2010 Eagles Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
    Could he be a Reggie White? Gets old moves inside. Actually wait, Mario Williams, he is the closest thing to Reggie.
    No and No. Everson Griffen isn't close to Reggie White, imagine a bigger, stronger and slightly slower Dwight Freeney when you think of what Griffen can be. And Mario Williams isn't the next Reggie White, Reggie White is in a class of his own.

Comment

• After watching film of all of the DE prospects in this year's draft, I'm going to have to go ahead and say that Brandon Graham is the most impressive, in my opinion.

He could very well be the next Dwight Freeney in the NFL. If he puts up very solid numbers in the combine (i.e. sub 4.6 40), it would be a grievous mistake for the Eagles to pass on him @ 24, imho.

Then again, if he wrecks the Combine, the Patriots will most likely grab him before he drops to the 24th pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morton View Post
        After watching film of all of the DE prospects in this year's draft, I'm going to have to go ahead and say that Brandon Graham is the most impressive, in my opinion.

He could very well be the next Dwight Freeney in the NFL. If he puts up very solid numbers in the combine (i.e. sub 4.6 40), it would be a grievous mistake for the Eagles to pass on him @ 24, imho.

Then again, if he wrecks the Combine, the Patriots will most likely grab him before he drops to the 24th pick.
        I completely agree with everything in this post

Brandon Graham will go MUCH higher than people expect IMO and if the Eagles somehow get him in the 20s it will be a huge mistake for just about every team that passed on him.

Comment

• I just think he doesn't have the height requirement you look for in your first round DE.

As for Griffen, he is no Freeny. He has a nice spin move, and does a good job of using his hand and other moves, get good burst of the line as well. One thing, he does not look good rushing the passer standing up.

If he still played at 260, he could probably run at 4.5, 4.49.

Comment

• Who cares about height for DEs nowadays? If anything, guys like James Harrison, Dwight Freeney, and Elvis Dumervil have shown us that 6'0" DEs can sometimes be MORE effective than taller ones, because the combination of their shortness and bulk allows them to get better leverage on bigger tackles.

I'm going to go ahead and say it right now: *If* Brandon Graham posts a sub 4.6 40 at the Combine, he will become the same caliber of player as Dwight Freeney in the NFL, and will post double-digit sack numbers for YEARS to come. I will guarantee that he becomes a Pro Bowl DE, barring some catastrophic injury or something.

Comment

• Here's my first Eagles mock for 2010...

1. Greg Hardy, DE - Old Miss :
              Hardy could start from day 1. He's an elite pass rusher with great size (almost 6’4, 280) to put on the left side opposite Cole. Without his history of injury, Hardy would likely be a top 10 pick. And with the Eagles, character is a non-issue, so any of those rumblings about off field problems are pretty much irrelevant. The concerns are most likely overblown anyway. Being young and a football star can make guys act stupid sometimes. It's not like Hardy is a cold blooded torturer, but I digress.

The much bigger concern with Hardy is injury, but at pick 24 and with the Eagles overall situation at DE, it's worth it. While he's talented enough to start right away, he can be worked into the rotation, allowing his body to take less of a pounding early on while giving him a chance to work with an NFL training staff to build up and strengthen his frame. Parker and/or Abiamiri can play on 1st and 2nd down and short yardage and Hardy can come in and pin his ears back on 3rd down and/or long yardage. After Hardy develops into a more complete NLF player and proves he can stay healthy, he can be an every down force full time on the left side for a long time.

The Eagles also could look at CB or S here, but DE is a need at a premium position and must be addressed ASAP. Conversely, S is not, and while it is a major need, luckily for the Eagles, S is one of the deepest positions in the 2010 draft.

2. Kareem Jackson, CB - Alabama :
              Sheldon is starting to show his age, and with his contract issues/whining, it's time to think about the future. The Eagles have always looked ahead, and taking a corner early here actually parallels their approach when Sheldon himself was drafted. Samuel is great, but he's also 30, and Hanson is best suited in a nickel role. With Hobbs likely gone and nothing else on the roster worth noting, CB is actually a pretty big need.

Jackson was a 3 year starter at 2010 National Champion Alabama, and is known for effective man coverage, important in the Eagles blitzing scheme. He can come in and learn from some great players, allowing him to take over Sheldon's role as a starter possibly as early as oh'11.

3. Myron Rolle, S - Florida State :
              In a deep S class, the Eagles can and should hold off until the 3rd round to address this major need. DE and CB are just premium positions that need to be addressed first, while S can wait. In this class, even waiting til the 3rd can still land them a stud, which it does here. Rolle is good enough to play right away, and there's no question he'll be able to learn the playbook and every scheme they throw at him. He's smarter than anyone on the coaching staff as it is.

He will be a leader and the cliched "coach on the field" and he will bring size (almost 6’2, 220) and athleticism as well. Rolle will most likely play SS, and the Eagles should have no problem moving Quintin Mikell over to FS. They can then let Macho take a seat and learn how to play FS behind Mikell for another couple years. Demps can take his ass to the curb.

3. Joique Bell, RB - Wayne St:
              Small school prospect who can do it all. Good size at 5’11, 225, can run inside as well as catch passes (he apparently caught a lot of screens in school, which is a huge plus for the Eagles). Would be a great prospect to develop alongside McCoy.

The 3rd round is probably a little high for a guy out of such a low level program, but his skill set and potential make him a good value at the end of the 3rd, especially for a team that desperately needs another top back (whether BWest is back or not in ’10) to pair with McCoy.

4. AJ Edds, SLB – Iowa:
              Former TE knows how to cover on the strong side. Great size at 6’4, 245, underrated athleticism, and a smart player. Hopefully makes everyone forget the last Iowa LB the Eagles drafted.

Edds' draft position is going to hinge on how he measures out at the Combine. If he can show he can run and displays some athleticism, Edds might not even be available at this point in the 4th.

4. Jarrett Brown, QB - West Virginia:
              Only a 1 year starter, but Brown showed great athleticism and a good arm at the Senior Bowl. He is worth taking a shot on as a developmental prospect and someone who can contribute possibly in the Wildcat role down the road.

Brown's rawness means he should probably be drafted later, but the Eagles have no 5th round pick and if they like a guy, they need to make sure they get him. And a QB to develop is a big need, regardless of how the McNabb/Kolb/Vick issue plays out.

6. Chris Scott, OT - Tennessee:
              Big (6’5, 330) LT prospect could challenge Dunlap for a roster spot.

7. (proj. comp) AJ Wallace, CB - Penn State:
              More depth for the Secondary. Wallace has good size (6’, 195) and can return kicks.

7. (proj. comp) Erik Cook, C - New Mexico:
              Versatile lineman that Reid likes.
              Last edited by Havok69; 02-16-2010, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Uh Hardy probably will go in the second, and Edds in the 3rd. He is really moving up boards.

Most of those guys you mentioned play in the 3-4 as Olb. So B. Graham would be an excellent first as 3-4 olb, and I think a 3-4 team is going to draft him.

Comment

Uh Hardy probably will go in the second, and Edds in the 3rd. He is really moving up boards.

Most of those guys you mentioned play in the 3-4 as Olb. So B. Graham would be an excellent first as 3-4 olb, and I think a 3-4 team is going to draft him.
                  Uh, Hardy won't go in the 2nd if the Eagles take him at 24. Uh, LOL at know everything douches. But thanks for your well reasonsed feedback.

Comment

• Hardy won't go in the first. Too inconsistent and injury problems will scare teams off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Havok69 View Post
                      Uh, Hardy won't go in the 2nd if the Eagles take him at 24. Uh, LOL at know everything douches. But thanks for your well reasonsed feedback.
                      why would they take him at 24? He is to injury prone to be picked that high and there are other DE who you could take there. Brandon Graham will end up going before him. His motor runs hot and cold.

Comment

• If you're the Eagles, you don't keep your 1st round pick this year. There's not really any value there for us. I doubt Brandon Graham, Everson Griffin, or Earl Thomas last until our pick.

Comment

• For the Eagles rather move up and grab someone, they have been dropping back for a few years now, time to step up and grab a dynamic player.

Comment

• If we trade back and have two 2nd rounders this is how I would want it to play out:

2a) Nate Allen, S, USF
                            2b) Kareem Jackson/Donovan Warren/Dominique Franks, whichever is available
                            3a) Austen Lane/Lindsey Witten,whichever is available, preferably Lane
                            3b) Jon Jerry, OG, Ole Miss
                            4a) LeGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon
                            4b) Eric Olsen, C, Notre Dame
                            6a) Rodderick Muckleroy/Perry Riley, OLB
                            6b) Carlton Mithchell, WR, USF

Comment

why would they take him at 24? He is to injury prone to be picked that high and there are other DE who you could take there. Brandon Graham will end up going before him. His motor runs hot and cold.
                              I would love Graham, and I should have said this in my write-up, but Hardy is the pick assuming Graham is off the board.

Knowing what a huge need DE is, do you Hardy haters take Dunlap if he's there over Hardy? Griffin? Or are you all just "1st round Safeteyzzz" people?

I'm definitely on board with moving back, though.

Comment

• Yes to Griffen, really are you kidding me you would take Hardy over Griffen.

If Dunlap is there, he is just horrible, and move on to a different position. Dunlap is just another bust DE Gator waiting to happen. He doesn't play with that so called speed, he does have any pass rush moves, and his sacks come off over coverage.

I know Andy is not big on it, but 1st round RB maybe? No one know what the Eagles are going to do and this year could be a big surprise. I still think Dwyer will end up going somewhere need the bottom of the first, he is gonna rise in the coming months.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information