, he is both a great returner and a great receiver, not to the level of the great, but he has the talent to further improve in all these areas.

I personally would love to know how DeSean is a one trick pony...
              Last edited by eaglesalltheway; 08-24-2009, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Da-Phins View Post

Ginn is more then a return man. He doesnt even return kicks anymore. He's one of our starting WR's and is turning into a damn good one at that. Its nite and day compared to what he could do as a rookie to what he can do now. He's on the verge of a breakout season this season and the coaches has nothing but praise for him.
                Believe it or not, I agree with you. Ginn has shown that he could break out this season. (Isn't it his third year...) Now I'm not saying he's going to have a huge huge year and fight Larry Fitgerald for best WR, but I think he will prove to be more of a WR this season, and not just a return man. I have noticed these things in the limitted time I've seen of him, and I was a big skeptic of his when he was new in the NFL, but he is showing he can be a potentially very good WR.

Comment

Believe it or not, I agree with you. Ginn has shown that he could break out this season. (Isn't it his third year...) Now I'm not saying he's going to have a huge huge year and fight Larry Fitgerald for best WR, but I think he will prove to be more of a WR this season, and not just a return man. I have noticed these things in the limitted time I've seen of him, and I was a big skeptic of his when he was new in the NFL, but he is showing he can be a potentially very good WR.
                  Yeah its his 3rd year. I was pissed when we drafted him esp with Quinn there. I fig he would be nothing more then a good returner and an below average-average WR. He proved me wrong on that. He has good hands, hes using that speed of his on a consistent bases while running routes, his route running is getting good and now he is making some catches across the middle. Something he didnt do much of before. I dont see him ever being a great WR, but a really good WR isnt out of the question.

Comment

Yeah its his 3rd year. I was pissed when we drafted him esp with Quinn there. I fig he would be nothing more then a good returner and an below average-average WR. He proved me wrong on that. He has good hands, hes using that speed of his on a consistent bases while running routes, his route running is getting good and now he is making some catches across the middle. Something he didnt do much of before. I dont see him ever being a great WR, but a really good WR isnt out of the question.
                    His route running is what made me switch my thoguht process. With his matural speed, both aspects (speed and route running) will seem better, the speed makes the route running a little better, and vice versa. He still needs to work a little bit yet, but he has shown great improvement on basically a complete lack of route running as a rookie. He will be the source of quite a few big plays for the Dolphins this year.

Comment

His route running is what made me switch my thoguht process. With his matural speed, both aspects (speed and route running) will seem better, the speed makes the route running a little better, and vice versa. He still needs to work a little bit yet, but he has shown great improvement on basically a complete lack of route running as a rookie. He will be the source of quite a few big plays for the Dolphins this year.
                      Alot of fans and local media think that Pennington is holding Ginn back from big plays due to Pennington's lack of arm strength.

Comment

Ginn's big plays will be limited as long as Chad Pennington is his QB. Now, if Chad Henne got in there... Ginn IMO would blow up just because he could use his incredible speed to make plays downfield instead of just getting throws underneath all the time and being forced to make plays.

EDIT: Wow, I swear I wrote this before you posted that, I promise!

Comment

Alot of fans and local media think that Pennington is holding Ginn back from big plays due to Pennington's lack of arm strength.
                          Though this is partially true, (Pennington has enoguh arm strength in my book, I've always thought his "lack of arm strength" was a little overblown, though there is some limitations with him, I do admit) I don't think this will truly hold Ginn back. It may limit his possibilities, but from a developmental standpoint, he may be able to do it, just not asked to because of Penningtons lack of elite arm strength.

Comment

Though this is partially true, (Pennington has enoguh arm strength in my book, I've always thought his "lack of arm strength" was a little overblown, though there is some limitations with him, I do admit) I don't think this will truly hold Ginn back. It may limit his possibilities, but from a developmental standpoint, he may be able to do it, just not asked to because of Penningtons lack of elite arm strength.
                            Im kinda iffy on the whole Pennington arm thing. He made one deep pass to Ginn against the Seahawks and it was perfect right on the money. Then there was a play against the bills that would of been a touchdown cause Ginn clearly got past his man but he had to slow down and jump catch the ball. Pennington couldnt hit him in stride on that play and it wasnt too far down field. Aslong as Pennington is under center, there wont be many deep plays called. Once its Henne's turn, I feel that is when Dan Henning will really open the playbook and go deep.

Comment

Im kinda iffy on the whole Pennington arm thing. He made one deep pass to Ginn against the Seahawks and it was perfect right on the money. Then there was a play against the bills that would of been a touchdown cause Ginn clearly got past his man but he had to slow down and jump catch the ball. Pennington couldnt hit him in stride on that play and it wasnt too far down field. Aslong as Pennington is under center, there wont be many deep plays called. Once its Henne's turn, I feel that is when Dan Henning will really open the playbook and go deep.
                              For sure, Henne doesn't have elite arm strength, but it is better than Pennington's, and for sure will allow more versatility with the passing options due to his arm strength, both in deep routes and as well as some routes to the sideline.

Comment

For sure, Henne doesn't have elite arm strength, but it is better than Pennington's, and for sure will allow more versatility with the passing options due to his arm strength, both in deep routes and as well as some routes to the sideline.
                                Yeah Henne arm is slightly above average but compared to Pennington, he has a cannon.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information