No announcement yet.

2010 Eagles Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles won't use a first on RB after spending a 2nd on McCoy last year. We'll probably use a mid round pick on a power back. As for DE I'd take Griffen. I don't want anything to do with Dunlap and Hardy isn't a first round pick. I don't see any reason for us trading down considering the amount of picks we already have. If anything I think we could see the Eagles trade up in the first.

Comment

• Running back is an overrated position. You can get solid production out of almost any running back given a good offensive line. Andy knows this, and would rather spend high picks on offensive lineman than running backs. Not only that, but in today's modern passing game, a true between-the-tackles running back has become less and less of an important asset.

The running backs from the past 10 years that I would be willing to spend a first round draft pick on (if I were a GM) I can count on one hand: LaDanian Tomlinson, Chris Johnson, Brian Westbrook, Adrian Peterson... And that doesn't take into account all of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks that have really contributed over the years.

There's only one running back in this year's class that might be worthy of a first round pick and that's CJ Spiller, who will probably be gone long before pick #24.

Comment

• Well that in between the tackles rb, would sure be help full, when in the redzone and your passing space is limited.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
          Well that in between the tackles rb, would sure be help full, when in the redzone and your passing space is limited.
          This. Or a tall WR.

Comment

• The point is - you don't have to blow a first round pick on running back. More than any other skill position, running backs are mostly interchangeable. You can get adequate red zone performance from any number of backs in the later rounds.

Not to mention that the real problem in the red zone for the Eagles this year was the offensive line, and not the running back. Once they stabilize the offensive line, and resign FB Leonard Weaver, either McCoy or any big 3rd round / 4th round back should be able to easily pick up those yards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morton View Post
              The point is - you don't have to blow a first round pick on running back. More than any other skill position, running backs are mostly interchangeable. You can get adequate red zone performance from any number of backs in the later rounds.

Not to mention that the real problem in the red zone for the Eagles this year was the offensive line, and not the running back. Once they stabilize the offensive line, and resign FB Leonard Weaver, either McCoy or any big 3rd round / 4th round back should be able to easily pick up those yards.
              I don't agree with your point that runners are interchangeable and you can get a runner in the late rounds, and here is why:
              Of the top 32 rushers in the NFL this season, 16 of them were 1st rounders, 4 were 2nd round picks, 3 were third round picks, 2 were 4th round picks, 2 were 5th round picks, none were 6th round picks, 1 was a 7th round pick and 4 were UFAs. Yeah not exactly what you're trying to depict.

But I do agree with you when you say the Eagles shouldn't waste a first round pick on a RB especially when the new starter is already in place (SHADY). Like you said if the Eagles feel as if they really need a power back there are a multitude of them available in the third and fourth rounds.

But I think a common misconception in this thread is that size=redzone success, which simply isn't true, we all saw what Hank Baskett did with his frame, absolutely nothing. And guys who are effective in the redzone are guys like Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Greg Jennings and at one point Laverneus Coles was fairly effective as well. What matters in the redzone is precision and execution, not power and size and I think part of the redzone woes is Donovan McNabb who as well all know isn't the most accurate guy and he struggles when the field is compacted the way it is in the redzone. Plus if anyone knew how effective execution and precision was in the redzone I would think Eagles fans would know after watching Brian Westbrook be a redzone beast for years and years and we all know he isn't a 6' tall 230 pound bruiser. LeSean McCoy does the same things Westbrook does and when he develops further I would expect to see McCoy used in many of the same ways Westbrook was, which should help redzone issues. Also I hate to turn this into a look at Kolb post, but while he doesn't have a McNabb style arm what he does have is accuracy and precision and former Eagles coach John Harbaugh noticed this when he called Kolb unstoppable in the redzone when he went against him in practice.

Comment

• What was the source of that Harbaugh quote about getting killed in the red zone, anyway?

When did Kolb practice against the Ravens? Am I missing something here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Morton View Post
                  What was the source of that Harbaugh quote about getting killed in the red zone, anyway?

When did Kolb practice against the Ravens? Am I missing something here?
                  Haurbaugh was the defensive backs coach of the Eagles and the source was Harbaugh himself he said it at a press conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by superman8456 View Post
                    If you're the Eagles, you don't keep your 1st round pick this year. There's not really any value there for us. I doubt Brandon Graham, Everson Griffin, or Earl Thomas last until our pick.
                    There is huge value for the Eagles first round pick. I think that we will look to trade up, not down. Defensive End and Safety are the Eagles top two needs and it is a strength of the draft. I think we will target a player and go get him.

Comment

• Trading up will not happen. The Eagles aren't stupid, this year is probably the last draft where rookies get free reign on the money they get and I doubt the Eagles will want to be one of the teams that will be paying one of the last huge rookie contracts.

Trade up a couple spots? Maybe but there is no way possible in my mind that the Eagles will trade into the top 16 to grab a player.

Comment

• What player would we trade up for? I don't see the point in trying to trade up for some of these DE's and S's. I would be so pissed if we traded up to get a Taylor Mays.

Comment

• Originally posted by superman8456 View Post
                          What player would we trade up for? I don't see the point in trying to trade up for some of these DE's and S's. I would be so pissed if we traded up to get a Taylor Mays.
                          did anyone expect Maclin to fall last year. If a good player is there move up.

Thanks Eaglez.Fan

For Everybody:
                          http://youtube.com/watch?v=w5bk7S9z20A

R.I.P. JJ

Comment

• Originally posted by camp_eagles View Post
                            did anyone expect Maclin to fall last year. If a good player is there move up.
                            Yes, but what I am saying is this: What good player that could help this team has the chance to fall to us?

Comment

• Earl Thomas, McClain, Morgan, Kindle, Griffen, Haden, last year they moved up 10 spots and didn't cost them and insane amount.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                                Earl Thomas, McClain, Morgan, Kindle, Griffen, Haden, last year they moved up 10 spots and didn't cost them and insane amount.
                                they? Are you referring to the Eagles? Because they moved up 2 spots, not 10.

Earl Thomas will be available for the Eagles, McClain isn't needed because of Stewart Bradley, Sergio Kindle will be there for the Eagles and so will Everson Griffen. Joe Haden is a top 10 prospect and Derrick Morgan would have to suck at the combine to fall far enough for the Eagles to trade up.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information